• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Lol, oh I'm not worked up at all, I was just replying to the other poster. I haven't really talked about or thought about Giantbomb for well over a year now.

I wasn't saying that they were implying that at all, I was simply stating that for me, reviewers are becoming far more irrelevant in terms of objective opinions than ever before. Again that's just the way I personally see it. I'm not saying they're wrong, or calling anyone dumb, only that this game has shown me that I can no longer take critic impressions too seriously anymore as things I generally view as fun aren't seen as such by a large amount of the gaming media.

Right and i largely agree with you - I just don't see why you'd write off the entire site and their content because reviews are probably the smallest part of what they offer on their site.

It's always weird to me when people say "oh i don't go to giant bomb because i don't agree with their reviews" when they are barely a reviews site.

Honestly i think they should just stop doing reviews and stick to quick looks and the podcast.

:)

i've always thought that being forced to play a large number of games that i personally had no real interest in playing sounded more like a version of hell than a job. i can't really see how it wouldn't greatly impact on someone's ability to enjoy playing games, & eventually sour someone on gaming completely...

Well that and maybe its seeing the industry up close like they do and seeing the ridiculous politics and such but still if you don't like it anymore do something else. I do really like them as individuals and think they are quite entertaining when they are discussing anything but games.

Future

I refuse to believe that even the people that like this game can't see why it would have mixed opinions.

The game is short overall, short shooting scenarios and has little to no post game content or replay value. That alone is gonna bring some negativity

The game made a choice to focus on lots of slow walking, dialogue and cut scene interruption. That will also annoy some people

The game is also story focused, with lots of time spent on cut scenes and dialogue more than combat itself. If you don't like the story or get immersed in the world, which also has very mixed reception, then that is the ultimate nail in the coffin. This game is not for everyone and in no way can be universally recommended like an uncharted.

Now of course you could like some, or all of this. No doubt. But it should be pretty clear why many would not. Crystal clear in fact.

Even the shooting is pretty straight forward. Everyone seems to agree that it's not technically bad shooting anyone, but how engaging it ultimately is... That's up for debate. Stealth sequences and overused QTEs definitely get a mixed response, as do the particular enemies you are fighting.

I do think if you get immersed in the story, then your opinion will go more to the positive despite the flaws. Because in terms of production value in telling a story (acting, music, visuals), this game nails that shit out of the park.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Well that and maybe its seeing the industry up close like they do and seeing the ridiculous politics and such but still if you don't like it anymore do something else. I do really like them as individuals and think they are quite entertaining when they are discussing anything but games.

Yeah obviously the politics and such are why this game got mediocre reviews.

Right and i largely agree with you - I just don't see why you'd write off the entire site and their content because reviews are probably the smallest part of what they offer on their site.

It's always weird to me when people say "oh i don't go to giant bomb because i don't agree with their reviews" when they are barely a reviews site.

Honestly i think they should just stop doing reviews and stick to quick looks and the podcast.
Well that's the thing, that sentiment that I generally found in their reviews carries over in a way into their discussions and other pieces they do on games. My main point is that in my eyes, I've found they look at many games (not all) through a lens that leans towards the negative much of the time. I'm sure they're great folks, nothing against them but I'm an...overtly positive person when it comes to games lol. Our views just don't mesh at all, which is fine really.

Anyway, I don't want to keep the off topic posts so I'll get back on track.

Well I finally finished The Order this afternoon and it was thoroughly enjoyable!

The story, atmosphere and voice acting were first class imo and the gunplay/cover shooting was quite visceral and satisfying. The array of weapons were also really enjoyable (love the triple barrelled shotgun!) and the elder Lycan fights were great but maybe not as many as I hoped for. The characters were also interesting and had great depth.

Disclaimer: I have a full on man crush for Galahad and Lafeyette.

Naturally the visuals are simply astounding and I don't think there's a better looking game out there right now on console or PC. My dad who has no interest in games, regularly saw me playing and eventually asked what CGI flick I kept on watching haha.

I've enjoyed the world RAD have created and I'm sure they can improve for a potential sequel which I really hope there is one. The game does have it's undeniable shortcomings like pretty standard gameplay mechanics, blacksight is a little meh and the two entire chapters devoted to cutscenes were a bit excessive (but I get RAD are trying to tell a story).

Overall this was a great first attempt at a full fledged console title and RAD should be very proud of the game they created. The world is ripe for another sequel which again, I really hope we eventually get.

Me and my brother were going back through the campaigns of Gears of War and just recently finished the 3rd game. One thing about them is the weight of the characters and your movement around the levels used to never bother me but having just played TLOU and The Order I really hope they make you more mobile in the next game. It makes me realize just how far we have come since those games in the TPS genre. The Order has pretty much perfected that sense of heavy movement but still giving you the feeling that you have the agility necessary to move around the map easily.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I refuse to believe that even the people that like this game can't see why it would have mixed opinions.

The game is short overall, short shooting scenarios and has little to no post game content or replay value. That alone is gonna bring some negativity

The game made a choice to focus on lots of slow walking, dialogue and cut scene interruption. That will also annoy some people

The game is also story focused, with lots of time spent on cut scenes and dialogue more than combat itself. If you don't like the story or get immersed in the world, which also has very mixed reception, then that is the ultimate nail in the coffin. This game is not for everyone and in no way can be universally recommended like an uncharted.

Now of course you could like some, or all of this. No doubt. But it should be pretty clear why many would not. Crystal clear in fact.

Even the shooting is pretty straight forward. Everyone seems to agree that it's not technically bad shooting anyone, but how engaging it ultimately is... That's up for debate. Stealth sequences and overused QTEs definitely get a mixed response, as do the particular enemies you are fighting.

I do think if you get immersed in the story, then your opinion will go more to the positive despite the flaws. Because in terms of production value in telling a story (acting, music, visuals), this game nails that shit out of the park.

I'm at chapter 9, and unless things go dramatically South, it really isn't noticeably worse than many cinematic games, or standard TPS either. I don't know why it is getting such a pasting from reviewers. I don't know if the hype on the graphics, or the developers talking about the story more than gameplay has caused many reviewers to round on it out of some kind of twisted principle?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Me and my brother were going back through the campaigns of Gears of War and just recently finished the 3rd game. One thing about them is the weight of the characters and your movement around the levels used to never bother me but having just played TLOU and The Order I really hope they make you more mobile in the next game. It makes me realize just how far we have come since those games in the TPS genre. The Order has pretty much perfected that sense of heavy movement but still giving you the feeling that you have the agility necessary to move around the map easily.

Agreed. Giving the player a dedicated roll and adding in more traversal, which was surprisingly enjoyable in this game, would be a perfect balance of weight and momentum.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member

As someone who enjoyed The Order for 14 hours and would rate it a 9/10, I understand why it wouldn't get high ratings but at the same time, to get 2's, 4's, 5's and 6's while a rushed bug and glitch filled game like Unity gets 7's and 8's, im sorry but it doesn't matter how much re-playability or collectables or side quests, etc. there is in any game if that game is broken and nearly unplayable.

Sorry but all of those reviewers need to seriously look at how they review games. A game that's highly polished, bug and glitch free and controls and plays good should get a 5/10 automatically because quite honestly, it's rare to say the least. Most games are filled with problems at launch and need patch after patch to fix those problems and even then, problems still exist.

The Order isn't perfect but like shinobi said, the game engine has been perfected so now, Ready At Dawn can work on nothing but gameplay since everything else has already been setup and established. As much as im a Ubisoft fanboy, they could use some advice from Ready At Dawn in regards to how to build a proper game engine that actually works instead of being a clusterfuck.

That's my main problem with all the low scores and bad reviews. An excellent playing game that's highly polished with virtually no bugs and glitches, no 8GB patch a month after launch, etc. gets rated lower than a broken and nearly unplayable game. Sorry but that's bullshit.

Back to The Order itself. It's a slow paced story based game with a cinematic presentation and quite honestly, the seamless no loading transition from gameplay to cut scenes and vice versa is quite simply, how EVERY game this generation should be. There should be no more loading, everything should be seamless and look as great The Order does.

The Order is easily the best game of the eighth generation thus far and no, I don't count cross gen games since they're not exclusive to the eight generation of gaming and I for one, can't wait until the sequel and im hoping that The Order turns into a trilogy with the third and final game being released at or near the end of the PS4's life cycle.

Iorv3th

The game was beautiful, well thought out levels, great weapons, satisfying gameplay... And then there's the story.

So much potential. Just felt like it was all wasted due to poor writing to be honest.
what the hell was that ending. You can barely bring yourself to pull the trigger on the jack-off you knew was the villain the whole time? What an utter crap written story. Let's just tease werewolves and vampires the whole time, but we won't really have them do anything of any worth. gees.

I don't get your complaint of the ending.
They have obviously established that the two had a very long time together as knights. Galahad even calls him brother. If you can't see how someone might have mixed emotions about killing someone they have known for hundreds of years...

So the generally consensus, or at the very least hope, is the RAD pull an Uncharted 2 and the next Order will blow everyone's minds?

Im still just baffled at why this game was so harshly reviewed. Those who likened it to Beyond clearly were out of their minds as the QTE make up such a small part of the game. I cannot get over how fantastic the weapons feel as well, Arc Gun? SHIT!

Future

I'm at chapter 9, and unless things go dramatically South, it really isn't noticeably worse than many cinematic games, or standard TPS either. I don't know why it is getting such a pasting from reviewers. I don't know if the hype on the graphics, or the developers talking about the story more than gameplay has caused many reviewers to round on it out of some kind of twisted principle?

What other game interrupts with cut scenes the player as much as the order? What games are this short with limited replay potential? What games have stealth sequences like this? Again, it's not objectively bad and you may not mind these points. But these are the points that brought down reviews as stated specifically in those reviews

Sure, I can understand people wondering how a 2/10 could be possible. But others would wonder how a 9.5/10 would be possible too. The game got reviews with both of those scores and they pretty much equal each other out. Really all that does is emphasize this really is one of the love it or hate it experiences which even this thread confirms as being the case.

Most fall in the 8-6 range with more in the 6s obviously. Just means that most reviewers saw the negatives. Doesn't mean there are no positives or that he negatives won't matter for you (game length for example obviously matters more to some than others)

hydruxo

What other game interrupts with cut scenes the player as much as the order? What games are this short with limited replay potential? What games have stealth sequences like this? Again, it's not objectively bad and you may not mind these points. But these are the points that brought down reviews as stated specifically in those reviews

Sure, I can understand people wondering how a 2/10 could be possible. But others would wonder how a 9.5/10 would be possible too. The game got reviews with both of those scores and they pretty much equal each other out. Really all that does is emphasize this really is one of the love it or hate it experiences which even this thread confirms as being the case.

Most fall in the 8-6 range with more in the 6s obviously. Just means that most reviewers saw the negatives. Doesn't mean there are no positives or that he negatives won't matter for you (game length for example obviously matters more to some than others)

Why are you so bothered by people not agreeing with reviewers?

Most of us just enjoy the game for what it is, even with it's flaws.

Jito

Banned
I don't get your complaint of the ending.
They have obviously established that the two had a very long time together as knights. Galahad even calls him brother. If you can't see how someone might have mixed emotions about killing someone they have known for hundreds of years...

Difference in good and bad storytelling really, either you tell the audience that these two characters are close and they are like brothers (bad storytelling) or you show it through the story and dialogue (good storytelling). At no point during the game until they started calling each other brother did I think Galahad and Lucan were meant to be close.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Also this is the only thing that literally upset me with this game

RTob.jpg

Looks absolutely amazing and never got to fire it once.
I believe that's the
arc-grenade launcher that you fire from the bridge section after you down the enemy that fires at you with it?

hydruxo

I believe that's the
arc-grenade launcher that you fire from the bridge section after you down the enemy that fires at you with it?

I thought that at first too, but it's different. The gun he has in the cutscene doesn't shoot rockets/grenades. It seems like it's a stronger version of the other arc gun.

I'm doing a second binge run this weekend - decided this was a permanent library inclusion.

I can understand how people are so polarized when it comes to this game though. I originally picked it up for a big wedding-party weekend-long get together at my house. During the day though, it was just me and my two closest friends, so I snagged this for something to do while working through a hangover. We got a few chapters in and they hated it. I mean, they were just spewing vehemence at every scene, so there was no point in continuing further on the launch weekend.

That said, we're best buds but we rarely play online games together. One is cap'n CoD and the other thinks Destiny is the greatest thing since sliced bread. They're the hippest cats around, but I find their taste in vidja games to be beyond dirt.

But when you have that needs-online must-have-something-to-unlock attitude, and the games that my friends enjoy also happen to be some of the best selling games in the best selling genres of the industry, and all the reviewers are the same type of people who 9/10 each CoD installment or a content-starved grind-orgy like Destiny... I'm just not surprised.

Reviewers aren't bad people. My best buds aren't bad people. But they're all dumb. They're all sheep. They're 10/10 dudes, but if you put a shit game in front of them and lock 93% of it behind a grind, and make them do the same thing over, and over, and over, ad nauseum - they'll do it... and they'll friggin love it, because for some of those people, that behaviour and mindset is the best source of dopamine. And for other people, well... they look on and think "wtf is wrong with these people?". It's just how we're wired. Some people see dirt, and other people see a facebook-game re-skinned as an FPS as the holy grail of gaming.

End rand.

Side-note on previous poster's comments - the above rant describes at least two individuals in the Giantbomb podcast. (listened to it because of all the GAF-love I see it get... absolutely baffling)

Future

Why are you so bothered by people not agreeing with reviewers?

Most of us just enjoy the game for what it is, even with it's flaws.

Basically my point. The game is flawed. It's ok to admit that and understand mixed / lukewarm reception yet still enjoy it. All the conspiracies as to why this game got such heated response don't exist. It's just a polarizing game

Or am I not allowed to discuss that

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

It does surprises me every time I play it as I see a game that loads very quickly, no major patch released or needed by the game to make it work as it should, and a game that is highly polished all around.

It is clearly a polished labor of love by highly skilled professionals (http://c0de517e.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/why-rendering-in-order-1886-rocks.html?m=1) and it is also a very entertaining experience for me. Really liked Kyle Bosman's review-lite on this week's Final Bosman episode:

Megatron

Huh. Interesting. I never felt that way. I always thought the character was way too clunky and slow in his movements I laughed at the part when
Izzy talks about how fast he is
because I just couldn't see it. And of course running is done by pushing and holding the forward button which I hate and it felt like that often didn't work when I was trying to use it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Huh. Interesting. I never felt that way. I always thought the character was way too clunky and slow in his movements I laughed at the part when
Izzy talks about how fast he is
because I just couldn't see it. And of course running is done by pushing and holding the forward button which I hate and it felt like that often didn't work when I was trying to use it.
You don't have to hold anything to run. You just click. It's a toggle like pretty much every game.

dan2026

What is it about middling exclusive games that brings out the worst in people?

If this game had been multi platform it would be forgotten in days.

Megatron

I'm going to trade this in today and I never used my the knights arsenal dlc I got by pre ordering it at Best Buy. Does anyone want it? Don't PM, just post in here if you do.

What is it about middling exclusive games that brings out the worst in people?

If this game had been multi platform it would be forgotten in days.

Have you even played it?

It definitely wouldn't. Visually this game is an absolute belter. I don't think I have been this impressed with the graphics in a game since since perhaps God of War 3.

I can understand why the game gets mixed reviews. What I don't understand is why similar games with similar issues (and more bugs) got better reviews. QTEs, lot's of dialogue, little to no replay value? Sounds like pretty much every TPS released. I honestly don't see the difference between a game like this and Gears of War and Uncharted. I don't play multiplayer so maybe that's why actually, but the multiplayer modes in those games always felt like a checklist to me anyway. Are we saying the Order would have had much less mixed reviews if the single player campaign was sacrificed a bit for a shoehorned multiplayer mode? Never really understood why multiplayer modes were that enticing in these kinds of games in the way they were implemented.

psychotron

I'm not done yet, but I'm really glad I didn't listen to reviews. The game has some issues, but it's so strong in story and graphics that it really helps overshadow the issues. I'm blown away how I hit continue from the main menu and it instantly loads the level.

I just wish the subtitles were bigger and displayed in the black bar areas. Game makes me feel like my eyes are fucked.

Loudninja

I mean yeah the graphics are fantastic but the gunplay is so good I cant say that enough.

One thing I would like is better melee combat,the Lycan fights makes me want that type of melee.

psychotron

I mean yeah the graphics are fantastic but the gunplay is so good I cant say that enough.

It really is satisfying. The thermite gun is the most fun I've had with a gun in a long time. Looks gorgeous when it ignites too. The hit reactions are excellent, you can shoot hats off enemies and they make such satisfying dying noises.

It really is satisfying. The thermite gun is the most fun I've had with a gun in a long time. Looks gorgeous when it ignites too. The hit reactions are excellent, you can shoot hats off enemies and they make such satisfying dying noises.

Yeah, the creative weapons are really good. I wish we got to use them much more. At least than I have already, I am on Chapter 8.

Handy Fake

You're certainly not Santa Claus.

I love all three games/series but couldn't disagree more. You have far more movement options in Gears of War than either TLoU or The Order. Moving in and out of cover, and utilising wall bounces and cancels create a freedom of movement no other TPS franchise has topped in my opinion.

It creates a real skill-gap.

The cover system is a means of traversal in Gears of War and not just for combat, it's part of the very fabric of the game.

I love all three games/series but couldn't disagree more. You have far more movement options in Gears of War than either TLoU or The Order. Moving in and out of cover, and utilising wall bounces and cancels create a freedom of movement no other TPS franchise has topped in my opinion.

It creates a real skill-gap.

The cover system is a means of traversal in Gears of War and not just for combat, it's part of the very fabric of the game.

They really do move like tanks. It gives a sense of weight, but also feels cumbersome. To be honest, I prefer more mobility. They felt a bit like slow meatbags to me. I can see what you are saying tough. I was never a hardcore player of the series.

Drewfonse

On chapter 11 on my first play through. I went from liking it to loving it. Hopefully it doesn't fall apart later.

Someone patch in the Jennifer Lawrence "ok" gif in response to the post above that implies limited appeal of the order but universal appeal of uncharted.

Le nope.

Top Bottom