• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

XikcZXol.jpg

Platinumed.

It was pretty easy via chapter select. Got all the missing battle trophies in the last encounters right before the end.

The only thing I wish they had were summary screens for the chapters so you know what documents/papers were missing for your quota. :(

Is that the Order theme that is $1.99?

It's quite sad that the game didn't meet the expectations I had in my head, instead of a more horror orientated Gears of War we got a period drama Heavy Rain with shoot outs thrown in. Am I the only one who pictured werewolf fights on foggy London streets, carriage chases with werewolfs leaping from the rooftops and hunting werewolves across the British countryside with a siege at a barn by moonlight?

Holy fuck what a waste of source material.

That would have been really awesome. I hope we see more action similar to what you described in a sequel.

nib95

Banned
Kyle Bosman review: 9.3
Estimated value: $105 USD

Please add to op

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/2dktwl/the-final-bosman-kyle-talks-about-the-order (around 11m:15s)

Haha, very clever video. Like the way he ties in the Spider-man play through's to The Order, even the excelsior line at the end (the silver lining). And yea, this was definitely the first game that truly made me feel like I was genuinely in an old air ship or blimp. As in, a real, flying, living and breathing one.

Comparing it to the one from Bioshock Infinite for example, if you're in to these sorts of things, the sense of wonderment and immersion is really quite fantastic.

613887109.jpg

370235437.jpg

TheOrder_1886_20150221005955.jpg~original

Ledhead

I kind of wish we fought more 'unique' enemies like the shotgunners and stuff. I would have enjoyed going against more arc gunners/thermite gunners.

Melchiah

The only thing I wish they had were summary screens for the chapters so you know what documents/papers were missing for your quota. :(

Is that the Order theme that is $1.99?

Yeah, it's the Whitechapel one.

I followed video instructions with the collectibles, but I had only missed a handful of them so it wasn't a big task. One of the phonographs was pretty sneakily inserted in the chapter 3, right after
the brothel.

I kind of wish we fought more 'unique' enemies like the shotgunners and stuff. I would have enjoyed going against more arc gunners/thermite gunners.

Were there even Arc Gunners? I remember the guys with Thermite Rifles, but they were underutilized, they actually made you stay active and move from cover to cover

HAnd yea, this was definitely the first game that truly made me feel like I was genuinely in an old air ship or blimp. As in, a real, flying, living and breathing one.
Totally agree, and was also blown away by many of the game's locations... the Hospital was equally convincing, thick with atmosphere, very creepy. Meahwhile the airship was this exciting piece of alternate history technology you got to explore. They did a great job of taking you through the entire vehicle: balloon hull, inner support structure, cabin, staff space, guest spaces, dining, kitchen... it was all so believable. It just wish when the
thing blew up
... you saw more...
instead of just waking up in the wreckage next to the destroyed Crystal Palace.
Seems it would have been a great spot for a string of QTE's
where you were fighting to hold on & stay protected, as the craft plummeted to the surface.

Jingo

Can someone help me:

In chapter 4 fighting the half breed, the tutorial said i can pull several knive attacks if i fill the bar, but after trying several times i can never fill to use that option, i know you can pass this scene without that trick, but i tought it would be cool to use it, can someone help?

Apath

Haha, very clever video. Like the way he ties in the Spider-man play through's to The Order, even the excelsior line at the end (the silver lining). And yea, this was definitely the first game that truly made me feel like I was genuinely in an old air ship or blimp. As in, a real, flying, living and breathing one.
Honestly it was the complete opposite for me. The only time it really felt like I was in a blimp was during the segments where can see outside or when the explosions went off and the blimp swayed. Otherwise it felt like you were in a very fancy building/structure.

So why did Galahad
not bother to speak up at any point during his trial? Could have quite easily been like "well Lucan is a werewolf and so is Lord Hastings". You'd think they could get some silver out and put it on there skin to test if he was telling the truth maybe?

sorry missed spoiler

oh man I almost yelled at the screen a few times in this game... mostly at the end though. I'm always doing that with movies and tv shows. speak up dammit!!!! I get the ending, why he didn't say anything but not at the trial.

Ok I think the problem many people, including you guys have, is not looking at this from a cultural prospective. This is Victorian London, they are still very orthodox in terms of position etc. In addition Vampires haven't been seen in a very long time, accusing someone like hastings with an inordinate amount of clout out of the blue, with no proof of his actions was insane. Gallahad knew this. Even if someone spoke up in his defense, they could have been treated as a colluder, and risk their names being tarnished, and potentially their lives.

Also as to you saying why not test them with silver, based off what we saw in the game, "monsters" dont so much react from the silver, as their regenerative powers seem to be hindered by it. In fact the silver in some ways hurt his innocence, as when the Knights came to arrest Gallahad Hastings was still injured.

I was pissed about his teammates not being in his "circle" I mean who else would he trust the most. him trusting the Lucian or whatever was actually a surprise to me he always seemed like a dick.
Lucian has been with the Order for a very long time (possibly multiple centuries) and had never given anyone any reason to doubt his loyalty. Lucian was also the Knight commander, so it's only stands to reason Gallahad went to his superior, just as his mentor Perceval had confided in Lucian. Lucian it seems had always been the one to be more accepting of out of the box ideas. Even though I suspected Lucian of wrongdoing, I never saw any reason why Perceval or Gallahad or anyone else would mistrust him.

So why didn't they just
kill Galahad? Why keep him locked up for a month when they have concluded that he was guilty

He was seen to be conspiring with the rebels, they were likely trying to find out more information about them. It's probably the only thing that kept him alive that long.

Exactly. It was so stupid. He could've told Igraine the truth immediately. She trusts him with her life, she would have believed him or at least looked into it. And at the trial, all he had to do was speak out a few words. Galahad was one of the most respected Knights, they would have listened. Lafayette certainly would have. And don't get me started on the stupid Lucan "twist"

The story in this game is stupid. It really is.

Imagine fighting alongside someone ratonal for centuries, this man also protects the live of Lord Hastings from multiple attempts On his life. After Perceval dies however he completely seperate himself from you and your team. Starts going out killing guards and working with Rebels who have caused tremendous amounts of damage to both the order and London. This man then tries to kill Hastings in his own home, after having protected him for no apparent reason. Could this have been sorted by telling Igraine and Lafayette... maybe? The problem was, if he was wrong about something, or failed in his mission he risked both of their lives in addition to his own. If you can't understand why someone would shelter someone they cared for from the truth to protect them, then that's on you. I'm not saying it's the smartest choice, but it does make sense based on who his mentor was and his personality.

M

I don't buy that because

But what was Lucan getting out of that for his "kind"? Why was he in league with Hastings?

To bring halfbreeds to the Americas. Where they would be largely free to live unhindered by incessant hunt of the order. There were much more undeveloped lands etc where the Half breeds could start anew, potentially seperated from civilization from the most part.

I'm assuming Lucian had spent time around other half breeds. He probably found them to be no were near as evil as the order made them out to be. Probably quite a few just scared people who when being backed into a corner would react accordingly. (I'm sure there were many evil ones as well, but the order for the most part had basically made the blanket statement that anything non human was evil.) If we get another game we may see some depth in this area.

Although I will admit I did have a problem with Lucians essential willingness to bring Vampires to the west. I do understand Lycans, but vampires are an entirely different sort. Maybe Hastings had promised America for the taking of Vampires and Lycans. But to think Lucian would be willing to kill off an entire nations populace or something for his kind doesn't strike me as something he would do under the guise of saving his kind. I'd like a little more clarification to that end.

ryuken-d

I was kind of unclear as to how much the chancellor actually knew of what was going on. Did he know about Hastings? Or was he just freaking out about the chance of them finding out about Lucan?

at first glance
that's all he seems to be worried about but why then didn't Galahad say anything about Hastings being a vampire and about Lucan and Hastings collusion? unless Galahad figured he was in on the whole thing ....then in that case he should of shot him! I don't know, maybe someone does.

Can someone help me:

In chapter 4 fighting the half breed, the tutorial said i can pull several knive attacks if i fill the bar, but after trying several times i can never fill to use that option, i know you can pass this scene without that trick, but i tought it would be cool to use it, can someone help?
I never figured it out either... or what the "bar" was that I was suppose to be trying to fill. I just did the standard, slash - dodge/slash - slash - dodge/slash - slash... until they were dead.

Can someone help me:

its just like the Black Sight mechanic, you use L1 when the info pops up or the bar is filled.

hohoXD123

Ok I think the problem many people, including you guys have, is not looking at this from a cultural prospective. This is Victorian London, they are still very orthodox in terms of position etc. In addition Vampires haven't been seen in a very long time, accusing someone like hastings with an inordinate amount of clout out of the blue, with no proof of his actions was insane. Gallahad knew this. Even if someone spoke up in his defense, they could have been treated as a colluder, and risk their names being tarnished, and potentially their lives

Galahad spoke out against his superior numerous times, doubt that was the reason. But yeah, it was probably to protect Isi and Lafayette. He could have told them, and they could have believed him, but then they would have been dragged into his mess. Only choice was to find proof for his claims without involving them, at least Lucian wouldn't have been in much trouble should he have failed to find proof. His motivations make sense at least.

Jito

Banned
Ok I think the problem many people, including you guys have, is not looking at this from a cultural prospective. This is Victorian London, they are still very orthodox in terms of position etc. In addition Vampires haven't been seen in a very long time, accusing someone like hastings with an inordinate amount of clout out of the blue, with no proof of his actions was insane. Gallahad knew this. Even if someone spoke up in his defense, they could have been treated as a colluder, and risk their names being tarnished, and potentially their lives.

But there had already been occasions throughout the game were Galahad had spoked against superiors? Why would he be so quite now all of a sudden.
There was also no need to protect Lef and Izy as they had no involvement in the attack on Hastings.

I think this is my new go-to triple A disappointment after AC3. Story, pacing, and design-wise, the game is an absolute mess. Sucks because there are glimmers of magic and great production values present throughout the game.

Ledhead

Were there even Arc Gunners? I remember the guys with Thermite Rifles, but they were underutilized, they actually made you stay active and move from cover to cover

I think there was one. Maybe. But yeah, I liked how they forced you out of cover. Made those combat sections interesting

DavidDesu

Looking at those art shots of various locations around the world... I really hope Sony can support RAD and get an Order sequel on the go. It could be such a fantastic franchise with a few tweaks to the formula and some improvements in gameplay. (Still haven't played it yet, buying in 2 days!). I love the world they've built and there's a ton of scope for this franchise. I hope they continue, now the groundwork's been done on the engine (where there's really not much left to do it appears), they can focus far more on creating more locations etc.

AHHH! Don't care what people say I love their vision from what I've seen and we need more of this!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
That would have been really awesome. I hope we see more action similar to what you described in a sequel.

This is just some of the stuff that people wanted to see outside of just standard TPS mechanics. People always go "well what'd you expect!?"- more impressive setpieces, more control or affect on the situations playing out, multiple ways to approach the gameplay and finding out why some are better in certain places than others, etc.

Instead the game is very much on rails. It throws in empty side rooms you can walk in and look at, but there's nothing really in there worth going for. It also makes it very clear exactly where and when to go, in that you're basically in a tunnel or pipe, or hall the majority of the time. On rails sections can work, but there should've been more to it than just point and shoot, for instance the truck scene in UC2 (or horseback one in UC3). A lot of the transitions between moments in the game are cutscenes of you walking and talking... you could've done without that. Allow the characters to walk and talk, but you're in control, do some searching/exploring while the plot is laid out. TLOU had a slow burn opening starting with the tense moments as his daughter, or the parts with Joel walking around with Tess. It effectively gives you an idea of what has gone on, where they are, how to play the game, the different ways to play, etc. without having you sit there and pretending your playing (like the prologue where you very rarely play, and when you do it's some random button prompt, or walking awkwardly for 5-10 seconds).

Ledhead

Looking at those art shots of various locations around the world... I really hope Sony can support RAD and get an Order sequel on the go. It could be such a fantastic franchise with a few tweaks to the formula and some improvements in gameplay. (Still haven't played it yet, buying in 2 days!). I love the world they've built and there's a ton of scope for this franchise. I hope they continue, now the groundwork's been done on the engine (where there's really not much left to do it appears), they can focus far more on creating more locations etc.

AHHH! Don't care what people say I love their vision from what I've seen and we need more of this!

I'm with you on wanting a sequel badly. As many have stated around here, it would probably a lot cheaper for a sequel, as I think the a decent amount of resources went into building the engine. Now that the engine is complete, they can re-use assets and focus more on other aspects of the game for the next entry.

Mifune

Mehmber
Only up to Chapter 8 or so, but so far, this is a pretty special game. Easily the best thing I've played on the PS4 (not counting The Last of Us). Surprised how hefty it feels, given all the complaints of length.

EL CUCO

Reading all the story speculation posts has motivated me to start my 3rd playthrough.

I can count the narrative focused games that I've played more than twice on one hand.

The visuals, audio, shooting, and story are definitely putting this game up there with some of the best single player experiences I've ever had.

It's quite sad that the game didn't meet the expectations I had in my head, instead of a more horror orientated Gears of War we got a period drama Heavy Rain with shoot outs thrown in. Am I the only one who pictured werewolf fights on foggy London streets, carriage chases with werewolfs leaping from the rooftops and hunting werewolves across the British countryside with a siege at a barn by moonlight?

Holy fuck what a waste of source material.

I agree. It has flash moments of horror(going into the hospital) that it just flounders.

I think you(and I) were your own worst hype machines.

EL CUCO

I feel like the used market is going to murder this game's long term sales more than most.
Big time. I was expecting Infamous SS like sales but I'm thinking it might pull in slightly less. Lack of end game content, and bad press really is a thorn in The Order's side

Bishop89

Shiiiiett
vampires? Freaken awesome. Did not expect this at all as everything from the media was lycans. And love how they are incorporated into 'jack the ripper' murders

Top Bottom