• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

ironcreed

Banned
Man, the thermite rifle is a beast. The way the enemies smolder and writhe while burning is amazing. This game just keeps on getting better and has some fun as hell shootouts.

Seventy70

Is anyone else having audio stuttering issues. Ever couple of second my audio cuts out and goes back on. I've tried my speakers and the headphone jack on the DS4.

I was a little worried with the game reviewing a bit lower than I expected, but wow I am enjoying it. Just got past the
first elder encounter
in chapter 4.

This game is fantastic.
Yea the hospital was tense as hell. They nailed the atmosphere perfectly. Love it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I like how they cough etc when you hit them with the fuel.

If you get shot with it, you also cough a lot, and Grayson says "damn thermite". EDIT: Also being close to the ignited thermite makes the character kind of do a pain reaction. Don't know how to describe it better though!

benzy

One of the later levels...
kpjums.png

http://a.pomf.se/rruxzi.gif

Is anyone else having audio stuttering issues. Ever couple of second my audio cuts out and goes back on. I've tried my speakers and the headphone jack on the DS4.

It's happened to me. I thought it was my earbuds but I think it might be an issue with the DS4. It's happened in Driveclub for me as well.

Just finished it. Visually it's astounding. The pace feels a bit wonky in parts and I would have liked it to be longer, probably took me 7-8 hours. Overall I enjoyed the game and the story.

antitrop

The game is playing a movie. If that sounds appealing, this is probably the best go of it anyone's made, yet.

Better than all that Quantic Dream nonsense.

Omg the real boss was
that damn room with like 50 guards

I liked it apart from a few things.

The ending definitely
made the game feel short. It is definitely sequalized. Lord Hastings is the real bad guy, and if he was actually killed at the end of this game, at whatever length it was, it wouldn't feel short.

Haines

Banned
The game is playing a movie. If that sounds appealing, this is probably the best go of it anyone's made, yet.

Yeah I don't mind it just for the fact of having a variety in my gaming life. as far as value...I can see that being the reason reviews knocked it down.

Something like the last of us had a better way of doing things.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Wow that ending. -_- I definitely agree with the reviews on this one,
literally ends just as the story is getting good with a sequel baiting cliffhanger, so many fights against generic brain dead human enemies and identical lycan fights, including a really shameful reuse for the final boss, random as hell integration of vampires for god knows what reason. Tons of things are unresolved at the end.
It's unbelievably handholdy(yes, I know how to lockpick, this is the sixth goddamn time), gunplay is most definitely not as good as gears of war or TLOU, it's competent but nothing special, especially considering that the enemies are so repetitive. I agree with the metacritic score, 6.5/10, above average game that feels like a huge missed opportunity because the premise was really unique and the setting is not something we see often in games. There's also the tons of cutscenes for every nearly every single menial action. Ugh, disappointed. Will trade in on Monday, i'll stick to Bloodborne for my werewolf victorian london hunting pleasure,
and AC Victory for my historical tourism with an accurately populated London.
. Excited for the honeymoon period to end for most gamers who bought this on release. Also developers need to learn how to introduce their world properly, this game has a terrible and cliched use of in media res style storytelling.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Wheres my The Order headset preset? The most recent one is Driveclub. Gotta do anything special?

Jashobeam

just gotta quickly chime in to say the explosions and smoke effects are the best I've seen in a game! I lovin' the thermite gun, it really kicks ass.

I already posted this in the review thread, but I figure that I may as well get opinions from both sides. I'm really interested in the game, but I'm curious as to how much exploration or downtime there is in the game. I find myself craving that these days, and this game seems like it could be a good source of that.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Driveclubs JUST came out so I wouldn't expect The Order any time soon.. though Destiny's was out pretty quick
Thanks. Now to abort thread for the night. See y'all when I'm done. I'll just load up Killzone for the gun and bass boost.

GavinUK86

I would actually describe this as Quantic Dream-like but with shooting instead of choices. That's not a negative, I love those games and I absolutely loved this game. I think people were expecting the next evolution in TPS but it's obvious RAD were never going for that.

BokehKing

Banned
Hmm it's basically like an interactive movie and I can see how some people can hate that

I believe a lot of people are just disappointed by the untapped potential.

Don't like having qte for everything but it's not a deal breaker, it's just annoying.

So far I'm into the story though, having company over and have to put the game down for now

You know, its a shame this game isn't more like DriveClub, where they could patch in features and gradually improve the game over time.

Sadly, I don't think that can be done here.

If there was something you guys would like to see added to the game post-launch, what would it be?

Mr.Swag

Banned
Damn it. I really want this game and a ps4.
One day.

I promises myself at the beginning of this Gen I wouldn't buy until Uncharted came out.

Need to keep strong.

MormaPope

Banned
The reviews are bullshit. I'll leave it there.

RE6 got trashed by reviewers and gamers, I loved it.
Deadly Premonition got trashed, loved it.
Nier was considered to be a middling game, I consider it a excellent game.

Guess what? I harbor no negative feelings towards critics and gamers that think those games are piles of steamy shit. I accept that I may enjoy things most other people don't enjoy, and that my shit stinks just like everyone else's.

The angst towards reviews and critics is obnoxious. Reviews exist to give information and a subjective opinion to people that can't play the game, they don't exist to validate what any random gamer feels while playing a game.

PBY

Banned

Guess what? I harbor no negative feelings towards critics and gamers that think those games are piles of steamy shit. I accept that I may enjoy things most other people don't enjoy, and that my shit stinks just like everyone else's.

The angst towards reviews and critics is obnoxious. Reviews exist to give information and a subjective opinion to people that can't play the game, they don't exist to validate what any random gamer feels while playing a game.
Nailed it and last paragraph gets it sooo perfectly.

jackdoe

Wow. This game is extremely pretty. I like it so far, but I can definitely see why reviewers had issues with it. It definitely isn't for everyone. Which is why they definitely should have thrown in a multiplayer mode, pure gameplay to counter the heavily story driven single player.

Hugstable

Banned

Truth.

If you enjoy the premise of the game, buy the game and see if you enjoy it. Who cares what some reviews or random posters say. Do your own research, if a game sounds like something you like, go for it. Reviews are great buying guides I think, and they help me figure out whether the game is for me or not. But just like he said, there are games that reviewed bad that I still enjoy (heck I actually enjoy Knack in a way lol :-0. It's just wierd to see people hating on reviews and everything just because it didn't get a score you wanted it to have, not all games will score well with critics, doesn't mean you might not like it. No need to call their ability to review games into question or anything, people just have different tastes.

That said, gonna be giving this game a go over the weekend hopefully if I have time. Gonna be a bit busy :-/

Surprise! Surprise!

Yo the graphics are crazy. I don't even think any PC games look this good and complete.

Does anybody notice the frame rate goes over 30fps or am I imagining things?

I'm on my second playthrough on chapter 5 and I noticed it a few times where it felt a lot higher (Infamous SS esque) but dropped back to 30. Noticed it a lot in Dying Light too.

It only happens on this game and I have tried a few games to test this...

Argh of all the fucking games this had to happen on.

1886 is probably stressing the GPU more than any of your other games, hence why it's only happening now. Similar thing happened when Gears of War came out. Lots of 360s met their fate early because of that game.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
A few chapters in so far....

Visually, the game delivers hard as hell, i had high expectations and it definitely matched it. Although the enemies surprisingly dont have that much visual flair, if at all, especially compared to everything else. It is a visual showcase for sure, but hard to show off because it takes a while to hit the action scenes.

Gunplay, way more "floatier" than I thought, and the bullet impacts don't feel as weighty as the weapons visually appear/sound. The impact detection is also a bit off, especially when enemies are around corners. I can see them poking out but I can't get a hit at all. Blackwater is an interesting concept but awkward in execution since you can't really aim it as much as you'd like.

Controls - Prompts. Fucking everywhere, and rather unnecessary. When the action kicks in it is very straight forward.

Story is actually pretty interesting, and the world is wonderfully tailored to it.

Overall, I'd recommend it as a rent, or when it is much cheaper. The game should have been sold not as a cinematic third person shooter but something more like Heavy Rain.

hydruxo

Wow that ending. -_- I definitely agree with the reviews on this one,
literally ends just as the story is getting good with a sequel baiting cliffhanger, so many fights against generic brain dead human enemies and identical lycan fights, including a really shameful reuse for the final boss, random as hell integration of vampires for god knows what reason. Tons of things are unresolved at the end.
It's unbelievably handholdy(yes, I know how to lockpick, this is the sixth goddamn time), gunplay is most definitely not as good as gears of war or TLOU, it's competent but nothing special, especially considering that the enemies are so repetitive. I agree with the metacritic score, 6.5/10, above average game that feels like a huge missed opportunity because the premise was really unique and the setting is not something we see often in games. There's also the tons of cutscenes for every nearly every single menial action. Ugh, disappointed. Will trade in on Monday, i'll stick to Bloodborne for my werewolf victorian london hunting pleasure,
and AC Victory for my historical tourism with an accurately populated London.
. Excited for the honeymoon period to end for most gamers who bought this on release. Also developers need to learn how to introduce their world properly, this game has a terrible and cliched use of in media res style storytelling.

Can we stop with the whole "honeymoon period" shit? It's annoying. Just because you didn't like it as much as others doesn't mean everyone who is enjoying it now is just going through a honeymoon phase. It's not exactly a stretch to think people might actually like the game for what it is.

gunplay is most definitely not as good as gears of war or TLOU, it's competent but nothing special,
That's interesting, that's pretty much how I would describe TLOU's gunplay. I don't see anything in particular that elevates gunplay in TLOU over The Order. In fact guns in TO1886 feel punchier, louder, just smoother to operate in my opinion.

Excited for the honeymoon period to end for most gamers who bought this on release.
This is really starting to get irritating and almost feels like a slight insult of intelligence to the many level headed posters in this very topic. I think many are mature enough here to not have 'drank the koolaid' and can praise the game in the ways they see fit.

LuuKyK

The zeppelin stage is unreal, jesus christ. The lighting in it is out of this world.
RAD please release a Photomode for this game ASAP.

That's interesting, that's pretty much how I would describe TLOU's gunplay. I don't see anything in particular that elevates gunplay in TLOU over The Order. In fact guns in TO1886 feel punchier, louder, just smoother to operate in my opinion.

This is really starting to get irritating and almost feels like a slight insult of intelligence to the many level headed posters in this very topic. I think many are mature enough here to not have 'drank the koolaid' and can praise the game in the ways they see fit.

Thank you. It's one thing that people are using reviews to make determinations of the game (that's fine), but insulting people who have different opinions as if we have some sort of "emotional" investment in the game if we enjoy it is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm enjoying the game and I could probably make a profit flipping it. I bought it for $37 and can trade it in for $40 if I wanted. Why the fuck would I have some sort of honeymoon period with the game? Its such annoying bullshit.

Top Bottom