• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

I love all three games/series but couldn't disagree more. You have far more movement options in Gears of War than either TLoU or The Order. Moving in and out of cover, and utilising wall bounces and cancels create a freedom of movement no other TPS franchise has topped in my opinion.

It creates a real skill-gap.

The cover system is a means of traversal in Gears of War and not just for combat, it's part of the very fabric of the game.

100% agree. The movement in Gears was/is smoother and more precise than any other TPS I've played. Both TLoU and TO are pretty clunky in comparison imo.

Me and my brother were going back through the campaigns of Gears of War and just recently finished the 3rd game. One thing about them is the weight of the characters and your movement around the levels used to never bother me but having just played TLOU and The Order I really hope they make you more mobile in the next game. It makes me realize just how far we have come since those games in the TPS genre. The Order has pretty much perfected that sense of heavy movement but still giving you the feeling that you have the agility necessary to move around the map easily.

Yes. There is a huge amount of depth in the movement and cover mechanics of gears that no other third person series understands. There's no depth in the mechanics of the order.

People who criticize gears dont understand how much skill there is in that game's movement and strategy.

They really do move like tanks. It gives a sense of weight, but also feels cumbersome. To be honest, I prefer more mobility. They felt a bit like slow meatbags to me. I can see what you are saying tough. I was never a hardcore player of the series.

There is so much depth in the movement mechanics of gears of war. Looking at the way top players play is so different.

This is one example of why people feel the game is shallow and does what it does well but just doesn't do much.
http://youtu.be/eiYS7LP84h4

I absolutely have no problem with people coming in here and giving a negative opinion on the game, I respect their opinion. But when you come in here and start saying that you can't believe people like this game and that it worries you that others want a sequel that shit is straight up dumb. You don't have to like the game, no one is forcing you to and frankly no one really cares if you do or not, but don't act as though you're better than anyone else because they enjoy different things then you, it's just annoying as all hell.

Finished it last night. I hope we get a sequel.

Favorite characters were Lafayette and Lady Igraine. Really grew on my over the course of the game and kind of cared greatly for both and the lead by the end. Also liked the leader of the Order too. So much interesting potential for characters to grow in a continuation.

Termite was my favorite weapon, but I also liked that pistol that took two cartridges. IN terms of shooters it was one that made me enjoy running around and switching positions to shoot. Other games I just camp and wait for each wave after wave to end, and I also usually stick to the default in those games. This one I would keep switching. It was fun.

Airship chapters were my favorites in the game. Game is so good in the daylight or inside sections. The dark moments or other catacombs and underground areas always felt too been there done that.

I really enjoyed the game. The graphics have no peer and I like the setting/story. I hope it does get a sequel with coop atleast to make it more replayable. I rented it but wouldn't be mad if I had paid full price for it.

I actually feel The Order has a really solid cover system. It doesn't have the mechanical complexity of Gears of War but it's definitely a step up from The Last of Us and Uncharted, and works well within the game Ready at Dawn have created.

Cloudy

Banned
I honestly don't see the difference between a game like this and Gears of War and Uncharted.

I haven't really played GOW but I've played all the Uncharted games. The Order with mindless enemy swarms and more set-pieces could be an Uncharted game.

It has flaws but is an 8/10 at worst IMO

There is so much depth in the movement mechanics of gears of war. Looking at the way top players play is so different.

This is one example of why people feel the game is shallow and does what it does well but just doesn't do much.

Ugh, this video is painful to watch and points out exactly my problems I have with the Gears series and it's clunky, almost binary feeling movement. Slow and magnetic movements.

I'm really not a fan of that game's mechanics. The Order still has some improvement to do, but the movement feels great (even better than TLOU). Uncharted is still my favorite TPS though, mainly due to the agility of the platforming and movement in general.

Oh my. If everyone played like that?.... no thanks. I can appreciate the skill that may take but thats too much for me. If I was playing against people like that I would rage quit in an instant.

Harmen

Of course.

Game A costs $60, is beautiful, plays well and contains a lot of content.
Game B costs $60, is beautiful, plays well but does not have a lot of content.

It shouldn't be judged on its own, but plays an important part of an overall review. I hear many people say that cost shouldn't be considered, but of course it should.

Maybe if the game was $40, then the lack of content (by comparison to other AAA titles) wouldn't be such a big deal, I guess.

The majority of the timeframe the title is sold in stores will have a much lower pricepoint than that. I agree reviewers should mention it and give their opinion on replay value/extra's. And I agree this seems pretty short on content. But if a dollar/hour ratio matters that much to one's grade, one could argue that a grade could be raised when the price drops.

As cool as that is to see, I think its pretty obvious that it's not intentional "depth", but pretty much a full exploitation of the cover systems' magnetism quirks etc.

Edit:

Exploits aren't depth

Gestault

Me and my brother were going back through the campaigns of Gears of War and just recently finished the 3rd game. One thing about them is the weight of the characters and your movement around the levels used to never bother me but having just played TLOU and The Order I really hope they make you more mobile in the next game. It makes me realize just how far we have come since those games in the TPS genre. The Order has pretty much perfected that sense of heavy movement but still giving you the feeling that you have the agility necessary to move around the map easily.

This is anything but a "those games are toilets" comment, but at least with a comparison between TLOU and the Gears series, I can't really agree about the movement and shooting feeling better than Gears. I think the skill gap that exists within the movement system of Gears sort of speaks for itself in that regard. There are really very few third-person games that have shooting/movement mechanics handled as well as Gears, and it's why so many still use it as a metric when discussing newer releases. If anything, I've heard that TLOU has more successfully implemented combat mechanics than the Order (admittedly in part on account of how the environment design meshes with the AI).

I love all three games/series but couldn't disagree more. You have far more movement options in Gears of War than either TLoU or The Order. Moving in and out of cover, and utilising wall bounces and cancels create a freedom of movement no other TPS franchise has topped in my opinion.

It creates a real skill-gap.

The cover system is a means of traversal in Gears of War and not just for combat, it's part of the very fabric of the game.

I completely agree with that but it definitely feels cumbersome. You could almost say that about any game though even if it was one where you were literally using tanks. Its just jarring going back to it when especially in TLOU you can pretty much handle any situation that arises be it guys flanking, rushing or surrounding you from cover and that is more impressive to me than what Gears is doing.

Lordy that is a terrible example. That looks even worse than what I was saying and I just finished playing the games.

This is anything but a "those games are toilets" comment, but at least with a comparison between TLOU and the Gears series, I can't really agree about the movement and shooting feeling better than Gears. I think the skill gap that exists within the movement system of Gears sort of speaks for itself in that regard. There are really very few third-person games that have shooting/movement mechanics handled as well as Gears, and it's why so many still use it as a metric when discussing newer releases. If anything, I've heard that TLOU has more successfully implemented combat mechanics than the Order (admittedly in part on account of how the environment design meshes with the AI).

TLOU is the best realization of UC merged with Gears there is imo. I don't want to sound like I dislike Gears combat I absolutely love it but it is jarring going back to it once you have gotten used to something more freeform.

hydruxo

The shooting in Gears is great, but the wall bouncing is a good example of why the movement in Gears is not good. It's not a skill gap. When you need to use an exploit to get around the map, then the way the characters move is too slow.

Oni Jazar

I think I'm around chapter 10 and I'm really enjoying the game a lot. I can't praise the graphics, setting, sound design, art, and voice acting enough. They are all excellent.

It's interesting to hear people complain about the walking sections. I love them. Gives me a chance to get a close look at all that the environment has to show. So far I find the story to be quite interesting as well. I'd rather be playing the Order than any of the Gears games.

RAD should be very proud at what they have achieved.

Gestault

Tell that to people that play Super Smash Bros Melee or Halo 2 competitively. Whats possible in the game, intended or not, adds to depth. Pretty foolish or naive to say otherwise.

Or even more to the point, you can disregard system exploits and still look at the "standard" mechanics and think they're particularly well handled.

The best part of this clip is it literally looks like your moving a real tank around the battlefield. Even the way you line up shots is so mechanical. Forward roll shotgun for the win baby.

Gestault

TLOU is the best realization of UC merged with Gears there is imo. I don't want to sound like I dislike Gears combat I absolutely love it but it is jarring going back to it once you have gotten used to something more freeform.

TLOU multiplayer proved how solid its mechanics were. I'm someone who wasn't especially impressed with the mechanics in the Uncharted series, and TLOU showed how a few subtle tweaks could improve that, given its own context.

MormaPope

Banned
Or even more to the point, you can disregard system exploits and still look at the "standard" mechanics and think they're particularly well handled.

Yup. I never wall bounced in Gears 3 to get my shotgun kills, my KD after playing for a long ass time (100+ hours) is 1.9, which is pretty decent for Gears.

^^ that gears vid is an extreme example. Only really proficient players can pull off movement like that and you have to use the alternate control scheme. Its not an exploit at all, its called wall bouncing. You can take out guys like that, its not too hard. Those are just clips where it worked out for him. It really is a deep system.
Its works great for cover based games like some TPS. Wall bouncing is the product of cover cancelling, you need that flexability, especially in MP, for many many things. That flexability to cancel your cover slide adds alot. The cover slide in itself is essential, it gets you to cover quicker. Its a great system. No other TPS gets it like gears.
This flexability is crucial for MP to work great. The Order feels okay, it has no MP so you won't really miss the flexibilty that gears has.

Just finished the game and had an absolute blast with it. While short it totally delivered in my opinion and completely ending on a note that allows the next game to start from a familiar but different narrative point.

This shouldn't be considered a spoiler but if you complete the game make sure you stick around half way through the credits like any great movie there is a scene mid way through.

Good thing I don't play any of those games competitively because that shit looks cheap and frustrating to someone like me, exploit or not, that just looks like a mess.

Frillen

Lol at that Gears video. I do generally agree though, Gears has much better and more fluid movement than The Order.
Then again, nothing really beats Gears in that area.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Tell that to people that play Super Smash Bros Melee or Halo 2 competitively. Whats possible in the game, intended or not, adds to depth. Pretty foolish or naive to say otherwise.

I have. Playing using exploits and saying that it's a "skill gap" is just them making themselves feel superior for cheating.

MormaPope

Banned
Good thing I don't play any of those games competitively because that shit looks cheap and frustrating to someone like me, exploit or not, that just looks like a mess.

If you're playing something competitively, you don't think about "cheap" and "frustrating" mechanics or design, you play to win, you use everything at your disposal, that's what a competition is.

I have. Playing using exploits and saying that it's a "skill gap" is just them making themselves feel superior for cheating.

Cheating in a videogame is altering the code for your own betterment, utilizing what the code is without changing it isn't cheating. There is a gigantic skill gap between casual and competitive Smash Melee players, saying there isn't is completely ridiculous. They have to learn and change the way they play the game, to get new skills.

I completely agree with that but it definitely feels cumbersome. You could almost say that about any game though even if it was one where you were literally using tanks. Its just jarring going back to it when especially in TLOU you can pretty much handle any situation that arises be it guys flanking, rushing or surrounding you from cover and that is more impressive to me than what Gears is doing.

I'm very much of the opinion that Gears of War, The Last of Us and Uncharted are all striving to achieve different goals.

The former is a hardcore shooter in which the melee is considered a last resort and it's core complexity comes from mastering its movement systems and weaponry.

The Last of Us and Uncharted meld third-person shooter gameplay, traversal, stealth and a variety of other gameplay styles. Crafting and verticality are integral components in each title.

As you rightfully say, TLoU sits between both Gears of War and Uncharted in terms of feel, but does not in any way attempt to replicate a hardcore shooter.

Gears of War is a single-minded franchise and I adore it for that.

Edit: Just to clear up some nonsense surrounding wall-bouncing in Gears of War; Epic built it into the third game to improve movement and give players more freedom.

It is not an exploit.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Very few people play like the guy in the video. Movement just feel more fluid and smooth overall. You should try one of the gears games.

I always thought it felt awkward since the A button does so much that it feels unresponsive or results in unintended actions. Not intuitive or smooth to transition at all.

Frillen

I always thought it felt awkward since the A button does so much that it feels unresponsive or results in unintended actions. Not intuitive or smooth to transition at all.
You obviously haven't played enough or learned how to properly use the control system in Gears. Once you learn it, it's nothing like it when it comes to smoothness.

If you're playing something competitively, you don't think about "cheap" and "frustrating" mechanics or design, you play to win, you use everything at your disposal, that's what a competition is.
Thats why its a good thing I dont play competitively, that just doesnt look like fun. And if someone were to play like that in a normal playing field (not competitively/pro), I would consider that cheating/being cheap.

There's the alt control scheme. A is only for cover, that's how the guy in the gears vid up top pulls it off without accidently rolling.

Is that in Gears 3? I've only played the first two.

Its in Gears3 for sure. IDK if the other gears had them, i never really used it, I only tried it out once and went back to what I was already comfortable with.

Thats why its a good thing I dont play competitively, that just doesnt look like fun. And if someone were to pkay like that in a normal playing field (not competitively), I would consider that cheating.

But that really doesn't work that well. Its not hard to kill people like that. Well he will probably run over any noobs. Any gears veteran will run over any noobs really. But all that bouncing only works well on people who don't have good aim with the shotgun, after getting a grip on the shotgun, they aren't hard to shoot. Or just step back and pull out your rifle, gears lets you carry a rifle, shotgun, and pistol. Competetive play is more campy, less Rambo, so this rarely happens there.

Gestault

This is at odds with my experiences and frankly, the experiences of most of the industry. If the single-most used movement function of a game acted as you described, do you think it could be as highly regarded as it is?

Hmm. As usual people miss the point with their one sentence responses.

Those mechanics are in the game on purpose.

I dont think the order should be a copy of gears of war but it would be nice I'd there was some kind of depth or skill to be mastered in the game or in a different mode the game could have offered.

As is the game has as much depth as a kiddie pool and is fun for just about as long.

MormaPope

Banned
Thats why its a good thing I dont play competitively, that just doesnt look like fun. And if someone were to play like that in a normal playing field (not competitively/pro), I would consider that cheating.

Being good at a game is cheating?

Dude, someone developing a skillset using the game's own mechanics and code isn't cheating. If someone starts a infinite combo on me in a fighting game, it was my fault for getting hit in the first place/enabling them to do that shit. I don't call them cheaters, doing that is some sore loser shit.

Hmm. As usual people miss the point with their one sentence responses.

Those mechanics are in the game on purpose.

I dont think the order should be a copy of gears of war but it would be nice I'd there was some kind of depth or skill to be mastered in the game or in a different mode the game could have offered.

As is the game has as much depth as a kiddie pool and is fun for just about as long.
A roll option would be a good start.

Being good at a game is cheating?

Dude, someone developing a skillset using the game's own mechanics and code isn't cheating. If someone starts a infinite combo on me in a fighting game, it was my fault for getting hit in the first place/enabling them to do that shit. I don't call them cheaters, doing that is some sore loser shit.
Guess I'm a sore loser then.

I like when the mechanics are only so deep that there is more of a level playing field. I dont think everyone should have to learn an exploit like the one in that video to be considered good at something.

Thats a flaw in game design being exploited. Take that away and if you can still own, then you are skilled, not cheap.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is at odds with my experiences and frankly, the experiences of most of the industry. If the single-most used movement function of a game acted as you described, do you think it could be as highly regarded as it is?

I wasn't saying that it was everyone's experience, just my own and why I prefer pretty much any other TPS control/movement set up.

Top Bottom