• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Sohaim

so Gaf, i finally finished the game( yes i did not rush to finish in one day, i took my time lol), my playtime was about 9h, the only flaw this game has is being short, the rest is amazing, gunplay is beyond solid and so is cover, i liked the story and its world, i also enjoyed reading the papers and the collectibles in general, i enjoyed every moment of the game, the tension, the pace and the damn atmosphere, i REALLY hope there is a sequel, there is a LOT of potencial in this game.

jet1911

I was hoping for more destructibility as well. But I think we let our imaginations run wild with the possibilities when we heard about those soft body physics. It seems like it was mostly implemented for cloth and maybe the half breed transformations. Has anyone tried to shoot at hanging cloth to see if it tears or gets destroyed?

I tried and it does not. :9

I know what you mean but the second shootout in the restaurant with all the glass, silverware and furniture breaking everywhere is pretty awesome.

I noticed the last few chapters seemed to have more interactive stuff in the environment. Lots of breakable stuff in Chapter 10 and Chapter 11 even had a decent amount of destructable cover/cover that bullets could penetrate.

I hope that the promised destruction is a high priority if there's a sequel. I feel like it would add a unique element to the encounter design that would help set the game apart from other TPS.

Yeah but a lot of those things are also in most games where you have to shoot people in the face. I guess my expectations were too high. :(

When in cover, the camera sticks too tightly to Galahad, making it really hard to near impossible to assess what is going on on the other side of cover.
A part of me thinks that is a solid decision, as huddling behind cover shouldn't provide you the situation awareness provided in most third person shooters - so that loss of awareness actually seems fair and offers up some more dramatic tension. BUT... a human being in that position would also have a lot more information coming into the picture - something that a video game can't represent - so while constraining the player's vision makes sense, and especially so when considering competitive multiplayer - it isn't the only thing to consider in a decision on whether that's the right thing to do. But I did learn to adapt and use the peek-over and peek-out to help me surmise what was what.

The beginning of this game is paced horribly holy shit
Not if the setting is what draws you in. If anything, games don't give themselves enough time to breathe and establish themselves. I never found it slow, though I could've used another 8 hours of story and gameplay in that world, easily.

daman824

A part of me thinks that is a solid decision, as huddling behind cover shouldn't provide you the situation awareness provided in most third person shooters - so that loss of awareness actually seems fair and offers up some more dramatic tension. BUT... a human being in that position would also have a lot more information coming into the picture - something that a video game can't represent - so while constraining the player's vision makes sense, and especially so when considering competitive multiplayer - it isn't the only thing to consider in a decision on whether that's the right thing to do. But I did learn to adapt and use the peek-over and peek-out to help me surmise what was what.

Not if the setting is what draws you in. If anything, games don't give themselves enough time to breathe and establish themselves. I never found it slow, though I could've used another 8 hours of story and gameplay in that world, easily.
No, it's bad.

Cutscene-->"hold left and circle to change cover"-->Change cover once-->cutscene--->"hold the left trigger to aim a weapon"--> aim weapon and move forward for half a second--> cutscene.

This would seriously be a better movie than a game. It's almost as if the developers were like "alright I guess we can let them control Galahad for a few seconds here and walk forward. But not for too long!"

Grinchy

Banned
The market price for this game is dying so quickly. Just 6 days later it's selling for ~$45 used. Amazon is already putting it on sale for $50.

I got the plat and sold it while I still could. I definitely enjoyed it, though.

Majanew

Banned
Just beat the game tonight. I really enjoyed it. Solid controls, fun gunplay, amazing visuals, great sound design with some of the pistols sounding weak being my only complaint, and a pretty good story. The game also lasted longer than I was expecting after all of the numerous threads on its length.

STORY SPOILER:
I was thinking about Jack The Ripper ever since I heard about the game being set in London in the 1880s. I thought it was cool when Lord Hastings was revealed to be a vampire and Jack The Ripper. Nice touch I thought.

I was fine with the way the game ended, but I do hope the game sells enough to warrant a sequel. We need it and I'll be there day one.

Great job, Ready At Dawn.

Mifune

Mehmber
Yea agreed. I actually enjoyed just walking around, talking to people and taking in the sights.

My favorite sequence is that long, slow walk through Whitechapel near the beginning of the game. Everything about where the story is going, and what it's really about, is written in those dirty, destitute streets.

Bond007

The market price for this game is dying so quickly. Just 6 days later it's selling for ~$45 used. Amazon is already putting it on sale for $50.

I got the plat and sold it while I still could. I definitely enjoyed it, though.

Well its a single player game with zero multiplay options.
its to be expected.

My gamestop has billions of copys of uncharted 1 and 2 also.....

game was ok...I got the plat in about 6.5 hours...I played on easy though and followed collectible guides. Thought it was funny how u can get almost all the weapon kill trophies off of the first enemies in the game

game was ok...I got the plat in about 6.5 hours...I played on easy though and followed collectible guides. Thought it was funny how u can get almost all the weapon kill trophies off of the first enemies in the game
Was that your first playthrough? The fun of combat completely disintegrates on easy lol.

Was that your first playthrough? The fun of combat completely disintegrates on easy lol.

yeah that was my first playthrough...I know I am in the extreme minority, but I have come to a point where I do not like challenge in games. I dont know whats wrong with me lol...so I didnt mind it. I actually still did die at a couple parts

jackdoe

This game's hard mode is the equivalent of easy or normal mode of other third person shooters. The only real way to die in most encounters is to be ultra agressive and rush enemies.

This game's hard mode is the equivalent of easy or normal mode of other third person shooters. The only real way to die in most encounters is to be ultra agressive and rush enemies.
I have to disagree, in my experience at least, I never rushed enemies on hard and I'd constantly have shotgunners flanking me and grenades being lobbed at me like crazy. Armored fellas were a pain the ass too, died several times.

I'm pretty adept at third person shooters too, used to play Gears and Uncharted MP pretty intensely.

Ephemeris

Just completed it. Loved the atmosphere and dug the story. Didn't feel like rushing through the game so I was able to take it all in. Outstanding OST.

Initially I was all "no, not like this ! " at the ending /
chancellors request. My love of Justice is too strong to be okay with that , especially if we don't get a sequel.

That Said, I am totally happy with the ending if this series continues. And it has to. So much work left unfinished.

NIGHT-

About a hour into the game and so far I'm impressed. Voice work and gun play are pretty fun, though I hate all the QTE sections and the black bars kinda take me out of the experience. I plan to stay up most of the night digging into it more

Vitor711

I have to disagree, in my experience at least, I never rushed enemies on hard and I'd constantly have shotgunners flanking me and grenades being lobbed at me like crazy. Armored fellas were a pain the ass too, died several times.

I'm pretty adept at third person shooters too, used to play Gears and Uncharted MP pretty intensely.

I agree. Hard is no joke in the later conflicts - shotgunners will drop you in one shot if they get close and you'll still take damage when blindfiring.

The final combat encounter took multiple tries - apparently shifting between cover constantly (using the direction and cover button) is a big help. Enemies lose track of you very briefly and their fantastic aim is lessened while you have time to line up a shot.

jackdoe

I really abused Blacksight whenever I saw an advanced enemy and didn't have a power weapon. When I did have a power weapon, I pretty much became unstoppable (especially with the completely overpowered Arc Gun). For me personally, I think I died more during the QTE segments than the shooting segments.

My personal metric for difficulty is pretty much how angry playing through makes me. In other TPS's hardest difficulties, like Gears of War or Uncharted, there are encounters where I die so frequently that I want to hurl my controller at the screen. The Order never incurred such wrath.

AmuroChan

Just finished the game and boy what a ride that second half of the game was. Really enjoyed the world, story, and characters. I completely understand some of the criticisms it received in reviews, but from a purely enjoyment level I loved it. It's been a while since I got so engrossed in a game. The ending
leaves it pretty wide open and I hope that in the sequel we'll get to explore more of London's landmarks or maybe even venture out to another city/country.

Fury451

Banned
Wait, wtf?!
There's actually vampires!?
All this time I thought it was just mere speculation. D:

Story spoiler:

You can find one as early as the hospital in the basement- Galahad comments on a "poor bastard burnt to a crisp" or something like that. Look close- pointy ears, teeth, and a stake in the chest.

Yea agreed. I actually enjoyed just walking around, talking to people and taking in the sights.

You didn't think the pacing could have been way better?
I platinumed the game, but only because of the beautifully implemented chapter select feature.

Unskipabble cutscenes and segments where you are forced to walk shouldn't be in a game unless it's crucial for the story, which in this game is not the case.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Oh... Okay.
I mean, I already knew it was going to end but I expected a more extensive cooldown at the very least. That felt like the first half of an amazing 15 hour game. It just really started to get going y'know? Besides that, the game was really fun and the story kept me pretty interested. I loved the writing too. None of that over the top overly fluent nonsense I was really expecting for some reason. Graphics were top tier, sound was even better and I hope they make the sequels twice at long with some co-op. Obviously, both Sony and RAD knew how long their game was and expected whatever backlash they got. I'd love to see a lot small changes that need to happen immediately before they get too far into the next one. Very very tiny stuff like a size adjustment for subtitles, holstering weapons, turning off HUD, Foward + O to move forward/to the side of cover you're in, I could really keep going. Dunno what too much else to say. I'll just read the rest of the thread. Now for The Order to fund my Bloodborne purchase. I look forward to picking it back up when it's like $10-$15 on Black Friday.

I hope the cost of all these graphics wasn't content. I want to believe not but if I do that means more content for the future.

Oh my god the soundtrack is on Spotify.

You didn't think the pacing could have been way better?
I platinumed the game, but only because of the beautifully implemented chapter select feature.

Unskipabble cutscenes and segments where you are forced to walk shouldn't be in a game unless it's crucial for the story, which in this game is not the case.
I mean, I do think the pacing could have been better, but, I don't know, I still enjoyed how it all played out. I think I just really dig the setting/characters and atmosphere more than some others here. I genuinely enjoyed watching the cutscenes, they didn't really feel intrusive to me, on the contrary I like the ebb and flow between cutscene and controlling Galahad. Everyone feels differently about these but I don't mind forced walking segments. I'm actually not one to just jog or run everywhere, I love walking in games lol.

I do think cutscenes should be able to be skipped in every game though.

Conduit

Banned

Smgh! Enemies will kill you quite fast if you rush into fight. Shotgunners can be pain in the ass, especially the shielded one ( chapter 15 )

Anyway, game is finished! Took me around 10 and a half hours on hard. What a great game! Great and satisfying gunplay, great story and best graphics around! Didn't find all the items in first playtrough. Minus for me is sometime in the middle of the fight camera angle can be disturbing and cover system can be confusing also when fight is tense.

Anyway, some screenshots :

i0RU42y.png

gKkNcSK.png

CRpMgko.png

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
the pacing in this game and balance between game and cut scene is awful. Its really too bad because the gunplay is so Damn good. the sniper is beast

antitrop

I said earlier in the thread that The Last of Us on Normal was considerably more difficult for me than this game on Hard. And the Last of Us is a pretty easy game on Normal or Hard.

Almost all of the gunfight scenarios in The Order can be solved with blindfire from cover. Not that that's fun, and that's not how I played it, but you could if you wanted to.

Superflat

Cutscene-->"hold left and circle to change cover"-->Change cover once-->cutscene--->"hold the left trigger to aim a weapon"--> aim weapon and move forward for half a second--> cutscene.

Exaggerated to an extreme of course but this kind of relentless control from the game was something I couldn't ever escape.

Things that I felt should be contextual were treated with button icons floating up every single time. Even tiny things like being able to pull out your own weapons, toggling the light, etc, it's all micromanaged by the game; you can only do certain things when the game deems it appropriate. It constantly feels restricting and oppressive.

hydruxo

Exaggerated to an extreme of course but this kind of relentless control from the game was something I couldn't ever escape.

Things that I felt should be contextual were treated with button icons floating up every single time. Even tiny things like being able to pull out your own weapons, toggling the light, etc, it's all micromanaged by the game; you can only do certain things when the game deems it appropriate. It constantly feels restricting and oppressive.

Honestly it didn't bother me one bit. I took it as being along for the ride, and it kept me engaged throughout.

Nuke Soda

It was foreshadowed on the bridge when Gallahad was punching the shit out of the guy, and screaming "where is she?" Over and over lol

I missed that because I was still pumped after going ape shit with a rocket launcher. Galahad became a one man army during that set piece.

Top Bottom