• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Ledhead

Reading all the story speculation posts has motivated me to start my 3rd playthrough.

I can count the narrative focused games that I've played more than twice on one hand.

The visuals, audio, shooting, and story are definitely putting this game up there with some of the best single player experiences I've ever had.

You notice a lot on subsequent playthroughs. They drop hints throughout the game as to what was going on.

On a side note, the OST for this game is incredible.

I feel like the used market is going to murder this game's long term sales more than most.
Understandable. The game doesn't need versus multiplayer, but it does need a reason for people to hold on to it instead of trading it in.

Branching storyline, multiple characters or perspectives, co-op, versus, challenge modes, mutators, new game+, the promise of free DLC down the line, something. Otherwise there really is no very compelling reason to keep it long term.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Understandable. The game doesn't need versus multiplayer, but it does need a reason for people to hold on to it instead of trading it in.

Branching storyline, multiple characters or perspectives, co-op, versus, challenge modes, new game+, something. Otherwise there really is no very compelling reason to keep it long term.
There aren't even any paid DLC/season passes to make people who liked the game to keep it for.

I agree. It has flash moments of horror(going into the hospital) that it just flounders.

I think you(and I) were your own worst hype machines.

The early footage, etc, made it seem like the Lycans were going to be more upfront. However, something seems to have changed over the course of development. In an early trailer there was even a cutscene of them being ambushed by a group of them on a foggy London street, but no such thing is in the game.

Let's hope the sequel is fleshed out in this regard.

leng jai

The ridiculously easy platinum trophy doesn't help either. I've enjoyed The Order immensely and currently on my second play through but it's still hard to justify keeping it at full price.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
One end game thing I really liked.
Galahad's outfit. It maintains the flowing look and the unique silhouette from early in the game and despite not looking as ornate, still looked functional.

I'm holding onto my copy. I think this is a game I'm going to want to revisit from time to time. And, ive never traded in a game, see no reason to start.
Just woke up with the reslization that this post was a lie. I traded Destiny back into GameStop after one day of owning it. Sue me.

Skux

I'm holding onto my copy. I think this is a game I'm going to want to revisit from time to time. And, ive never traded in a game, see no reason to start.

Well if you ever have friends over and want blow their minds with graphics, this and Driveclub are the ultimate exhibition games lol

It sounds great... when it's playing. It would be nice to have some simpler music in the background when you're just wandering around, those sections felt really bare without music and very little ambient sound.

Schryver

Well if you ever have friends over and want blow their minds with graphics, this and Driveclub are the ultimate exhibition games lol

It sounds great... when it's playing. It would be nice to have some simpler music in the background when you're just wandering around, those sections felt really bare without music and very little ambient sound.

Yep even if I would have bought physical...I want to show this game to people.

Yeah I noticed how the music didn't seem to play very often at all throughout the game. It is really good though. Listened to it on Spotify the other day.

Just finished the game, that definitely was the easiest platinum I've ever got lol. I hope they make a sequel with way less QTEs and more dynamic combat sequences. I really was impressed with the last chapters towards the end of the game, but I was kinda disappointed in how it ended so abruptly when the story really got interesting

Funny, you say that, I've actually got a friend showing up in 20 minutes with a growler filled, specifically to check out the Order (and drink beer). Past two generations he's owned an Xbox, and recently bought his first current gen console... PS4.

As for driveclub, I was in Day one and never looked back. Amazing game.

Who the hell is Ish lol. Guess I wasn't paying that much attention.
Ish was the guy who left all those the notes from the sewer chapter where the survivors tried to start a school in the sewer and someone foolishly forgot to close the door, and then yeah lol. You never actually meet or encounter Ish, but it's a nice little token within the notes about his experience trying to survive

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
B-t4LsUXEAAZE_a.jpg:large

I hadn't taken this out until today but I'm pretty impressed with it. Lots of detail and good build quality.

Robot Pants

You notice a lot on subsequent playthroughs. They drop hints throughout the game as to what was going on.

Agreed. A lot more to the story than meets the eye. The presentation of it and execution are so well done. Liking this game more and more each day

Facundo_Lopez

Neo Member
Since I just ended the game, I have to say:

We might be seeing the next uncharted series.

I truly hope this game gets a second installment to get their mistakes mended.

Elios83

Just finished my second playthrough and platinumed the game :D Yay!
I really hope for a sequel which can expand on the story and gameplay.

The story has a few plot holes clearly meant for the sequels but a few things are just not well narrated.

At the beginning of the game the united indian company is attacked by mad people from the mental hospital and it turns out a few of them are lycans.
The game fails to explain what happened, ok the rebels are using the hospital as a base, lycans probably attacked them knowing they have found out what's behind the UIC and in the process they turned a few of the patients there into werewolves, I guess some of those people escaped from the hospital but why they attacked the united indian company? Who sent them there?

Also the Lord Chancellor....he doesn't want the order to investigate about the rebels and whitechapel but at the beginning of the game they're sent on a mission specifically for that, not to kill half breeds, they believe the attack was staged by the rebels so what? They should have let the police handle the matter since the beginning.

Lycans and vampires....have they finally come to a truce to fight for their survival? :D No context is given to their mutual relationship.

Why is Lord Chancellor corrupted? Just because his adopted son is a lycan? Afterall Lucan hid his secret very well for centuries now what? Why would he want to protect Lord Hastings and what is company was actually doing? Because those people knew about his son and blackmailed them? Because during centuries he changed his mind about half breeds and the necessity to kill them also considering that his son was one of them? But it's not like he could refuse to kill half breeds in general considering that's the order main purpose.

Unfortuntey the game doesn't give an answer to these questions and I think it should have to make the story credible. Probably they need a professional story writer to help them next time.

Darknight

I have a story question im confused on. Spoilers!

So why was Lucas helping Hastings? Lucan is a werewolf and Hasting is a vampire. Hastings uses the order to clean up his mess or protection and sends vampires all over the world. So why are the Lycans on their side? Arent they supposed to be "mortal" enemies? Like what benefit do the Lycans get? I dont think this was ever addressed.

The only reason I can think of is because Lucan is a respected Knight and Lycan so others werewolves like him sorta follow his lead. But I wonder Lucan's own reasons. He state's he has to protect his "kind" but if so why is he a Knight? Doesnt make sense. Maybe he is on the fence. On one hand, he loves his human half sister, step father but look after his true race. In order to protect his race, he needs the help of Vamps too...maybe.

Ok so after Galahad kills off Lucan, like I wonder how his death was explained to the other Knights or why he was naked with his head blown off. Maybe the Chancellor cleaned up his death and made it seem like Galahad just killed him and maybe clothed him up?

Lastly I want to touch on Isabelle. I thought the reason she was pissed was because she is in love with Galahad and is obviously loyal to the Order. So her anger amplified when she saw Galahad with another female who happens to be from the rebel side, possibly their leader. I think this would make a women pretty much furious considering he disappeared with no closure to their feelings. This is my opinion of course. Maybe it has nothing to do with love and she is just 100% loyal to The Order but when she was hurt, she did say to Galahad they "deserved better" together or something so those 2 had some feelings towards each other. Or maybe the Chancellorr (her father) told her that Galahad the traitor killed her brother without spilling the truth.

Just finished my second playthrough and platinumed the game :D Yay!
I really hope for a sequel which can expand on the story and gameplay.

The story has a few plot holes clearly meant for the sequels but a few things are just not well narrated.

Also the Lord Chancellor....he doesn't want the order to investigate about the rebels and whitechapel but at the beginning of the game they're sent on a mission specifically for that, not to kill half breeds, they believe the attack was staged by the rebels so what? They should have let the police handle the matter since the beginning.

I thought that was because Malory went against the Chancellors wishes and talked Lucan into letting them go for a look?

Elios83

I have a story question im confused on. Spoilers!

So why was Lucas helping Hastings? Lucan is a werewolf and Hasting is a vampire. Hastings uses the order to clean up his mess or protection and sends vampires all over the world. So why are the Lycans on their side? Arent they supposed to be "mortal" enemies? Like what benefit do the Lycans get? I dont think this was ever addressed.

The only reason I can think of is because Lucan is a respected Knight and Lycan so others werewolves like him sorta follow his lead. But I wonder Lucan's own reasons. He state's he has to protect his "kind" but if so why is he a Knight? Doesnt make sense. Maybe he is on the fence. On one hand, he loves his human half sister, step father but look after his true race. In order to protect his race, he needs the help of Vamps too...maybe.

Ok so after Galahad kills off Lucan, like I wonder how his death was explained to the other Knights or why he was naked with his head blown off. Maybe the Chancellor cleaned up his death and made it seem like Galahad just killed him and maybe clothed him up?

Lastly I want to touch on Isabelle. I thought the reason she was pissed was because she is in love with Galahad and is obviously loyal to the Order. So her anger amplified when she saw Galahad with another female who happens to be from the rebel side, possibly their leader. I think this would make a women pretty much furious considering he disappeared with no closure to their feelings. This is my opinion of course. Maybe it has nothing to do with love and she is just 100% loyal to The Order but when she was hurt, she did say to Galahad they "deserved better" together or something so those 2 had some feelings towards each other. Or maybe the Chancellorr (her father) told her that Galahad the traitor killed her brother without spilling the truth.

The whole thing about Lucan and the Lord Chancellor helping Hastings and the vampires is just not clear and doesn't make a lot of sense.
I guess that while Lucan joined the order on his own will as a way to thank his stepfather, inside him he still wants to protect his own race. His father though...it's not clear what's the sense of his actions...
In the game vampires and lycans clearly are not enemies, it seems like both races are somehow collaborating for their own survival. Lycans attacked the rebels in the hospital because they knew about Hastings and planned to kill him, so you can see their collaboration here.
Questions about what happens after Galahad kills Lucan are obviously left for the sequel, the game shouldn't answer that right now.
And Isabelle...yes she went crazy because she felt betrayed twice as a woman and as member of the order...but yeah I didn't like her reaction...it's not very mature and in contrast to what her character seemed to represent.

RAD needs a bit of help with the story next time, the ideas are good but the narration is flawed.

I thought that was because Malory went against the Chancellors wishes and talked Lucan into letting them go for a look?

Umm but that happens later when they decide to go
to the hospital
if I'm not mistaking, I'm talking about the beginning of the game, chapter 1.
They are on a mission against rebels attacking the united indian company, when it turns out those people are mad escaped from the hospital and a few of them have been infected and became lycans, but they don't know it since the beginning.
At the beginning of the game they're not on mission to kill half breeds, so the chancellor should have not allowed them to go on that kind of mission just like he totally opposed Perceval later

jackdoe

Just beat the game. I completely agree with everyone who felt the game ended during the second act, just as the gameplay concepts and ideas were coming together. Honestly, Chapter XI was probably the best chapter in the game and represents what the game should and could be and I was disappointed that the game ended so quickly after. Hopefully sales are good enough to warrant a sequel to make that happen.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Who the heck can even read that note in the brothel? Is there a legible version anywhere?
Lol, so true. The chicken scratch handwriting. I think the note is written by Charles Darwin though, and it potentially talks about evolution of lycans. If it's really him, I guess in that universe they extended his life (he died in 1882)

Elios83

Lol, so true. The chicken scratch handwriting. I think the note is written by Charles Darwin though, and it potentially talks about evolution of lycans. If it's really him, I guess in that universe they extended his life (he died in 1882)

Darwin is in the council among with Hastings himself =)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Darwin is one of the council members overseeing The Order.

Ledhead

I was wondering that myself. Had no issues with anything else but that one is impossible to read.

Yeah, there were a few documents that were near illegible. The writing was way too small. That was annoying since I was hoping they provided clues and stuff. I did try to read the brothel note and it seems to be written by Darwin

hbkdx12

Enjoyed my time with the game.

Although the cutscenes are prominent, contrary to all the backlash I didn't feel like they heavily outweighed the qte's or gameplay. My opinion may change on subsequent playthroughs though. The true crime if anything is the fact that the gunplay is so fun that you want there to be more. And the Melee in the game packs quite a punch no pun intended. Some of the best melee I've witnessed. Half the time I find myself running into enemies and gunfire just to have initiate the hand to hand combat

The thing I think I dislked the most was the change from traditional tps controls. Not having a dedicated grenade button, having a dedicated cover button and not binding it to the run button and not having a persistent inventory felt a bit awkward and archaic for my taste but not an insurmountable problem by any means.

I also had no problems with the black bars. If I didn't know any better, most of the time I wouldn't have even knew they were there.

The game does leave a lot to be desired and there's definitely a lot of room to grow in regards to a sequel but I don't regret my purchase.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Who the heck can even read that note in the brothel? Is there a legible version anywhere?

Lmao, when I saw that, I made only one attempt to read it and then put it on the table.

Imagine the wonders it must say, all those secrets from the game, even perhaps the sequels, on that single piece of paper. And we can't read them. Lmao.

Joking, it's probably a trivial note or something. But man, how did people communicate through letters in that time? They were pros, no wonder they deciphered hieroglyphics.

Yeah, there were a few documents that were near illegible. The writing was way too small. That was annoying since I was hoping they provided clues and stuff. I did try to read the brothel note and it seems to be written by Darwin

Nevermind, I really want to read it now, hnnng.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Enjoyed my time with the game.

Although the cutscenes are prominent, contrary to all the backlash I didn't feel like they heavily outweighed the qte's or gameplay. My opinion may change on subsequent playthroughs though. The true crime if anything is the fact that the gunplay is so fun that you want there to be more. And the Melee in the game packs quite a punch no pun intended. Some of the best melee I've witnessed. Half the time I find myself running into enemies and gunfire just to have initiate the hand to hand combat

The thing I think I dislked the most was the change from traditional tps controls. Not having a dedicated grenade button, having a dedicated cover button and not binding it to the run button and not having a persistent inventory felt a bit awkward and archaic for my taste but not an insurmountable problem by any means.

I also had no problems with the black bars. If I didn't know any better, most of the time I wouldn't have even knew they were there.

The game does leave a lot to be desired and there's definitely a lot of room to grow in regards to a sequel but I don't regret my purchase.

Don't understand this part. These are pretty much standard TPS controls. Only game I've ever played with sprint and cover on the same button was Gears and thought it was awkward there.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Since I just ended the game, I have to say:

We might be seeing the next uncharted series.

I truly hope this game gets a second installment to get their mistakes mended.

I just cannot see this happening. UC1 was critically acclaimed, and all the core ideas of what make UC great were there. It's still a good game, although buried in the series given how perfect UC2 and 3 were. It was unique for it's time in terms of a TPS cover shooter. The freedom of movement, the traversal, the gunplay, etc. The order doesn't really bring anything new to the table here at all. The gunplay is still pretty awesome, but the cover system is nothing special, the level design is really lousy and run of the mill, and the story is ok at best, some love it, some hate it. Uncharted as a story really works, because it doesn't take itself too seriously, and Nolan North is unbelievable in that role. I loved those characters from act 1... the guys in this game are more by the numbers and not quite as likable.

If by some chance they do get a sequel, I really hope they scrap all their ideas of what makes a game a "cinematic game". UC and TLOU are the absolute pinnacle of cinematic gaming and they're 2 of the best games I've ever played IMO. You don't have to reach what ND has done, not many have. That being said, at least make something you can dive into. If you were capable of skipping all the cut scenes and walking sections, you would have 2.5-3.5 hours of gameplay in there, seriously. TLOU you can skip most cutscenes, although they still have forced walking sections, and there is still 10+ hours of varied and great gameplay. It doesn't overstay its welcome, it changes things up, and it does everything great.

entering and leaving cover were different buttons. that was a good choice
Yep, and I appreciate every game that does this. I've been killed enough times in Gears by vaulting over cover and directly into withering fire during hectic battles. I had some problems with shifting positions in The Order at first, but once you get used to it in The Order moving between cover is actually pretty seamless. There's still room for improvement though.

My main complaint about the shooting is AI, both friend and foe. Like most games, when your ally screams that they'll cover you that has more to do with establishing flavor than it does with actually suppressing the enemy or drawing fire or otherwise helping to save your bacon. That sucks, because if your allies could suppress that would've helped out in some encounters. Also, Lafayette seemed perfectly OK with letting shotgun toting rebels run past him and up to my grill - and I thought we were brothers.

Branching storyline, multiple characters or perspectives, co-op, versus, challenge modes, mutators, new game+, the promise of free DLC down the line, something. Otherwise there really is no very compelling reason to keep it long term.
The storyline, characters, setting, heck even the the combat scenarios are compelling enough for me to keep it. I know there are others who feel differently about all of that but I thoroughly enjoyed the game. I can see myself replaying it multiple times over in the future. There are a ton of linear, single player titles I keep just to experience the story again.

fuck do I have blue balls from this game. About half way into the game my ps4 shit the bed. Selling this one and buying a new one tomorrow ( I hope). Watch a sweet Bloodborne bundle come out in few weeks.

I know I only have a few hours left but it's been brutal. I can't really even go to order threads or discuss the game cause I'm stuck in limbo.

The storyline, characters, setting, heck even the the combat scenarios are compelling enough for me to keep it. I know there are others who feel differently about all of that but I thoroughly enjoyed the game. I can see myself replaying it multiple times over in the future. There are a ton of linear, single player titles I keep just to experience the story again.
I'm going to do the same, which is weird for me, as I'm really not into these more story-based and linear kinds of games. Every once in a while though, I absolutely love em (I'm counting Heavy Rain and to a somewhat lesser extent, Max Payne 3 here). Walking into The Order I was expecting the worst, but was willing to take a gamble if only to see what the PS4 hardware could do with a team dedicated to pushing the presentation, and I honestly wasn't ready for just how impressed and how thoroughly engrossed in its world I'd be. RAD has won me over to the dark side.

But if I recommended this game to my buddies I'm positive they'd all be thoroughly pissed at the idea of paying anywhere even near full price for it. That's a shame, but its reality. I think it was honestly pretty damn short-sighted to release this without something to tempt people to hold onto it, and that'll end up hurting them.

I've beaten Uncharted 3 five times... I've never played the multiplayer, ever.

I always replay single player games if I like them, that's why I don't understand when people talk about replay value, most of my gamer friends are like me, not all of them but several, we just love to play great stories and we love to re-experience them more than once.

Darknight

fuck do I have blue balls from this game. About half way into the game my ps4 shit the bed. Selling this one and buying a new one tomorrow ( I hope). Watch a sweet Bloodborne bundle come out in few weeks.

I know I only have a few hours left but it's been brutal. I can't really even go to order threads or discuss the game cause I'm stuck in limbo.

If you dont mind me asking, why are you selling it? Cant you send it back to Sony or send it in for repairs?

Haines

Banned
Finished it.

I would play a sequel but holy shit it better play better or this series is dead. Game play blew chunks in so many ways.

Oh and I'll just sell this. Aside from looking at textures again, zero replay value.

Sadly, just being a good game isn't enough for people. I'm keeping my copy; I expect to replay it a few more times since I enjoyed it so much.

Chuck

Still without luck
played the first half i guess, going by chapters

gameplay is super generic, looking at objects is hilariously stupid, story and characters are paper thin

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm going to do the same, which is weird for me, as I'm really not into these more story-based and linear kinds of games. Every once in a while though, I absolutely love em (I'm counting Heavy Rain and to a somewhat lesser extent, Max Payne 3 here). Walking into The Order I was expecting the worst, but was willing to take a gamble if only to see what the PS4 hardware could do with a team dedicated to pushing the presentation, and I honestly wasn't ready for just how impressed and how thoroughly engrossed in its world I'd be. RAD has won me over to the dark side.

But if I recommended this game to my buddies I'm positive they'd all be thoroughly pissed at the idea of paying anywhere even near full price for it. That's a shame, but its reality. I think it was honestly pretty damn short-sighted to release this without something to tempt people to hold onto it, and that'll end up hurting them.

Heavy rain is an awful example. Tons of replayability in terms of the choices you make and what happens based on those choices, also something like 9 different endings.

Top Bottom