• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Shaneus

There's no official quotes to link guys, but if Minsc wants I can give him all the details, contacts and proofs needed via PM... of course not to post 'em in here but as a confirmation that I'm not making shit up. :)
The blurb about TAF was basically exactly that word for word, a direct quote after I've asked about if they'll ever kickstart something again, didn't ask about TAF myself, they were the ones to bring it up in the conversation

I mean, if we want the guys to keep talking to me/you (dunno if anyone remember but I posted some infos before) maybe it'd be better to not quote this post directly on their Facebook/forum/etc. ;-)
Oh, I wasn't taking the piss and I'm certainly grateful, I just wanted to know if it was a hard-evidency-thing or if it was outside of FB/PAF etc. All good, tiger!

Hoping they have High Speed playable on a cab in Texas this weekend. Woo!

After having played many many games on a physical machine, TPA feels SO slow and floaty! Wow. I wish you could adjust that a little bit.
Yup. You'll quickly realise how frequently you're able to do things like drop catch on a real table, but can't at all TPA :/ Real machines are great for pointing out the subtle but obvious inadequacies of their engine.

Please stop bumping this thread until we get confirmation of High Speed. The anticipation is killing me.
Oh shush, it's confirmed enough:
So much lols:
RaWOGAi.png

Shaneus

Anybody who lives in Texas/the US... how do tolls work? Do you need coins to pass through them? How much are they typically? I'm driving from Dallas airport to Austin.

Thanks guys. I understand this is fairly rudementary info, but I'm Australian... forgive me ;)

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
I've seen rental cars have fastpass devices on them that collect the tolls automatically and the rental company just bills your card on file, so you can drive through the express lanes. I'd check with the rental car people, but that's likely the case.

Anybody who lives in Texas/the US... how do tolls work? Do you need coins to pass through them? How much are they typically? I'm driving from Dallas airport to Austin.

Thanks guys. I understand this is fairly rudementary info, but I'm Australian... forgive me ;)

Nobody uses coins in the US. Change is looked on like a mistake you can't forget because it's heavy in your pants. Unless we're talking quarters, everyone loves quarters. Those poor dollar coins though are anathema.

No, seriously, you'll be fine as long as you have a few bills or change. Toll bridges always take cash and you won't have problem getting change as long as you don't hand them something bigger than a $20.

I've seen rental cars have fastpass devices on them that collect the tolls automatically and the rental company just bills your card on file, so you can drive through the express lanes. I'd check with the rental car people, but that's likely the case.

That's certainly worth a shot, but as a southerner, this doesn't sound familiar. Makes too much sense, so it's probably only something they do up north :p

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Nobody uses coins in the US. Change is looked on like a mistake you can't forget because it's heavy in your pants. Unless we're talking quarters, everyone loves quarters. Those poor dollar coins though are anathema.

No, seriously, you'll be fine as long as you have a few bills or change. Toll bridges always take cash and you won't have problem getting change as long as you don't hand them something bigger than a $20.

That's certainly worth a shot, but as a southerner, this doesn't sound familiar. Makes too much sense, so it's probably only something they do up north :p

Pretty much this.

Honestly, depending on the toll situation (which varies from probably $0.60 up to like, $3.00 in Chicago), you'll want various bits of coin and bill. If they have automatic tolls (Chicago uses I-Pass, other states have something similar), if you only go through one...You can actually pay them online as a "missed toll". I wouldn't abuse it, but don't freak out if you accidentally run through one or two.

snaffles

Any update about season 3 on Vita and season 2/3 on PS4?

Season 3 starts on Vita April 1st, not sure about the PS4 stuff. Had another good run on Star Trek: TNG tonight. Got the final frontier on my first ball and made it to warp 9.4. Getting to warp 9.9 is going to kill me but I'll get there eventually. Not sure if I moved up the leaderboards much but feel like I am definitely getting better at the table. Also the "Thank you Mr. Data" bonus might be my favourite thing in the whole game.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Season 3 starts on Vita April 1st, not sure about the PS4 stuff. Had another good run on Star Trek: TNG tonight. Got the final frontier on my first ball and made it to warp 9.4. Getting to warp 9.9 is going to kill me but I'll get there eventually. Not sure if I moved up the leaderboards much but feel like I am definitely getting better at the table. Also the "Thank you Mr. Data" bonus might be my favourite thing in the whole game.

I have a hard time making a lot of shots on that table. I also drain on the outlanes ALL the time...

snaffles

I have a hard time making a lot of shots on that table. I also drain on the outlanes ALL the time...

The only shots that I can't really make consistently at this point are the centre "alpha quadrant" shot, and the neutral zone shot. I still have some really bad games here and there all the same. I just have a lot of patience for it because I enjoy the theme of the table so much.

I played six hours of real pinball at pinball wizard arcade in NH today. So much pinball. Twilight Zone remains my favorite table.

I played a lot of Black Knight 2000. I'll post more about it later.

Okay, it's later. I played Addams family (very good condition, LED lighting), Avatar (mint... meh), Black Knight (passable condition), Black Knight 2000 (decent condition and so so awesome), Cirqus Voltaire (very good condition), Creature From the Black Lagoon (weak flippers, badly levelled... probably the biggest disappointment of the trip), Doctor Who (not good condition, but the best I've played on... a working time expander!), Dr. Dude (decent condition, but that table has probably the worst theming of any I've played. so so dated), Dracula (good condition, a table I think is personally underrated), F-14 Tomcat (LED lighting, good condition... didn't play it enough to get a sense for it), Fish Tales (good condition, still a favorite), Fun House (good condition, I've always loved this one), Gorgar (the flippers were very weak and the angle was low, which I'm not sure is normal for a real Gorgar table, but it played as I expected, so quite probably), High Speed (weak flippers, pretty beat up... I played it a few more times after this video, and I started getting the hang of it. solid table), Judge Dredd (completely forgettable, and I like the comic), Junk Yard (good condition, not one I'd played before. I loved the wrecking ball toy), Medieval Madness (very good condition and a blast as always), Pin Bot (very worn playing surface, but played rather nicely. not a favorite of mine), Revenge From Mars (great condition, I only had one go on it which went very badly. I've played it a good deal before though, and it's a personal favorite), Road Show (good condition, my first time playing it. seemed to have potential, but it was my last two tokens before leaving... a guy had been on it for ages racking up a crazy high score), Spiderman (mint, second best of the Stern tables I played today), Star Trek - TNG (very good condition, great fun as always), Star Trek Stern (mint, best Stern table I've played), Strikes and Spares (a bowling game from Gottleib, mint condition and surprisingly fun), Superman (okay condition, meh), Tales From the Crypt (has a shaker motor and went absolutely crazy the first time I played it, I kept reactivating multible right after falling out of it, not bad for a Data East table, but the theme carried it I think, it's no Scared Stiff, shall we say), Tales of the Arabian Nights (decent condition, a favorite), Tron (very good condition, meh and again that's considering it has a theme I like), Twilight Zone (very good condition, still my favorite), Whitewater (good condition, I'll never get tired of hitting that ramp) and finally Wizard of Oz (mint, once you get beyond the stimulation overload, actually a really fun table).

Six hours of pinball, for $50 worth of tokens. While the condition of some of the machines was a shame, I'm not sure where else you're going to get that kind of experience unless you're hitting the Pinball Museum in Vegas. Anyone in the New England area should make the trip. I will definitely be visiting them again.

Shaneus

Straight from the horse's mouth: Directly from Norman (sound lead) at Farsight, High Speed is 100% the next table on TPA :)

Had a yak to him on how he does his job, also hit him up about licensing, particularly for a game like... ooh... Say, The Getaway ;) Said they hadn't done anything towards looking at licensing for it, but doesn't see a reason we won't see it in the future. Probably not this season, though.

Best of the rest from Texas: Medieval Madness remake - Plays well, flippers seem a little off and a current MM owner was saying that the castle movement is a little off. Have a photo of the underside of the playfield, it's kind of nuts wha they've done with it.

Predator: Plays alright, looks pretty good, sounds GREAT. Jumped into a 4P game with some other dudes who had been on it a while... first game, breasted it to 300m over their ~30m (give or take). Was a little OTT in general and I doubt I'd pay a *lot* of money for one! but I doubt any future owners would be unhappy.

So much more to report, so many photos, so goddamn fucking exhausted (and a little sick, I think :/).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, replaced the black rubbers with some purple on my X-Men...SO much different! Shots fly up ramps now. I had no idea new flipper rubbers could be so incredibly game changing!

Also, Shane - you get any Tron in yet? ;)

vg260

I just saw that old High Speed NES game cart. Just curious, how highly is this table regarded that they released it as a NES cart? It seems like a fan favorite. Why didn't it show up in the earlier Williams collection or earlier seasons?

Bebpo

Banned
So it's been months now and the ps4 version still doesn't even have a quick patch to fix the sound, there's no friend leaderboards and no word of s2 or further support in site. I hope they're expecting a huge drop in s1 -> s2 sales on ps4 because they're treating the user base there pretty terrible.

eggwolio

I had a much different experience at the Pinball Arcade booth at the Texas Pinball Festival this year. Last year, I had a really good experience and felt like I learned more about their product.

This year, the first gentleman I spoke to claimed that the PS4 version wasn't out yet and acted like it was a special treat that they brought it with them. I asked if there was any chance of anything more coming to the 3DS and he told me that the system was a joke and just the absolute worst console ever created. I asked about WiiU and he said it should be out in a few months. I asked if there would be off screen play and he looked confused. I asked about the gamepad and he said that it was going to be used for the DMD. He had me put my email address into an iPad which supposedly will get me four tables on Steam.

I went back later when someone else was manning the booth and was told that yes, of course the PS4 version was out, I must have said something to confuse the other guy. He also said that nothing was being planned for the 3DS because the system isn't powerful enough to handle their emulation. He didn't expand further, and he didn't need to. I did, however, appreciate that he chose not to editorialize it. He said that the WiiU port had no ETA because no one is working on it currently. Their entire team is focused on the XBOne version at the moment. He said that the 360 fiasco should be completely sorted soon. He also mentioned that the dude who runs their company also flies their private jet but they had to fly on commercial flights this time because he had to attend a funeral and couldn't be here.

On the bright side, this year's free t-shirt seems to be much better quality.

Their entire team is focused on the XBOne version at the moment. He said that the 360 fiasco should be completely sorted soon.

I wish that this meant that the X1 version would be heavily discounted or, really, free to those who already bought every table they released on X360 since they were basically screwed by the still-endless wait for more tables and updates.

Shaneus

Bah, you're one to talk. I posted a video of myself playing High Speed just a few posts up, and you haven't responded to it. I made it my first stop at Pinball Wizard Arcade just for you man too!
I'm sorry man, I don't know what I was thinking. I should've prioritised getting on GAF with shitty hotel wifi internet over straining through massive sessions at a pinball festival I paid well over $2000 to get to while battling a cold and severe tiredness/lack of motivation. Won't happen again, I promise.

I'm sorry man, I don't know what I was thinking. I should've prioritised getting on GAF with shitty hotel wifi internet over straining through massive sessions at a pinball festival I paid well over $2000 to get to while battling a cold and severe tiredness/lack of motivation. Won't happen again, I promise.

Take a breath. I was just pointing out that you'd missed something in this thread too that I thought you'd get a kick out of, albeit in a kind of snarky way. I don't think it's a big deal to not be up to date with this thread.

I didn't expect you to catch up *before* you got back. It's cool.

Gigarator

Finally got a monitor that can be rotated. Figured the best way to test it would be with some pinball. Man, playing it this way is so much better, love it. Only gripe is that some tables are a bit too wide, I guess a 16:10 monitor would have done those ones more justice.

snaffles

Finally got the wizard goals for Star Trek: TNG last night on my Vita. Now I am trying to decide whether or not I can be bothered getting them on the PS3 or if I should move on to another table for a while. I was leaning towards going back to the El Dorado table but those goals seem even more difficult.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
yikes, that x-men didn't last long for you nicoga

I played another Tron and realized I made a mistake. I NEED Tron. Like, need it in my veins.

I found a Tron, just need to find a buyer. Most people agree that both games are stupid good, just picking the theme that really clicks.

That said! X-Men is incredible. Its super tough, super fun, and a blast to listen to and look at. I just have a soft spot for Tron. If I don't find a buyer, I won't be butthurt. But if I can, I'm going to fork over the extra cash and just get that Tron in my house.

Shaneus

Take a breath. I was just pointing out that you'd missed something in this thread too that I thought you'd get a kick out of, albeit in a kind of snarky way. I don't think it's a big deal to not be up to date with this thread.

I didn't expect you to catch up *before* you got back. It's cool.
No worries, tiger... was seizing the opportunity to be a dick right back at you anyway. I was being about as serious as you were ;P

PS. Obvious from the posts here that none of you have been keeping up to date with Coast 2 Coast. For shame. There are some great tidbits and pieces of information from the festival, not to mention entertaining and informative interviewees. Y'all are missing out!

No worries, tiger... was seizing the opportunity to be a dick right back at you anyway. I was being about as serious as you were ;P

PS. Obvious from the posts here that none of you have been keeping up to date with Coast 2 Coast. For shame. There are some great tidbits and pieces of information from the festival, not to mention entertaining and informative interviewees. Y'all are missing out!

I can't do podcasts. I've tried numerous times. The only time I can do them if I'm bed ridden and sick which I haven't been for well over two years. I wish I could get into them (and audio books).

snaffles

Apparently the "super patch" is available now for PS3/Vita users in the US. For folks in Europe/Aus we have to wait until next week. They have the season 3 tables Fish Tales and Black Rose available now too apparently, but I can't confirm as I am in Australia.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Apparently the "super patch" is available now for PS3/Vita users in the US. For folks in Europe/Aus we have to wait until next week. They have the season 3 tables Fish Tales and Black Rose available now too apparently, but I can't confirm as I am in Australia.

I'm downloading it now. Apparently, we have to redownload the first 16 table packs for fixes, but there should be an "upgrade" button to assist in that.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The Season 1 and 2 Pro upgrades, Season 2 custom balls, Fish Tales and Black Rose are all on PSN now. No Season 3 pass, though.

joeblow

Reports from the unofficial TPA forum about the PS3 "super patch" are encouraging until I try it myself.

The flipper lag is gone, the visuals are sharper, and the 3D effect is looking really good once you adjust it.

snaffles

I'm mostly looking forward to actually being able to play White Water on my PS3, hopefully the patch fixes that for me. Looking forward to Fish Tales too for sure.

One of the locals is having a party tonight to un-box the new "Mustang" pinball machine. I only heard the rumors about it being created and it just kind of showed up so I don't have any clue what it looks like. My phone is crap but I'll snap some pictures when I go see it later.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I may have just set up a 1:1 trade of my X-Men for a Tron! Oh man, if this works out...I'm going to have the best time EVER. <3

E: Also, having to update every time I load a new table on Vita is getting annoying, but hopefully they fixed all the issues.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I may have just set up a 1:1 trade of my X-Men for a Tron! Oh man, if this works out...I'm going to have the best time EVER. <3

E: Also, having to update every time I load a new table on Vita is getting annoying, but hopefully they fixed all the issues.

I'm downloading the season packs all in one go.

I'll dig out the picture when I get a second, but I didn't get good playfield close ups like I wanted.

It's a MUCH more 'minimalist' design than anything Stern has put out in a long time. I happen to love that so far. It's nice to have a game that looks so dissimilar right now.

I got to play two game on it and we are still trying to figure out the rule set.

It looks great. Lots of classic car design on the back and sides. It doesn't stand out as mush as having famous actors or bands on it, but that's partly why I like it. It played fast as all smoking hell but it was right out of the box. I have a feeling this game is going to play very fast no matter what.
There is a left short shot (like in Star Trek or Mettalica), a left ramp (the only ramp.) that has two layers depending on if the gate is open or not. Then a fast left loop, a HUGE target bank dead center (That says GEARS, important), A left eject hole (mystery shot) a stand up target next to it and finally the right loop.
Basically when you start, each of 6 classic mustangs is a mode for different shots. Completing the shots also lights MUSTANG letters for Mustang multiball.

That GEARS target bank is major. Completing each of the 6 gears will up shot value, open cars and add balls to multiball.
Gear 1 is a two ball multiball. Once you get to gear 3, you can cash in for Gearshift multiball. The cool part is that you can cancel the multiball, get one ball back and try for more. In gear 4, it's worth 4 balls, then 5 and possibly 6. So if you are daring and cancel out of multiball, you could start it with 6 balls, more shots and higher jackpot.

I didn't see all of the modes but so far it seems like a winner to me. It will probably be at the Rocky Mountain Showdown in 9 days. This was a pro version, not a LE. It has some good music for each different ear of car but I heard the LE version has much more music and I wish they didn't hold that back.

Shaneus

I can't do podcasts. I've tried numerous times. The only time I can do them if I'm bed ridden and sick which I haven't been for well over two years. I wish I could get into them (and audio books).
Main hint being, I'm interviewed on episode 71.

And honestly, don't say you're not a podcast person until you've heard C2C. It's short, sweet and entertaining/informative as hell. I wouldn't spruik it if it wasn't worth it, regardless of if I make an appearance on there or not. You'll learn a hell of a lot about what was at TPF in far greater depth than I could hope to explain in a post on here, too. Gives a great rundown of Mustang that echoes my feelings precisely.

Top Bottom