• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

PaulloDEC

Just started playing this today. First thing I've really been struck by is how much quicker and more responsive Grayson controls than I was expecting. I was really impressed at how easy he is to move around obstacles and whatnot, and an early scene where you're chasing someone through the streets played like a dream.

Because...it's very good game.
I started 2nd playthrough few days ago. I love this atmosphere, old London and all this steampunk setting.

Yeah. Same here. It may be for many "the Walking dead" of shooter's (in a good way), but as i liked TWD i'd never play that again. The Order, on the other way, pulls me to start another playthrough. Good that i made a platinum, now i can enjoy it without being distracted by those annoying trophies :)

Binabik15

Goddamn, this game price has dropped to $50 on Amazon. Definitely not a good sign :(

Opposite problem here, before launch it was sold for 55€ on ebay by an actual store, now it's the usual 65-70€ or used for 50+. Bummer, I want it, now that I have my semester break, but I won't pay full price for any game.

Pimpbaa

What a disappointment. Never played a game this short that had so much filler. Too much walking around slowly or injured, terrible stealth sections, and recycled battles oh and unskippable cutscenes (inexcusable). On top of that the actual gameplay does absolutely nothing to differentiate itself from other cover based shooters. I kept wanting to play through TLOU for the third time rather than slog through this game. Such a shame too, because the setting of this game is awesome, as is the engine the game runs on. Hopefully next time they put more focus on the the gameplay.

Technically this is the most polished game this gen to me without a shadow of a doubt. Loading from the main menu is so incredibly fast as well. Visually, this is a landmark title.

Conduit

Banned
What a disappointment. Never played a game this short that had so much filler. Too much walking around slowly or injured, terrible stealth sections, and recycled battles oh and unskippable cutscenes (inexcusable). On top of that the actual gameplay does absolutely nothing to differentiate itself from other cover based shooters. I kept wanting to play through TLOU for the third time rather than slog through this game. Such a shame too, because the setting of this game is awesome, as is the engine the game runs on. Hopefully next time they put more focus on the the gameplay.

Why you want to skip cutscene in first playtrough?

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I think this game has genuine issues. The reviews do an excellent job highlighting them. I'm glad people have enjoyed it but I am also just quiet shocked people seem happy to have a game like this released on 2015. So little content and no real re play value. I have no issue with the games length. I think an amazing experience can be any length. My issue is the blatant flaws with the story, script and repeated gameplay sections/mechanics. Nothing much to the package at all for the money it costs. I can understand people enjoying the experience of the campaign if they are into that but I can't believe the amount of hoping for a sequel. This game seems to not wrap up well And leaves a lot to be desired. Which sets off alarm bells for me. I hope Sony uses the funds somewhere else. To think people are upset with a 65 for this game worries me too.

anothertech

The game was beautiful, well thought out levels, great weapons, satisfying gameplay... And then there's the story.

So much potential. Just felt like it was all wasted due to poor writing to be honest.
what the hell was that ending. You can barely bring yourself to pull the trigger on the jack-off you knew was the villain the whole time? What an utter crap written story. Let's just tease werewolves and vampires the whole time, but we won't really have them do anything of any worth. gees.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The feels at the
crystal palace crash scene. The music, crystal palace burning in the background, and the slow turning propellor all make for a great scene.
. I also thought it was a nice reference to
crystal palace actually burning down in reality.

So far I'm still liking it a lot. Pacing seems fine. Slightly concerned if it all falls off a cliff now, but let's see.

Spades

Should "lack of content" be a valid review tool? If the game is good it's fucking good.

Of course.

Game A costs $60, is beautiful, plays well and contains a lot of content.
Game B costs $60, is beautiful, plays well but does not have a lot of content.

It shouldn't be judged on its own, but plays an important part of an overall review. I hear many people say that cost shouldn't be considered, but of course it should.

Maybe if the game was $40, then the lack of content (by comparison to other AAA titles) wouldn't be such a big deal, I guess.

jacobeid

Banned
I beat the game last night even though I already had the platinum. Thoroughly enjoyed the second time through as much as the first.

hohoXD123

Of course.

It shouldn't be judged on its own, but plays an important part of an overall review. I hear many people say that cost shouldn't be considered, but of course it should.

Maybe if the game was $40, then the lack of content (by comparison to other AAA titles) wouldn't be such a big deal, I guess.

After a few months when the price has become a fraction of what it is now, the review will be fairly misleading to average Joe if "value" was an important deciding factor for the score. Not saying it shouldn't be mentioned at all though.

OsirisBlack

Banned
I think this game has genuine issues. The reviews do an excellent job highlighting them. I'm glad people have enjoyed it but I am also just quiet shocked people seem happy to have a game like this released on 2015. So little content and no real re play value. I have no issue with the games length. I think an amazing experience can be any length. My issue is the blatant flaws with the story, script and repeated gameplay sections/mechanics. Nothing much to the package at all for the money it costs. I can understand people enjoying the experience of the campaign if they are into that but I can't believe the amount of hoping for a sequel. This game seems to not wrap up well And leaves a lot to be desired. Which sets off alarm bells for me. I hope Sony uses the funds somewhere else. To think people are upset with a 65 for this game worries me too.

You're shocked people are happy with a very polished and fun game that is just about bug free and didn't need a 10GB day one patch or have all kinds of dlc or micro transactions everywhere? Liking the script is very subjective as it is with any story personally I quite enjoyed it even if it was a bit predictable. The only thing that threw me was the whole lord Hastings being a
Elder Vampire
bit and only because his ass was always roaming around outside during the day. Unless sales are absolutely horrid a sequel is probably inevitable and this is probably going to be a new franchise for Sony. In regards to the 65 meta Opinions and all, I just know not to trust any reviewer who scored this game lower than a 7 because we obviously do not have similar tastes.

Kagutaba

Grimløck;154026818 said:
have you played through it?

Why do you ask? His issues seems on point and in line with the reviews and the criticism voiced in this thread:

I think this game has genuine issues. The reviews do an excellent job highlighting them... I have no issue with the games length. I think an amazing experience can be any length. My issue is the blatant flaws with the story, script and repeated gameplay sections/mechanics.

Why wouldn't want people want a sequel if they enjoyed it? Sequels usually fix the problems of the first game while adding new things, becoming great(most of the time).

All this "worry". Would you say you are...concerned? I mean, why does it matter to you if people enjoy it and want more? Why do you think Sony shouldn't fund a sequel? So much worrying, yet you probably haven't even played it.

Of course.

The whole idea of value is extremely fickle and highly subjective. What is of high value to you might not be of high value to me and vice versa.
Then you also run into that once the game gets cheaper, the game then becomes better according to the reviews, which would be weird since cost really doesn't have any affect on the quality of the product.

The fact that the game is shorter and doesn't have so much to do might increase the value for some, since they actually might have the time to finish a game for once. So to simply dock points because
the game has "this much content" is weird to me. The better way to do it would be to look at how the game uses the content it has and if it is as long as it needs to be, for example. I really don't subscribe to the dollars/hour mindset.

But I guess that could depend on what you view what reviews are for. If they are purchase guides or opinion pieces on media.

hohoXD123

This is now the go to defense for The Order, sad really that you couldn't argue (discuss) the merits of the game without resorting to that.

Well a couple of days ago he posted this:

I think it's crazy to read the impressions in here then listen to something like the giantbombcast and hear Jeff and Dans feelings towards it. Totally opposite. I trust Dan a lot. Has similar taste to me. He has put me off it a lot. Still want to walk around like one act just to see the graphics. The rest sounds awful to me. Rehashed mechanics etc. Such a shame of what games we have had in this 3rd person action genre and to get this. By the sounds of it. Beautiful looker tho

So I don't think it's ridiculous to ask if he has actually played the game before he says something like he can't believe the amount of people hoping for a sequel, reading impressions and reviews can only tell you so much.

d9b

Banned
Well a couple of days ago he posted this:

"Originally Posted by JAYSIMPLE :
I think it's crazy to read the impressions in here then listen to something like the giantbombcast and hear Jeff and Dans feelings towards it. Totally opposite. I trust Dan a lot. Has similar taste to me. He has put me off it a lot. Still want to walk around like one act just to see the graphics. The rest sounds awful to me. Rehashed mechanics etc. Such a shame of what games we have had in this 3rd person action genre and to get this. By the sounds of it. Beautiful looker tho."

So I don't think it's ridiculous to ask if he has actually played the game before he says something like he can't believe the amount of people hoping for a sequel, reading impressions and reviews can only tell you so much.

Trophy unlocked:

Pl3ESpZ.jpg

;)

Hagi

So I just finished this, can't say I enjoyed the whole experience to be honest. It's a pretty half baked affair. While undoubtedly it looks amazing that does absolutely nothing for me if the core experience isn't fun to play.

The atmosphere and setting is fantastic but they do little with it in my eyes. The story started off well but after crystal palace it sharply tapered off into stupidity. The lycans are probably the biggest disappointment for enemies I can recall. Not a single encounter was well thought out, their whole existence in this game is terrible. Then they introduce
Vampires out of nowhere and do nothing with them
just continue to rely on human enemies.

If they do a sequel I hope they add some much needed depth to the combat and either go big or go home when it comes to the monster encounters otherwise there's zero chance I'll be buying it. They had such a good concept and setting but ultimately shat the bed.

I think it's crazy to read the impressions in here then listen to something like the giantbombcast and hear Jeff and Dans feelings towards it. Totally opposite. I trust Dan a lot. Has similar taste to me. He has put me off it a lot. Still want to walk around like one act just to see the graphics. The rest sounds awful to me. Rehashed mechanics etc. Such a shame of what games we have had in this 3rd person action genre and to get this. By the sounds of it. Beautiful looker tho
I've never given Giantbomb the time of day again after listening to them several times in the past. I think I've enjoyed almost every single game they've received negatively, so the only obvious conclusion to me is they're all jaded as fuck.

In fact this particular game was a semi-tipping point for me regarding reviewer impressions on games. I mean many critics made it sound like the game is just a dreadful experience and after finishing it, it was one of the best I've played in the last year. I'm going to have to really analyze what critics say from here on out. I've never based my purchasing decision on them but they did hold weight at least in terms of hands on impressions. Not anymore.

carlsojo

Finished up last night! For me the game really started to pick up and get good at the
bridge
level. I honestly can't remember much before that level, other than the
airship, which was pretty great.
It kept pretty good pacing after that, but damn if I wasn't disappointed by the last level.
Running around in a bunch of tunnels and then a big shoot out in a relatively small room underground was pretty anticlimactic in a game with such amazing visuals. The "fight" with Lucan was pretty much the same as the one in the hospital, so that was disappointing.

Game was alright, not sure if I'll trade it in yet.

HORRORSHØW

This is now the go to defense for The Order, sad really that you couldn't argue (discuss) the merits of the game without resorting to that.
what? can you not read my other post that explicitly said i have no qualms with his criticisms because i share them too? what a fucking joke.

I've never given Giantbomb the time of day again after listening to them several times in the past. I think I've enjoyed almost every single game they've received negatively, so the only obvious conclusion to me is they're all jaded as fuck.

In fact this particular game was a semi-tipping point for me regarding reviewer impressions on games. I mean many critics made it sound like the game is just a dreadful experience and after finishing it, it was one of the best I've played in the last year. I'm going to have to really analyze what critics say from here on out. I've never based my purchasing decision on them but they did hold weight at least in terms of hands on impressions. Not anymore.

Completely agree. They are entertaining personalities that offer absolutely nothing when it comes to a critical take on the genre. They are jaded, old and I don't think they enjoy their jobs at all. The last GOTY podcasts I have listened by them I swear you can hear them almost lamenting having to do it. When they finally do get to the point that they have narrowed something down to a choice none of them really care at all about it. I get it you guys think games are intrinsically boring at this stage in your lives but you can't walk away from the success you created.

OsirisBlack

Banned

^^ this so much.

NIGHT-

OMade it to chapter 11. I'll give my impressions so far. The graphics are out of this world, especially
the air fortress
chapter. The gun play is solid, I do wish there was a bit more variety of weapons and grenades, but what's here feels good. The A.I. is quite bad and even on hard this game feels really easily, but I just got done finishing TLOU on hard, which felt a lot more challenging. I absolutely hate the stealth sections, they would be done better without automatic deaths and the QTE bits pull you out of the game. I'm loving the story and and voice acting a lot more than I thought I would. The introduction to
vampires
got me pumped up! Overall this game is somewhere between a 7-8 for me and can't wait to finish it tonight, after work.

I am actually glad that the reviews urged caution in buying it. I am much happier renting it for $8 or so for two days than spending $40 or so with GCU.

I can put that money forward to March for FF Type 0 and Bloodborne. I don't have unlimited entertainment budget.

I do actually understand the complaints and agree with most of them. But it is a fun romp and really nice to look at, just like I said, it'ls about a weekend worth of fun, and that's it.

I think a 6 or so for this game is fair. would have easily jumped to 8 if there was a mercenaries or challenge mode that let you explore the gameplay in non-story scenarios.

nib95

Banned
I think they should add a horde mode or some sort of combat arena type mode in the game with DLC (ideally free). Just something that gives us longer scenarios for testing, experimenting with and enjoying the combat/gunplay, which is actually one of the games strongest elements. Honestly wish there was more combat scenario's in the game, which is not something I often say with TPS lol.

I don't really get this sentiment - if you've learned that jeff's opinions or brad's opinions don't gel with yours, why get worked up about their reviews?

Reviews are not objective, they are opinions. If you don't agree with someone's opinion, that's fine. GiantBomb staff are not saying "you're an idiot if you like this game" or anything of the sort. They have evaluated the title and they advise against a purchase.

Jeff did me right by warning against this game and driveclub. I generally tend to agree with their opinions, all the way down to hating demons/dark souls but eventually coming around to it and loving it.

Hagi

Why do you need the gaming press to be in sync with your opinions? It's okay for them not to like something and you to have a completely opposite viewpoint and vice versa. I don't know why there has to be a constant pushback in this industry when it comes to reviews and opinions.

Stop holding journalists opinions so high and there will be less to complain about.

I think they should add a horde mode or some sort of combat arena type mode in the game with DLC (ideally free). Just something that gives us longer scenarios for testing, experimenting with and enjoying the combat/gunplay, which is actually one of the games strongest elements. Honestly wish there was more combat scenario's in the game, which is not something I often say with TPS lol.

YES! this would solve all my complaints about the game. Basically do what RE4 did and have a post game mercenaries score based mode.

They could even reuse assets and environments, thats fine. Or just make up little snippets of story about "the order fought off the lycan menace in 1875 at the market because blah blah blah" and do some cheap and easy fleshing out of the history.

Hustler

So glad I didn't listen to the reviewers and kept my preorder. This game is like uncharted, even after unlocking all the trophies, I know I'll want to replay this game in a few months. Can't wait to see what they do with a sequel!

Why do you need the gaming press to be in sync with your opinions? It's okay for them not to like something and you to have a completely opposite viewpoint and vice versa. I don't know why there has to be a constant pushback in this industry when it comes to reviews and opinions.

Like honestly - if you were talking to say a friend of yours from work who has a PS4 but mostly just plays FIFA and Destiny, would you honestly tell that person to buy the order?

Maybe they buy 3-4 games a year. Should the order be one of those games?

I think you'd really have to be stretching to say yes.

Hagi

Personally I'd like some DLC that goes back in time to the start of this conflict. Crossbows and swords in medieval times please.

Like honestly - if you were talking to say a friend of yours from work who has a PS4 but mostly just plays FIFA and Destiny, would you honestly tell that person to buy the order?

Maybe they buy 3-4 games a year. Should the order be one of those games?

I think you'd really have to be stretching to say yes.

I'd give them my copy. :p

People like different things just because I didn't care for this doesn't mean one of my friends might not. Fuck I'm pretty confident my brother will enjoy this. So to answer your question I'd tell them my experience and let them make up their own mind.

I don't really get this sentiment - if you've learned that jeff's opinions or brad's opinions don't gel with yours, why get worked up about their reviews?

Reviews are not subjective, they are opinions. If you don't agree with someone's opinion, that's fine. GiantBomb staff are not saying "you're an idiot if you like this game" or anything of the sort. They have evaluated the title and they advise against a purchase.

Jeff did me right by warning against this game and driveclub. I generally tend to agree with their opinions, all the way down to hating demons/dark souls but eventually coming around to it and loving it.

Hahaha. An opinion is not subjective now...?

Completely agree. They are entertaining personalities that offer absolutely nothing when it comes to a critical take on the genre. They are jaded, old and I don't think they enjoy their jobs at all. The last GOTY podcasts I have listened by them I swear you can hear them almost lamenting having to do it. When they finally do get to the point that they have narrowed something down to a choice none of them really care at all about it. I get it you guys think games are intrinsically boring at this stage in your lives but you can't walk away from the success you created.

:)

i've always thought that being forced to play a large number of games that i personally had no real interest in playing sounded more like a version of hell than a job. i can't really see how it wouldn't greatly impact on someone's ability to enjoy playing games, & eventually sour someone on gaming completely...

So glad I didn't listen to the reviewers and kept my preorder. This game is like uncharted, even after unlocking all the trophies, I know I'll want to replay this game in a few months. Can't wait to see what they do with a sequel!

By that time the game will be $30 and used copies flooding the market.

Reviews are not subjective, they are opinions. If you don't agree with someone's opinion, that's fine. GiantBomb staff are not saying "you're an idiot if you like this game" or anything of the sort. They have evaluated the title and they advise against a purchase.

Lol, oh I'm not worked up at all, I was just replying to the other poster. I haven't really talked about or thought about Giantbomb for well over a year now.

I wasn't saying that they were implying that at all, I was simply stating that for me, reviewers are becoming far more irrelevant in terms of objective opinions than ever before. Again that's just the way I personally see it. I'm not saying they're wrong, or calling anyone dumb, only that this game has shown me that I can no longer take critic impressions too seriously anymore as things I generally view as fun aren't seen as such by a large amount of the gaming media.

And I don't have a problem with that at all, it's fine by me :)

Top Bottom