• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Ok, so, as someone who was mildly disappointed in the earlier chapters of the game, chapter 4 was quite good.

The big Lycan battle was really visceral and exciting, not to mention really well choreographed. I'm also beginning to feel like I'm getting to know these characters a bit.

Hopefully the game has more of these great moments, I'm excited.

Khayam

Banned
Alright, finished the game and I have only one question.

During the final fight, there was a white dot at the bottom at the screen. I uploaded a video of the thing : http://youtu.be/2PG0Z213RY8

I tried to blindly hit Triangle as if it was something to pick up. First time, I was out of luck as I had to evade when I hit Triangle but the second time around, as soon as I did hit Triangle, the boss jumped at me for the final QTE.

What's up with that ?

Just a note to those of you buying this game in Asia. ( thus having Eng/Japan options)

If your system language settings are in UK instead of US, it boots to the Japanese version of the game instead of English, and you can't change the language settings in-game. i was freaking out thinking I had to play it in Japanese, but thankfully I changed my setting to US instead of UK, thus turning it back to English instead of Japanese.

OneLetter, you may want to take note of this.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
One has to appreciate Naughty Dog a lot, they let you customize A LOT of languages options. Spoken language, subtitles language, and even game language, all indepently from each other. I was hoping The Order was following that. Hope they improve that for the next game.

During the final fight, there was a white dot at the bottom at the screen. I uploaded a video of the thing : http://youtu.be/2PG0Z213RY8

I tried to blindly hit Triangle as if it was something to pick up. First time, I was out of luck as I had to evade when I hit Triangle but the second time around, as soon as I did hit Triangle, the boss jumped at me for the final QTE.

What's up with that ?

I also happened during the first Elder fight, I suppose it was a glitch, because it always happened after the "second stage" of the fight.

hydruxo

So if they are the Knights of the Round it's safe to assume that the old man (which you never actually see is old that's just how Gallahad describes him) Percy is talking to is Merlin, right?

Also do the Lucians have tell for when you can attack them when you play half assed punch out against them?

He
didn't look or sound all that old to me during the scenes when they save Galahad from the river, but it could certainly be a younger Merlin. You actually get a good look at his face when he pulls Galahad onto the boat. He looked like he was closer to being Galahad's age. There's so many different figures from Arthurian legend it could be: Sir Bors, Lancelot, King Arthur, etc.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just finished it.

I can't bring anything new to the table impressions wise but Ill just throw my hat in the ring to have it out there.

Graphics are a new standard across the board. So much so that games I used to find stunning look almost a generation behind. I loaded up Infamous to play with my nephew a bit and yeah nothing touches the Order.

Story and the world are excellent but ultimately underused. You can see evidence everywhere that the strain of them creating this new engine taxed every part of the team to the detriment of the game. They just didn't have the time necessary to finish it.

It is the most promising new franchise I have played this gen. I really hope RAD gets a chance to make a sequel because the series has a high ceiling of potential.

Funny enough if I had to give the game a score it would be 7.5/10 That said even though there are other games I would score higher I think of all the next gen games I have played this one will stay with me the most, which if anything is a testament that RAD has a bit of magic here they just need more of it.
Agreed

Giving this game a score is really hard because when reflecting on it, the design flaws are glaring but I can't help but to be really engrossed and enjoying myself while actually playing.

What's up with that ?

Isn't that context sensitive for picking up an item? You have to move the right analog stick to line up with the dot then hit triangle.

jet1911

One has to appreciate Naughty Dog a lot, they let you customize A LOT of languages options. Spoken language, subtitles language, and even game language, all indepently from each other. I was hoping The Order was following that. Hope they improve that for the next game.

I also happened during the first Elder fight, I suppose it was a glitch, because it always happened after the "second stage" of the fight.

In the first fight Galahad picks up a metal pole to hit the Elder and in the second it's a piece of wood.

Nafai1123

Banned
Some impressions from about halfway through the game (I just got to the
docks
)

Obviously, the visuals just blow me away. The level of consistency and atmosphere is unreal. By FAR the best visuals I've ever seen in a video game.

Gameplay is solid. I'm playing on hard with auto-aim off and I haven't had troubles at all. All the guns feel very unique and have great punch to them. I haven't really had many problems with the cover mechanics, but I can see why people would.

The pacing of the game is fantastic so far. Sure there's lots of narrative but there's actually a story to tell and they are doing a good job of telling it. The characters and interesting and the voice acting is great.

Really looking forward to playing more tonight.

What's up with that ?

Yeah all I did was aim at it and press triangle. Galahad picks up a wooden plank and bitch slaps the lycan with it. Nothing special.

Khayam

Banned
Isn't that context sensitive for picking up an item? You have to move the right analog stick to line up with the dot then hit triangle.

That's my question, was there something to pick up like a collectible ? Because otherwise, the whole combat is only QTEs so there is not point in picking up stuff.

Wakka212

Some impressions from about halfway through the game (I just got to the
docks
)

Obviously, the visuals just blow me away. The level of consistency and atmosphere is unreal. By FAR the best visuals I've ever seen in a video game.

Gameplay is solid. I'm playing on hard with auto-aim off and I haven't had troubles at all. All the guns feel very unique and have great punch to them. I haven't really had many problems with the cover mechanics, but I can see why people would.

The pacing of the game is fantastic so far. Sure there's lots of narrative but there's actually a story to tell and they are doing a good job of telling it. The characters and interesting and the voice acting is great.

Really looking forward to playing more tonight.

I actually enjoyed the overall pacing as well, give or take a few chapters. I think the cutscenes and exposition give better context to the gameplay and fire fight segments, making the times I'm actually controlling the character feel more meaningful and justified.

I think a few of those fire fights could have done with fewer enemy waves and instead had soldiers/lycans with better AI. If the encounter areas were designed with more mobility in mind, the gun play sections could have been so much more exciting. Essentially, encounter design similar to TLOU.

Khayam

Banned
This did not work for me on hard. I had you throw a grenade in first, use the Lightning gun, then the triple barreled shotgun (mostly from cover)

Ended up doing this. Without the grenade (they were useless for me throughout the game).

I saved the Blacklight for dire situations, like when the armored guy follows me inside the armory.

Khayam

Banned
I actually enjoyed the overall pacing as well, give or take a few chapters. I think the cutscenes and exposition give better context to the gameplay and fire fight segments, making the times I'm actually controlling the character feel more meaningful and justified.

I think a few of those fire fights could have done with fewer enemy waves and instead had soldiers/lycans with better AI. If the encounter areas were designed with more mobility in mind, the gun play sections could have been so much more exciting. Essentially, encounter design similar to TLOU.

Tomb Raider comes also to mind in regards to the staging of fights.

hohoXD123

So I just finished it, ending definitely felt rushed and there were loose ends but overall it was pretty good. A solid foundation which I hope a sequel can build upon, the world in The Order is one that I would quite like to jump back into, so much potential.

And yeah, the lycan fights were embarrassingly bad.

Sojgat

Shooting is surprisingly good, but I had to turn aim assist off. It was too strong, and would keep pulling me off target when trying to shoot barrels.

Game is better than it appeared on first impression. First few chapters are a real slog.

ced

I've played enough now to give my impressions, to keep it simple what a disappointing game.

Every time you get the feeling that it's good they do something to rip that away.

The balance between cutscenes / walking and shooting is way off. Don't make me slog around for 5 minutes, then do a 3-5 minute cutscene then give me a borderline frustrating combat encounter for 5 minutes. It's just not fun.

Every time I started to enjoy a combat encounter they throw in some tin-head shot gunner that just ruins everything, fuck those guys.

Fortunately they could fix most of the issues for a sequel pretty easily.

Wakka212

Tomb Raider comes also to mind in regards to the staging of fights.

Somewhat agreed.

Although larger spaces with mobility would be great, I don't see this game as suited to the heavy incorporation of traversal elements and quick movement of Tomb Raider.

Has Galahad entered into anyone else's 'favorite characters' list? In this gen at least. I was thinking he could have been a one-track, 'gallant' knight with little in the way of emotional development, but I really grew to like him. He's not a machine of war but expressed his emotions really well. Probably a testament to his voice actor of course too. Kudos to RAD for that.

This happened to me, but during another play of it, it resulted in me picking up a pipe off the floor and battering the Elder with it.

Jito

Banned
So why did Galahad
not bother to speak up at any point during his trial? Could have quite easily been like "well Lucan is a werewolf and so is Lord Hastings". You'd think they could get some silver out and put it on there skin to test if he was telling the truth maybe?

hydruxo

Has Galahad entered into anyone else's 'favorite characters' list? In this gen at least. I was thinking he could have been a one-track, 'gallant' knight with little in the way of emotional development, but I really grew to like him. He's not a machine of war but expressed his emotions really well. Probably a testament to his voice actor of course too. Kudos to RAD for that.

Absolutely. Very engaging character and the voice acting for him is perfect.

EGM1966

Alright, that clears it up. Thanks :D

FYI that moment either has a bug or has additional conditions so far as I can tell. I played that fight a few times to test it and sometimes it remains a dot you can't activate and sometimes you get triangle allowing you to active the move.

Might explain why you couldn't seem to activate the move.

Bond007

Just finished it.

I can't bring anything new to the table impressions wise but Ill just throw my hat in the ring to have it out there.

Graphics are a new standard across the board. So much so that games I used to find stunning look almost a generation behind. I loaded up Infamous to play with my nephew a bit and yeah nothing touches the Order.

Story and the world are excellent but ultimately underused. You can see evidence everywhere that the strain of them creating this new engine taxed every part of the team to the detriment of the game. They just didn't have the time necessary to finish it.

It is the most promising new franchise I have played this gen. I really hope RAD gets a chance to make a sequel because the series has a high ceiling of potential.

Funny enough if I had to give the game a score it would be 7.5/10 That said even though there are other games I would score higher I think of all the next gen games I have played this one will stay with me the most, which if anything is a testament that RAD has a bit of magic here they just need more of it.

This man said it best. Its probably my fav new IP of this gen(Of course its still early)
That being said it needs work....im hoping for a sequel like the jump AC1 made to AC2.

Handy Fake

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=151284038&postcount=827

Akin to a swarthy overseer. *dons shades*

He is great and I really liked Lafayette and angry Igraine. I think Lafayette is my favourite.

I really enjoyed The Order 1886. It's the opposite for me though, I'm finally starting FarCry 4 and it's a breath of fresh air with the freedom.

That makes sense. I've just been having open world fatigue. They are starting to get tedious for me. Between Dragon Age Inquisition, GTAV, Far Cry 4 in just the last few months, it has been quite exhausting. The Order is my breath of fresh air. I'm probably in the minority though.

ryuken-d

I really didn't like either of the stealth sections. The first one was very short so I didn't mind as much, but the long one in the latter half of the game was reaching a balance between completely mundane and frustrating lol
,"find the guard who has the key in this garden maze!"
. Reminded me of the opening stealth level in Uncharted 2, only you're way less mobile. The whole timed button press for stealth attacks feels so contrived too. That and the QTE dodge and combat sections are my chief complaints regarding the gameplay. Oh, and the sticky cover which now feels ancient compared to contextual cover, but that didn't bother me too much.

yeah believe me I could complain about a lot in this game. the stealth was a disappointment especially after playing the new MGS. and the insta death was pretty bad too. I get that you had to go through the section without anybody seeing you. Basically if they didn't give you the cross bow it would have been crap. I'm going to play it again and hopefully knowing how it works the QTE's wont be so annoying.

jacobeid

Banned

Yup. The advancement in technology allowed Galahad's character (read: Galahad's actor) to express complex emotions through facial animations and small grunts. I definitely felt the inner turmoil that the character went through over the course of the game.

If only Tesla could've
Invented a portable camera, so that the rebels could've taken a few recon shots of vampires in UIC crates being shipped around the world
lol.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah

Probably one of the best executed gruff characters I've seen in a game. Too often they're too one dimensional but it's clear there's a lot more to him. The performance is fantastic too. I was expecting him to seem very generic but I wound up liking him a lot due to the fact that he wasn't infalliable. You see the mental toll his years have had on him.

That makes sense. I've just been having open world fatigue. They are starting to get tedious for me. Between Dragon Age Inquisition, GTAV, Far Cry 4 in just the last few months, it has been quite exhausting. The Order is my breath of fresh air. I'm probably in the minority though.
No you're not, I fully agree. Ive been overwhelmed with the current gen game design of "open world" collect-a-thons/quest/filling skill trees. The Order was definitely a breath of fresh air, after skinning animals for hours lol.

Betty

Banned
Yup. The advancement in technology allowed Galahad's character (read: Galahad's actor) to express complex emotions through facial animations and small grunts. I definitely felt the inner turmoil that the character went through over the course of the game.

Can't say I thought Galahad was a memorable character but you're right about the tech allowing easier perception of emotions. After
the death of his friend
, the subtle tenseness in his face coupled with the heavy nasal breathing spoke volumes without needing words.

Jito

Banned

He's entered into my book of stupid characters that had plenty of opportunities to speak up and explain but didn't bother.

ryuken-d

So why did Galahad
not bother to speak up at any point during his trial? Could have quite easily been like "well Lucan is a werewolf and so is Lord Hastings". You'd think they could get some silver out and put it on there skin to test if he was telling the truth maybe?

sorry missed spoiler

oh man I almost yelled at the screen a few times in this game... mostly at the end though. I'm always doing that with movies and tv shows. speak up dammit!!!! I get the ending, why he didn't say anything but not at the trial. I did wish that he would have shot that old bastard though...seriously its all his fault and what about the truth about everything else!!!
not just his son
..wtf!!! I enjoyed the game overall and cant wait for the next one.

wait I thought
Hastings was a vampire? I'm still a little sketchy on the relationship with the Lycans and vampires and what they were trying to accomplish. DUring the early parts of the game I was under the impression that the rebels were in allegiance with the Lycans, especially in the hospital when it looked like the rebels were doing some type of experiment with a lycan. Was that all misdirection?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Not a peep during the trial or when he was captured at the India Trading Company.
There was no point in speaking up at the trial. He knew he was fucked. Hastings was an advisor to The Order and protected by the Knight Commander. They would have covered any evidence easily.

He was trying to be like Mallory, uncovering the issue solo and leaving his friends out until he had hard proof, but he messed up.

ryuken-d

He should have said more to his actual teamates, even proclaiming it at his hearing would cast doubt in people's minds.

I was pissed about his teammates not being in his "circle" I mean who else would he trust the most. him trusting the Lucian or whatever was actually a surprise to me he always seemed like a dick. and his name is evil for crying out loud.
oh man.

There was no point in speaking up at the trial. He knew he was fucked. Hastings was an advisor to The Order and protected by the Knight Commander. They would have covered any evidence easily.

He was trying to be like Mallory, uncovering the issue solo and leaving his friends out until he had hard proof, but he messed up.
Yea that's the way I look at it really.

Jito

Banned

There was no point of speaking up at his last opportunity to speak up? A trial is where both parties give there argument, not just sit there like a sour puss. He could have just appealed to his teammates and been like
"Guys vampires?!"

GobFather

Just finished it.

I was going to write my impression but you wrote exactly how I felt including the score and the conclusion. :D

All 4 protagonists were great. I just wish we knew more about them this game.

Top Bottom