• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Putty

Should a RaD dev read this, any chance there will be:
1.Skipable cutscenes on a second playthrough
2. The numer of collectibles found in each chapter (like 8/10, etc)
3. Some sort of survivalmode where you can pick up all kind of weapons. Maybe co-op?

Thanx!

Yes to number 2.

vpance

Same here.
This game HAS to be played in hard, then you'll notice some interesting AI behaviour. Specially when they gang up on you, you get shotgunners getting close, gunners chipping your life away (very fast), and granadiers screwing your tactics of staying in just one cover. And sometimes you have very little time to react to the grenade, since it seems it was "cooked" before (or maybe because of the distance). For instance, the final shootout was very hard, took me many retries.

The AI is actually pretty decent on hard, which surprised me since it was never evident from trailers or anything.

One thing that kind of bugs me though is that X to roll from grenades isn't always a surefire dodge.

watchdog

One thing that relly disapointed me was how static the whole environement was. After all the talk of soft body physics earlier in the developement of the game I thought I was going to see some really cool physicy things. :(

I was hoping for more destructibility as well. But I think we let our imaginations run wild with the possibilities when we heard about those soft body physics. It seems like it was mostly implemented for cloth and maybe the half breed transformations. Has anyone tried to shoot at hanging cloth to see if it tears or gets destroyed?

So glad I ignored the critical backlash and went with my gut. Just finished my third play-through and got my platinum trophy. Gotta say, it's refreshing to earn a platinum without having to consult an external resource or log 40+ hours grinding.

A few thoughts:

The game was a labor of love and a visual showpiece. The soundtrack, mixing, and voice acting were equally outstanding. Flaws and all, this was my first experience on PS4 that fit my idea of next-gen.

I took no issue with the interplay between gameplay and cutscene and actually prefer that style of storytelling when dialogue and voice acting are good enough to justify it. The QTEs were mostly annoying but I did like the hybrid mechanics used against the Elder Lycans.

I was fascinated by the story, characters, and lore. Historical figures like Tesla and Darwin helped ground the plot in reality. A shame about the abrupt ending and numerous plot threads left in the lurch. Sequel bait at its finest. Likewise, more screen time for the supporting cast would have given the conclusion a much, much stronger punch. Ironically, I enjoyed the story a lot more on my second play-through.

Gameplay was traditional, if not unremarkable, but high production values compensated for that, at least to my taste. RAD obviously intended to craft a highly focused, story-driven experience, and while the appeal may be niche, it's good to know there's still room for games like that in the big budget market.

masteratt

Yes to number 2.
Are you a RAD dev confirming that that's on the way or are you just agreeing 2 should happen?

I agree with 1 and 2. I think any ideas on the scale of 3 is best kept for a hopefully coming sequel. Call this one done say for a tidy up patch and start working full force on the next game.

One thing that relly disapointed me was how static the whole environement was. After all the talk of soft body physics earlier in the developement of the game I thought I was going to see some really cool physicy things. :(

I know what you mean but the second shootout in the restaurant with all the glass, silverware and furniture breaking everywhere is pretty awesome.

Putty

Are you a RAD dev confirming that that's on the way our are you just agreeing 2 should happen?

I agree with 1 and 2. I think any ideas on the scale of 3 is best kept for a hopefully coming sequel. Call this one done say for a tidy up patch and start working full force on the next game.

I'm a composer who is Rad! But yes, I'm just saying I'd like number 2 to become reality 8)

Just finished it. Loved it. Will play again.

The story seemed a bit rushed at the end, but I liked how this massive saga ended on such a quiet note. When you look at it as a character story the ending feels much more satisfying. Powerful, even.

So true. The story is really more about Gallahad then anything else. I dig it. Now that we have the character "born" so to speak. Let's see what happens next! :D

HORRORSHØW

some of the reviewers dropped the ball so hard on this game it's not even funny. what a solid foundation RAD has built. hopefully it finds commercial success to warrant a sequel; i'm there day one.

Just completed it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I probably finished it in around 7 hours or so which was longer than I'd anticipated going off how short it was supposed to be. And while, sure I'd have loved it to be longer I thought it was a good length without out welcoming it's stay. The latter half was even better and had more gunfights as the story started coming together, while it was slower to start with. I thought the gun fights were quite intense though and enjoyed what there was of those. But it wasn't all out gun fights and I enjoyed exploring, though sadly the environments offer little to explore or look at/find overall. I'd have preferred if they'd expanded on these bits more. I didn't mind the stealth bits. They worked fine and weren't overly long or frustrating. The graphics were a thrill and it looked stunning throughout. Exceptional level of details and it nailed the cinematic atmosphere. The seamless connection of cutscenes and gameplay was so smooth and loading non existent.

The game certainly had more potential but what there was I really enjoyed and it's another game where trusting reviews is the wrong thing to do. I'd rate the game a good 7/10 and feel any or much lower is a complete disservice to the work and game. The game is neither broken or bad and didn't deserve the scores it got in a lot of cases. It's not perfect or does anything new, far from it but 4 or 5/10 this game certainly is not. There's more positives than negatives from The Order. It's a shame then any future potential for a series is pretty much dead imo thanks to the reviews which again I don't feel gives an accurate presentation of what's on offer.

Are you a RAD dev confirming that that's on the way or are you just agreeing 2 should happen?

Yeah i wouldn't mind if 3 was coming with the sequel. In fact, Sony, buy RaD, double or tripple the team-size and give them the opportunity to make the best The Order game possible.

Just beat it in around 6.5 hours. I'd give it a solid 8/10. Story picks up after Chapter 3, the gameplay is solid (loved the Thermite gun), the
Lord Hastings as a vampire/Jack The Ripper
plot twist was cool, but
Lucan being a werewolf
was rather obvious.

I definitely want a sequel, and I'm eager to see the relationship between Isi and Grey develop more. Kudos RaD.

Reposting because it ended up last post of the page. My PS4 is ready when I can afford this. Glad to hear all the positive impressions.
ib0lu0yQde0eTN.jpg

Should a RaD dev read this, any chance there will be:
1.Skipable cutscenes on a second playthrough
2. The numer of collectibles found in each chapter (like 8/10, etc)
3. Some sort of survivalmode where you can pick up all kind of weapons. Maybe co-op?

Thanx!

Also:

Playing the sound files through the DS speaker/holding down touchpad to auto play file.
Photo mode to really take in the glorious graphics.
Failing some QTEs like getting caught brings on an additional QTE to try and redeem yourself rather than instant fail.
Being able to zoom in on the newspapers/photos etc.

So I just started playing it(thank you, Redbox!) And I'm on chapter 1 still. So far, the story has me hooked and the graphics are insane. Hell, even the half-breeds look great. One thing I didn't see coming so far:
Isi is The Chancellor's daughter?!

It's good to see so many people in this thread enjoying this game but after playing through it a second time I still can't understand why. It's a shame, as I really wanted this to be good but it's turned out to be the worst game I've played so far this year. It's mediocrity incarnate.

Spades

It's good to see so many people in this thread enjoying this game but after playing through it a second time I still can't understand why. It's a shame, as I really wanted this to be good but it's turned out to be the worst game I've played so far this year. It's mediocrity incarnate.

I'm sort of in the same boat. I'm going to do a second play through this weekend. Overall I did enjoy the experience, but despite how beautiful the game is, it always leaves you wanting more.

I was fortunate enough to get a free (review) copy, but if I'd dropped £50 to play it, I'd be less positive about the experience I'd imagine.

I'm sort of in the same boat. I'm going to do a second play through this weekend. Overall I did enjoy the experience, but despite how beautiful the game is, it always leaves you wanting more.

I was fortunate enough to get a free (review) copy, but if I'd dropped £50 to play it, I'd be less positive about the experience I'd imagine.

Yeah, I wouldn't say I hated playing it or anything like that although, the walking segments became pretty irritating by the end.

But yeah, I agree with your sentiments that it leaves you wanting more and unfortunately, against my better judgement I actually did drop £50 on it. So, it's a bit of a kick in the stomach.

It's just one of those things that varies per person. I was supposed to get the game for review, they dropped the ball, I bought it, played most of it, then suddenly we got a review code. So I payed for it anyways. I still think of the game in good thoughts mostly. I had fun, there is room for more potential and growth in a sequel, and that's what I'm hoping for. It's a good start for me. If 2 doesn't bring it to another level then I will have issues.

vpance

Playing about an hour or so the last few nights and got to the hospital. That entrance room, got dayum. Tiled walls never looked better.

Spades

"Leaves you wanting more."

Gamers are the only people on the planet who see that as a bad thing.

There is a big difference in something being so good that you want more of it, to something that doesn't really give you enough in the first place. This game is the latter.

Spades

It's just one of those things that varies per person. I was supposed to get the game for review, they dropped the ball, I bought it, played most of it, then suddenly we got a review code. So I payed for it anyways. I still think of the game in good thoughts mostly. I had fun, there is room for more potential and growth in a sequel, and that's what I'm hoping for. It's a good start for me. If 2 doesn't bring it to another level then I will have issues.

Yeah, there is nothing about the game that I strongly disliked. Sure, the constant handholding was annoying and the balance between gameplay and cinematics could've been better (for my tastes), but overall as I said, the experience was a good one. It's just not an excellent one, which it could've been.

But if it was bad, you wouldn't want more if it didn't give you enough.

That's not true at all. You can see potential in something regardless of whether it's good or not. Vampire Rain had a really cool premise that I still want to see done right but that doesn't mean that it wasn't terrible.

An order sequel could be fantastic in the same vein as UC2 and AC2 were. Just make the gameplay more compelling because the biggest gripe I have with the order is that it's story is dull and predictable. Ready At Dawn supposedly pushed story at the forefront but it just wasn't a worthy trade off in my eyes because again, the story is not that good.

And I know Ready At Dawn can make good games because they have before.

Ricker

Isi,Igraine,Isabelle...this confused me a bit at first but it would of been cool in the middle of the story,when she discovers something if we could of played as her for a chapter or something...

I just finished it and I don't know what to say......

It is not disappointing in that sense that the game is pretty decent and well made. It is also fun. The disappointing thing is that it barely met my expectations. I was expecting a whole lot more from the game.

Overall, just to summarize my rating in the form of a number, I will probably give it a 7/10 as a game and 4/10 in term of replay value. Now the question of its price versus its value is subjective but honestly in term of The Order, it is another factor that doesn't have much going for it.

I will also say that the visuals were arguably the best part, and did the deliver on it? Definitely. There are some eye balls melting visuals and scenes and the Thermite Rifle is the most beautiful killing weapon that I have ever used in a video game (no hyperbole)

Top Bottom