• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
One thing that relly disapointed me was how static the whole environement was. After all the talk of soft body physics earlier in the developement of the game I thought I was going to see some really cool physicy things. :(
I noticed the last few chapters seemed to have more interactive stuff in the environment. Lots of breakable stuff in Chapter 10 and Chapter 11 even had a decent amount of destructable cover/cover that bullets could penetrate.

I hope that the promised destruction is a high priority if there's a sequel. I feel like it would add a unique element to the encounter design that would help set the game apart from other TPS.

Melchiah

It is not disappointing in that sense that the game is pretty decent and well made. It is also fun. The disappointing thing is that it barely met my expectations. I was expecting a whole lot more from the game.

Eventhough I enjoyed the game despite of its flaws, the most disappointing thing for me was how light it was on horror. The werewolf encounter shown at E3
was pretty much it with what preceded it in the hospital, and it was over so quickly.

Daffy Duck

I got the Platinum on Tuesday and I'm itching for another play through already...

Really? Did you blast through it?

I soaked up everything and just don't feel like going through it again, I enjoyed it, but can't see me playing it again.

The three lycan encounters in almost the same style warehouse was also too much.

Wakka212

Eventhough I enjoyed the game despite of its flaws, the most disappointing thing for me was how light it was on horror. The werewolf encounter shown at E3
was pretty much it with what preceded it in the hospital, and it was over so quickly.

So much potential...the atmosphere they created in Ch.4 was perfect. I was hoping many more segments like that were on the way.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So much potential...the atmosphere they created in Ch.4 was perfect. I was hoping many more segments like that were on the way.
Same here. It was one of many things in this game that was underutilized and felt like missed potential. When not confined to my phone I think I'm going to write up a big post on what I want from a sequel.

I like how I am still picking up on little details here and there on my second playthrough, I definitely feel like I got my moneys worth. They better have sold enough for a sequel that's all I am going to say, this game series has a chance to be something amazing

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I like how I am still picking up on little details here and there on my second playthrough, I definitely feel like I got my moneys worth. They better have sold enough for a sequel that's all I am going to say, this game series has a chance to be something amazing
There's actually a lot of minor stuff that contextualizes the groups of human enemies you fight. I wish that stuff was more prevelant in the main story. It would have helped with the perception that the game could be dissonant at times.

hydruxo

Really? Did you blast through it?

I soaked up everything and just don't feel like going through it again, I enjoyed it, but can't see me playing it again.

The three lycan encounters in almost the same style warehouse was also too much.

I bought the game Friday and got the platinum on Sunday. Did one playthrough and got all the gameplay trophies, then went back and played individual chapters to get the collectibles. Took my time and soaked everything in on my first playthrough too. It's a really easy platinum.

There's actually a lot of minor stuff that contextualizes the groups of human enemies you fight. I wish that stuff was more prevelant in the main story. It would have helped with the perception that the game could be dissonant at times.

I agree, it's so hard to pick up on some things your first run because you don't know where the story is going or how much relevance something small has.

The #1 flaw in the game right there and a sure sign that something went wrong in development.

I've had a lot more fun in the shooting scenarios the second or third time through, having a much better handle on movement, experimenting with alternate weapons, melee and blacksight, but nothing seems to make those lycan fights more interesting or involved.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The #1 flaw in the game right there and a sure sign that something went wrong in development.

I've had a lot more fun in the shooting scenarios the second or third time through, having a much better handle on movement, experimenting with alternate weapons, melee and blacksight, but nothing seems to make those lycan fights more interesting or involved.
Something had to have happened in development that forced them to reuse those fights.

hydruxo

Speaking of the hospital,
does the patient locked in the room do or say anything, if you observe him longer?

On my first playthrough I went into the open cell next to where he's at and walked around in there, started hearing him singing/talking when I was near the wall but I had no clue where it was coming from. Then I realized he was in the cell next door. I thought it was supposed to be a ghost or something at first haha.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished the game and kinda want to do a huge wall of text on how I feel about the game, but I figured none would be interested in huge posts clogging up this thread, so I'll keep it "short".

Aesthetically, this game is a masterpiece. All the technical work, animations, textures, designs, sounds, music, etc.; it's top notch stuff and really impressive to see this early on in the generation. Everything combined creates an amazing atmosphere that really supports the setting.

The gameplay is perfectly enjoyable, but held down by a few odd design decisions/flaws. When in cover, the camera sticks too tightly to Galahad, making it really hard to near impossible to assess what is going on on the other side of cover. Some of the encounters were also fairly awkwardly designed; cramped spaces with a ton of enemies flooding in and rushing you, forcing you to stay at the one piece of cover next to the door you came in through. The shotgun/coachgun-wielding enemies were also a massive pain in the ass. This might have been due to me playing on Hard, but I found that if they got you in their line of sight at even fairly long ranges, they would just either one-shot-kill you or stunlock you to death. Cover also seemed fairly wonky at times, with enemies hitting me from angles I feel they should not be able to hit me from. As a final note on the gameplay; the best way to fight the Lycans was to stand in a corner, shoot, press X, and repeat. I feel like they were a wasted opportunity and more could have been done with them than just having them charge at you. "Blacksight" or whatever it was called was - as far as I'm considered - a completely unnecessary mechanic that added nothing to the game.

I did not mind most of the QTEs at all, and I feel like the game mostly did a great job of integrating the 'regular' gameplay, 'cinematic' gameplay and cutscenes. Great to see RaD's ambition come to fruition there.

Now on to the story, so SPOILERS:
Man, I really don't know what to say. I feel the story started out fairly strong; despite certain spots of 'cliche' dialogue, the setup, setting and characters were intriguing enough to pull me in. Lore- and world-building wise, RaD can be very proud of what they did here. I feel the start of the game had the most engaging plot points and scenarios; the whole blimp sequence was great, as was the hospital stuff in Whitechapel early on. Sadly, I feel that the quality and coherency of the story and writing took a nose-dive after them prematurely killing off Perceval and going the clichéd 'oh, the rebels aren't really evil after all, now here's the noble rebel leader that will assist the main character in revealing the true evil; his very own Order!'-route. Honestly, I feel that they should not have had any main rebel characters at all, and have the rebels just be the rebels and not some wrongly accused secretly noble uprising. The story could've worked perfectly fine without them; Instead of seeking out rebel-leader-lady out of stupid revenge, Galahad would've sought out the man he saw Perceval talk to and find out through him that he and Perceval were on the trail of the vampire conspiracy. Instead of Nikola being a rebel sympathizer, he worked together with the mystery man while the rebels would just be pawns in the vampire conspiracy, with them secretly being supplied weapons to keep them fighting so the Knights would be occupied with them and not Whitechapel or the Ripper-murders.

The story lost track of itself in the last few scenes, crammed in some clichés/things that had no logical place in the story and just fall completely flat due to there not being a connection between the player and the specific character ("You and I are just the same.", "Humanity has done terrible things.", "You're adopted.", "I can't kill him myself, please do it for me.", *gunshot*-fade-to-black-credits), abruptly ending in a scene that had nothing to do with anything in the rest of the game and made no sense in the context of the story, leaving us with a numerous unresolved plotlines (Who is the mystery man? Has the rebel leader escaped alive? So what about Isa being angry and misunderstanding and ordering every able knight to hunt Galahad? Sooo... did Perceval know of the conspiracy? Hell, even the actual main plot has no resolution to speak of...), plotholes (Why did Galahad not try to explain himself / out the vampire conspiracy at any time and why did he not even mention it AT ALL to anyone, even during his trial? Galahad was sentenced to death, why lock him up and toture him and then allow him to escape? Why did Nikola go back to the Order after almost certainly having been identified as rebel sympathizer? Why does Galahad agree to what mr. beardy man says at the end? Etc.), and general confusion (Wait, was old beardy man part of the conspiracy or not? Why does it matter that the dude was adopted? Wait what, why is this game suddenly pretending that the Knights protecting public order is the same as Lycans indiscriminately mauling people and Vampires plotting an evil conspiracy to take over important settlement? So what was the point of bringing up the mystery man at all? Etc.)

In retrospect, I also feel that it was a huge mistake to start the game with the flash-forward sequence and then skip over that part when it came up chronologically. It gave too much away about the direction the plot was heading and the entire sequence would've been more impactful in its chronological place.

The gameplay is by no means perfect or original, but still perfectly enjoyable. Visually, the game is a marvel to look at, and the near-seamless integration of gameplay, 'cinematic gameplay' and cutscenes is an achievement that should not be overlooked. The setting and world-building also go a long way in elevating this game above 'just an average TPS' for me. Sadly, the way the story went downhill after a certain point really pulled the thing down for me, to the extent that I do not really feel like going for Platinum anytime soon despite it looking fairly easy to obtain. I feel like all the elements are in place for this game to be great, but too little time to get to know the characters and lack of story resolution hold the game back and amplify the smaller issues the game has.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This game is like a Telltale game and that's okay.

Melchiah

He sings quietly but nothing major as far as I noticed.

On my first playthrough I went into the open cell
next to where he's at and walked around in there, started hearing him singing/talking when I was near the wall but I had no clue where it was coming from. Then I realized he was in the cell next door. I thought it was supposed to be a ghost or something at first haha.

I didn't pay much attention to that, because I was showing the game to my girlfriend, and thus played without headphones. I guess I'm going to replay the chapter by myself tomorrow.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

How?

-There is zero player agency to the narrative proceedings. (Outside of shotting weak AI)

-The price-point demands almost three times the premium(understandably, as Sony couldn't really price it less for various business reasons) but Telltale Seasons go for a fraction when directly compared.

-This actually runs on a working engine.(I've seen no crashes!)

-I guess both are sub 10-hour games...is that why the comparison is made?

viveks86

jon-stewart-huh.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Because structurally large portions of the game borderline play themselves or significantly reduce player agency in favour of a cinematic presentation and progress of narrative. Chunks of relatively short simplistic game systems are spattered in between stretches of narrative, some of which involves a whole lot of "walk down this corridor" and "activate things so people talky talk".

I didn't say this is exactly like a Telltale game through and through ya nongs. Structurally it strikes me as something similar in pacing (if worse) with differences of its own, and that assists my enjoyment, when I don't sit there thinking "OH WOW I WISH THIS WAS GEARS OF WAR HUH". If the intention was to make an Uncharted/Gears style shooter they fucked up. But it plays okay with the mindset of it being a weird shooter/narrative game similarly to what Telltale accomplish.

Melchiah

Because structurally large portions of the game borderline play themselves or significantly reduce player agency in favour of a cinematic presentation and progress of narrative. Chunks of relatively short simplistic game systems are spattered in between stretches of narrative, some of which involves a whole lot of "walk down this corridor" and "activate things so people talky talk".

I can't really agree with that, as I was definitely more in the helm than observing from the side. Being more of an observer than an active participant was exactly why TWD wasn't to my taste, whereas this and Heavy Rain were. TWD felt like I wasn't really controlling the character, which is also one of the reasons for why I disliked the old point & click adventures.

viveks86

I didn't say this is exactly like a Telltale game through and through ya nongs. Structurally it strikes me as something similar in pacing (if worse) with differences of its own, and that assists my enjoyment, when I don't sit there thinking "OH WOW I WISH THIS WAS GEARS OF WAR HUH". If the intention was to make an Uncharted/Gears style shooter they fucked up. But it plays okay with the mindset of it being a weird shooter/narrative game similarly to what Telltale accomplish.

Ok now I get it. The moment anyone mentions telltale, I'm think branching narrative paths, so I was confused by the comparison. But in that mindset, it actually plays worse for me, because I have absolutely no control over how the story unfolds. I don't think they tried to emulate a telltale approach. They did try to emulate the uncharted approach with a heavier leaning on story telling. And yes. In my opinion, they fucked up. They got some basic things right, but a whole lot wrong.

Number45

Is there any way to tell which collectables I missed? Or do I have to go through the whole game again with a fine-toothed comb?
Nope, and yes. Doing it now (or was, I'm done for the night and getting careless in one of the few areas of the game where carelessness means restarts), they'd better damn well improve that (exploration in general) for the sequel.

ciD_Vain

Just finished the game. some thoughts regarding the ending:
I feel like Isi should have been there in the end as well. I don't like how the last time we ever see her she's all pissed off. Bitch don't forget that Grayson saved your ass back in the hospital! Still, I loved the game!! Hopefully they make a sequel.

Australia is a strange land.

Yeah, nah.

Just finished the game. some thoughts regarding the ending:
I feel like Isi should have been there in the end as well. I don't like how the last time we ever see her she's all pissed off. Bitch don't forget that Grayson saved your ass back in the hospital! Still, I loved the game!! Hopefully they make a sequel.

Echos my feeling about the ending too.

Hugstable

Banned
Welp time to finally give this game a shot, I'm really just hoping the game turns out decent for me. Been putting it off after being initially disappointed in the length, and hearing about the enemy variety and missed opportunities, but since I preordered on PSN awhile back, I still have the game and now it's time for me to see how the game is for myself.

It would be interesting to see what happened during focus testing and such. Also wasn't a huge fan of how
Isi last scene is just her pissed off and then nothing else. Kinda made her character arc kinda pointless.

I'm really hoping for some post launch content or something..didn't RAD say they would do DLC if the community wanted some?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think people are too hard on the story. Its no The Last of Us but its still better than most video game "stories".
I think the story is rightfully under extra scrutiny due to how RaD said it was their primary goal for the game. If the game was a more standard TPS most people would probably be fine with it but given the gameplay concessions that were made at times to appease the story, I understand. I liked the story more than most but like many of the criticisms of this game, it's clear why people have issues.

Jito

Banned
I think people are too hard on the story. Its no The Last of Us but its still better than most video game "stories".

But the game was advertised as a cinematic experience and RAD touted the game as an emotional ride. It was emotional in the sense that I was confused and kinda pissed off that this is what we got from the story.

Top Bottom