• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Loomba

So why didn't they just
kill Galahad? Why keep him locked up for a month when they have concluded that he was guilty

There was no point of speaking up at his last opportunity to speak up? A trial is where both parties give there argument, not just sit there like a sour puss. He could have just appealed to his teammates and been like
"Guys vampires?!"
I don't think the round table works like a typical democratic trial. He was caught red handed destroying India Company property and convincingly framed trying to murder Lord Hastings with the rebel leader. The roundtable looks like the "evidence" and charges are read against the perpetrator and the council decides the individual's fate rather than any defense given. Igraine had already made up her mind anyway.

So why didn't they just
kill Galahad? Why keep him locked up for a month when they have concluded that he was guilty
Likely trying to get info out of him on the rebels, plans, etc.

So why did Galahad
not bother to speak up at any point during his trial? Could have quite easily been like "well Lucan is a werewolf and so is Lord Hastings". You'd think they could get some silver out and put it on there skin to test if he was telling the truth maybe?

Exactly. It was so stupid. He could've told Igraine the truth immediately. She trusts him with her life, she would have believed him or at least looked into it. And at the trial, all he had to do was speak out a few words. Galahad was one of the most respected Knights, they would have listened. Lafayette certainly would have. And don't get me started on the stupid Lucan "twist"

The story in this game is stupid. It really is.

viveks86

So why didn't they just

He was colluding with the rebel leader, who was still at large. So obviously they are going to try and beat the info out of him

watchdog

I enjoyed the game thoroughly. The setting, story, and art really made this game an enjoyable experience for me. While every piece of gameplay wasn't completely mind blowing I still enjoyed just exploring the environments and being immersed in that world. In my opinion, RAD has the basics in place that they can expand on should they make a sequel.

I do have some questions about the storyline that I hope someone can answer for me. I'm not sure if I missed something but some clarification would be appreciated, if possible. This concerns some developments later on in the game.

So after Galahad was brought to the council after going to the docks, finding vampires, and also witnessing council member, Lord Hastings, change into a vampire why didn't he mention any of this at his sentencing? He just witnessed two huge developments and didn't even try to defend himself with these revelations! I suspect that it might of been because he was feeling defeated and beat down. What's everyone else's take on this?

Also, I thought it was kinda intriguing how vampires were introduced to the player. It was just kinda like, "Oh, vampires. That's curious." I wish there would have been more said about them. I suppose this was intentional as they want to keep the mystery of their involvement.

Exactly. It was so stupid. He could've told Igraine the truth immediately. She trusts him with her life, she would have believed him or at least looked into it. And at the trial, all he had to do was speak out a few words. Galahad was one of the most respected Knights, they would have listened. Lafayette certainly would have. And don't get me started on the stupid Lucan "twist"

The story in this game is stupid. It really is.

He didn't want to drag them into it, he says that multiple times. It's the reason he goes on that stealth mission with Lucan without telling anyone else. He didn't want to drag Isi and Percival into it until he had proof otherwise their potential support of him could get them killed too.

wait I thought
Hastings was a vampire? I'm still a little sketchy on the relationship with the Lycans and vampires and what they were trying to accomplish. DUring the early parts of the game I was under the impression that the rebels were in allegiance with the Lycans, especially in the hospital when it looked like the rebels were doing some type of experiment with a lycan. Was that all misdirection?

Its initial story misdirection until story events unfold.
The vampires are considered long dead / extremely rare (see the section when Lakshmi asks Galahad "what do you know of purebloods?"). What they seem to be doing is going undercover to spread themselves around the expanses of the empire and gaining a foothold burgeoning territories while making use of the Lycans as unknowning "decoys" of sorts to conceal themselves from the Order / escape their grasp.

The Ripper killings are possible for Hastings because he can roam free while the Lycans are basically taking the heat/suspicion for the violent deaths in Whitechapel. Up until he reveals himself, the mutilation you see is pretty much all committed by lycans and would never occur to the order that tat it was the work of a vampire (as they are long considered extinct).

There was no point of speaking up at his last opportunity to speak up? A trial is where both parties give there argument, not just sit there like a sour puss. He could have just appealed to his teammates and been like
"Guys vampires?!"
Still, Galahad's words would be useless no matter how much he tried to speak for himself. He was completely fucked as he had none of evidence to support his claim. On the other hand, the Order had everything they need to accuse Galahad: Lord Hasting's injury caused by Galahad's machete, mass murduring in United India House, sabotage crimes in the Blackwall Yard and Isi witnessed Galahad fucking with Lakshmi... Saying more such things will only get Galahad more suspicious.

Future

Still, Galahad's words would be useless no matter how much he tried to speak for himself. He was completely fucked as he had none of evidence to support his claim. On the other hand, the Order had everything they had to accuse Galahad: Lord Hasting's injury caused by Galahad's machete, mass murduring in United India House, sabotage crimes in the Blackwall Yard and Isi witnessed Galahad fucking with Lakshmi... Saying more such things will only get Galahad more suspicious.
M

I don't buy that because

Lucan is a werewolf and right there in the room. You would think there would at least be one person to take that claim seriously and do some investigation, considering Lucan is right there. Plus, Hastings just turned into a vampire and fed on some dude when the chick stormed in to arrest Galahad.

Mentioning that right then and there might have prompted action to find that body rather than the generic "it's not what it seems!" Rhetoric with no details that would convince anyone. I would have rather had a scene that showed Hastings dispose of the body and have the girl check out the claim, just to showcase that the girl had enough trust to try to give Galahad the benefit of the doubt

Just finished the game and I'm surprised that I kind of enjoyed it. I would give it a solid 7. My wife on the other hand was a bit harsher, lol.

They will have to work on that cutscene to gameplay ratio. The chapters with more gameplay towards the end were the better ones. Better level design and more creative enemy encounters is a must as well. I liked Galahad well enough and they have set up the world to the point where in a sequel they can focus on what was lacking in this installment.

Jito

Banned
I don't see how anything Galahad would say would be pointless, the guy has been a knight for centuries, I imagine that has secured him with some credibility with The Order.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
M

I don't buy that because

Lucan is a werewolf and right there in the room. You would think there would at least be one person to take that claim seriously and do some investigation, considering Lucan is right there. Plus, Hastings just turned into a vampire and fed on some dude when the chick stormed in to arrest Galahad. Mentioning that right then and there might have prompted action to seek out the claim rather than the generic "it's not what it seems!" Rhetoric with no details that would convince anyone
Lucan being in the room is exactly why there was no point in speaking up. No one would believe that the Knight Commander of The Order was a Lycan and it would completely shame The Order and put all of their actions into doubt, something he wanted to avoid. No one would think he was sane when he alleges that The Order has been manipulated to protect half breeds, especially since they have lots of evidence indicating he had become completely unhinged after Mallory's death.

ryuken-d

wait I thought
Hastings was a vampire? I'm still a little sketchy on the relationship with the Lycans and vampires and what they were trying to accomplish. DUring the early parts of the game I was under the impression that the rebels were in allegiance with the Lycans, especially in the hospital when it looked like the rebels were doing some type of experiment with a lycan. Was that all misdirection?

Hastings is a vampire for sure maybe the rebel experiment was just that like an autopsy. I'm kind of confused as well but what I get so far is that Hastings was using the India trading company to export vampires to the new world to spread and maybe using the lycans as a diversion and blaming the rebels to confuse the Order and that old bastard was so afraid of anybody finding out about Lucian that he kept Hastings secret?! damn if that's true he is a asshole. what I don't get is that the Order has been around for so many kings and governments they shouldn't get too attached they will outlast everybody. also the old man knew Lucian was a fucking Lycan why the fuck did he make him a knight and give him holy grail juice in the first place.

I don't see how anything Galahad would say would be pointless, the guy has been a knight for centuries, I imagine that has secured him with some credibility with The Order.

Just to put this into perspective. I work in a govement building and we have to watch security briefs all the time about generals, leaders, and employees, some of which have been around for years and have family, etc and they got caught selling information to foreign countrys. People no one would ever suspect. Stuff like this can and does happen in real life.
So just because Galahad has been there forever doesn't mean they can just take word, when what they saw says otherwise at face value.

It does, but at the same time all that "evidence" probably far outweighs that in people's eyes. I mean he had practically everything going against him and not one shred of evidence.

Its initial story misdirection until story events unfold.
The vampires are considered long dead / extremely rare (see the section when Lakshmi asks Galahad "what do you know of purebloods?"). What they seem to be doing is going undercover to spread themselves around the expanses of the empire and gaining a foothold burgeoning territories while making use of the Lycans as unknowning "decoys" of sorts to conceal themselves from the Order / escape their grasp.

The Ripper killings are possible for Hastings because he can roam free while the Lycans are basically taking the heat/suspicion for the violent deaths in Whitechapel. Up until he reveals himself, the mutilation you see is pretty much all committed by lycans and would never occur to the order that tat it was the work of a vampire (as they are long considered extinct).

But what was Lucan getting out of that for his "kind"? Why was he in league with Hastings?

i have the same problem :( ... only stereo and headset in menu.

My PS4 is plugged in Yamaha receiver via HDMI using Linear PCM for sound.

While the options only list Stereo and headset, it's a typo, it DOES support multi-channel audio, I played it in my 5.1 receiver that supports LPCM via HDMI, and it sounded awesome!
I could listen to bullets going behind me, and voices came out from the center channel when needed, so positional audio does work.

Double check your setup, and do another playthrough from the start. This game with a decent audio setup is a great experience!

-------------------------

I liked the story, but it had too many loose ends. I wish it were at least an hour longer. However,
I was really sad when Mallory died, even thought the interactions with him were few, he was a likeable character... and my mentor ;)
Also, the R2 shooting Lucan was absolute top notch. Great way to finish the game.

Ledhead

But what was Lucan getting out of that for his "kind"? Why was he in league with Hastings?

The way I understand it, and bare in mind this is me just deducing stuff...The half-breeds, or at least the lycans are losing the 'war' badly. Early in the game two NPCs comment on how Lycans haven't been seen in London in a while.

From what I gather, Lucan, who was obviously conflicted about his true nature, sought to protect his own kind. As an elder Lycan, I would assume he would have some sway over the other lycans, and seems to have went ahead and made an alliance with Hastings and the vampires, who needed his help to spread half-breed-ism across the globe. Hastings could use the Company to do it, but needed the lycans to protect his operations from the rebels, while also requiring Lucan to keep the Order blind to all this happening. Anyway, let me know if that makes sense.

The Lycans also get spread to territories the Order aren't as active in. They aren't necessarily up to a grand conspiracy - I remember somewhere RAD talking about them fighting to exist and the games's morality not being a simple black and white etc (i'd have to dig around to find it though)

The way I understand it, and bare in mind this is me just deducing stuff...The half-breeds, or at least the lycans are losing the 'war' badly. Early in the game two NPCs comment on how Lycans haven't been seen in London in a while.

From what I gather, Lucan, who was obviously conflicted about his true nature, sought to protect his own kind. As an elder Lycan, I would assume he would have some sway over the other lycans, and seems to have went ahead and made an alliance with Hastings and the vampires, who needed his help to spread half-breed-ism across the globe. Hastings could use the Company to do it, but needed the lycans to protect his operations from the rebels, while also requiring Lucan to keep the Order blind to all this happening. Anyway, let me know if that makes sense.

Yeah, I saw it like this as well. RAD have said that this time period is chosen because the Victorian technological improvements and weapons etc in game have allowed the Order to turn the tides on the war they've been fighting against the half breeds for centuries, (in medieval times it was the other way around and the atrocities so bad that its what led to the order being founded in the first place).

ryuken-d

yup that's pretty much what I'm thinking. makes sense! except that old man the head of the order his motivations suck unless he's evil. Lucan isn't even his blood he's just an orphan and he's already got a real daughter wft is all I can say about that.

Ledhead

yup that's pretty much what I'm thinking. makes sense! except that old man the head of the order his motivations suck unless he's evil. Lucan isn't even his blood he's just an orphan and he's already got a real daughter wft is all I can say about that.

I was kind of unclear as to how much the chancellor actually knew of what was going on. Did he know about Hastings? Or was he just freaking out about the chance of them finding out about Lucan?

Jito

Banned
Holy shit that was the ending? Am I supposed to care?
Lucan was a a werewolf and had been a dick for the whole game, yet he's my "brother" so I'm meant to care?
Bah what an anti climax. RAD banked way too much on the characters being gripping and not enough on an actual story.

hohoXD123

He also said he was defending "his kind". Not very clear to me.

Think by "his kind" he meant half-breeds in general, which would include vampires and werewolves.

Holy shit that was the ending? Am I supposed to care?
Lucan was a a werewolf and had been a dick for the whole game, yet he's my "brother" so I'm meant to care?
Bah what an anti climax. RAD banked way too much on the characters being gripping and not enough on an actual story.

I'd say up to that point he had been one of the more reasonable members of the council. But yeah, they didn't do his character very well, killing a character off isn't very significant unless if you're made to care about them. Lafayette/Isi/Perceval would have at least had some impact.

In my assumption
the Lycans are being friendly with the Vampires out of necessity with the Vampires using the Lycans to further their goals. I gather that they have some sort of agreement where the Lycans help the Vampires spread the disease around to other areas and the Vampires in turn help the Lycans because they are losing the war.

I'd give it an 8 personally but it's just a number lol, in any case I full agree with you on the bolded. The world/story has me hooked more than any other game so far this gen.

I'd agree.

This game is special. I didn't expect The Order to really immerse me the way it did, when all was said and done, I was left feeling contemplative; with great admiration for what RAD created.

I think the game is successful in so many levels - the common complaint/detriment people seem to level at the game is 'linear'; where I see it as a boon and call it 'focused' - no tedious exposition and extraneous bullshit.

The game is pretty cut and dry and I appreciate that.

KC Denton

The fact that there is no explanation for the Half Breed conflict is starting to bug me more and more. How the hell did things get so bad that both sides are waging genocide campaigns against each other? All the Half Breeds we fight in this game are being led by a murderous asshole, but the way the race is discussed by everyone else in the game it’s like every last one is inherently unnatural and evil from birth and they all deserve to die. I find this difficult to buy given the detail given to the setting as a whole. The Half Breeds are basically indistinguishable from humans when not transformed, and when transformed they can still think and talk. They're not simply animals or mindless zombies. There’s no reasonable explanation given by the game as to why they’re eating human bodies or hate humans so much beyond "they look really ugly when transformed so clearly they all love eating babies and hate our freedoms."

Also fuck the Lord Chancellor. He kills someone's parents and then is surprised that later on the orphaned child has issues with the people who deprived him of a family? I mean, there’s no information given on the circumstances by which his parents were killed, but you’d think the point where the Lord Chancellor was hesitating on killing a child would be the moment where he’d realize “Maybe going around and killing all these people is not the best solution, it’s creating an endless cycle of hatred that causes only needless death.” But instead, he takes Lucan in while not doing anything else, missing a huge opportunity to try to find a more peaceful solution regarding the Half Breeds through Lucan.

With the cognitive dissonance and resentment Lucan must have experienced working for the man who took his parents from him and participating in the systematic slaughter of his own kind, it’s no wonder he would think joining up with a psychopath like Lord Hastings would be a good idea instead of the horrible idiotic idea it actually was.

This is not to say that I did not enjoy the game, I did like it enough to go ahead and get the Platinum trophy. It’s just that with all the attention given to the setting, never going into detail on the catalyst that changed the world and is the main motivation as to why Galahad is fighting in the first place really bothers me when I think back on it.

...Maybe playing Nier and Spec Ops: The Line back to back wasn't such a good idea going into this game, those games probably made me put more thought into this than was probably intended by the developers.

Warsaw

10930173_942092399136437_7145753556070675720_n.jpg

Lisbon

1613908_942092402469770_1014781871977569159_n.jpg

Jito

Banned
It's quite sad that the game didn't meet the expectations I had in my head, instead of a more horror orientated Gears of War we got a period drama Heavy Rain with shoot outs thrown in. Am I the only one who pictured werewolf fights on foggy London streets, carriage chases with werewolfs leaping from the rooftops and hunting werewolves across the British countryside with a siege at a barn by moonlight?

Holy fuck what a waste of source material.

It's quite sad that the game didn't meet the expectations I had in my head, instead of a more horror orientated Gears of War we got a period drama Heavy Rain with shoot outs thrown in. Am I the only one who pictured werewolf fights on foggy London streets, carriage chases with werewolfs leaping from the rooftops and hunting werewolves across the British countryside with a siege at a barn by moonlight?

It's definetly a bit of a bummer when you put those expectations at the front. I never really imagined much about what the game might offer. I just knew Iiked the setting, the cinematic vibes and the lycan involvment. Does what you describe sound awesome? For sure. Did I expect that going in? Not at all. Thus why your probably dissapointed. Expectations can really fuck with outlooks on movies, games, etc. I try to keep mine in check with whatever I've seen prior to a release or read up on.

Camper182

Anyone know that one site that offered last of us remastered and far cry 4 for a really cheap price is going to have this game aswell?

Although, I generally liked it. I was disappointed in the whole Lycan direction they went with. It was too dull and definitely not enough
werewolf/vampires
....or cowbell.

The way the Lycan encounters were handled were definitely one of the bigger disappointments. Friggin' guys with shotguns and armor ended up being tougher enemies than the Lycans.

Melchiah

XikcZXol.jpg

Platinumed.

It was pretty easy via chapter select. Got all the missing battle trophies in the last encounters right before the end.

Top Bottom