• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Ooccoo

So I just finished the game and my god it was AWFUL. Honestly I wasn't expecting much since the reviews were pretty bad but come on Ready at Dawn. I think it took me 5-6 hours to complete it. As someone who doesn't care much for trophies at all that leaves absolutely nothing else to do in the game.

My biggest problem with The Order is just how boring it is. The encounters really don't feel interesting at all and the QTEs don't add much. It seems like enemies don't feel your bullets unless it's a shotgun blast or a tesla laser. The A.I. is subpar and the progression is extremely linear. There are whole chapters where you do NOTHING but watch cutscenes.

On the bright side, the game looks STUNNING. Unbelievable environments, great shadows and lots of polish. In one scene I actually thought I was in a movie because it looked THAT good. But that's about the only redeeming factor about The Order: its graphics. It fails hard as a game by not offering much. No costumes to unlock, no grade, crappy files to find, no extra mode, zilch. For $69.99 CAD this is a real joke.

I advise everyone to rent this. These devs spent years making a game that can be completed in one short sitting with nothing else to do than complete the campaign. The story won't keep you engaged either even if the conclusion leads to a possible sequel. In fact I'd go as far as to say The Order is another textbook example of everything that is wrong in today's industry: short games with no added value where all the efforts go into graphics. But when I'm paying so much for a game, I'm expecting content, something The Order does not have.

Gestault

I wasn't saying that it was everyone's experience, just my own and why I prefer pretty much any other TPS control/movement set up.

Fair enough, though when you say a control function is unresponsive or has inconsistent results, it's claiming something more specific than your own taste.

I'm on the airship now and am l'm liking the game a lot. From the reviews I was expecting a LOT less "gameplay" than what I am seeing. I guess going in with lower expectations in that regard helped me.

I have a question though. I'm having a hard time reading a lot of the text on documents you find and I have a 55 inch 4k sony tv.

I wish you could bring up a regular text transcript of what's on the page.

Am I missing anything significant if I can't read all of the articles on the newspapers for instance?

deathday

Neo Member
There is so much depth in the movement mechanics of gears of war. Looking at the way top players play is so different.

This is one example of why people feel the game is shallow and does what it does well but just doesn't do much.
http://youtu.be/eiYS7LP84h4

Wow! I never learned to wall bounce like that. I switched my controls to the alt scheme in order to try wall bouncing in Gears 2 but I didn't think anybody could do that in Gears 3.

Finished it and really enjoyed it. Best atmosphere, graphics, art style of the generation yet I can pretty easily say.

Gameplay was fun I thought, pretty tight overall though the cover system needs improvement and the roll mechanic was janky, the shooting was on point...very impactful, viceral combat. The AI was good, the qtes good too. Boss battles were only OK.

The story was interesting, well acted though a little rushed and left too many things open. Also the camera "fades" in the scene where
galahad was on trial
were horrible. Stick to traditional cuts please.

Overall really fun with clear room to improve! I really am looking forward to an improved sequel.

7.5/10

Impressed with the visuals and voice acting but the rest is just meh. There is a potentially great game here, if it manages to get a sequel I hope it's the gameplay that prioritises over everything else. Infamous Second Son is still the best PS4 exclusive to date for me.

bombshell

I'm on the airship now and am l'm liking the game a lot. From the reviews I was expecting a LOT less "gameplay" than what I am seeing. I guess going in with lower expectations in that regard helped me.

I have a question though. I'm having a hard time reading a lot of the text on documents you find and I have a 55 inch 4k sony tv.

Am I missing anything significant if I can't read all of the articles on the newspapers for instance?

Only the main headline story of the newspapers can be read.

There is so much depth in the movement mechanics of gears of war. Looking at the way top players play is so different.

This is one example of why people feel the game is shallow and does what it does well but just doesn't do much.
I feel dizzy after watching this lol.

And imo, movement mechanics in this game are pretty good. They are responsive, efficient and functioning that I myself don't find many problems in character's agility. However, I hope RaD will change and redo the vaulting animation of Galahad. There's been countless times I almost die when I try to hop over the cover. Galahad is way too slow when doing that action :( So, instead of finding a new cover, I become a hot target for enemies to shoot. Personally animation of vaulting over a cover in Watchdogs looks pretty cool for me and I wonder if RaD can do similarly :)
iVvnMwvnY0ZiF.gif

OsirisBlack

Banned
I mean yeah the graphics are fantastic but the gunplay is so good I cant say that enough.

One thing I would like is better melee combat,the Lycan fights makes me want that type of melee.

This gunplay in this game is in my opinion the best feeling in any third person shooter. I play Gears, Max Payne, Vanquish, Uncharted, TLOU and this blows them all out of the water. I completely agree with the melee I feel they should have copied the same type of melee from Tlou as I think that is the best I have ever seen melee handled in a tps. Outside of that I would have loved to see x tapped twice while holding in a direction to roll as well as holding x while running to power slide would be cool to be able to do that while still shooting. Or even using that in conjunction with black sight.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10205820867938874

Gunplay so damn good.

Speaking of reading text, is it just me or the subtitles way too small :(

Reading the subtitles caused an eye strain for me and I game on a 32 inch TV. I don't really find many games with such an issue TBH.

I was able to read the newspaper too but reading the body of the article is another eye strain. It is do-able but not worth it since the text is too small anyways.

Loudninja

This gunplay in this game is in my opinion the best feeling in any third person shooter. I play Gears, Max Payne, Vanquish, Uncharted, TLOU and this blows them all out of the water. I completely agree with the melee I feel they should have copied the same type of melee from Tlou as I think that is the best I have ever seen melee handled in a tps. Outside of that I would have loved to see x tapped twice while holding in a direction to roll as well as holding x while running to power slide would be cool to be able to do that while still shooting. Or even using that in conjunction with black sight.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10205820867938874

Gunplay so damn good.
Agreed.

I mean I love all those game metnion and its gunplay but man soemehing about the shooting gives me joy in this game :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace

No, I don't think any of those pickups are critical to the plot. However I do think oerhaos they could have made it so that you could read more, or look at photos more closely. Likewise let you listen to the audio collectibles in-game. There is a lot of level that you can explore but it feels empty.

It's -><- this close to being a fantastic game, so roll on the sequel.

Loudninja

Speaking of reading text, is it just me or the subtitles way too small :(

Reading the subtitles caused an eye strain for me and I game on a 32 inch TV. I don't really find many games with such an issue TBH.

I was able to read the newspaper too but reading the body of the article is another eye strain. It is do-able but not worth it since the text is too small anyways.
I do wish they did this like the Last of Us,having the option to read the text on the screen.

Megatron

So I just finished the game and my god it was AWFUL. Honestly I wasn't expecting much since the reviews were pretty bad but come on Ready at Dawn. I think it took me 5-6 hours to complete it. As someone who doesn't care much for trophies at all that leaves absolutely nothing else to do in the game.

My biggest problem with The Order is just how boring it is. The encounters really don't feel interesting at all and the QTEs don't add much. It seems like enemies don't feel your bullets unless it's a shotgun blast or a tesla laser. The A.I. is subpar and the progression is extremely linear. There are whole chapters where you do NOTHING but watch cutscenes.

On the bright side, the game looks STUNNING. Unbelievable environments, great shadows and lots of polish. In one scene I actually thought I was in a movie because it looked THAT good. But that's about the only redeeming factor about The Order: its graphics. It fails hard as a game by not offering much. No costumes to unlock, no grade, crappy files to find, no extra mode, zilch. For $69.99 CAD this is a real joke.

I advise everyone to rent this. These devs spent years making a game that can be completed in one short sitting with nothing else to do than complete the campaign. The story won't keep you engaged either even if the conclusion leads to a possible sequel. In fact I'd go as far as to say The Order is another textbook example of everything that is wrong in today's industry: short games with no added value where all the efforts go into graphics. But when I'm paying so much for a game, I'm expecting content, something The Order does not have.

It's weird to me that someone would complain a game is way too short and also really boring. Would you like the game better if it was twice as long? Weren't you glad it was over since you found the game to be AWFUL?

can you provide even one example of a comparable AAA title?

Just beat it. A bit longer due to work getting in my way this week, but I think I clocked in between 10-11 hours or so.

I really enjoyed the shit out of this game. Frustrating parts were the stealth, not so much that it was tedious, but that it made little sense to me. I was literally a murder machine at that point.

But aside from that, great game. Loved the story, loved the universe, loved the way the newspaper correlated to the last bunch of shit we did that. Set up a really great setting and I hope in a potential sequel the pictures that RAD posted of different cities us part of the game.

I also enjoyed that ending as well. Now..for the others.

My gf was watching me play and was enthralled in the story. I told her that I generally love story heavy games and she found herself liking this one as well.

Really need a sequel. More gunplay but what was provided wasn't too bad really.

Megatron

We'll the next two chapters
are entirely cut scenes so check back with us after chapter 7

Mechazawa

I have. Playing using exploits and saying that it's a "skill gap" is just them making themselves feel superior for cheating.

This post is fucking awful. If exploits are pure and simple cheating, then large swathes of competitive games are built on the backbone of cheaters. Rocket jumping in Quake, bunnyhopping, skiing from Tribes, cancels and combos in fighting games.

Loomba

I loaned this to a coworker last Tuesday and he hasn't even fucking started it yet. But of course he is on everyday playing Destiny.

What I get for trying to spread the word... I wanted to play through it again. :(

Scrulox

Neo Member

Since when is game exploit considered a part of its mechanics? So if I figure out a way to move under the ground of a multiplayer game and shoot everyone from there while being undetected, I'm considered a top player?

Since when is game exploit considered a part of its mechanics? So if I figure out a way to move under the ground of a multiplayer game and shoot everyone from there while being undetected, I'm considered a top player?

Not to attack you, but I've seen countless posters refer to this as an exploit which simply isn't true. The wall-bouncing and cancelling manoeuvres as they exist in Gears of War 3 were intentionally integrated into the cover system by Epic to afford the player more freedom.

I can appreciate it isn't to everyone's taste, but it is in no way an exploit.

Only the main headline story of the newspapers can be read.

Actually you CAN read the entire main article on the page. It's good stuff too. It's just hard to read. It's defiantly not filler text which is why I wish you at least could bring up a text transcript with a button press if you did want to read it.

Scrulox

Neo Member

There are a crap ton of reviews that said the same exact things your post did. I wonder why you didn't read the reviews first before making your purchase. I live in Vancouver, and for almost 80 bucks, this game is simply not worth it.

OsirisBlack

Banned
This post is fucking awful. If exploits are pure and simple cheating, then large swathes of competitive games are built on the backbone of cheaters. Rocket jumping in Quake, bunnyhopping, skiing from Tribes, cancels and combos in fighting games.

As someone who is very heavy into the competitive fighting game community I just can't. Comparing cancels and combos to movement glitches? just no.

Edited to add:

Mr. Fletcher said it was actually added by devs so it is not a glitch.

We'll the next two chapters
are entirely cut scenes so check back with us after chapter 7

Oh ok. I'll check back for sure.

Do you guys think this would have made better impressions/reviewed better it RAD had stated up front and consistently that this was a story driven game with a large quantity of cuts cents to set expectations?

Scrulox

Neo Member
Not to attack you, but I've seen countless posters refer to this as an exploit which simply isn't true. The wall-bouncing and cancelling manoeuvres as they exist in Gears of War 3 were intentionally integrated into the cover system by Epic to afford the player more freedom.

I can appreciate it isn't to everyone's taste, but it is in no way an exploit.

But those features are not intended to produce the wall-bouncing mechanic shown in the video. That kind of travelling mechanics is never intended by Epic. And the only reason why Epic didn't take it off is because of the vocal minority. A game exploit doesn't necessarily mean it is a bug; it could simply mean something that's not intended by the developers to happen.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
As someone who is very heavy into the competitive fighting game community I just can't. Comparing cancels and combos to movement glitches? just no.

Edited to add:

Mr. Fletcher said it was actually added by devs so it is not a glitch.

Combos were started out as a glitch in SF2.

I'm very much of the opinion that Gears of War, The Last of Us and Uncharted are all striving to achieve different goals.

The former is a hardcore shooter in which the melee is considered a last resort and it's core complexity comes from mastering its movement systems and weaponry.

The Last of Us and Uncharted meld third-person shooter gameplay, traversal, stealth and a variety of other gameplay styles. Crafting and verticality are integral components in each title.

As you rightfully say, TLoU sits between both Gears of War and Uncharted in terms of feel, but does not in any way attempt to replicate a hardcore shooter.

Gears of War is a single-minded franchise and I adore it for that.

Edit: Just to clear up some nonsense surrounding wall-bouncing in Gears of War; Epic built it into the third game to improve movement and give players more freedom.

It is not an exploit.

Your absolutely right about that. Gears is extremely satisfying but going through them again I would say that is more from weapon feedback + great encounter design, level layouts + greatest reload mechanic of all time. The movement just feels a bit claustrophobic. Mind you I am not talking about MP since I never picked it up again this is just from playing the campaigns. I would say you guys should try going back to it and tell me what you think.

Mechazawa

Please. Bunnyhopping, skiing and certainly rocket jumps aren't any "lesser" than combos or cancels. They were all happy mistakes and they're all intentional staples of their genres/games now.

Your absolutely right about that. Gears is extremely satisfying but going through them again I would say that is more from weapon feedback + great encounter design, level layouts + greatest reload mechanic of all time. The movement just feels a bit claustrophobic. Mind you I am not talking about MP since I never picked it up again this is just from playing the campaigns. I would say you guys should try going back to it and tell me what you think.

I still play Gears3 alot. It holds up great, still the best TPS out there, MP wise. Singleplayer TPS are not the same I'd say. MP and singleplayer are two different monsters to slay imo.

Megatron

Do you guys think this would have made better impressions/reviewed better it RAD had stated up front and consistently that this was a story driven game with a large quantity of cuts cents to set expectations?

I don't think they should have had to explain themselves. Reviewers shouldn't be reviewing games based on the impressions they brought in to the game with them. They need to check that at the door and review it for what it is not what they thought it was going to be.

I still play Gears3 alot. It holds up great, still the best TPS out there, MP wise. Singleplayer TPS are not the same I'd say. MP and singleplayer are two different monsters to slay imo.

Yeah I might feel different if I had played the mp again. I only played the first Gears mp extensively but I don't really get into a lot of mp stuff on consoles outside of Halo. Too much Counterstrike colors my impressions of the hand-holding that is so rampant.

Very few people play like the guy in the video. Movement just feel more fluid and smooth overall. You should try one of the gears games.

I've played through Gears 1 and 2.

Movement doesn't feel fluid or smooth. That video is obviously an exaggeration, but that's a good representation of how it feels, which is not smooth or fluid. Your movement is extremely slow unless you're doing the roadie run, which then restricts your movement in a highly linear fashion. So you're constantly doing these stop, move slowly around, then escape away tactics which abruptly changes your speed and just feels clunky -- the opposite of what I'd consider fluid.

thebloo

I thought they were up front about it. I haven't seen them claim anything else.

hydruxo

They were very up front with it. Hence why from early on they said there would be no multiplayer to focus on the story & campaign.

NastyBook

The fuck was that shit?
Is Order's platinum the easiest platinum there is? It was the first I got for sure...
Terminator Salvation last generation.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Please. Bunnyhopping, skiing and certainly rocket jumps aren't any "lesser" than combos or cancels. They were all happy mistakes and they're all intentional staples of their genres/games now.

never said they were lesser but combos and cancels make sense within the genre they are in. Sking and rocket jumps while still in the game make about as much sense as the guy moving through the map like Wesker in a COMPETETIVE third person shooter.

In any competitive game there should be an equal playing field for both competitors barring skill. Moving like that just seems like an unintended exploit that was never removed. Closest thing I could relate that to mentally is tick spd Gief. you know the one that could 360 you through anything and just landed right by you so there was really no escaping him. Yea that's not still in the game.

But those features are not intended to produce the wall-bouncing mechanic shown in the video. That kind of travelling mechanics is never intended by Epic. And the only reason why Epic didn't take it off is because of the vocal minority. A game exploit doesn't necessarily mean it is a bug; it could simply mean something that's not intended by the developers to happen.

The original game and Gears of War 2 did not give the player the opportunity to wall-bounce or cancel, though ghetto variants began to appear and as a mechanic, it gained traction in the community. Epic recognised its potential and incorporated it into the cover system for Gears of War 3.

As with any great game, the community dictate the experience. The fact that through practice, map knowledge and understanding of the game you can push a movement system to its limits to gain an advantage is great. At least in my opinion.

Movement is what seperates the good from the great in Gears of War. Long-time players, like myself, take great pride in their ability to navigate the map with speed and effciency.

Perhaps we just have a different perspective?

The original Gears of War, often viewed by the masses through rose-tinted glasses, feels very clunky now. I'd say the majority of the community agree it to be the most significant in the series but I think we all recognise it no longer remains top of class.

Gears of War 2 feels nice. They dropped movement speed down and introduced stopping power, which most people don't like, but it's a definite improvement.

Gears of War 3 is the gold standard in my mind. Going in and out of cover feels silky smooth, movement speed was restored, stopping power reduced and new mechanics, such as the mantle kick, introduced to make cover play feel more dynamic. It also saw a move to an omnidirectional rolling system which affords more control.

As you can probably all tell, I can talk about Gears of War all day and of course it has its faults, but I still don't think its been topped as a straight up TPS.

Ellite25

I really don't understand how someone can say the game is awful. There are things that are mediocre, but there isn't a single thing in this game that I think can be described as awful.

Also, it sounds like you should have checked out the reviews before buying the game.

Top Bottom