• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Socky

Speaking of which, I really hate how Lakshmi calls Galahad as "Knight" throughout the whole game. Oh come on! He has a freaking name and why on earth does she not use "Gray" or "Galahad" to call him? I'm not trying to be nitpicking but that sounds really awkward and unpleasant especially when they've become allies. That is not how she should call a comrade! Use his name, goddamn it!

That's so when he gets his black costume she can call him Dark Knight...

Does anyone else kind of find it hilarious that everyone in steampunk Victorian England apparently owns the exact same couch?

I noticed it about half way through my first playthrough and now I can't help but chuckle to myself every time I see that couch. It's the solitary flaw of reused assets in an otherwise impeccably rendered game.

P.S. Yes I'm aware these shot are compressed to hell and back but they are clear enough to show its the same damn couch. Fuck yo Couch ready at dawn. FUCK YO COUCH!

Look again - the couch in the gif is not the same as those in the screenshot. The shape of the arms is completely different.

RexNovis

Banned
That's so when he gets his black costume she can call him Dark Knight...

Look again - the couch in the gif is not the same as those in the screenshot. The shape of the arms is completely different.

Nah man it's the same couch. Pattern and everything is exactly the same. The shots are just from different angles.

Socky

Nah man it's the same couch. Pattern and everything is exactly the same. The shots are just from different angles.

The couch in the gif has arms that are level with the back of the couch and has a wooden frame around the top edge of both. The ones in the screen have lower arms than back and no wooden frame.

For all of you guys that got the Platinum trophy, what was the hardest document/newspaper/phono they snuck in? I'm on my second playthrough and am taking it slow checking every nook and cranny. I got all the battle trophies within the first few chapters.

On a side note, it makes you think that they put in blacksight as an afterthought just to make it more "gamey".

My theory is that it was
Lucan who attacked her when they were children. Hence why there was no black water to heal the wound. That would mean that a) Izi knows Lucan is a Lycan and b) Izi could actually be one herself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW7Op86ox9g

Aha. Great minds and all that.

I though the same thing, I kept pointing out the claw marks on on her neck to my buddy. I had a little aha moment at the end.

For all of you guys that got the Platinum trophy, what was the hardest document/newspaper/phono they snuck in? I'm on my second playthrough and am taking it slow checking every nook and cranny. I got all the battle trophies within the first few chapters.

On a side note, it makes you think that they put in blacksight as an afterthought just to make it more "gamey".

On the part where you're
looking for the red insignia on cargo
, I missed a piece of paper to the right of where you begin. There was other stuff as well I didn't get, like the library that you have to play through a second time to obtain everything, plus the room where I picked up the crossbow that automatically advances the plot, but it was that single piece of paper that gave me trouble.

EGM1966

I don't know why, but I have a feeling that
Isabeau knows about her brother and the scratch marks are from him when they were younger.
I don't know why, but it hit me that it might be a possibility during my second playthrough.
I did wonder about that. If she was young enough she wouldn't even necessarily know the cause. Of course it raises some other big questions if they went with this angle. I figured they'd
make more of it,have her hating Lycans for scarring her then have her shocked to realise her adopted brother is one
but they didn't do anything with it (so far).

glaurung

I can get behind this. I actually didn't use blacksight at all during my playthrough of the game.
Same here. I just spammed it enough to get the trophies and that's it. I consider it a half-baked concept since it is barely necessary for core game play.

On the part where you're
looking for the red insignia on cargo
, I missed a piece of paper to the right of where you begin. There was other stuff as well I didn't get, like the library that you have to play through a second time to obtain everything, plus the room where I picked up the crossbow that automatically advances the plot, but it was that single piece of paper that gave me trouble.

I can vouch for this. There were a lot of automatic cut scenes when you reached a certain point. I want to say there was an area right across from the crossbow that I didn't get to either. Thanks for reminding me.

Speaking of which, I really hate how Lakshmi calls Galahad as "Knight" throughout the whole game. Oh come on! He has a freaking name and why on earth does she not use "Gray" or "Galahad" to call him? I'm not trying to be nitpicking but that sounds really awkward and unpleasant especially when they've become allies. That is not how she should call a comrade! Use his name, goddamn it!

I thought that was more about the class differences and affiliations between the two, and lack of complete trust because of it. Him saying at the end I am no longer a knight was telling her they are on the same side now.

Really liked the game, but there a lot of valid criticisms to be had for it but in the end it is an enjoyable playthrough. And there are some scenes I can see myself replaying if not the entire game again. Glad I played through it the first time with aim assist off and on hard because it created some intense fights, but at times frustrating because the AI is almost too aggressive and too accurate on hard. This would have been helped dramatically if the friendly AI ever took down an enemy. I also want to slap the hand of whoever game those shotgunners the repeating shotgun because it is just 1,2,3 dead with those guys at times.

Really wish the game had like another hour to it at the end, and it was missing that "I'm a badass moment". The bridge and the end come close, but felt like Galahad had the potential to do some gnarly extreme stuff that just never happens. Also the Lycan fights, not the elders...woof those were bad.

Things I really enjoyed were the characters, some of the encounters and levels were really fun, the score, the visuals, the lore is so good, liked the weapons, I really enjoyed the second stealth area, and it leaves my mind racing with possibilities as to what they can do with a sequel and I really hope they get the chance. Perhaps that is the biggest compliment I can pay RAD is that I will be there day one for the sequel.

eFKac

I was missing 3 collectibles after my first playthrough. All of them in Chapter XI, 2 in the Archive section. Unless you're really quick and know where to search you won't even be able to get every item until the cutscene kicks in. So you most probably are missing something there.

Yeah I didn't really use black sight much and don't consider it to be an important part of the game. In fact most of the time I forgot I had it.

Melchiah

I was missing 3 collectibles after my first playthrough. All of them in Chapter XI, 2 in the Archive section. Unless you're really quick and know where to search you won't even be able to get every item until the cutscene kicks in. So you most probably are missing something there.

Those, and one of the phonographs just after
the brothel in chapter 3. You need to go left and around the corner after one of the jumps, instead of climbing inside.

Fury451

Banned
Yeah I didn't really use black sight much and don't consider it to be an important part of the game. In fact most of the time I forgot I had it.

Same here. It's kind of a weird mechanic in how it's implemented too- it was like the auto target from Red Dead Revolver/ or how Dead Eye is used in the multiplayer early on parts of Redemption, but I couldn't really tell what it's purpose was.

glaurung

For some reason I missed all the items in the middle of the docks level (especially the ones which are in the first room where you need to find the marked cargo). I also forgot to pick up the last item right next to the crossbows on the table (United India HQ infiltration) near the end of the game.

Wakka212

I actually found it useful to quickly clear the first wave of enemies in a room, or perhaps a few of the last stragglers. I used it throughout.

The camera work during the black sight needs work though.

WITHE1982

In chapter 9
when pushing the mine cart in the underground tunnel there's another shaft if you take a left hand u-turn and there's a phonograph in a box at the end.
I very nearly missed that one.

I can honestly say the only time I used blacksight, other than in the tutorial, is when I accidentally used it when trying to light some thermite. I really should use it more often TBH. I think maybe RAD could make it a little more necessary in and follow-ups.

eFKac

I actually found it useful to quickly clear the first wave of enemies in a room, or perhaps a few of the last stragglers. I used it throughout.

The camera work during the black sight needs work though.

Same here. I saved my skin a couple of times.

I say keep the mechanic, but work on it. I'd prefer it to last a little longer and simply be a slow motion mechanic for precision shots. But if they want to keep that random(?) auto targeting, they need to fix the camera work.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Lycan it so far, only at chapter 3 - just had a big shootout and I'm talking to airships.

Doesn't feel too heavy on the QTEs or cutscenes. They mostly just join up sections which seems fine.

A lot of the levels feel like they were designed for more though. Eg the gameplay section is fairly linear, but the actual level has lots of little twists and turns. They almost feel wasted. And I'm being distracted wandering around them looking for collectibles and there really aren't that many

Wakka212

Same here. I saved my skin a couple of times.

I say keep the mechanic, but work on it. I'd prefer it to last a little longer and simply be a slow motion mechanic for precision shots. But if they want to keep that random(?) auto targeting, they need to fix the camera work.

If they want to keep the fancy stylish shooting they should let us aim at certain targets first, and then let Galahad dispatch them with whichever animation they prefer.

I actually loved kicking open a door or freshly entering an area, getting into black sight, and destroying 4 guys before anyone even had a chance.

Something that I'm confused about. In the trailers didn't they say that black water was great but it came at a cost? What was the cost? The normal downfalls of living centuries? I figured too much would do something bad and though that angle could be cool for abandoned Knights that overdid blackwater and became something much more dangerous

Just finished Chapter 1. A bit heavy on the cut scenes but got pretty fun toward the end of the chapter.
I'm playing on hard and I died a couple of times in the generator room trying to kill the Lycans. That was my favorite part so far.

Looking forward to Chapter 2.

MrFortyFive

Just finished it. It has its problems, but I really enjoyed my time with it. I have a few trophies to finish up, so I'm not quite done with it yet. The brevity didn't really bother me since what's there is so phenomenally polished. Gunplay was basic but enjoyable when things got intense. If anything, my biggest complaint is that I only felt the slightest bit challenged on the very last couple shooting sections. Even on hard, the game just doesn't present much of a challenge.

There's a ridiculous amount of potential for a sequel, so I hope the game at least garners enough interest to warrant making one. RAD has crafted an amazing world here. I'm not going to trade in my copy in hopes that we'll see some DLC or expansions or something. I'd love a horde mode.

NastyBook

Just beat, and cliffhanger is an understatement. That was pretty close to Sopranos series finale. Wait, no, here's an epilogue (of sorts) playing now.

Anyhoo, thought it was a pretty fun, albeit, short game. They need to work on the stealth and combat aspects of this series for the sequel, because they were both pretty shitty here. Again, this is coming from the same studio that gave Kratos the almighty ground n pound move in Ghost of Sparta. They KNOW combat, so the sequel should definitely reflect that. And to segue into stealth, non-lethal takedowns should be in, as well as body moving if they decide to switch up A.I. patrol patterns while you're performing said stealth sections.

Gunplay, story, characters, cutscenes, and graphics are all on point. I hope Galahad doesn't
piss Isabo off anymore than he has already in the next game. Though, technically, her father should let her out of the Order from sheer guilt of banishing Galahad before making him kill his own son.
Somebody in the family should have some happiness.

Wakka212

I'm so desperate for RAD to let us know if there is DLC coming, what the plans are for a sequal, etc.

That extras section is suspiciously empty.

Putty

The game doesn't unfortunately track the time. I had to do it myself the old way by pen and paper, reducing the breaks from the total. Took me 11½ hours.

Then I'll never know. I suspect I'm at around 12/13 hours or so. Getting ready for a second playthrough once I get the latest DC tours out of the way.

KORNdoggy

How do I find out how long it took me to beat it?

took me 9 hours across 4 nights. 2.5 hours first night, 1.5 second. 2 third, and 3 on the fourth night

it's basically the equivilant of the first uncharted in length. and i personally loved it. if they get a chance at a sequel and pace it all similarly to say, the 9th chapter. i think they'll be onto a winner

Melchiah

Then I'll never know. I suspect I'm at around 12/13 hours or so. Getting ready for a second playthrough once I get the latest DC tours out of the way.

Time tracking is definitely a feature I wish all games had.

EDIT:
took me 9 hours across 4 nights. 2.5 hours first night, 1.5 second. 2 third, and 3 on the fourth night

it's basically the equivilant of the first uncharted in length. and i personally loved it. if they get a chance at a sequel and pace it all similarly to say, the 9th chapter. i think they'll be onto a winner

Three evenings here; 4h + 2h20min + 5h10min. Funnily enough, the trophies didn't appear until the last day.

Socky

I found it odd that there's no clear way of carrying out non-lethal takedowns, yet at the end,
during the trial, Hastings says Galahad "incapacitated several of my guards". I certainly did more than incapacitate them and more than several! It seems an odd phrase to describe the slaughter he's referring to, unless there was (or is?) someway to not kill many of the guards. Perhaps this was an option removed from the game at some point?
It just struck me as odd.

Top Bottom