• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Heavy rain is an awful example. Tons of replayability in terms of the choices you make and what happens based on those choices, also something like 9 different endings.

28 endings, actually.

And I think he was referencing Heavy Rain in regards to the linearity in level design and gameplay, not narrative choices.

Just beat it.

Loved the ending. I thought it wasn't as lacking as some would believe and I think it closes off a major point while setting up the world for a lot more.

Gimme more RAD!

I still love that final battle and last button press before the credits. I replay my games for their settings, story, and to re experience it all again. This one joins the ranks. :) So good.

RexNovis

Banned
Does anyone else kind of find it hilarious that everyone in steampunk Victorian England apparently owns the exact same couch?

GroundedPerkyAffenpinscher.gif

B-WOMjrCAAAogHP.jpg:large

B-WM3gkCMAAhpf4.jpg:large

in3W3ONkq4fHH.jpg
I noticed it about half way through my first playthrough and now I can't help but chuckle to myself every time I see that couch. It's the solitary flaw of reused assets in an otherwise impeccably rendered game.

P.S. Yes I'm aware these shot are compressed to hell and back but they are clear enough to show its the same damn couch. Fuck yo Couch ready at dawn. FUCK YO COUCH!

Does anyone else kind of find it hilarious that everyone in steampunk Victorian England apparently owns the exact same couch?

GroundedPerkyAffenpinscher.gif

B-WOMjrCAAAogHP.jpg:large

B-WM3gkCMAAhpf4.jpg:large

I noticed it about half way through my first playthrough and now I can't help but chuckle to myself every time I see that couch. It's the solitary flaw of reused assets in an otherwise impeccably rendered game.

P.S. Yes I'm aware these shot are compressed to hell and back but they are clear enough to show its the same damn couch. Fuck yo Couch ready at dawn. FUCK YO COUCH!

Maybe there was a really big couch-maker that had a monopoly over the city.

hydruxo

lBxzfFK.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm enjoying it for what it is so far, but it does in many ways feel like going back to the original Uncharted all over again, with more issues on top. In that there's a fun, simple idea there that isn't as well rounded or paced as it could be, but the presentation is top shit. I like the moustaches.

Planning on getting this after my semester, looks like you guys like it?

Some more than others. Everyone seems to have similar complaints, it just diminishes the experience a lot for some, but people like myself didn't really find it lessened the enjoyment of the game.

I think, if the story and characters don't capture you, you aren't going to have a great time. But I don't know how you could really gauge that until you play the game.

RexNovis

Banned
The only place that didnt use the exact same couch was the brothel

NSFW: Thar be breasts

In my head I'd like the believe its just the same couch covered in god knows what from its frequent .... use.

I hereby dub this #yeoldecouchgate
/s

I'm enjoying it for what it is so far, but it does in many ways feel like going back to the original Uncharted all over again, with more issues on top. In that there's a fun, simple idea there that isn't as well rounded or paced as it could be, but the presentation is top shit. I like the moustaches.

Interesting, that's how I felt about Uncharted myself. Good game, very nice tech under the hood but missing "it".

Some more than others. Everyone seems to have similar complaints, it just diminishes the experience a lot for some, but people like myself didn't really find it lessened the enjoyment of the game.

I think, if the story and characters don't capture you, you aren't going to have a great time. But I don't know how you could really gauge that until you play the game.

I was attracted from the get go as I love Victorian era-period pieces, the alternate timeline weapons, the clothes, etc. Liked what I read on the characters before release too so I think I will indeed grab it along with Bloodborne in May.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

RexNovis

Banned

FUCK YES! BRING IT! Man that was such a good show.

Anyway ... OT: if anyone is interested Gabe of Penny Arcade fame posted his thoughts on The Order

Gabe said:
I have to say I don’t understand all the hate it’s getting. At the very least I’d say you should rent it and play it for yourself. Borrow it from a friend or wait for the price to come down maybe but don’t skip it because you’re scared of the scores.
Source

They also have a comic up on the topic of the game

cmon Galahad, Lafayette, Lakshmi, and her daughter, 1887, lets do this. And who was the hooded guy helping Nikolai!? Argh this game needs a sequel really bad!!!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Interesting, that's how I felt about Uncharted myself. Good game, very nice tech under the hood but missing "it".

I'm not the biggest Uncharted fan, again a "enjoy it for what it is" kinda guy. But I mean the similarities with the first game, which I find has some shockingly amateurish encounters and pacing issues. Whereas a lot of what I really like about Uncharted 2 is how it improves over specific issues with its predecessor. The Order feels like a bit like the first Uncharted, wherein you have those moments of "okay you're locking me in this area and making me fight waves of dudes, great" and other pacing oddities. But there's fun beating under the very impressive hood.

So at this stage I'm hoping it gets a shot at a sequel.

breakfuss

cmon Galahad, Lafayette, Lakshmi, and her daughter, 1887, lets do this. And who was the hooded guy helping Nikolai!? Argh this game needs a sequel really bad!!!

Was that her daughter?! I know Lakshmi calls her that at one point but I still didn't get the impression she was.

GKFinns

I really found myself enjoying this game a lot. I beat it and just finished knocking out the trophies for my platinum. It combines my love of Heavy Rain/Telltale Game style QTE segments with a really solid Gears of War-esque cover based shooter. Seriously, the guns and gunplay just felt "right" to me.

I tell my friends this game is a lot like the first Uncharted. A huge technological showcase and exclusive early on in the console's life cycle, with a solid story and characters and immersion, but the gameplay holds it back from being stellar.

I have a strong suspicion that The Order 2: The Order-ing will be leagues better. Will the leap be on par with the Uncharted > Uncharted 2 jump? Who knows. But I am an optimist, and I really liked this one so I am on board regardless.

Speaking of which, I really hate how Lakshmi calls Galahad as "Knight" throughout the whole game. Oh come on! He has a freaking name and why on earth does she not use "Gray" or "Galahad" to call him? I'm not trying to be nitpicking but that sounds really awkward and unpleasant especially when they've become allies. That is not how she should call a comrade! Use his name, goddamn it!

Raonak

Banned
Just finished it, I quite enjoyed it.

The pacing sucks, too slow the first half in comparison to the too fast paced second half.
And it does end at a very strange spot.
Werewolf combat was abysmal.
lots of unanswered questions

Gunplay felt very solid, but not enough variety.

The resistance/R&C like weapons were fantastic, but there were far too few of them. I think a sequel should focus on these crazy weapons with secondary fires rather than the standard weapons. Even the order assault rifle was awesome with it's air stun, especially considering how fast the air stun recharges. The gunplay has a very impactful feeling which felt insanely satisfying.

I think there's a very solid foundation here, the universe is really good, and the gameplay, if heavily tweaked (open arenas, more unique weapons and enemies) would make it a very good game.

I really hope it gets a sequel!

I just finished playing Driveclub and seeing those GIFS reminds me how much Sonys first party not only punches you in the face with amazing visuals but they all contain that eluded "SUBTLE BEAUTY". Seriously its damn impressive what their first party studios (I guess this is 2nd party) constantly pump out.

Other games with subtle beauty: Killzone 2, some of KZ3, GT, the new Infamous, GoW3 (stuff like the motion blur for example).

I'm not the biggest Uncharted fan, again a "enjoy it for what it is" kinda guy. But I mean the similarities with the first game, which I find has some shockingly amateurish encounters and pacing issues. Whereas a lot of what I really like about Uncharted 2 is how it improves over specific issues with its predecessor. The Order feels like a bit like the first Uncharted, wherein you have those moments of "okay you're locking me in this area and making me fight waves of dudes, great" and other pacing oddities. But there's fun beating under the very impressive hood.

Ok great, thanks for the clarification :)

doomquake

I just finished playing Driveclub and seeing those GIFS reminds me how much Sonys first party not only punches you in the face with amazing visuals but they all contain that eluded "SUBTLE BEAUTY". Seriously its damn impressive what their first party studios (I guess this is 2nd party) constantly pump out.

Other games with subtle beauty: Killzone 2, some of KZ3, GT, the new Infamous, GoW3 (stuff like the motion blur for example).

new infamous and PT were heavy hitters for me.. gta v is coming strong though.

Daffy Duck

Completed it last night, really enjoyed the game even though it sort of fell of a cliff at act 10. It just abruptly ends like a film setting up a sequel.

So many unanswered questions, and I felt the Lycans and vampires were criminally underused.

I'll gladly play a sequel.

Nuke Soda

Sure does suck that they don't tell you how many newspapers, regular papers, audio clips and photos you need. Those are the last trophies I need to platinum.

Marvel

could never
Those scratch marks on Isabeau's neck, they never explained how she got them did they?

No they didn't, but I'm confident they will in time.

Play as Izzy DLC and fight the creature who did that to her? would buy. Or maybe in the sequel we'll get a flashback.

Sure does suck that they don't tell you how many newspapers, regular papers, audio clips and photos you need. Those are the last trophies I need to platinum.

Yeah that kinda sucked for me, it was a third playthrough I got em all. Would have been nice to have a tracker for them.

Rymuth

Was that her daughter?! I know Lakshmi calls her that at one point but I still didn't get the impression she was.
My impression was that Lakshimi is really old (she has the black water) hence why she calls Devi that. Like Prophet and his disciples sort of relationship

tbh, I feel like they should collab with ND on a sequel

glaurung

I ran my trophy cleanup yesterday and got that easy platinum trophy.

Though I did cuss a whole lot at the notion that the game does not provide any means of seeking out missed collectibles. Was it that hard to include a collectible counter to the chapter select menu, Uncharted style?

Plus those aggravating sequences where Galahad walks at a snail's pace. And the unskippable cut scenes.

In the end, The Order 1886 provided me with 1.5 evenings of entertainment. And then I shoved the Underworld blu-ray into my PS4, just to confirm that the transformation sequences were copied from there, one to one.

The game is a tech demo. And it is a great glimpse of a new IP that has a great chance to expand into a full-fledged franchise. Whether this happens and whether the next installments are going to be more substantial - who knows.

leng jai

I'm really hoping the sequel is a rehash of what happened with Uncharted 2. The base they have created here is absolutely fantastic:

Art direction: 10/10
Sound design: 10/10
Graphics: 10/10
Voice acting: 10/10

All they need to do produce a proper game out of it all and flesh out the set pieces and The Order 2 could be a real knockout.

Robot Pants

In the end, The Order 1886 provided me with 1.5 evenings of entertainment. And then I shoved the Underworld blu-ray into my PS4, just to confirm that the transformation sequences were copied from there, one to one.

I dont understand how they could transform any different.
Like, a puff of smoke then voila, a lycan?

glaurung

I dont understand how they could transform any different.
Like, a puff of smoke then voila, a lycan?
Well, with werewolves you could have some creepier animations. Not just a straightforward, yawn-inducing carbon copy.

The Wolfman remake with Benicio Del Toro and Anthony Hopkins had some fancier animations. Other older movies have had way freakier transformations (Company of the Wolves, The Howling). All I'm saying is that the transformations in The Order 1886 were tame and predictable - in other words, boring.

Plus the skin discoloration effect felt out of place. If you got the PEGI 18 rating anyway (and the equal ones in other regions), why not throw in some more blood and foam at least.

And then I shoved the Underworld blu-ray into my PS4, just to confirm that the transformation sequences were copied from there, one to one.

Should have said An American Werewolf in London. Bloody Underworld. That's a werewolf transformation in any werewolf movie, by the way, no matter how good the quality of the effects.

I don't know why, but I have a feeling that
Isabeau knows about her brother and the scratch marks are from him when they were younger.
I don't know why, but it hit me that it might be a possibility during my second playthrough.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I think it's crazy to read the impressions in here then listen to something like the giantbombcast and hear Jeff and Dans feelings towards it. Totally opposite. I trust Dan a lot. Has similar taste to me. He has put me off it a lot. Still want to walk around like one act just to see the graphics. The rest sounds awful to me. Rehashed mechanics etc. Such a shame of what games we have had in this 3rd person action genre and to get this. By the sounds of it. Beautiful looker tho

I think it's crazy to read the impressions in here then listen to something like the giantbombcast and hear Jeff and Dans feelings towards it. Totally opposite. I trust Dan a lot. Has similar taste to me. He has put me off it a lot. Still want to walk around like one act just to see the graphics. The rest sounds awful to me. Rehashed mechanics etc. Such a shame of what games we have had in this 3rd person action genre and to get this. By the sounds of it. Beautiful looker tho

Some people like it, some people don't. If you're interested at all then maybe try renting it to see if it floats your boat.

Mista

Banned
Finished the game. I want a sequel visually & technically exactly the same
BUT, more gameplay and less cinematics & QTE's please

HORRORSHØW

finally got around to playing it, and i thought it was a good experience. though not without faults, and some of the criticisms levied against it are justified, the game is certainly more than its constituent parts. RAD should be proud and commended for their artistry and technical mastery at the very least.

KORNdoggy

Those scratch marks on Isabeau's neck, they never explained how she got them did they?

theres a lot of things left unanswered. and in most cases frustratingly so. but overall i absolutely loved the game for what it was. sure it doesnt have a ton of traditional "gameplay", but i think there is room for incredibly well made, BEAUTIFUL linear affairs such as this and more open sandbox experiences. and i'm glad sony continue to support these sort of games.

WITHE1982

No they didn't, but I'm confident they will in time.

Play as Izzy DLC and fight the creature who did that to her? would buy. Or maybe in the sequel we'll get a flashback.

My theory is that it was
Lucan who attacked her when they were children. Hence why there was no black water to heal the wound. That would mean that a) Izi knows Lucan is a Lycan and b) Izi could actually be one herself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW7Op86ox9g

I don't know why, but I have a feeling that
Isabeau knows about her brother and the scratch marks are from him when they were younger.
I don't know why, but it hit me that it might be a possibility during my second playthrough.

Aha. Great minds and all that.

My theory is that it was
Lucan who attacked her when they were children. Hence why there was no black water to heal the wound. That would mean that a) Izi knows Lucan is a Lycan and b) Izi could actually be one herself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW7Op86ox9g

Aha. Great minds and all that.

haha yes they do and your point
that the marks are still on her face lends a bit more evidence to the theory, although that could have just been done before the Lord Chancellor adopted her or whatever.
It's so hard to actually know what happened, I hope we get an answer in the sequel at least.

Top Bottom