• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Dust Thread

demi

Man, I can't play this for long periods. How do you do it? After those 3-4 battles the urge to play just left. It's like replaying the same thing over and over and over and over

edit: and over and over and over and over

guess i'm not much of a multiplayer gamer

Sumidor

sumamabitch. I keep getting the dirty disc error. :( no PD for me until I get a new one, or it stops being retarded and works right.

I dunno. I lose like a mofo, and I can still keep playing. Had fun with MISTER ANGRY FAIRY RING/CANADA MAN/IJOEL MCRUNSALOT tonight!

Bebpo

Banned
demi said:
Man, I can't play this for long periods. How do you do it? After those 3-4 battles the urge to play just left. It's like replaying the same thing over and over and over and over

edit: and over and over and over and over

guess i'm not much of a multiplayer gamer

I'm pretty much the same. I usually get bored of multiplayer xbox real quick (with PC games I go on for hours, not sure what the difference is). But I find that even if I lose 10+ matches in a row in PD as long as they are good intense matches where I feel it could've gone either way I enjoy it and keep on playing. But then again if I get fucked-from-3-directions-and-die-in-the-first-20-secs several matches in a row I kinda lose interest in playing for a bit.

Bebpo

Banned
wait, wtf!?! If you put your dashboard in english it's the US VERSION !?! I had figured it would just change the story text/voices. I can't believe all the card names and descriptions are in english. What the heck did Majesico do for a couple of months? Make the instruction manual?

Weee, english is cool :)

Prine

Banned
Jesus christ this game fucking owns. HAvent played anything like this before!

Still on the first chapter atm

manngc

Drinky,
I really doubt this game will be my brother's type. Although, I didn't think he would enjoy MG Acid either (granted the theme is extremely appealing to him, being an MG and all). I'll show it to him when I comes back into town...and if I like it. :)

Mann

Dave Long

Banned
Crap. It never occurred to me that 10PM for you guys is really 1AM for me. I'll keep that in mind next time.

I had a blast with Brandon F/No Depth and Azih around 11PM Eastern time, though!

IJoel

Man, it really sucks that you can only have 4 people in a room. I'd be awesome if you could do tournaments and hold up to 16 people in a room and 4 simultaneous matches, and then hold a final match with the winners. Or something like that... and the rest of the people would be able to spectate.

Redbeard

Banned
Man, I got my fifth or sixth rare skill online, and it's one I already had. If anyone's got a duplicate rare skill or just one they don't use and they want to swap for a Throttle Blaster let me know.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yea, those matches we had last night Dave/Azih reinforced how much learning I still have to do in this game. Surprise Attacks + Muramasa's made me a constant spectator. I think it's time I really buckle down with the single player and build a deck.

Glad we lucked out with some pretty friendly and knowledgeable strangers to play with as well. You had some very tight duels with that one guy...forget the name.

PS: Dave, I'd like to read your DW5/Kessen 3 reviews when they go up.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'll try, though I may not be able to play until around 10-11 Eastern. (What is that 6AM for you? :))

Prine

Banned
Brandon F said:
I'll try, though I may not be able to play until around 10-11 Eastern. (What is that 6AM for you? :))

page2.jpg

"Get the fuck otta hiyyyyyyyre!!"

rastex

Banned
I can FINALLY get in on this action, so if any of you guys are up for some late night matches let me know. I'm actually pretty crappy as I got schooled when I played a few matches online. Playing against the computer is totally different, I gotta retool my arsenal bigtime for multiplayer. I'm having a lot of trouble connecting melee attacks, as in people just run around and dodge them pretty easily, any tips on that?

Oh, and one skill that I find pretty sweet is fusion, it averages out the health between you and whoever it hits. So if you get low then hit a guy with full health you'll both be in the 10 range which evens things up very nicely.

Dave Long

Banned
Brandon F said:
Yea, those matches we had last night Dave/Azih reinforced how much learning I still have to do in this game. Surprise Attacks + Muramasa's made me a constant spectator. I think it's time I really buckle down with the single player and build a deck.

Glad we lucked out with some pretty friendly and knowledgeable strangers to play with as well. You had some very tight duels with that one guy...forget the name.

PS: Dave, I'd like to read your DW5/Kessen 3 reviews when they go up.

Surprise Attack is one of my favorites now. You can nickel and dime people to death at the beginning of the match if you have it. You only need like three or four aura particles and a sword, knife or kick that uses 2-3 aura. It costs three to use Surprise Attack, you wait for aura to resupply for each attack and just keep the pressure on. If your opponent gets something that can defend it, you run and beef up your aura and arsenal again only to come back later with a second (or third) Surprise Attack. I've also experimented with Return in the same deck. That lets you really hit and run because Surprise gets you to the guy you want to fight and then Return takes you right back to your aura. That worked for me a few times.

Because we were doing Quick game type, that Muramasa Blade was available. I don't have one of those in my regular aresenals (I have three now). But I do have a deck built around the Surprise Attack thing. It still needs a bit of tweaking, but it's a fun one to use. The strangers we played with were good guys. So far I've been mostly pleased with online strangers in PD. Only the douche that MAF, IJoel and I were playing with on Sunday night and another guy who said nothing for about 30 minutes and then called everyone GAY a million times have really annoyed me.

"You always target me, dude. It's because I have the highest rank. That's what always happens. Knock it off Joel!"

DW5 and Kessen 3 reviews will be in the CGM print mag. It's a combo thing with both in one 700 word article. Not sure of newsstand date, but I'll PM you with more info.

Also! It's hard to get outright WINS in this game, which I like. Even with an arsenal that I lose with a few times, I'll turn around and just totally wail on people in a later match and vice versa. Battle Royale is fun because you end up with lots of different variations on the fights. I usually go after either the closest guy or the guy farthest from me if using Surprise Attack.

ManaByte

Tried to pick this up today, but the Best Buy where I go is run by a guy who HATES Microsoft with a passion so he usually holds Xbox versions of games in the back for up to two weeks after release.

Alex

I was able to nab it at EB, played into chapter 2 so far. Guess I'll play further since Charter decided to wig out and my ping is upwards of 2500+ at the moment. Meh.

BuddyC

Good games tonight demi, though I'm pretty sure our chatter scared the other players. I'd love to play more, but this headache is just too much. Hopefully I start feeling better soon :(

demi

BuddyC said:
Good games tonight demi, though I'm pretty sure our chatter scared the other players. I'd love to play more, but this headache is just too much. Hopefully I start feeling better soon :(

Honestly that was the best part of playing! Random chatter rocks.

Alex

Yup, thanks again for that. I'll register when my ISP fixes their junk, hard enough to even load GAF atm, would be impossible to fudge around with XBL.

IJoel

Bah! No one to play online with tonight. I guess it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

I did however buy many skills tonight. My grand total is at 251 skills.

Dave Long

Banned
I'll be playing again tonight and probably later into the wee hours so hopefully I can hook up with some of you left coast guys again.

Good games last night Confidence Man/Redbeard. I had played against GRYM REAPER before. That guy's a total stoner but he's cool. Also funny to listen to since he's obviously out of his mind while playing. I don't know who that other dude was who thought he knew me. I don't think I've ever seen him before.

Tain

I had played against GRYM REAPER before. That guy's a total stoner but he's cool.

Huh, me and some TNL folks played against him last night. He is cool.

I'm only on my first 30 wins. A friend of mine has been playing like a beast; he's just over 120.

I'm still having a hell of a time with the last
Know and Guard mission. I'm assuming the one after this, the last mission in the game for me, will be easier.

Also, there's some cool stuff on http://xboxphreaker.com/skills.htm . Apparently, there's evidence of an unfinished level on the Phantom Dust DVD named
Edgar's Dream
and Silent Lane was supposed to have children running around on it. Also, one of the XBL skills, Unison, does absolutely nothing. Strange.

Redbeard

Banned
Dave Long said:
I'll be playing again tonight and probably later into the wee hours so hopefully I can hook up with some of you left coast guys again.

Good games last night Confidence Man/Redbeard. I had played against GRYM REAPER before. That guy's a total stoner but he's cool. Also funny to listen to since he's obviously out of his mind while playing. I don't know who that other dude was who thought he knew me. I don't think I've ever seen him before.

Yeah, good games.

That guy was pretty funny. I kept thinking of PA comics whenever he spoke. :lol

IJoel

MrAngryFace said:
Ill be playing tonight around 10pm PST.

I need victims for my tweaked aggressive arsenal.

I also need to create an environmental based arsenal. Man, wait until you get to the environmental skill missions. It can just completely screw everyone else.

Oh, and I got the ability to buy 3 school skills. The arsenal case for that costs 10000 credits though. I'll need to spam easy missions to get more moolah.

Anyway, I hope to play tonight.

Alex

Woo, thanks to Demi I managed to get back on XBL.

GT: Garliage

I'll be on tonight, I just started Chapter 3 in single, so I just now got access to making Arsenels.

Please don't kill me. :(

IJoel

demi said:
CHAPTER 5 BOSS GIMME TEH INFO! :*(

1. Use a defensive spell to defend against his attacks.
2. You'll notice it opens some sort of mouth to attack you. Just before he does this, attack him. The point is to hit this "exposed" area. If you time it right, you can manage 2 hits right before he hits you.
3. Hide behind the stairs right after attacking him, to avoid his next fire attacks.
4. Rinse and repeat.

demi

Cool, wasn't that hard. :)

Don't even need defense skills really for that guy! I just used Rock Toss and Psycho Sniper.

IJoel

demi said:
Cool, wasn't that hard. :)

Don't even need defense skills really for that guy! I just used Rock Toss and Psycho Sniper.

Yeah, it was definitely the easiest boss, at least so far.

demi

Is that the chapter 6 boss? Or are you talking about the Gyne Sisters, because those bitches are nothing!

p.s. I'm online right now so invite me if you want to get some wins!

Top Bottom