• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

EGM1966

I agree here completely. It's unfortunate that so many people say they hate the ending,
especially considering that, thematically, it's pretty much The Dark Knight's ending — (how many disliked that as well?)

The whole scene felt like it conveyed a lot of things:

- The Chancellor's guilt over letting Lucan join the order and even go on to become its head, despite being a lycan.
- Galahad and the Chancellor simultaneously knowing that they are both right and wrong.
- The sense that Lucan actually does care about the order / Comraderie with Galahad / his Father & Isabeau (when you fight him and he's still human, if you miss one of the QTEs and he stabs you he even says sorry).
- The sense that Lucan almost feels at ease that he no longer has to live under the weight of trying to be two things at once that are fiercely opposed to each other.
- Galahad's reluctance.

I won't try to convince anyone who doesn't enjoy it, but I personally feel it was excellent way to round off the story's arc while still leaving ground for future entries.
The writing, character animation and situation was terrific I though too. However I have to agree with others that the game doesn't real earn the investment that moment needs. We needed more time with
The Chancellor, with Lucan
, more context of their relationship over centuries for t to really resonate.

The game simple needed more time/moments with key characters to develop them more.

But I agree the scene was very good.
The Chancellors breaking voice, Lucan's sense of calm, Galahads reluctance and horror at where he's ended up. All good stuff but a little lost contextually.

The writing, character animation and situation was terrific I though too. However I have to agree with others that the game doesn't real earn the investment that moment needs. We needed more time with The Chancellor, with Lucan, more context of their relationshio over centuries for t to really resonate.

The game simple needed more time/moments with key characters to develop them more.

But I agree the scene was very good. The Chancellors breaking voice, Lucan's sense of calm, Galahads reluctance and horror at where he's ended up. All good stuff but a little lost contextually.

Maybe you should spoiler tag that stuff man

Huggers

Has Gaf viewed this game far more favourably then reviewers would you say? I just saw an ad for it on Youtube and it just looks so cool. I'm trying to persuade myself to pick it up!

Sean*O

Has Gaf viewed this game far more favourably then reviewers would you say? I just saw an ad for it on Youtube and it just looks so cool. I'm trying to persuade myself to pick it up!

Far more favorably based on watching this thread since release day.

There's definitely been people here that didn't care much.

That too, but nothing like the near unanimous trashing it took from the gaming media.

There's definitely been people here that didn't care much for it but I would say a large majority enjoyed their time with it, some more than others.

Dinjooh

Finished it last night on hard - play time was around 12-13 hours. There were some sections towards the end that dragged out because of some g'damn shotgunners.

Positives:
  • I was entertained all the way throughout - great pacing.
  • Galahad as a character is fantastic.
  • I really liked the
    stealth sequence at United India. Not sure if it was the graphical quality or what, but it felt really good seeing Galahad sneak around.
Negatives:
  • The Lycan
    battles were incredibly dissapointing.
  • The
    Alistair plot twist could be seen from Essex
  • While there was a wide array of weaponry, I found myself enjoying the simpler guns way more.
Overall I really liked it. Was not ready to let go of that world when it ended though - so many questions!

4/5

Huggers

There's definitely been people here that didn't care much for it but I would say a large majority enjoyed their time with it, some more than others.

Yeah I'm always slightly weary of hype from official threads but I dunno. This game just has a draw for me. Maybe I should hold out until it's a touch cheaper

doomquake

RAD definetly threw a curve ball... a AAA title in 2015 from the west without DLC tacked on and available for sale weeks before release?

Yeah I'm always slightly weary of hype from official threads but I dunno. This game just has a draw for me. Maybe I should hold out until it's a touch cheaper

If you don't think you will replay it then I would suggest renting it, if you don't have the means to rent then wait till it's a bit cheaper. Personally it's my most enjoyable experience this gen, but the game is divisive it can go either way.

That's fair. The game does have too little content. So either wait or buy now and sell fast. Or rent.

Having said that, i''m keeping it, hoping for DLC.

Huggers

If you don't think you will replay it then I would suggest renting it, if you don't have the means to rent then wait till it's a bit cheaper. Personally it's my most enjoyable experience this gen, but the game is divisive it can go either way.

Yeah I think this is the way forward for me. Annoyingly I have no means to rent it but I'm sure after some other big titles have released the price will drop a lot. Pleased though that despite the reviews people are digging it. Reviews rarely tell the full story

Lokimaru

Does the US exist is the Order? Seems the Knights would have put an end to the American Revolution real quick. They only ever refer to the new world as "The Americas" in the game. I'm also curious on the state of slavery in this world?

PepperedHam

Just finished the game, really loved it personally. Was a bit iffy on the ending but the more I let it sit the more I like it. It's late and I don't have it in me to give a full rundown of what I liked and didn't like, just enough to know that I am very much in this game's corner. I really want a sequel or DLC or something because I loved playing in this world.

Also is there anywhere to find my playtime or is it just guess work?

Pop

So just finished the game at around 7 1/2 hours. I absolutely enjoyed it. Love the setting the game is in. Sets the mood quite well.

I find the story quite engaging most of the time. Some parts were slow as expected. Lycan fights could have been better or more effort put into them. The characters were all fantastic, voice acting is top notch.

If I had to rate it, 8/10.

Betty

Banned
Does the US exist is the Order? Seems the Knights would have put an end to the American Revolution real quick. They only ever refer to the new world as "The Americas" in the game. I'm also curious on the state of slavery in this world?

In this universe Britan still control India, so slavery is probably still a thing.

Things I didn't realise until my second playthrough.

When you're down and have to use the blackwater with the triangle button, you then have to repeatably press X to fill up your blacksight. This would have made things much easier had I known it before. ( or read the onscreen description lolz). I only thought you had to press the X once to get up.

You can see reflections from the glass of your sniper locations on certain angles.

EFacFoc.gif

Lafayette is supposed to be the real Marquis de Lafayette who fought in both the American and French Revolution. He tells the girls in the brothel about being from America.

Melchiah

There's an interesting phonograph in the 9th chapter regarding the Americas...
Galahad can recover a phonograph cylinder from the warehouse in Chapter 9 which contains the diary of an aid to Sir Stanley, who is touring America in an airship. The aid notes that the "savages" of America have become more civilized, by which he explicitly does not mean the Native Americans, but rather the "guntoting, trigger-happy" cowboys of the Wild West.

RAD definetly threw a curve ball... a AAA title in 2015 from the west without DLC tacked on and available for sale weeks before release?

And no bugs!

I mean, what's with that!? Who the helll do these guys think they are, releasing a finished product like that! And there's no open world - I didn't get one damn fetch quest!

I'm writing my member of parliament...

Yeah and Galahad mentions to Lafayette about being an American Frenchman or something along those lines.

Speculation on sequel & Lafayette

I think - assuming there's a sequel. That he will be fighting on Galahads side. He said in Whitechapel that so long as you never oppose Liberty we'll never be enemies or something to that effect.

The end scene credits hint that the Order have removed Liberty

Speculation speculation

funkypie

Banned
it is definitely not interactive movie at all... this game has nothing to do with games like Heavy Rain. As soon as I read things like that, it is clear that people did not play the game, or at least did not go past chapter 2.
Basically, Heavy Rain is interactive movie type of the game where bread and butter of the gameplay is in QTEs. Gameplay in The Order is everywhere but in QTEs. QTEs are used to tell the story and provide some cinematics, but they are mostly not interactive.

So in Heavy Rain, main gameplay is based on interactive QTEs and in The Order, gameplay is based on shooting segments. Two completely different experiences, only things that are similar is heavy use of cinematics to tell the story.

Maybe if they added more interactive world and few ways of getting somewhere, it would have scored much higher with some reviewers. And make chapter 1 and 2 have more shooting and less cinematics, game would have likely scored 9's. Add some super hard mode when you finish hard mode and there you go with replayability.

I would not know since i die a lot even with aim assist.. so i must suck in TPS, which i do.

why do the order defenders instantly state it is clear when people did not play the game when they critise it? I created a thread for people to buy the game cheap ffs.

I loved it too.
And it made me rethink my complaints about the excessive use of button prompts. Felt like they overdid that on purpose to make a pointed lack of prompt in that final moment all the more powerful. The story and gameplay conspire together at that point to say "you know what to do" and you pull the trigger. CUT TO BLACK

It's just incredible. I don't want exposition dumps. I don't need everything tied up in a nice little bow. It's a messy, bold, emotional ending.
Well said, I agree.

Made some GIFs for you from my videos.
http://i.imgur.com/onimaZL.gif[/img
[img]http://i.imgur.com/8wSgNjT.gif[/img
[img]http://i.imgur.com/KePdCbG.gif[/img[/QUOTE]

O_O Very impressive. Almost looks like Resident Evil. Wish they'd take more inspiration from RE's (4!!!) gameplay design.

I just started the game last night, and got to Chapter 4. I don't understand why this game is receiving so much flack. The only thing I don't like are the way too small subtitles, a bit too QTE and cutscene heavy at times, and the constrained spacial issues it has during certain shootouts. Other than that, I'm finding it pretty enjoyable. Definitely not worth $60 to me though.

leng jai

I just started the game last night, and got to Chapter 4. I don't understand why this game is receiving so much flack. The only thing I don't like are the way too small subtitles, a bit too QTE and cutscene heavy at times, and the constrained spacial issues it has during certain shootouts. Other than that, I'm finding it pretty enjoyable. Definitely not worth $60 to me though.

You pretty much just pointed out exactly why the game has gotten so much "flack".

Beefy

Finished it last night on hard - play time was around 12-13 hours. There were some sections towards the end that dragged out because of some g'damn shotgunners.

Positives:
  • I was entertained all the way throughout - great pacing.
  • Galahad as a character is fantastic.
  • I really liked the
    stealth sequence at United India. Not sure if it was the graphical quality or what, but it felt really good seeing Galahad sneak around.
Negatives:
  • The Lycan
    battles were incredibly dissapointing.
  • The
    Alistair plot twist could be seen from Essex
  • While there was a wide array of weaponry, I found myself enjoying the simpler guns way more.
Overall I really liked it. Was not ready to let go of that world when it ended though - so many questions!

4/5

Yeah naming him
Sir Lucan
as well kind of gave it away.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The writing, character animation and situation was terrific I though too. However I have to agree with others that the game doesn't real earn the investment that moment needs. We needed more time with The Chancellor, with Lucan, more context of their relationshio over centuries for t to really resonate.

But I agree the scene was very good. The Chancellors breaking voice, Lucan's sense of calm, Galahads reluctance and horror at where he's ended up. All good stuff but a little lost contextually

I agree completely, I loved the ending, but I'm I think it
would have had more impact if it RAD had implemented some flashbacks that fleshed out the relationships between characters.

Just finished it.

I can't bring anything new to the table impressions wise but Ill just throw my hat in the ring to have it out there.

Graphics are a new standard across the board. So much so that games I used to find stunning look almost a generation behind. I loaded up Infamous to play with my nephew a bit and yeah nothing touches the Order.

Story and the world are excellent but ultimately underused. You can see evidence everywhere that the strain of them creating this new engine taxed every part of the team to the detriment of the game. They just didn't have the time necessary to finish it.

It is the most promising new franchise I have played this gen. I really hope RAD gets a chance to make a sequel because the series has a high ceiling of potential.

Funny enough if I had to give the game a score it would be 7.5/10 That said even though there are other games I would score higher I think of all the next gen games I have played this one will stay with me the most, which if anything is a testament that RAD has a bit of magic here they just need more of it.

Sojgat

I've been playing for an hour, and I'd say 90% of it has been force walking and cutscenes.

This game is putting me to sleep.

Funny enough if I had to give the game a score it would be 7.5/10 That said even though there are other games I would score higher I think of all the next gen games I have played this one will stay with me the most, which if anything is a testament that RAD has a bit of magic here they just need more of it.
I'd give it an 8 personally but it's just a number lol, in any case I full agree with you on the bolded. The world/story has me hooked more than any other game so far this gen.

Luke_Wal

What was your favorite chapter from the game? For me, it was definitely
going through the docks with Lakshmi. I think the colors of that area combined with her being such an interesting character was what really did it for me.

Handy Fake

In this universe Britan still control India, so slavery is probably still a thing.

In our universe, the British Raj controlled India until 1947.

Regarding slavery:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_Abolition_Act_1833

One would presume that they hadn't fiddled with that aspect of the world too much in this.

EDIT: The American Revolution was too much of a faff on, we didn't have the resources to send troops on a 6 month voyage. I think this kind of thing lies well outside The Order's role.

Got the soundtrack with the CE and it's a PS4 install as well. Is there a way to extract the soundtrack from PS4 to a usb so I can listen to it on a phone? This really pisses me off. I was expecting a CD.

I have my PS4 setup in my theater room where I utilize my surround sound system. This game was great, except I periodically had issues where some character voices were nearly muted (sounding like they were in a far off cave). Unfortunately, this happened for about the final 2 chapters -- this basically killed a lot of the emotion at the end of the game.

I did some research and found the cause of this seems to be The Order's lack of compatibility with surround sound (only stereo and headset supported).

Has anyone else had a similar problem? If so, any recommendations regarding how to fix it? I would love to fix & replay the final missions. Thanks!

Same here. Finally gave in and used my Gold headset. The sound is amazing with those. Too bad I couldn't utilize my surround sound with the wife at work. :(

You can see reflections from the glass of your sniper locations on certain angles.

EFacFoc.gif

They could do this but couldn't do reflections of the character...weird.

Z3M0G

I've been playing for an hour, and I'd say 90% of it has been force walking and cutscenes.

This game is putting me to sleep.

I really need this because I'm sure my GF will enjoy watching it... it's usually when the shooting starts that she suddenly dozes off...

Khayam

Banned
I'm at Chapter XV, stuck at the armory fight. Way too many people, way too small of a room to deal with everyone. Any tip ?

I've been pretty busy lately so my gaming has suffered a bit, but I was able to play a few more hours last night and got hooked. This game is really, sorely underrated. I think I hit Chapter 10 and it was quite difficult to put the game down. Combat feels so good in this game. I just really, really wish they allowed you to move further up to a piece of cover. It would make the combat flow that much better, but it is still really fun. I still can't wrap my head about those reviews...

I'm actually really, really enjoying the cutscenes. They are really well done and the voice acting is top notch. I've not been bored watching them and I like not being sure when a QTE will pop up too. Its funny, I'm having more fun and enjoyment out of this than I have been with Far Cry 4. They are so opposite each other in that one is straight linear and the other is completely open world. It is nice to play something that is nicely focused and very directed.

Paganmoon

Same here. Finally gave in and used my Gold headset. The sound is amazing with those. Too bad I couldn't utilize my surround sound with the wife at work. :(

They could do this but couldn't do reflections of the character...weird.

They could do that -because- there were no character reflections, should've reflected Galahad's eye otherwise :)

Coconut

Banned
So if they are the Knights of the Round it's safe to assume that the old man (which you never actually see is old that's just how Gallahad describes him) Percy is talking to is Merlin, right?

Also do the Lucians have tell for when you can attack them when you play half assed punch out against them?

I've been pretty busy lately so my gaming has suffered a bit, but I was able to play a few more hours last night and got hooked. This game is really, sorely underrated. I think I hit Chapter 10 and it was quite difficult to put the game down. Combat feels so good in this game. I just really, really wish they allowed you to move further up to a piece of cover. It would make the combat flow that much better, but it is still really fun. I still can't wrap my head about those reviews...

I'm actually really, really enjoying the cutscenes. They are really well done and the voice acting is top notch. I've not been bored watching them and I like not being sure when a QTE will pop up too. Its funny, I'm having more fun and enjoyment out of this than I have been with Far Cry 4. They are so opposite each other in that one is straight linear and the other is completely open world. It is nice to play something that is nicely focused and very directed.

I really enjoyed The Order 1886. It's the opposite for me though, I'm finally starting FarCry 4 and it's a breath of fresh air with the freedom.

I'm at Chapter XV, stuck at the armory fight. Way too many people, way too small of a room to deal with everyone. Any tip ?

Run around and melee. Then jump cover to cover and take out a few. Repeat. Always watch your 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock.

Top Bottom