• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

byropoint

For those who fiished the game, a question:
any idea of who could be the guy that saves Galahad with the help of Tesla towards the end? He's credited as "mysterious figure". Was the guy Perceval was secretly speaking to during the first half of the game?

No idea but
I completely forgot that guy Perceval talked to lol, another question left by the ending, could be him but my guess would be another ex-knight of The Order, some kind of a new mentor we're supposed to meet in the sequel?

I think this is what David Cage has been trying to achieve but failing at.
Nah hes going for a completely different tone and actually tries to minimize passive cutscenes. Not comparable.

It really is. The graphics whore in me is overwhelmed. Been doing an Amirox special and analysing all the different materials and textures etc. Everything feels really cohesive and believable. Every door, gate, rope, pot, pan, bottle, flask, bench, statue, table, gate, lamp, light, tile, flag etc. The only thing that has felt out of place is that the physics on pans have them a bit too light. They move too much from a little nudge (though the copper material on them, and matt black innards are dead on), but aside from that, there's a breathtaking attention to detail. One part on the air ship I was watching Percival and Izzy climb some rope and help each other up in the distance. They must have mo capped even that because the animations were spot on.
Yap. Only thing making me sad is lack of character reflections. Even in mirrors. Like come on.

RAD needs to outsource this engine to everyone. Cause from the opening intro I could see just how amazing a horror game would be with these visuals.
Not a good suggestion. We have no idea how feature rich, work friendly or documented their engine is. Its not really the engine, but the textures and shaders that make the Order stand out. Devs under Sony all have their custom engines anyway and they are probably all on par more or less.

Just got this along with Kirby about an hour ago. Might give it a whirl tonight, but most likely will save it for tomorrow when I'm not feeling so exhausted from work.

I'm not expecting huge things, but I think I'll get enough fun out of it to justify the price.

bombshell

Anybody had a downloading screen after some of the chapters? happened to me twice while playing

Digital? You are probably not done downloading the 30 something GB.

In the OS press Option button on the game and go to Information. It will tell you the background download progress.

antitrop

Here's how I would overhaul the controls:

There doesn't need to be two buttons to switch between Primary or Secondary weapons, I would map that as a Toggle to Left on the d-pad.

There doesn't need to be two buttons to switch between Smoke or Frag Grenades, I would map that as a Toggle to Right on the d-pad.

There doesn't need to be a "Directive" button, at all. I would remove that completely and map Blacksight to R3.

L1 would now become the "Throw Grenade" button.

That leaves Up and Down on the d-pad freed up for possibly something else, like turning off your lantern. More use could be made of the touchpad, as well. Especially since Camera Bias is Off by default...

EL CUCO

Wife saw me start it up. She wants to sit through a play through.

She's only ever wanted to sit through 3 other games before. Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2, and TLOU. so far, so good.

I just bought a 4k tv and it won't get here until the 24th unfortunately but I have this game paid for. I'm going to use my willpower to wait to play the game on the better tv I'm getting. I can't think of a better game to test it out.

I am very excited!

Beefy

There doesn't need to be two buttons to switch between Primary or Secondary weapons, I would map that as a Toggle to Left on the d-pad.

There doesn't need to be two buttons to switch between Smoke or Frag Grenades, I would map that as a Toggle to Right on the d-pad.

There doesn't need to be a "Directive" button, at all. I would remove that completely and map Blacksight to R3.

That leaves Up and Down on the d-pad freed up for possibly something else, like turning off your lantern. More use could be made of the touchpad, as well. Especially since Camera Bias is Off by default...

I would maybe use the touchpad as the QTE direction thing instead of R3. It feels so awkward using R3 in that way (well for me anyways).

Saberus

Wife saw me start it up. She wants to sit through a play through.

She's only ever wanted to sit through 3 other games before. Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2, and TLOU. so far, so good.

Same idea here, my wife wants to watch, so I'll be playing on the weekend at some point, I hope i'll enjoy the game as much as some of you have.

I bit the bullet and bought it from us psn.

Sleep time now, hopefully it'll be downloaded in the morning,

With regards to that, I'll be buying Bloodborne the same way.. If is cheaper AND comes out earlier in the US.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
any idea of who could be the guy that saves Galahad with the help of Tesla towards the end? He's credited as "mysterious figure". Was the guy Perceval was secretly speaking to during the first half of the game?

Yeah it was the same guy, and I suspect he might be King Arthur. I mean they seemed to have found the Holy Grail, granting them almost eternal life. And we don't know if Arthur died at all. After all, we still have another person who "according to the legend he fought alonside Arthur". Would be cool.

Turning off the lantern would be useful because of investigation parts! But it could be dangerous because the half breeds could see you easier.

We're getting somewhere here!

King_Moc

Banned
This is just dull. I'm rarely doing much actual gameplay, and when I am it's like the designers thought Gears of War would have been improved by making the enemies act like whack a mole style CoD enemies. I wouldn't mind the cutscenes so much, only they are incredibly boring.

I feel it

This is usually a sign your GPU is dying, but sometimes it can just be due to overheating. I've had it before with my PC GPU's where clocking down the card sorted it. Give the console more ventilation, and hoover up the dust if it's built up in the vents. If that doesn't work, it could just be that your GPU is on its way out. But this is just me making an educated guess, it could always be something else.

It only happens on this game and I have tried a few games to test this...

Argh of all the fucking games this had to happen on.

p3n

Just finished the game on hard in about 7.5 hours. My only immediate complaints would be the cover system's behaviour in confined spaces which sometimes made me stick to the wrong wall at corners and the well thought but not well implemented stealth kill mechanic that sometimes just cancels the button prompt popup when an enemy is turning slightly in front of me.

Yes the game should've been a bit longer. It feels like the first half of an interesting story with diverse characters, a lot of clichés, and a truly incredible setting. At this point it feels like all I can do is wait for a possible sequel.

I think it is the
same guy. Perceval said it was "the old man". So probably an old knight of the order. Maybe even Arthur himself?

darilaho

Banned
Sigh..if 9 lives aren't enough. There goes my Blackwater. :)
1886_1bwsfw.jpg

1886_2w8sid.jpg

fish1886_zpslno43ynx.png

23qwerty

Jesus this game looks amazing. I keep thinking to myself that it's not that impressive because it's obviously prerendered but then I remember.

Beefy

This is just dull. I'm rarely doing much actual gameplay, and when I am it's like the designers thought Gears of War would have been improved by making the enemies act like whack a mole style CoD enemies. I wouldn't mind the cutscenes so much, only they are incredibly boring.

I only found the cutscenes boring as there are far too many. It's like just let me play the game already! The story etc isn't bad they just mess it by not having more gameplay then cutscenes.

Lebron

Cutscenes are nice looking and all, but man are they boring. The game sure is pretty though and the sound is amazing. If future games all look like this, we in for a treat. Looks amazing on the Bravia with the sound system on full.

After the "looks" though, I can see why it earned those reviews. Mediocre game so far. They focused too much on getting the presentation right they forgot everything else.

King_Moc

Banned
I only found the cutscenes boring as there are far too many. It's like just let me play the game already! The story etc isn't bad they just mess it by not having more gameplay then cutscenes.

I just don't understand devoting this much time to a story when there hasn't been much interesting going on. The characters are a bit dull and overly serious too.

Also, WTF at how long it is before they let you run at the start. That was painful.

Beefy

I just don't understand devoting this much time to a story when there hasn't been much interesting going on. The characters are a bit dull and overly serious too.

Also, WTF at how long it is before they let you run at the start. That was painful.

Walking is great, get use to it. Take in the views. ;)

Just got to the beginning of Chapter 2 after an 1 hour and 20 minutes, taking my time, picking up the collectibles and listening to the pedestrians conversations on the street. If someone doesn't do this I can see it being done in an hour or a bit less. Gotta say that I am enjoying it so far. Really like the shootouts so far, the guns are nice and punchy and the melee is freaking brutal at times. The AI on the other hand is pretty mediocre, even on hard and I find it to be just a tad too easy. Also when it comes to the blacksight mechanic, I have to say meh at the moment, cool, but I find myself rather shooting regularly then using that. That will probably change later when enemies start throwing grenades and I can shoot them out the air. Graphically what is there really to say, everyone knows how beautiful this game is. When it comes to the pacing some things feel off. There were times where it would have been more useful to not have a cutscene in place and just allow the player to walk in those areas and example of this is when
You first meet Lafayette and instead of having dialogue occur between the two characters in game while they walk, it goes straight to a cutscene
. It just feels like at those points there really is no need to be a cutscene. Really like the characters so far and the story is intriguing, although that can change as the time goes on. Also I don't understand how people have had issue with the cover system, I'm able to switch cover and get out of cover with ease. I press O to get into cover and then get out of a cover with a flick of the left stick.

And just a note, whoever hates forced walking, do not buy this game, it will seriously piss you off.

I wish there was more then vampires and lycans...please in the sequel go ham with legendary monsters in some kind of eternal war..less human enemies please.

I wish there was a mode past harder as well i clear it out pretty quick

amrod

Finished Chapter 1... Such a slow paced game! So far pretty disappointing game would not recommend it. It looks pretty but that's about it

I can't remember the name but,
There is a part where Galahad asks Lakshmi how they obtained blackwater and she speaks of a knight (I will put the name here when I can find it) who has apparently not been seen since Arthur's search for the Holy Grail.

This "mysterious figure" is implied to be this person and the same person Mallory/Percival is seen speaking to at various times early in the game.

ryseing

I don't really want to spend 60$ on this game, but it looks so pretty :/

Target basically has it for $45 (you get $15 off a $20 PSN card).

That's what I did. Got the last copy they had as well.

BST should have some reasonably priced codes if you want to go digital.

Side note: I purchased this at Target because of the $15 off PS Network Card deal and they screwed up. The ad says Network Card but the deal in store is actually for a PS Plus card. The computer wouldn't accept the Network card deal, only the PS plus card, so I had to go to customer service to get it straightened out. So make sure you guys buying from Target aren't getting screwed. The ad specifically says Network Card so don't let Target fuck you over by only giving you a PS Plus card. I ended up getting the card for free because of my troubles so I basically git the game for $40.

Same thing happened to me. Guy was super understanding because most people had the same issue. Didn't get the card for free but that's fine.

Finished Chapter 1... Such a slow paced game! So far pretty disappointing game would not recommend it. It looks pretty but that's about it

It really is a divisive game, I actually enjoyed the slow start, but I can of course see how others would feel differently. This game is really set in its ways so far.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Was that a
Sherlock Holmes
reference in chapter 10?

Yeah, the Scotland Yard Police Commissioner who Perceval talked to in the first chapter is Arthur Conan Doyle, the creator of the Sherlock Holmes books.
I wasn't joking when I said I giggled a lot with references to the time.

emrober5

I was a little worried with the game reviewing a bit lower than I expected, but wow I am enjoying it. Just got past the
first elder encounter
in chapter 4.

This game is fantastic.

Top Bottom