• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

hydruxo

Yeah no dedicated roll button was strange, especially considering the animation for it is already in the game for when you fight the
lycans
. So many times I wanted to roll to get away from shotgunners but I couldn't do it.

Iorv3th

Just beat it today. Really liked the game, thought it was great. Played it on hard. Some parts could have been better, but overall I really enjoyed it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah no dedicated roll button was strange, especially considering the animation for it is already in the game for when you fight the
lycans
. So many times I wanted to roll to get away from shotgunners but I couldn't do it.
Yeah, I really don't know why that wasn't in. It just added an extra button prompt on screen mid battle making it more awkward to use and limited combat mobility.

d9b

Banned
Platinum done just now. Great game, great gunfights, stunning graphics and overall great experience. Do want more! Hope for some lengthy DLC and a sequel.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Roll was originally in and mapped to X at all times, there was also a quick side-step and a duck while aiming also mapped to X. It was removed due to a combination of the team feeling like the rolling around looked too goofy and felt out of place, as well as focus testers "rolling into trouble" lol, not my words. But there it is.
Man, fuck focus testers. I would have loved those mobility options. They sound awesome.

Roll was originally in and mapped to X at all times, there was also a quick side-step and a duck while aiming also mapped to X. It was removed due to a combination of the team feeling like the rolling around looked too goofy and felt out of place, as well as focus testers "rolling into trouble" lol, not my words. But there it is.
Yeah that makes sense, I assumed it was something like that.

Got to Chapter five and very much enjoying this game. I can't see so far why this game would be ranked as low as it has been. Very solid games, good mechanics, well acted, decent narrative, and absolutely incredible graphics. Seriously, this is a landmark title visually. It looks incredible.

Holy crap, I sent an email to the after following the cryptic mystery ARG thing and got an email with a code telling me to enter it on the 20th feb. I figured it was a dynamic theme or something snd forgot all about it. I go to put the code in today and its for the full game! Gonna give it to a friend in work whos just got a PS4 and I know he'll love it.

OneLetter

Holy crap, I sent an email to the after following the cryptic mystery ARG thing and got an email with a code telling me to enter it on the 20th feb. I figured it was a dynamic theme or something snd forgot all about it. I go to put the code in today and its for the full game! Gonna give it to a friend in work whos just got a PS4 and I know he'll love it.

Glad you remembered the code! :D

Damn, it's tlou all over again. I will miss Galahad :(

I need a sequel. And i hope to see released soon the Photomode to make justice to this game.

Hey OneLetter, since you're here what would be a good place to leave some constructive feedback for the team? I know there's a lot of hate and vitriol flowing and I want to separate that from the genuine comments.

I am sure they are able to parse out what is legitimate criticism without needing to be shielded from the less helpful opinions.

kmag

That, and the fact that in my years of school if I got below a 70, I failed. That's how the 1-10 scale has been used for games and that's how I've viewed them. Below a 7/10 means a lot of people will avoid the game. It's also why I view the 4/10's and 2/10 The Order received as complete bullshit. Those scores should be reserved for broken games.

Most places do a ten point score. You're essentially wanting to reduce that to a 4 point score system (1-6 for bad games, 7 for average games, 8 for good games, 9-10 for exceptional games), I'm sorry there's a big range for average and good games, it can't just be reduced to two scores.

This is an average game. Outside of the presentation values there's no facet which I'd rate as exceptional and very very few I'd rate as good.

Aspiring

Just up to chapter 4 and wow. Really i have no idea what some reviewers and people were playing but must be different from me. This game is awesome.

Anyway i noticed i had an email from amazon with my pre order bonus but because i had the collectors edition i already have the knights arsenal DLC. Would someone like the code? Dont want lurkers to grab it so just quote the post, and i will PM it to you.

God the guns have some punch to them!!

I still cannot fathom how this game received the scores it did. Of particular surprise and note is its handling of certain characters introduced later in the story, absolutely marvelous!

HORRORSHØW

Just up to chapter 4 and wow. Really i have no idea what some reviewers and people were playing but must be different from me. This game is awesome.

Anyway i noticed i had an email from amazon with my pre order bonus but because i had the collectors edition i already have the knights arsenal DLC. Would someone like the code? Dont want lurkers to grab it so just quote the post, and i will PM it to you.

i wlll take it. thank you.

Iorv3th

Whelp, I broke down and bought this today. Looking forward to a good story driven game.

Your in for a treat then. Thought it had a great story, somewhat confusing at first but makes sense as you get further in the game.

Goddamn, this game price has dropped to $50 on Amazon. Definitely not a good sign :(

Game gets a lot of shit thrown at it for being 'short' when I don't feel that it's shorter than many games in the same category. Do I want more? Yes. But it doesn't make the time I spent with the game bad at all.

Another thing I didn't get from this playthrough was the reviewers saying the game had bad stealth sections.... there was one stealth mission that I recall and it's only stealth for the first 5 minutes or so, and you don't have to be stealthy the way you think. You only spend maybe 15 minutes in that section.

Finished it and Platinumed it. It was great but it had some shortcomings.
-Graphics, Sounds, Voices, Art Direction, Score and Shooting were amazing!
-Setting was also amazing.
-Story was okay, they definitely drop the ball with the last few chapters, and they definitely had a sequel in mind.
-Characters were also Okay, would have liked a bit more development, especially for Galahad. That ending just left me wanting more from him.
-Gameplay: like I said the shooting was great, stealth was eh, QTE were okay, boss fights could have use more development as well as the Lycan fights.
-Length: 8 hours to beat and platinum in Medium difficulty.

I think the game could have used puzzle sections as well as more Order missions so that you could get to know the characters more as well as the actual Order. All in all, I'd give the game a 7. Which makes the MT score pretty spot on. Hopefully RAD bring their A game with the sequel. Also I want a horde mode with those weapons and you know give me MP or Co-Op if you can.

I really like this game, on chapter 8 in one sitting.

But I really dont think you should pay $60 unless you just dont have to worry about money. It will last you one weekend or so and that's it. Do rent it and play it though. If your game budget is one game a month please dont buy this game.

I might buy it later on when its $20 or so just to be able to play it again. It looks incredible.

They really needed a horde mode or mercenaries mode to allow you to enjoy the gameplay more outside of being tied to the story.

I really like this game, on chapter 8 in one sitting.

But I really dont think you should pay $60 unless you just dont have to worry about money. It will last you one weekend or so and that's it. Do rent it and play it though. If your game budget is one game a month please dont buy this game.

I think it would be a pretty good value at $39 or so. But yeah. I picked it up the day it was released, and by Sunday night I'd played through it twice and gotten the Platinum.

God. This game has so much potential, but dammit if it doesn't keep pissing me off. Why can I only do certain things when the game wants me to? Why do I walk at a snail's pace for the majority of the time? Why do the controls feel loose and floaty? Why does the game keep telling me exactly what to do, rather than extablish any systems to learn and implement as needed?

I love the setting, the characters, the plot so far, the graphical the style. But God dammit. Stop pissing me off and let me play you.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Do the chapters get shorter later on? I think it's taken me 5-6 hours just to get to chapter 9.

Yes big time. Chapter 10 is a cutscene from what I remember, 11 is the last long chapter, then 12-14 are 95% cutscene, followed by 15/16 which takes about half hour.

Megatron

Just finished the game. Trying to avoid spoilers as much as possible. The final battle was a bit of a letdown.
Being a giant quick time event and all. The huge battle just before it was incredibly frustrating
this game just loves to throw you into fire fights with no cover towards the end. Hated that trend. I have to say though, I loved the ending. What a great way to go out.
Pistol shot. Alastar dead. Roll credits.
Loved it.

Another complaint I had was the stealth missions. T hose got tedious.

Other than that though,I really liked the game. I liked what they were trying to do by blending cinema and gameplay together. I will still trade it in now as it's value is high, but I can see myself picking it up years down the line again for $10 or as a free PS Plus game. I hope there is a sequal.

I have to say though, I loved the ending. What a great way to go out.
Pistol shot. Alastar dead. Roll credits.
Loved it.
Glad to see I'm not the only one. I just stood there for a good moment, I don't know, it just felt powerful to me. I know it's very divisive but the whole ending+mid credits scene was right up my alley.

d9b

Banned
Glad to see I'm not the only one. I just stood there for a good moment, I don't know, it just felt powerful to me. I know it's very divisive but the whole ending+mid credits scene was right up my alley.
Definitely not the only one. I think it's a great ending too.

Cloudy

Banned
Just got to Chapter 14. A lot of the reviews say the game is boring. I don't get that critique AT ALL

PS: I've played about 10 hours

Just finished it. Put me in the "Why the hate?" category. Only real complaint I had with the game was the insta-death QTEs. Why on earth are those in a game in 2015?

sinnergy

Just got to Chapter 14. A lot of the reviews say the game is boring. I don't get that critique AT ALL

PS: I've played about 10 hours

Because people have different tastes? And reviewers are people.

But ill say this, some loved Ridge racer 6, I hated it. The RR6 userbase was very small but active...

Make up your own mind about the stuff you like, and don't let other peoples opinions weigh that much..

d9b

Banned
Because people have different tastes? And reviewers are people.

But ill say this, some loved Ridge racer 6, I hated it. The RR6 userbase was very small but active...

Make up your own mind about the stuff you like, and don't let other peoples opinions weigh that much..
I draw the line with this game and certain websites and their reviews. Don't trust them at all anymore. They can have dicks instead of clicks as far as I'm concerned to be honest.

Megatron

I went back and got all the achievements except the ones for finding crap. I would do those, but with the exception of the audio logs, there's no list to tell you which ones you do and don't have. so basically I'd have to play through the game again with a guide. Meh. I'm just going to trade it back tomorrow before the price drops.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Been playing through it again on Hard with no aim assist and am up to Chapter 4 now, but it seems like the only thing that's changes is that it now takes much longer to recover from damage. Everything else seems to be the same.

I might just drop it down to Easy to run through the game again since there's no Trophy associated with it. My main goal for this playthrough is to try to pick up on story bits that I may have missed in my first go.

I wanted more, but that moment right there felt powerful to me as well.
I actually felt conflicted and that's exactly how Galahad was feeling at that moment before the shot

Sami+

Just beat it. Played through the whole game in a sitting with my friend, streamed it on Twitch. Fuck, that was so fun.

That ending shot was fucking perfect, oh my god.
Those MGS3 vibes
. I was literally thinking to myself "PLEASE LET IT CUT TO CREDITS PLEASE LET IT CUT TO CREDITS THAT IS LITERALLY THE PERFECT SHOT TO END ON IT'S PERFECT DON'T RUIN IT" and they did and I was so happy.

Top Bottom