• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Dust Thread

Well youre the worst poster ever, so you belong in this thread

Demi: I get him down to 3 then he spams the 100 homing lasers and his eye barely opens

Rorschach

blank.gif

demi

MrAngryFace said:

Demi: I get him down to 3 then he spams the 100 homing lasers and his eye barely opens

I used Rock Toss and Psycho Sniper, or Bullet of Fire. It took me a few times myself, I don't know how to 100% dodge the lasers, I just ran like a tard and used Healing Waters.

tenchir

MrAngryFace said:

I avoided the majority of them by running toward the edge and all the way to the side of it..... Or you can jump over the edge and only lose 3 life.......

Psycho Sniper and Super Ki Bullet kill him easily.

Also, try to get a weak projectile that takes up 0 or 1 points to take out those missles. That way you can preserve almost all of your health for when he does that.

Dead

well not really...yet
gah thought id get a few games in tonight, but looks like im done for the night, hopefully tommorow more Dust :(

novery

Rail Gun is your friend. It's a super fast medium range attack fast enough to nail the eyeball before it shuts.

demi

No trial card. I'll give you my Halo 2 trial if you plan on playing online.

Ends 3/31 so act fast!

My free year is up soon in April, and another $50 won't hurt the wallet.

Demi: I just beat him by running around the tree over and over, he is FAST tho and I was using dash, but thats pretty much all there is to it.

Bebpo

Banned
I suck at online so I need some pointers:

--What's a good way to survive against sword people? Especially when they have skills that bind you. I know dashing/jumping works, but if a dash/jump/evade skill hasn't come up yet and a bind/sword guy gets near me...I've lost the round. Bind -> sword slash -> get up and run 2-3 feet -> Bind -> sword slash, repeat... I can't seem to dodge anything with the basic jump/roll.

--Now flip the question around the other way, what's a good way to survive against long distance laser attackers. One time I was on the highway map and the other guy started far far away and he just kept shooting this double beam thingy at me non-stop. I could use a shield but then it's like: shield -> move 2 feet -> shield -> move 2 feet -> etc... and it takes forever to get near him, then I get knocked off the map and I'm back where I started.

--What's a good way to get the status/interesting cards? I just keep buying junk packs and all I get are basic attack/defense skills, nothing interesting. Should I play 1p to get skills? (it seems to take a long time to get money online).

--Is there anyway to know what is hitting you? Like if your doing real good against some guy and then bam! he hits you once and it does 20 damage killing you instantely. It's kinda frustrating not knowing wtf just happened and how you just died in 1 hit.

thanks,

demi

--What's a good way to survive against sword people? Especially when they have skills that bind you. I know dashing/jumping works, but if a dash/jump/evade skill hasn't come up yet and a bind/sword guy gets near me...I've lost the round. Bind -> sword slash -> get up and run 2-3 feet -> Bind -> sword slash, repeat... I can't seem to dodge anything with the basic jump/roll.

--Now flip the question around the other way, what's a good way to survive against long distance laser attackers. One time I was on the highway map and the other guy started far far away and he just kept shooting this double beam thingy at me non-stop. I could use a shield but then it's like: shield -> move 2 feet -> shield -> move 2 feet -> etc... and it takes forever to get near him, then I get knocked off the map and I'm back where I started.

I fucking hate that shit. Phantom Dust is luck of the draw, basically. If he/she gets their good skills before you, you might as well kiss your ass goodbye.

And yeah you probably should play 1 player to get some better skills, or arsenal cases (1 school, 3 school).

Bebpo

Banned
Is it just me or does online suck in all modes except 1 on 1? (exception is 2 on 2 when you actually have a partner who you can communicate with). 1 on 1 is awesome GoTY stuff and all that. Tons of strategy involved and you can get some great matches. 3 person battle royale seems all kinds of fucked up as you just gotta hope your not the one guy that the other two will be double-teaming. If you have 2 people firing at you non-stop it's kinda not cool. Battle royale 4 player is an extension of that. Sure ideally you could have 2 matches of 1 on 1 happening at the same time, but usually your getting double or triple teamed. It's hard to do anything about the guy on the balcony behind you firing fireballs at your ass while your concentrating on dodging the sword guy in front of you.

Don't get me wrong, I really dig the 1 on 1 online and even the SP is pretty nice. But I'm just finding everything else frustrating online.

Other, more experienced players here can help you a lot more than I, but I'll try to give some help...

Bebpo said:

What kind of bind attack do they use on you? If you're getting bound by a paralyze barrier (where you are paralyzed for a few seconds if you hit their special barrier), you can try using a short melee-ranged skill to feign and they will try to defend...then you hit them. Most melee/short range attacks miss a lot when you run at them to either side and jump/dash past them. Timing is kinda tough depending on the attack. I like using brush-type defenses that you have to time very carefully to knock away attacks, especially short-range stuff.

Use a paralyze barrier or a glacial barrier to defend and then they get stuck or are unable to use skills for a few seconds. Thankfully, on most of the big, open maps, there are plenty of ways to just jump down to another level or get behind some of the more annoying optical stuff.

novery

Bebpo said:
Is there anyway to know what is hitting you? Like if your doing real good against some guy and then bam! he hits you once and it does 20 damage killing you instantely. It's kinda frustrating not knowing wtf just happened and how you just died in 1 hit.

The name of every attack that nails you should flash on the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

Also, I'd recommend playing through 1P before getting serious with online play. There's a ton of skills you can only unlock by playing through single player.

Glad to see you're playing, Bebpo. Add me if you get a chance: Gamertag = rp.

IJoel

Bebpo said:

There are 3 ways to really avoid this:
1. You have a short range attack you could use and gain the upper hand. Thing is that you should know when someone's coming with a short range attack, as they will 'rush' you. As the player approaches you, if you have medium/long/all range spells, now it's the time to use them, otherwise, you could wait for them and try to attack them first with a short range attack.

2. Defensive skills: My favorite defensive skill is the one that blocks and freezes your opponent's buttons for some seconds. This will leave your opponent wide open for an attack. There are also some defensive skills that erase short range skills.

3. Dodging: You can either use levitate/jump/dash skills or simply move/jump at the right time. It takes a lot of practice, but short range attacks can be dodged without use of any skill. Of course, the attacker will most likely continue to rush you, but they can definitely be evaded. MAF is pretty good at this, the bastard. :p

How to deal with this really comes with experience playing the game. I think I was killed once by that evil Drinky with a long distance laser attack. Still, this is one of those rare occasions. To deal with this you have to use the environment against them. For instance, moving closer to an obstacle, like the tree in the middle of the Palace stage, or staying behind the stairs in that same level. Of course, you'll be doing this while appropiately moving and making it so that your body is completely covered by the structure. Keep doing this, until you have a defensive skill to use against it. Then, start moving towards the attacker. You should be able to close in on the attacker by moving forward and defending against the attack.

--What's a good way to get the status/interesting cards? I just keep buying junk packs and all I get are basic attack/defense skills, nothing interesting. Should I play 1p to get skills? (it seems to take a long time to get money online).

Play single player and get credits. Get junk packs, and every now and then check the skill shop. You should be able to find skills there. You can also buy skills online and they are different than those offline. Every offline mission will give you at the very least 500 credits (at chapter 5 I'm getting 900 credits per mission.) The game, I believe, has more than 100 missions to complete.

--Is there anyway to know what is hitting you? Like if your doing real good against some guy and then bam! he hits you once and it does 20 damage killing you instantely. It's kinda frustrating not knowing wtf just happened and how you just died in 1 hit.

thanks,

Nope. Just ask the person. Not much you can do about it. The GAF bunch that play frequently (we're addicted... we've put about 15 hours online :p) share what they use when asked. MAF wanted to keep for himself the super duper OCTOLASER skill. :p

Edit: Corrected by novery. Hmm.. interesting, I hadn't noticed that at all, and have played the game for more than 25 hours.

Azih

Beware of Faith Skills, they do insane damage. Also Aura Backflow and Compressor. Man Compressor can be abused like CRAZY.

Possible strats against melle.

One get decent defensive skills. You can turn away bind attacks and skills like Iron Skin/Iron Fortress will also erase the peky melle attack. Also Glacial Wall will freeze the sucker for a few secons.

Second get a melle attack of your own. Psycho Knife for example comes out real fast and will knock the sucker out if he's using a slower sword slash. Works especially well if the guy doesn't expect you to melle right back.

Mine Attacks, these explode around you and are GREAT at countering swords. Anybody who uses a lot of melle is probably good at dodging swords as well but won't be well equipped to avoid the Area of Effect of a mine attack.

Bebpo

Banned
novery said:
The name of every attack that nails you should flash on the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

Sadly my Japanese reading speed can't keep up with the 1-2 sec flashes. Not too mention I don't really know the kanji names of skills except the ones in my arsenal ^^;

Also, I'd recommend playing through 1P before getting serious with online play. There's a ton of skills you can only unlock by playing through single player.

Hmm, will do. I noticed in the the shop tutorial the shop had all kinds of junk packs. But at this point offline or online I can only buy junk packs 1/2. Do you have to get farther in single player to unlock the higher packs which I would presume hold the more interesting skills? That would explain why even after buying 10-20 junk packs 1/2 I keep getting the same skills and have no environment/status upgrade/downgrade skills.

Glad to see you're playing, Bebpo. Add me if you get a chance: Gamertag = rp.

Sure thing. Although after spending all night playing PD online (and a little offline), I'm a little worried about it becoming an addiction and eating up all my free time ^^;

Azih

All Junk Packs are random, once you get higher up in single player you can just buy more of them in one go.

Tain

Pain in the ass for me, too. But when he pulls out reflect laser, the best thing to do is jump and take a hit, which knocks you down. One damage instead of, uh, six?

And just wait until you see the final boss.

I actually favor Dash over most shield skills, although I keep a few Walls of Fire around just CUZ. Instead of getting pinned down in a "they fire, you shield" loop, dashing USUALLY avoids the hit and puts you in a better position strategically. Don't discount teleportation skills, either, especially in those matches where the fuckers gang up on you for being a Nintendogs hater!

IJoel

A list of the gamer tags for the gaffers with the game:

GA Nick / Gamer Tag
------------------------
6.8 / SunburnMan
Apharmd Battler / Apharmd Battler
Azih / Azih
Bebpo / BepboJP
Brandon F / No Depth
BuddyC / IcedPez
chespace / CheXBN
Dave Long / Dave Long
Dead / DeadCo
demi / demifish
Drinky Crow/Castellan GAF
Drohne / Drohne
Dsal / Dsal
Ferny84 / Ferny84
FrenchMovieTheme / FrenchMov
Gattsu25 / Wakune
IJoel / IJoel
Ironclad_Ninja / Ironclad Ninja
jedimike / jedimike
MightyHedgehog / MightyHedgehog
Minotauro / Minotoro
MrAngryFace / GAF MAF
Mr. Lemming / Sicher
Musashi Wins!/caninusrule
novery / rp
Prine/Prine
Redbeard/Confidence Man
Rodriguez/Phantom Goal
Saurus / Saurus
segatavis / MarshmallowPeep
Sumidor / TangoTango
Sysgen / Sysgen
Taibhse / Psimorph
Tain / KNTain
Truelize / Truelize
Wario64 / Wario64
Wulfer / Wulfer
Yusaku / UnbornApple

I am sure I've missed quite a few. I know some other gamer tags, but not sure whether they'd want to display them. In any case, just include it in a reply if not in the list and I'll update the list.

Actually, novery or a mod could edit the original post and add the list.

I'm surprised there are this many gaffers with the game.

PHANTOM DUST GOTY! :p

Redbeard

Banned
Redbeard/Confidence Man

After being stuck for days I finally passed lvl 6. That fucking boss battle was frustrating as hell, I finally just cheaped out and used killer satellite the whole time.

Mabye now I can unlock some of those damn faith attacks that constantly kick my ass online. What's the one called that's like Crawlers only it's not long-range? And the one that shoots these slow, purple shots?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Ijoel: Someone should paste that list to the first post for easier reference. Also just a couple I noticed that should be added.

-Musashi Wins!/caninusrule
-Rodriguez/Phantom Goal
-Drinky Crow/Castellan GAF
-Prine/Prine

Im usually on at night around 10pm for certain. Ill be on for a very short time tonight, VERY short time.

My usual crew = Ijoel, BuddyC,Dave Long, Drinky Crow

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
For the lasers I just put up a cheap anti-pierce shelter shell thingy. Forgot its name, but it worked quite well. Since you know when he's about to use the laser, you can let some aura build up and then hit the shield twice if you need to.

Just lobbed a bunch of parabola attacks and it worked eventually.

BioFan

it sure was hard but I'm loving it...:)

I just ran away when he uses the laser thing...took me at least 20 tries to finally know how to beat him.

demi

Holy fuck this match with the neverending floating eyeballs is FUCK ANNOYING because of their slow movement skills. FUCK ANNOYING and Chunky is the worst AI ever

edit: no wait i beat it, moving on

Dave Long

Banned
MAF, still shooting for 10PM again? I'm going to watch the last part of the first Firefly episode first but I will be on after that for sure.

Who else is playing tonight? I don't have a lot of you folks on my friends list so hopefully no one's averse to me adding a pile of names tonight? The Qt3 crowd has already moved onto the next shiny object while GAF always seems more committed to a single game for a lot longer.

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
demi said:
Holy fuck this match with the neverending floating eyeballs is FUCK ANNOYING because of their slow movement skills. FUCK ANNOYING and Chunky is the worst AI ever

edit: no wait i beat it, moving on

Chunky is a moron. I forget which mission it was, but when I was paired with him on Highway he just cowered in a corner while both the other guys came straight at me. Thanks for nothing Chunky.

BuddyC

Looks like another night without Phatom Dust :(

Silly friends, this is why I live in a different town. I will not have you distracting me from what is truly important.

I'll be on, for sure, Tuesday night.

Dave Long

Banned
I've got three aresenals now. The first one hasn't changed much from when I built it, and the second is an Optical/Ki thing that seems to have a lot of potential. I'm still building the third.

Also, never underestimate the usefulness of cheap 1 or 2 damage attacks. I nearly beat IJoel last night in one match by just Hyperkicking him to death with my max 4 aura, using Surprise Attack to get to him and then just hammering on him while he waited for skills and aura.

It's the old Magic the Gathering thing where you build a deck with weak creatures that require little mana to cast. You can nickel and dime people to death before they get any of their really jamming skills, and even if you don't, as long as you've got some heavier firepower in your arsenal, you can break it off and go back to power up.

demi

Chapter 5 get!

Edgar was a retard in that battle, he kept on flipping off the edge! Haha, only lost about 1 HP.

manngc

Based on all the good word of mouth (and the $20 price tag), I went ahead and ordered it from newegg. I should have it be the end of the week. So this weekend be on the look out for gamertag: manngc
:)

Mann

Top Bottom