• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

thought i would share a few pics

1C8WMiL.jpg

8fV5Hfj.jpg

zaBzK0H.jpg

wDj42ET.jpg

I have this too lol

PNcu00p.jpg

Anyways, 90 minutes in and I just started Chapter 3. Not much to say other than what everyone else has, gorgeous visuals and a very deliberate pace. I'm really liking it though, and it's good to hear it only gets better.

This is really starting to get irritating and almost feels like a slight insult of intelligence to the many level headed posters in this very topic. I think many are mature enough here to not have 'drank the koolaid' and can praise the game in the ways they see fit.

Agreed 100%. I have played many games I did not care for and there is no "honeymoon" period if I'm not enjoying something.

nib95

Banned
Man the story proper ratchets up a notch after Chapter VI and beyond. Also Galahad is pretty much a total bad ass. I really hope it continues to develop at this rate and doesn't fizzle out towards the latter acts.

Still really enjoying the game overall, especially after more segments of shooting which were solid, brutal fun. I sort of wish I had more bodies to bag with the triple barrel shotgun, especially before I was given the Arc gun. A few segments throughout the game (especially in the airship) could have actually done with a wave or two more enemies, especially in the ballroom. No point having such an arsenal of different weapons if there aren't enough enemies to experiment with them on.

Game on a 21:9 monitor.

Y8LsssS.jpg

Wat….

Sohaim

just sharing my initial impression on this game, i just got it 4 hours ago, and i was really expecting something bad based on some people and the reviews, but damn this game is not bad at all, no where near what some people made it out to be. there is nothing that stands out(except graphics and detail, i love the detail in this game) but it plays very WELL, i was expecting the shotting and cover mechanics to be bad and clunky, and it was not, it felt really solid to me, so far i am having a good time with the game.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Can we stop with the whole "honeymoon period" shit? It's annoying. Just because you didn't like it as much as others doesn't mean everyone who is enjoying it now is just going through a honeymoon phase. It's not exactly a stretch to think people might actually like the game for what it is.
That's interesting, that's pretty much how I would describe TLOU's gunplay. I don't see anything in particular that elevates gunplay in TLOU over The Order. In fact guns in TO1886 feel punchier, louder, just smoother to operate in my opinion.

This is really starting to get irritating and almost feels like a slight insult of intelligence to the many level headed posters in this very topic. I think many are mature enough here to not have 'drank the koolaid' and can praise the game in the ways they see fit.
Alright, apology for the honeymoon phase comment. The guns definitely sound louder in the order, but I just don't feel that sense of weight from my play style, also doesn't help that the enemies definitely don't react as much to gunshots as they do in the last of us, (depending on the weapon being used).

TheFatMan

I just finished chapter 3. My god this game is beautiful. I have never seen anything come close to this on Console. The game is ok, but the eye candy is so good I barely even care.

We will have great things this generation my friends....great things.

Alright, apology for the honeymoon phase comment. The guns definitely sound louder in the order, but I just don't feel that sense of weight from my play style, also doesn't help that the enemies definitely don't react as much to gunshots as they do in the last of us.

Yeah that's true. Few games has as satisfying impact as melee and guns in TLOU. When you shotgun someone in the face, you fucking FEEL it.

nib95

Banned
Can we stop with the whole "honeymoon period" shit? It's annoying. Just because you didn't like it as much as others doesn't mean everyone who is enjoying it now is just going through a honeymoon phase. It's not exactly a stretch to think people might actually like the game for what it is.

Agreed, it's condescending and adds nothing to the discussion bar the annoying presumption that impressions are jaded, untrustworthy or false.

Darknight

Game on a 21:9 monitor.

Y8LsssS.jpg
Is this a real life picture or photoshop? Holy hell.

Also I have played maybe 1.5h of the game. I like it so far. The best thing is this runs really smooth like from gameplay to scenes.

Only nitpick is that there are no reflections what so ever. Its more striking when there is a huge ass dress (?) mirror in the beginning and you cant see yourself at all. Like wow. I realize it must be since devs cant afford to say render the character model twice or afford the expensive technical aspect whatever.

One more thing, liking the sexual tension between Galahad, Isabelle and Marquis.

Cubed

just sharing my initial impression on this game, i just got it 4 hours ago, and i was really expecting something bad based on some people and the reviews, but damn this game is not bad at all, no where near what some people made it out to be. there is nothing that stands out(except graphics and detail, i love the detail in this game) but it plays very WELL, i was expecting the shotting and cover mechanics to be bad and clunky, and it was not, it felt really solid to me, so far i am having a good time with the game.

Yep. Most of the reviews were crap wrong.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yeah that's true. Few games has as satisfying impact as melee and guns in TLOU. When you shotgun someone in the face, you fucking FEEL it.
Exactly, in the last of us you feel it, even though in the order limbs fly off if you use the more powerful version of the second it just doesn't feel as punchy, and the melee (if you can call it that) just isn't as good because they made a canned animation instead of a flying punch straight to the jaw.

Purest 78

That's interesting, that's pretty much how I would describe TLOU's gunplay. I don't see anything in particular that elevates gunplay in TLOU over The Order. In fact guns in TO1886 feel punchier, louder, just smoother to operate in my opinion.

I was actually called a fanboy today because I said I enjoyed the game.

The melee in TLoU is highly under-appreciated.

There's an amount of snappiness, weight and cinematic 'visceralness' (aka the occasional times they take away camera/control for you during stuff like smashing head to walls ) that was very well-balanced.

It always felt like if it even leaned a little bit more of any of those three factors, it would hadn't been as good as it was. Even just a little bit.

The Order, imo, was an example where all the right ideas were there, but the 'balance' of it wasn't the best. Be it the choice to have button prompts, or how some take-down scenes felt longer and 'slower' than others ( like the kitchen take-downs ), etc.

Sohaim

Yep. Most of the reviews were crap wrong.

thats for sure, even my wife got interested when she saw me playing a bit, it really is a shamethat there is no Co-op in this game, lots of potencial for that, i almost gave up on buying this, good thing i did not follow the reviews.

Elios83

Just made it to chapter 5, the PSX demo basically.
My impressions are absolutely positive.
Graphics and atmosphere are mindblowing, best thing next gen has produced so far.
The game as expected is a mix of interactive adventure games (like games from TellTale and Quantic Dream) with tps shooting sections like Uncharted/Gears.
If you like both there's no way you won't like The Order, if you just want non stop action this game is not what you're looking for.
The game does't try to innovate anything, all the gameplay ideas have been already used in other games but overall the mix is pretty exciting to play.
The different weapons are all pretty cool to use and the shooting has a really satisfying feeling, you feel that your enemies are getting seriously hurt :D
Characters are really well developed, story is pretty interesting so far.
And that lycan melee comabat was really intense =)
My only complaints are that the shooting sections tend to be too frontal so far so there's a corridor shooter effect, it's not always like that though because there are sections where the enemies actively try to catch you from behind.
IA is not the smartest but the game is still pretty challenging.
As I said overall I'm really pleased with it so far.

I can see that this game is not for everyone and that some points could be taken off for certain aspects that could be improved in a sequel, but all the mediocre scores are just a joke, amount of hate this game got from the press is pretty unprecedented...at the same time TellTale can still release whatever buggy shit they want and they still get all 8s....but hey don't want to bring this debate here.

just isn't as good because they made a canned animation instead of a flying punch straight to the jaw.

I personally don't think there's anything inherently inferior with canned animation vs a direct melee attack, but The Order doesn't sell the illusion of being 'as involved' with the melee sequences as well as TLoU, partially in due to how the camera cuts away, and how the button prompts make it feel like you're activating something instead of hitting someone.

If it were me, I would had removed the prompts and made the 'activation' of every melee start from gameplay camera, so that at least it felt like you were pressing a button to attack someone in-game.

careksims

I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm after the
hospital
. and I love the gun/cover play of it. Of course the graphics/special effects are just plain gorgeous. I wish a lot of games have this much detail in it.

No reflections in the mirrors did bother me though.

Excited for the honeymoon period to end for most gamers who bought this on release.

That is a funny thing to say. You were on GAF defending AC Unity like crazy when it released against complaints people had about the game. Was that a honeymoon period for you as well? Some gamers are enjoying The Order, like you enjoyed AC Unity when it released, but that is just a "honeymoon?" That is pretty ridiculous. Are people not allowed to enjoy The Order, a game that has received mixed reviews and impressions, the way you enjoyed AC Unity, a game that received mixed reviews and impressions?

I am not comparing the games, but I am comparing the situations.

Nuke Soda

So I'm in the Hospital section and I am going to be brutally honest, super, brutal, honest.
I am enjoying the hell out of this game, if this is mediocrity then my friends I shall be mediocre for life.

MattyG

Banned
Yooooooo that was so good. Took me about 6.5 - 7 hours in total, but I loved it. There were a couple parts that dragged a bit, but I was never straight up bored.

YRuafraid

Banned

Ah fuck it, I was in a huge dilemma but you convinced me. This is what I'm hoping for too, pls don't disappoint

Top Bottom