• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

T.O.P

Banned
I donnow if i can bring myself to finish this, it started in a good way, slow but a good start...then the monotony just hit me, game takes away the control from the player too many times, hell it made me nervous, i just passed the bridge fight and my only thought was "just waiting for another 10 minutes of nothing"

The pace doesn't help at all damn

Such a shame, really, the atmosphere and art direction are absolutely fantastic :(

Played for 20 minutes before Exhaustion took hold. here's a quick observation:

If the early QTE's are any indication I think some people's problems' with the cutscenes & QTE integration is more due to a conditioning of how we've always done things.

In the past you just laid the controller on your lap & watched a cutscene. Hearing from numerous reviews that QTEs interrupt cutscenes told me ok, I have to pay attention & keep my hands on the wheel.

So far everything has flowed perfectly cause I came in knowing the cutscenes are more aggressive than passive. But if you're playing the game & trying to tweet or hold a conversation with a friend I can see why many would view it as jarring. But IMO it keeps me emerged. Knowing shit can jump off at any moment is more engaging than just watching. Is it the games fault we are all conditioned to relax during cutscenes?

That's all I feel qualified to speak on since I haven't played much but I didnt
like the first Lycan appearance. The redcoats trying to hold him off made the lycan look weak. Short range, roaring & shoot, shoot bang just seemed janky. it seemed to take forever and they still just playing around in the background. Besides the first time I see would should be grand not a distraction

Xpliskin

Great, a classic "almost every single media outlet thinks this game is a dud, but I'm going to defend my 60 dollar pre-order because THEY'RE WRONG MAAAAANNNNNNN!" thread. Love it. Don't worry, everyone's done it at least once. Whenever I'm feeling down I reread the Knack thread for the same hilarious posts. It's a thing of beauty.

I can't tell if you're serious.

You must be a great person to hang out with if true.

Robot Pants

Holy mother of god this game looks absolutely amazing. Probably the best looking game I've ever seen. I knew this was gonna be the first one to truly feel next-gen and my god I'm blown away.

RAD needs to outsource this engine to everyone. Cause from the opening intro I could see just how amazing a horror game would be with these visuals.

I haven't gotten far enough to judge it on the gameplay but if the comments about the lackluster shooting and gameplay and whatnot are true, I think a great thing for RAD to do would be go the episodic route like valve tried.
Not necessarily three confirmed episodes, maybe just one that bridges the gap between this and the next game that adds a bunch of new ideas and gameplay tweeks to show us what could be in store.
Kind of like how HL2:EP2 took everything from HL2 and made it better and condensed it.
Sometimes games like these tend to have their development time taken up by nailing down the overall feel first and don't leave much time to experiment with really new ideas for gameplay the first time around, but then the sequel comes along and improves just about everything. I can totally see this being the case with The Order. They have a solid base and can now focus more on how it plays.

Later on down the line, release an episodic DLC for 30 bucks with a bunch of new mechanics and I can see there being a ton more hype for a sequel.
Whatever I'm ranting. Back to it

Jobbs

Banned
I spend so much time staring at things this'll probably be a 12-15 hour game. I also liked looking closely at the various people engaging in conversations going on around me. They generally have nice animations and faces and everything, so it's fun to watch them.

really can't wait to play this on Monday. I have an extra code for the game but do I take offers here or is there a thread for that stuff here on GAF?

H4r4kiri

After 8 hours in I saw the last Sequenz and I can say I will never give any crap about a review again.

Graphics:
Very Very amazing, I was so amazed I had to take a breathe and realize that this runs real time. The beautiful art direction helps and it is very atmospheric, like the whole game. The sceneries and set pieces are pure art and really suck you in. Really a stunner.

Sound:
Astonishing soundtrack and a very well mixed sound. Maybe one of the best I have ever heard. Voices are clear and hearable. Grenades have huge impact and guns sounds are amazing too. You can really feel the kick and heavyness of the gun just by listening.

Gameplay:
Yes the game is not flawless and far from perfect when talking about gameplay. Too much help from the game itself. To much button smashing and press X to go further. Very corrdiorlike encounters. The guns feel great though, but I hoped for more fancy weapons.
The Elders encounters and Lycans encounters were a little bit disappointing and kind of underwhelming
. The basic shooting is very good though and the cover mechanics work great.

Story:
The Story is really good even great for a videogame ( I believe games are nowhere near movies and only Last of Us reached a very comparable awesome movie storyline). The Pacing is a little but just a little imperfect. The game starts too slow and ends too quick with slight confusion ( I can totally understand why the game ended that way and why this decision is made). I also disliked that I just got thrown into the world. No Background, no explaining. At the beginning you get lost a little , because you don't understand what is going on, unless you watches all Trailers and Interviews/Making-Ofs.
They should have made an Intro revealing some backstory or other ways to get you more into the Order and the Knight and the Lycans
. I did not quite understand why they want to sent Vampires to USA, instead of Wolves ? The Leader were Half-breeds , Elders or the ancient heritages ?
But overall I really liked the story and was really drawn into it. I wanted to know more. The atmosphere is really tight and superb, while the music delivers everytime, which make the Story even more compelling.

Conclusion:
I really liked the Order and hope for more. I would love the to have a sequel to this awesome foundation. I would not recommend that game to Players, who love exploring and making decisions or open-world fans. The Game is what it wants to be. A cinematic experience with a good to great story and basic gameplay. It sucks you in though and really delivers, when you are open enough to embrace the concept. When you like movielike games and a great Story go for it. I love these kind of games and do not like openworld that much though. I recommend that to everyone, who loves story, atmosphere and great soundtracks. If you like Wolfenstein New Order, Killzone 2 or Resistance you will like this also, I guess.
I really had a fun time and enjoyed the whole cinematic-game-experience and can just say please play that game it really deserves a shot and please give me a even better sequel.

I hate giving numbers, but if I have to it would end up with 7,5 / 10

PS: If you are offended by my english skills, I am sorry, but it is not my mothertongue

pHgYpXHl.jpg

Nice.
Haha can I store water in that blackwater vial?

Three

I donnow if i can bring myself to finish this, it started in a good way, slow but a good start...then the monotony just hit me

Says the guy who enjoyed ryse. Anyway haven't played the order yet hope to a little later down the line.

Frillen

After 8 hours in I saw the last Sequenz and I can say I will never give any crap about a review again.

I've heard that a lot throughout the last couple of years. Ironically, The Order 1886 review thread is one of the biggest review threads ever, so people seem to care :p

Jashobeam

just started chapter 3 and taking a break, did anyone notice the shadows in the window at the begging of ch3? it's in one of the houses by the horse carriage. It's a really nice touch and something I haven't seen before in a game.

I wish they would simplify some game mechanics, instead we've got X to climb up then pressing it again to pull yourself. Holding down a button for a second to pick up a weapon and two different buttons to enter and leave cover.

Some things that I like, when you're in cover tilting the stick lets you peak above cover, nice touch.

Says the guy who enjoyed ryse. Anyway haven't played the order yet hope to a little later down the line.

I feel like you lost your argument when you then said you havent even played The Order.. surely they are in a better position to judge whether they feel it gets "monotonous" than you are? Not everything needs to be compared in console warz.

Anyway, im in chapter 3 so far, very pretty, absolutely top notch presentation too. The transitions between cutscene and playing are very nice too, enjoying it early on.

T.O.P

Banned

what is that even supposed to mean? hell i enjoyed Ryse for what it was, but i was also pretty convinced that the game lacked some serious varietion in gameplay hence why i played it once and never touched it again

why are you even bringing in Ryse tho

@and you didn't even play the game yet, wth

Krakn3Dfx

Watched part of cutscene on Youtube, and now I really...really want to play it. The dialogue is as good as any movie I've seen, and the look and feel of the world is amazing.

I may end up driving up to Target before the snow moves in and grabbing a copy to play this weekend. Dammit.

Booshka

Graphics:
Very Very amazing, I was so amazed I had to take a breathe and realize that this runs real time. The beautiful art direction helps and it is very atmospheric, like the whole game. The sceneries and set pieces are pure art and really suck you in. Really a stunner.

Sound:
Astonishing soundtrack and a very well mixed sound. Maybe one of the best I have ever heard. Voices are clear and hearable. Grenades have huge impact and guns souns are amazing too. You can really feel the kick and heavyness of the gun just by listening.

Gameplay:
Yes the game is not flawless and far from perfect when talking about gameplay. Too much help from the game itself. To much button smashing and press X to go further. Very corrdiorlike encounters. The guns feel great though, but I hoped for more fancy weapons.
The Elders encounters and Lycans encounters were a little bit disappointing and kind of underwhelming

Story:
The Story is really good even great for a videogame ( I believe games are nowhere near movies and only Last of Us reached a very comparable awesome movie storyline). The Pacing is a little but just a little imperfect. The game starts too slow and ends too quick with slight confusion ( I can totally understand why the game ended that way and why this decision is made). I also disliked that I just got thrown into the world. No Background, no explaining. At the beginning you get lost a little , because you don't understand what is going on, unless you watches all Trailers and Interviews/Making-Ofs.
They should have made an Intro revealing some backstory or other ways to get you more into the Order and the Knight and the Lycans
. I did not quite understand why they want to sent Vampires to USA, instead of Wolves ? The Leader were Half-breeds , Elders or the ancient heritages ?
But overall I really liked the story and was really drawn into it. I wanted to know more. The atmosphere is really tight and superb, while the music delivers everytime, which make the Story even more compelling.

Conclusion:
I really liked the Order and hope for more. I would love the have a sequel to this awesome foundation. I would not recommend that game to Players, who love exploring and making decisions or open-world fans. The Game is what it want to be. A cinematic experience with a good to great story and basic gameplay. It sucks you in though and really delivers, when you are open enough to embrace the concept. When you like movielike games and a great Story go for it. I love these kind of games and do not like openworld that much though. I recommend that to everyone, who loves story, atmosphere and great soundtracks. If you like Wolfenstein New Order, Killzone 2 or Resistance you will like this also, I guess.
I really had a fun time and enjoyed the whole cinematic-game-experiecne and can just say please play that game it really deserves a shot.

PS: If you are offended by my english skills, I am sorry, but it is not my mothertongue

For a second language, you did very well. Nice writeup overall, from what I have seen the story didn't impress me, but the visuals, sound, and overall production is impressive, so a more fleshed out game with this engine and setting has potential.

Can I listen to an 'archive' audio log while playing... Or do you have to listen to them with tge splash screen?

I was wondering this too, seems strange if you cant but I couldnt get it to play outside of the archive, will listen to them another time, not that ive found many so far :(

Three

I feel like you lost your argument when you then said you havent even played The Order.. surely they are in a better position to judge whether they feel it gets "monotonous" than you are? Not everything needs to be compared in console warz.

Anyway, im in chapter 3 so far, very pretty, absolutely top notch presentation too. The transitions between cutscene and playing are very nice too, enjoying it early on.

Why? I haven't played the order but I've certainly played Ryse. Why would I not be able to comment on its monotony?
Like you said, not everything is consolwarz so why do you feel as if I made comment on anything other than what I said?

This game has Bioshock level of immersion. Only the actual moment to moment gameplay isnt up to par for me... Nothing that can't be fixed in a sequel. Give them a chance Sony. Dont fail me.

I was wondering this too, seems strange if you cant but I couldnt get it to play outside of the archive, will listen to them another time, not that ive found many so far :(
Yes. This is done better in other games. Just let me listen to audiologs while keeping me in the game.

Edit: by the way, Dark Sector crossed my mind. Anyone played that game?

I'm picking this up after work today. I really hope the ending isn't as much of a let down as people are inferring with the abruptness.

Going to play this on my dads 65" on surround sound. Can't wait to see these visuals on a big screen.

Why? I haven't played the order but I've certainly played Ryse. Why would I not be able to comment on its monotony?
Like you said, not everything is consolwarz so why do you feel as if I made comment on anything other than what I said?

His post had nothing to do with Ryse? They arent exactly that similar

Yes. This is done better in other games. Just let me listen to audiologs while keeping me in the game.

Edit: by the way, Dark Sector crossed my mind. Anyone played that game?

Been a long time since I played it but yeh I enjoyed that.

I'm picking this up after work today. I really hope the ending isn't as much of a let down as people are inferring with the abruptness.

Going to play this on my dads 65" on surround sound. Can't wait to see these visuals on a big screen.
Yeah well... Nothing wrong with the sound and visuals. Wowwww

H4r4kiri

For a second language, you did very well. Nice writeup overall, from what I have seen the story didn't impress me, but the visuals, sound, and overall production is impressive, so a more fleshed out game with this engine and setting has potential.

Well like I said, overall the story is nothing groundbreaking or impressive, when we talk about normal movie standards. But I think this games profits from your own fiction and fantasy in your head, what other games don't. Also we talk about a videogame, where story is not very good in most cases. I even think Halo's story and writing is pretty bad sometimes, but it gets high scores and is loved for its story. Comparing Order to a well made movie, it is basic and generic hollywood writing, but comparing it to others videogames it really does well. Sadly the story just picks up at chapter 8, just as i said, the pacing is not perfect.

Three

what is that even supposed to mean? hell i enjoyed Ryse for what it was, but i was also pretty convinced that the game lacked some serious varietion in gameplay hence why i played it once and never touched it again

why are you even bringing in Ryse tho

@and you didn't even play the game yet, wth

Yeah, I haven't played The Order. I was just saying. For somebody who enjoyed Ryse

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=134180813

calling this monotonous would either mean that it's more monotonous than the most monotonous game I've played or for me not to trust that opinion. I'm not making a case for either. Just the observation and the fact that I have yet to experience the Order for myself to make any judgment on it..

GobFather

Graphics:

Sound:
Astonishing soundtrack and a very well mixed sound. Maybe one of the best I have ever heard. Voices are clear and hearable. Grenades have huge impact and guns souns are amazing too. You can really feel the kick and heavyness of the gun just by listening.

Gameplay:

Story:

Conclusion:
I really liked the Order and hope for more. I would love the have a sequel to this awesome foundation. I would not recommend that game to Players, who love exploring and making decisions or open-world fans. The Game is what it want to be. A cinematic experience with a good to great story and basic gameplay. It sucks you in though and really delivers, when you are open enough to embrace the concept. When you like movielike games and a great Story go for it. I love these kind of games and do not like openworld that much though. I recommend that to everyone, who loves story, atmosphere and great soundtracks. If you like Wolfenstein New Order, Killzone 2 or Resistance you will like this also, I guess.
I really had a fun time and enjoyed the whole cinematic-game-experiecne and can just say please play that game it really deserves a shot.

awesome! Thank you! Appreciate Gaffers reviews :D

T.O.P

Banned
Yeah, I haven't played The Order. I was just saying. For somebody who ejoyed Ryse

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=134180813

calling this monotonous would mean either that it's even more monotonous than the most monotonous game I've played or for me not to trust that opinion. I'm not making a case for either. Just the observation I the fact that I have yet to experience the Order for myself to make any judgment on it..

...i don't even know what am i supposed to say to you at this point

i MIGHT be more into hack 'n slash than tps, did you even consider that? or MIGHT be more into the Rome time thingy than Steampunk London? how many variables are in consideratio nwhen it comes to a game?

GobFather

Watched part of cutscene on Youtube, and now I really...really want to play it. The dialogue is as good as any movie I've seen, and the look and feel of the world is amazing.

I may end up driving up to Target before the snow moves in and grabbing a copy to play this weekend. Dammit.

ooo? where do you live? I hope not in Boston :p Drive safe!!

niahbvgpq

For those who fiished the game, a question:
any idea of who could be the guy that saves Galahad with the help of Tesla towards the end? He's credited as "mysterious figure". Was the guy Perceval was secretly speaking to during the first half of the game?

Three

His post had nothing to do with Ryse? They arent exactly that similar

Been a long time since I played it but yeh I enjoyed that.

From what I hear there certainly are a lot of parallels. Monotony being one of them, as well as QTEs, linearity, emphasis on graphics etc. Anyway, you're right, I'll stop before I derail the thread. Was only making a connection to games I know about.

MrxDemix

Banned
I donnow if i can bring myself to finish this, it started in a good way, slow but a good start...then the monotony just hit me, game takes away the control from the player too many times, hell it made me nervous, i just passed the bridge fight and my only thought was "just waiting for another 10 minutes of nothing"

The pace doesn't help at all damn

Such a shame, really, the atmosphere and art direction are absolutely fantastic :(

I just tried playing it again after beating it. I lasted 10 minutes.

bryanee

I just tried playing it again after beating it. I lasted 10 minutes.

Maybe give more time between each play through? I wouldn't even play my favourite games of all time back to back.

I'd like to mention how fooking quick the loading is in this game. Super fast.

Top Bottom