• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice For All Official Thread

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
OMG. I love Pearl. Too adorable.

<3 <3

Edit - Oh shit.

Magatama? Psyche-Locks?
This is going to be awesome, isn't it?

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
AniHawk said:
I chose to declare Matt guilty before Franziska entered the court room. I'm not sure if it happened in a different way if you said he was not guilty.

Nope. Same thing either way.

God, the pop-culture references....

Maya: "You know monkeys live life above the rim."

Phoenix: "...."

Phoenix: "Wait, so you're telling me you believe that monkey has the proverbial "game?""

Maya: "Of course, that monkey doesn't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!"

And I want that
Steel Samurai
ringtone!

Zyid said:
What happened to you man? Assuming you're the same BuddyC I used to know on the PA forums, you never struck me as the "shoot first ask questions later" kind of guy. Editing the pictures out and clarifying what you define as a spoiler would have sufficed.

I hate spoilers as much as the next player (you'll note that I used tags to black out the REAL spoiler in that post), but what was in those pictures isn't one. This is the kind of thing you'd find on the box itself, even if you did avoid all media. For instance Franziska von Karma is treated as a surprise in Justice For All, but her face, name, and gender are all revealed on the game box itself. And she doesn't even show up until
the second case

Who you play as in the first frigging case is not a spoiler. It's the kind of thing used to drum up anticipation for the game, which was my intention. I think you can trust my motives after all the time I spent on those sigs to get PW:AA elected as G&T GOTY. And you can bet that Capcom will be doing the same thing as well. If what was in those pictures is not revealed by Capcom themselves in some way before the US release of GS3, feel free to ban me again for as long as you like.

And if you're not the same BuddyC, then ignore all of the above.

I agree with this man. This information is elementary and it's laughable to consider official media to be too spoiler-heavy. I say "official media" in the traditional sense, as PW3 media hasn't been released yet. But when it does, this man will be right.

Mejilan

Kureishima said:
I agree with this man. This information is elementary and it's laughable to consider official media to be too spoiler-heavy. I say "official media" in the traditional sense, as PW3 media hasn't been released yet. But when it does, this man will be right.

Yeah, he'll be right in a completely different scenario... one that involves posting legitimate press pics (which don't yet exist) in a relevant thread... such as an official PW3 thread.

Until then, those pics are spoilers, and not giving us the option of choosing to see them was bad form.

Firestorm

Just finished the game.
Maya was right,
I said 'wow'

So for me, it ranks: AA1 Case 4 > AA1 Case 5 > AA2 Case 4 > AA2 Case 2 > AA1 Case 2 > AA1 Case 3 > AA2 Case 3 > AA1 Case 1 > AA2 Case 2

Firestorm said:
Just finished the game.
Maya was right,
I said 'wow'

So for me, it ranks: AA1 Case 4 > AA1 Case 5 > AA2 Case 4 > AA2 Case 2 > AA1 Case 2 > AA1 Case 3 > AA2 Case 3 > AA1 Case 1 > AA2 Case 2

Going to have to respectfully and whole-heartedly disagree. Case 4 in JFA is leaps and bounds better than everything in AA1.

Mejilan said:
Yeah, he'll be right in a completely different scenario... one that involves posting legitimate press pics (which don't yet exist) in a relevant thread... such as an official PW3 thread.

Until then, those pics are spoilers, and not giving us the option of choosing to see them was bad form.

But this just isn't the case. It's not going to be a "spoiler". It's the FIRST CASE. It's going to be touted by CAPCOM. You fellows are getting worked up over very little here, that much is apparent.

And furthermore, it doesn't change in status. It's not a "spoiler now" and "not a spoiler later". It's one or the other.

Trust me, I'm an anti-spoiler whore, but this isn't one of them.

AniHawk

Hmm...

AA2 Case 4 >>>>>>> AA1 Case 4 >>> AA1 Case 5 > AA1 Case 2 > AA2 Case 2 > AA2 Case 3 > AA1 Case 3 > AA1 Case 1 > AA2 Case 2

Kureishima said:
But this just isn't the case. It's not going to be a "spoiler". It's the FIRST CASE. It's going to be touted by CAPCOM. You fellows are getting worked up over very little here, that much is apparent.

And furthermore, it doesn't change in status. It's not a "spoiler now" and "not a spoiler later". It's one or the other.

No. There are those people who will bar themselves from everything concerning the game, and in a story-driven story like PW, even the first case itself is a spoiler (not to mention the twist of
playing as Mia
).

Seriously, I don't care about spoilers or not, but that was just in bad form.

Mejilan

Kureishima said:

Of course spoiler status changes. It's completely subjective. To someone who hasn't played a game, technically EVERYTHING is a spoiler. To someone who's beaten a game, practically nothing's a spoiler.

There really are 4 points here:
1) PW3 isn't out in English, so no one here has played it. (Thus, direct-linked images are spoilers)
2) You don't post ANY revealing info in an official thread about that game's direct sequel, not without spoiler tags, anyway. Or, in the case of pictures, indirect linking. It's common sense.
3) If a mod says it's a spoiler, and bans you for posting it, it's a spoiler.
4) Classic adventure games are pretty damn rare, and typically story-intensive. Thus, people are liable to be extra-spoiler-sensitive. Err on the side of caution and use freakin' common sense, if you're not going to consider my prior points (particularly #2)!

Edit - Added a 4th point.

Firestorm

Vyse The Legend said:
Going to have to respectfully and whole-heartedly disagree. Case 4 in JFA is leaps and bounds better than everything in AA1.

Yeah, I know most people here think Case 4 in JFA is awesome awesome but I'm a sucker for stuff that goes deep into the main characters' storylines. And Case 4 in AA was overflowing with that. But I really did like
the whole "oh shit your client really is guilty" and the whole thing that went along with that
in case 4 of AA2 though.

Mejilan said:
Of course spoiler status changes. It's completely subjective. To someone who hasn't played a game, technically EVERYTHING is a spoiler. To someone who's beaten a game, practically nothing's a spoiler.

There really are 4 points here:
1) PW3 isn't out in English, so no one here has played it. (Thus, direct-linked images are spoilers)
2) You don't post ANY revealing info in an official thread about that game's direct sequel, not without spoiler tags, anyway. Or, in the case of pictures, indirect linking. It's common sense.
3) If a mod says it's a spoiler, and bans you for posting it, it's a spoiler.
4) Classic adventure games are pretty damn rare, and typically story-intensive. Thus, people are liable to be extra-spoiler-sensitive. Err on the side of caution and use freakin' common sense, if you're not going to consider my prior points (particularly #2)!

Edit - Added a 4th point.

Trust me, I'm a big fan of classic adventure games. I'd die for a Quest for Glory sequel (regardless of the fact the series is "finished"). Or at least maybe a port to DS.. Man. Rock.

Honestly, I disagree with several of your points.

IE: 1. This one fails. Just because you have the assumption that no one has played it doesn't make that assumption correct.

2. I could agree that spoiler tags or indirect should have been utilized, but I wouldn't react so harshly to something that is .. not a spoiler.

3. We all know those with power always have the right agenda. Who needs to make decisions for themselves when someone else can do it for you? This is the worst point in your whole post.

4. Me likes adventure games, too. :)

Firestorm said:
Yeah, I know most people here think Case 4 in JFA is awesome awesome but I'm a sucker for stuff that goes deep into the main characters' storylines. And Case 4 in AA was overflowing with that. But I really did like
the whole "oh shit your client really is guilty" and the whole thing that went along with that
in case 4 of AA2 though.
I'd agree, that case gave so much insight into the characters of the series. Plus (thoughts on PWAA Case 4)
the linking of the primary case and DL-6 was incredible and the motive, murderer, and way the crime happened for DL-6 was excellent. It also was very hard to tell if Edgeworth was at fault due to an accident or not. Sure JfA's true murderer for Case 4 wasn't upfront knowledge but the murder itself was very plain. Case 2 in JfA came closer IMO of having that "perfect truth."

Mejilan

Kureishima said:
1. This one fails. Just because you have the assumption that no one has played it doesn't make that assumption correct.

2. I could agree that spoiler tags or indirect should have been utilized, but I wouldn't react so harshly to something that is .. not a spoiler.

3. We all know those with power always have the right agenda. Who needs to make decisions for themselves when someone else can do it for you? This is the worst point in your whole post.

4. Me likes adventure games, too. :)

1) No one COULD have played it in English. The game will be new to EVERYONE. This isn't a random MGS2 OMG RAIDEN!! situation, 5 years after the fact. Everything is potentially spoilerish. And again, this, of all threads, is not where you openly/directly post those kind of info and images. Spoiler tags and indirect image links exist for a reason.

2) When a mod and a bunch of fans cry spoiler, it's a spoiler.

3) In this, BuddyC is untouchable. Zyid ****ed up.

Mejilan

OBJECTION!!

*PW1 advantage court theme*

They brought it back!! (even if only for a cutscene...)

Edit - Holy!

Von Karma is awesome!!!

Mejilan said:
1) No one COULD have played it in English. The game will be new to EVERYONE. This isn't a random MGS2 OMG RAIDEN!! situation, 5 years after the fact. Everything is potentially spoilerish. And again, this, of all threads, is not where you openly/directly post those kind of info and images. Spoiler tags and indirect image links exist for a reason.

2) When a mod and a bunch of fans cry spoiler, it's a spoiler.

3) In this, BuddyC is untouchable. Zyid ****ed up.

1) Your statement wasn't that no one has played it IN English, but rather the clever reasoning of "it's not out in ENGLISH, THUS no one HERE has played it". These two statements are completely different, I hope you realize this. While the former is correct, the latter is what you actually said.

2) I think you pinned the tail on the donkey with the key word "cry".

3) Untouchable? I'm really not against BuddyC here. It's your handling of the situation I disagree with.

Drakken

It's really quite simple.

Screens from a sequel to the game this thread is about (a game that 95%+ of people here have not played) are considered spoilers by most people.

Ta-da!

It's perfectly fine if someone wants to post them, but that should be done in a separate thread for PW3 or by using spoiler tags in this thread (and making it clear that anyone highlighting will see PW3 content).

Drakken said:
It's really quite simple.

Screens from a sequel to the game this thread is about (a game that 95%+ of people here have not played) are considered spoilers by most people.

Ta-da!

It's perfectly fine if someone wants to post them, but that should be done in a separate thread for PW3 or by using spoiler tags in this thread (and making it clear that anyone highlighting will see PW3 content).

I understand your thought process, but this is akin to thinking the new art style change from Xenosaga to Xenosaga Episode II is a "spoiler". It's something very irrelevant to the state of affairs I'd say.

If CAPCOM doesn't release this information all over the box, screen shots, and etc I'll drop another 40" tv on my right foot.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Kureishima said:
I understand your thought process, but this is akin to thinking the new art style change from Xenosaga to Xenosaga Episode II is a "spoiler". It's something very irrelevant to the state of affairs I'd say.

If CAPCOM doesn't release this information all over the box, screen shots, and etc I'll drop another 40" tv on my right foot.

Point is, there was shit in this thread that didn't belong for people who 1.) may not even have finished Justice for All and 2.) may not wish to know about anything until PW3 comes out. They were angry about it, and Zyid was unlucky that BuddyC was one of them. Was the banning a tad excessive? Maybe. But it was a short one and I personally thought it was a reasonable thing to do at the time (and still do).

Drakken

Kureishima said:

It's more than just an art style change; it's (according to what was said) screens showing who you play as in the first case (and other characters, I would imagine). Seeing characters from the first case of the next game is certainly more spoiler-ish than seeing an art style change. Some people like total surprise.

And even if you still don't consider character revelations a spoiler, that's just your personal preference, and one not shared by the majority.

Anyway, there's really no point continuing this. As long as PW3 stuff stays in its own thread (or spoilered with a warning), both sides should be happy.

Drakken said:
It's more than just an art style change; it's (according to what was said) screens showing who you play as in the first case (and other characters, I would imagine). Seeing characters from the first case of the next game is certainly more spoiler-ish than seeing an art style change. Some people like total surprise.

And even if you still don't consider character revelations a spoiler, that's just your personal preference, and one not shared by the majority.

Anyway, there's really no point continuing this. As long as PW3 stuff stays in its own thread (or spoilered with a warning), both sides should be happy.

I would consider it a huge spoiler..

... if it wasn't located within the first twenty minutes of the game. But it is.

Kureishima said:
I would consider it a huge spoiler..

... if it wasn't located within the first twenty minutes of the game. But it is.

Guess what. The big twist in MGS2 occurs within the first hour or so of the game. Does that make it any less a huge, massive spoiler for someone who hadn't played it (during the time of the game's release or just prior to it; obviously now, it is widely-known)? No, it doesn't. Your logic fails on many levels.

Vyse The Legend said:
Guess what. The big twist in MGS2 occurs within the first hour or so of the game. Does that make it any less a huge, massive spoiler for someone who hadn't played it (during the time of the game's release or just prior to it; obviously now, it is widely-known)? No, it doesn't. Your logic fails on many levels.

I figured this was going to come up. However, you must understand that Kojima went to great lengths to make sure everyone was deceived in regards to MGS2. Wereas Konami didn't print screen shots, edited content, and DEFINITELY didn't put things like this on the box, CAPCOM will do all of these things.

And my logic fails where? Your response is the one that is half baked.

Kureishima said:
I figured this was going to come up. However, you must understand that Kojima went to great lengths to make sure everyone was deceived in regards to MGS2. Wereas Konami didn't print screen shots, edited content, and DEFINITELY didn't put things like this on the box, CAPCOM will do all of these things.

And my logic fails where? Your response is the one that is half baked.

What the ****, this is not the GS3 thread. I can't believe you're arguing that GS3 being spoiled in a PWAAJfA does not constitute "spoiling". Can't we assume that if people became offended by the spoiler, that they didn't know and didn't WANT to know?

A Link to the Snitch said:
What the ****, this is not the GS3 thread. I can't believe you're arguing that GS3 being spoiled in a PWAAJfA does not constitute "spoiling". Can't we assume that if people became offended by the spoiler, that they didn't know and didn't WANT to know?

My argument is that nothing was spoiled.

Kureishima said:

Oh, so you've managed to show that the fact that people were spoiled in a thread that should not have had the spoiler in the first place doesn't show that anything was spoiled?

So basically, people were spoiled by a non-spoiler.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Kureishima said:

Your argument is based on your own opinion. You don't think they're spoilers, but other people think those images are. Doesn't matter if it's in the first part or the last part of the game, to them they now are exposed to something that they did not wish to see in an unexpected fashion. You're trying to argue against their opinion. You see how pointless and silly it is?

A Link to the Snitch said:
Oh, so you've managed to show that the fact that people were spoiled in a thread that should not have had the spoiler in the first place doesn't show that anything was spoiled?

So basically, people were spoiled by a non-spoiler.

I like the last part of your statement here.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wow, maybe Zyid should've stayed banned longer so we could've avoided derailing the thread. :(

BuddyC

Would you guys knock that off? Seriously. Nothing you can say will change the fact some of us got spoiled or that someone had a very short warning ban because of it. And from the circles everyone's running around it, it's obvious no one will be changing their stance on the issue. Nor will it change my policy regarding situations like this.

Let it go.

BuddyC said:
Would you guys knock that off? Seriously. Nothing you can say will change the fact some of us got spoiled or that someone had a very short warning ban because of it. And from the circles everyone's running around it, it's obvious no one will be changing their stance on the issue. Nor will it change my policy regarding situations like this.

Let it go.

*touch*

firex

nice find on the ringtone midi. I've personally got the save screen jingle from PW1 as my mp3 ringtone on my phone.

argh, the wait for a hopeful GS3 to DS port is killing me. I'm like 90% sure we'll get it, but I have this bad feeling they're going to randomly decide not to bring out the rest of the series here. I only hope they get some better proofreading/editing in for later games in this series, if they bring them out in English. I didn't think it ruined the game, but it could've been better.

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
I'm stuck and need help.

I'm on the last mission and on the second day of trials. Will Powers just delivered his first testimony and I can't find out what to present to him.

Ike said:
I'm stuck and need help.

I'm on the last mission and on the second day of trials. Will Powers just delivered his first testimony and I can't find out what to present to him.

First thing, make sure you've pressed all his statements and if he revises his testimony, press the revision. If nothing happens still, post his statements in spoilers and I'm sure one of us will be able to figure out the problem.

Ike

EphemeralDream said:
First thing, make sure you've pressed all his statements and if he revises his testimony, press the revision. If nothing happens still, post his statements in spoilers and I'm sure one of us will be able to figure out the problem.
I pressed them all and he makes no revisions, that's what my first thought was when I couldn't find a contradiction. He's talking here about:
The time he was outside Engarde's hotel room, talking to the "bellboy"

Ike said:
I pressed them all and he makes no revisions, that's what my first thought was when I couldn't find a contradiction. He's talking here about:
The time he was outside Engarde's hotel room, talking to the "bellboy"

I was hoping you would type up each of his statements one by one. Case 4 is apart from the rest in that one word that is easily overlooked could be the source of the contradiction. It's IMO easily the most difficult Case in the 2 games released in NA.

Ike

EphemeralDream said:
I was hoping you would type up each of his statements one by one. Case 4 is apart from the rest in that one word that is easily overlooked could be the source of the contradiction. It's IMO easily the most difficult Case in the 2 games released in NA.
I'm lazy but ah well, I'm stuck.

"After the award ceremony, I went by myself to Matt's room."

"Matt was standing there in front of his room, still in his Nickel Samurai costume."

"He was talking with someone. At first, I thought it was the bellboy."

"I watched the two of them for a while, but I gave up and went back."

"I had guests with me that night. and I couldn't make them wait for me."

Well I checked out GameFAQs since I couldn't really remember and I think it comes down to this:

-Press Powers on the "I watched the two of them for a while..." statement
-Click through the whole testimony.
-Press on "He was talking with someone. At first I thought it was the bellboy" (this is earlier than the first press)
-He will revise his testimony. Press on the new part about the tip.
-Ask about the tip

That should be it.

Ike

EphemeralDream said:
Well I checked out GameFAQs since I couldn't really remember and I think it comes down to this:

-Press Powers on the "I watched the two of them for a while..." statement
-Click through the whole testimony.
-Press on "He was talking with someone. At first I thought it was the bellboy" (this is earlier than the first press)
-He will revise his testimony. Press on the new part about the tip.
-Ask about the tip

That should be it.
Thanks. :)

It seemed to have worked.

jgkspsx

Went to pick up Hotel Dusk, couldn't find it (that trip), and came home with this instead. Did the first case before putting it away. I've got to finish Contact at some point.

I lost the first case multiple times before I realized I had to present
her profile. I'm used to ignoring typos in games! And they really tried to tip me off, but there I was trying to think logically. Ah well.

How would he write her name with a broken neck anyway?! Wasn't that, like, one of the contradictions in a case in PW1?

It's definitely more of the same, but I loved the first and this one looks to be great too. It's still hard to get used to how cavalier the characters are about the dead, though. I mean, it'd be no fun if people were broken-hearted in every case, but there's a lot of cognitive dissonance anyway.

jgkspsx said:
How would he write her name with a broken neck anyway?! Wasn't that, like, one of the contradictions in a case in PW1?

Broken neck may not result in instant death, and may not result in paralysis. It is possible to have a broken neck and survive - at least until you try to move said neck.

jgkspsx

Pureauthor said:
Broken neck may not result in instant death, and may not result in paralysis. It is possible to have a broken neck and survive - at least until you try to move said neck.
Well, I know that, but in the picture his neck is ****ing twisted. That's a Linda Blair position there.

jgkspsx said:
Well, I know that, but in the picture his neck is ****ing twisted. That's a Linda Blair position there.

Ahh, but what's to say the neck was twisted before he wrote the name, eh?

Top Bottom