• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

OsirisBlack

Banned
Hey Osiris, is the game selling decently in your store, that you know of?

So far yes but we have had about 15 cancellations of pre orders which is how I got my second Premium. Also second part of the code for a free game going up in the
review thread
in about two minutes

UglyPony

Andrea is back

ibm2byPpxHrOn9.png

Don't know if hes being sarcastic.

Ricky_R

So far yes but we have had about 15 cancellations of pre orders which is how I got my second Premium. Also second part of the code for a free game going up in the
review thread
in about two minutes

Are 15 cancellations substantial vs the amount of pre-orders? Anyway, thanks.

Reached chapter 4 now. First impressions:

- Art direction and graphics are top notch. Just WOW.
- Shooting is solid.
- Sound is beautifull
- Character control is fine and responsive.
- Story is good so far although nothing out of the ordinary. I just have to see how it developes before final judgement.

All in all i'm really enjoying it so far. No real negatives to report yet.

Wonder if it's just me or if anyone else sees it, but sometimes parts of the screen flash white for like a frame or two during cutscenes. Like part of a back wall will flash white super quickly before figuring itself out.

Is it my PS4 or just a thing that happens?

Flandy

So uhh I was planning on trading this in at Best Buy once I finished but I don't see the trade in value of it anywhere on their website. Anyone know what's up with that?

OsirisBlack

Banned
Are 15 cancellations substantial vs the amount of pre-orders? Anyway, thanks.
not really I live in an area where people are very into browsing forums and gaming related sites so the bad news more than likely hits them more than it would the casual gamers.

Just got a little way into Chapter 3, and it seems I have another game in a long list of games that I completely disagree with reviewers about (not that it matters, mind you).

Preliminary impressions:

The game has a very methodical and deliberate pace to it. I'm in love with that actually. It lets me soak in the atmosphere and the world. The visuals and sound are absolutely bonkers. The online footage just doesn't do it justice.

The encounters are standard TPS stuff so far, but the gunplay feels really good. I've been playing on medium just to be able to experiment with the encounters a bit and so far, I've been doing a quasi-Resident Evil 6 style of play. Shoot people in the legs or throw a smoke grenade, run up to them and beat em to death. It feels really satisfying.

If the rest of the game keeps up what it has in the first few chapters, I think I'll really enjoy it.

Gametrailers gave it a 8.2 did they not? I always agree with their reviews so maybe it is a good sign.

But yeah, the only review that counts is your own.

So uhh I was planning on trading this in at Best Buy once I finished but I don't see the trade in value of it anywhere on their website. Anyone know what's up with that?

It's up. It's listed as HE ORDER 1886.
Type in a "*" in the search bar to list highest values.
And it's $40.

Dominator

Armoury opened up once I downloaded the GameStop DLC. It's different outfits and guns. The guns have different perks like they might do more damage.

jem0208

This along with Driveclub simply look better than anything on PC. I know you guys try and create a set of parameters that let you believe there are better things on PC but there isn't. If you put two tv's next to each other in a Gamestop and one of them has Project Cars absolutely maxed out and on the other Driveclub every person is going to be more impressed by Driveclub. If you did the same exercise with Ryse and The Order everyone will be more impressed by the Order. Nobody cares that the tech isn't as impressive or that its not running a texture in super high res if the overall image looks unbelievable.

Not sure why I'm posting in here considering I'm never actually going to play this game, however Unity on PC is ridiculously gorgeous.

The Order is also insanely good looking, but Unity would give it a good run for it's money.

Elginer

So, I've played about two hours and some change of The Order and so far it's very much a mix of Heavy Rain or any of the TellTale games mixed with some brutal action like Gears of War. It's an odd combination that I sure as hell would never have thought of putting together but Ready At Dawn did.

It's also and no bullshit here the PRETTIEST FUCKING GAME EVER. This damn game is polished to a level that is just embarrassing for other studios.

The Telltale parts are just like any adventure game, you can actually mess up. I like to see what happens if you do actually. Some of the deaths and other things can be nasty. These are just my first impressions. Not good or bad just letting you know why perhaps this is very much NOT the game that many were expecting. The best way to describe it is - An interactive movie with third person shooting gaming elements, wrapped in the most stunning visuals this console can create. It wasn't really advertised as that very well. I think people were expecting a Gears of War clone and that sure isn't The Order. This is perhaps so many folks have been turned off or not sure what to make of it.

Not sure why I'm posting in here considering I'm never actually going to play this game, however Unity on PC is ridiculously gorgeous.

Yeah it looks great I think the Witcher 3 is gorgeous too. Still doesn't touch this.
Also your opinion is invalid being that you haven't played it. Nothing looks as good as this game, it is a staggering achievement.

I was surprised at how quickly it loads back into the game when you click continue until I noticed this:

I'm not sure which I prefer (long loads but no pop in vs. this) although I guess getting you playing as quick as possible is good. :)

Has anyone figured out what the 'Armoury' option is? Is it mainly changing skins on the weapons and Galahad?

It's for equipping the Knight's Arsenal DLC right now. My guess is that future DLC, skins mainly, will be through it.

I played this a bit more, there are some really cool weapons in it.

I'm really glad I dont listen to game journalists and publications and their reviews. Bought the game 2 hours ago and I'm enjoying it thus far (I'm on chapter 2). I get the complaints about the qte and RAD taking the controls away from the player too often or too soon. but damn the story telling, gunplay, and visuals coupled with cinematic presentation is awesome. I get what ready at dawn was trying to do.

Hasney

About to shoot a few powder kegs and then we have it, an 8 hour platinum.

Game is beautiful, the animation really makes it more than anything and the voice cast is tremendous, but they're the only positives. The story never grabbed me and the twists were telegraphed. one part made me genuinely angry over how bad it is that I'll put at the end in a list of spoilers. Final battle is ass, some of the QTEs are over done and the note it ends on is just plain bad.

I do like the setting and time period though, especially bringing some of those characters together from history. I just wish they could do more with it.

I won't comment on gunplay or what have you because games like this and Uncharted kind of grate on me now. Woo, I'm a human male shooting other human males, so I was quite excited to at least shoot some lycans and they turn out to be the worst parts of the game, combat wise. AI seems to be the same across all difficulties, just they're more accurate on harder and you can take less bullets. There are some nice touches like enemies communicating your position and the hat shooting at least.

Anyway, I couldn't really recommend it to many people, at least full price. Good rental game when you're stuck for things to do over a weekend at least

MAJOR SPOILERS FOR THE WHOLE GAME FOLLOW

The entire prologue pisses me off. So many QTEs, but at least the game picks up from there a bit... Until Isi's fake death. "OH WILL SHE OR WON'T SHE DIE?! ... Oh wait, she was in the prologue that's set in the future, of course she'll make it."

Ending though, wow. I knew that the credits would roll as soon as pulled the trigger. There was just that black screen and I was thinking "If it ends here, I'm going to be angry all night... Aw son of a bitch..." and then the post-credits scene where they may have been waving from behind the scenes going "WE'VE SEEN SUPER HERO ORIGIN FILMS BEFORE, THIS IS HOW THEY HAVE A POST CREDITS SCENE"... No, just no.

Czigga

This game will be waiting for me when I get home from work. Can't wait to see what all the fuss is about.

Fortunately I'm looking forward to a short cinematic story heavy QTE fest as it's been forever since I've actually finished a game.

void666

Banned
Good to see the positive impressions after all the hate in the last few days.

Hopefully my copy will have been delivered already when i get home.

Buburibon

I feel the amount of press this game got both good and bad has elevated everyone's interest
edit: 23 out of 106 friends online are playing the order, that's impressive I think this game is gonna sell well

Precisely. I wasn't planning to purchase it before the summer drought, but all the negativity has me convinced I should play it now. So, I'm picking it up during lunch and giving it a fair chance tonight.

Can't wait to experience for myself what the fuss is all about.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The enemy AI is some of the worst I've ever seen. Played around an hour or so, more than half of which was dedicated to cutscenes, there is almost a cutscene for every single menial action that would be an insane animation in most games. Also the game has many forced walking segments which will undoubtedly make replaying the game painful on top of the unskippable cutscenes. Such a missed opportunity so far. If we're supposed to be fighting half breeds, then why spend the majority of the game not fighting half breeds?!

I feel like BB has been giving less trade in value lately. I think with GCU you might get $35. I hope I'm wrong though.

More impressions please!

Is it ever that high? I thought 30ish was the norm.

Just looked up the following on their website for a best buy gift card. Seems like you get some good value back.

Dying light - $37
Evolve - $39

If these two are getting this much, I'm guessing The Order will get around $40.

I had to laugh at naked guy's
strategic hand placement as soon as you get camera control back.

Not much to add at the moment because I'm still early. In terms of cutscenes, so far it's all the mini ones that seem excessive to me. If I'm jumping off a ladder do I really need 3 camera cuts? It doesn't add anything to the game. If anything for me I like when even if it's a canned animation a game doesn't break from the gameplay camera while doing it.

Remf

Just received confirmation that Amazon delivered the game to my house. Trying to find a way to leave work early so i can play this bad boy.

I'm in Chapter 4 now and really enjoying myself. Shooting mechanics are solid and the guns are pretty cool to figure out and use. Unless the game takes a sharp turn for the worse somewhere in the middle, I'm surprised that the scores are as low as they are but I'll hold off on elaborating that point until I'm done playing the game.

Weird side-note...the black bars haven't bothered me much except when the game is coming in and out of cutscenes. I'm always expecting the bars to slide off screen for gameplay sections and it throws me off when it doesn't happen. Once I get playing, though, I forget they're there.

Hope others are having as much fun with this as I am!

Cloudy

Banned
Unskippable cutscenes in 2015 is kind of crazy. They should be able to patch that in for folks who hate cutscenes or are replaying the game

jonno394

the shoot out with the rebels in white chapel was a complete bitch during chapter 3 or 4. The instruction "fight through the rebel ambush" made me think you weren't just supposed to kill them them all, so I kept looking for places to "fight through" to.

They seemed never ending on hard difficulty tbh!

Overall i'm really enjoying the game. Atmosphere is fantastic, with great presentation, fantastic score and top notch voice acting. The deliberate pacing of certain scenes just help you absorb everything about the world.

Well worth the money so far!

Hasney

I had to laugh at naked guy's
strategic hand placement as soon as you get camera control back.

Not much to add at the moment because I'm still early. In terms of cutscenes, so far it's all the mini ones that seem excessive to me. If I'm jumping off a ladder do I really need 3 camera cuts? It doesn't add anything to the game. If anything for me I like when even if it's a canned animation a game doesn't break from the gameplay camera while doing it.

The thing is I'm quickly back in Chapter 3 to do the powder kegs and now I knew what was going to happen, I looked out for it and they actually rendered his dong.... not an impressive man.

Top Bottom