• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Shaneus

There wasn't anything especially difficult set for that CftBL (other than no extra balls) but the importance of the snack bar shot on that game (amongst other things) makes any score above a few hundred million impressive. When you tie in jackpots, super jackpots and multipliers to that (I'm sure he got a ~400m super jackpot in there) it truly astounds.

Possible spoiler alert, but Elwin is just a god when it comes to playing. One of his greatest assets is keeping cool under pressure, I need to take on that trait more than any others I think! Doesn't help that I tend to play far more like Andrei and his fast/loose style than a more stop-go game, either (though I'm sure that skill will come in handy for faster games and EMs where you generally can't park balls).

That was an education and a half. Everyone should watch it... as I said, even if only for his calmness during play.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Looked at that poll again. Diner is still in the lead, but Cyclone is now just three percentage points behind, with Earthshaker lagging.

snaffles

How is there still not a single patch for the PS4 version?

Just having a look on the pinball arcade fansite the first mention of the current patch that just released on PS3/Vita in the US this past week was in October of last year. So I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for PS4 patches.

Shaneus

How is Earthshaker not doing better? Diner is basically Taxi 2, which isn't necessarily the best thing. YOU ALL SUCK, VOTERS.

Harlem Globetrotters was super boring to watch...
Yeah, massive yawnfest. But Elwin schooling on Creature was a thing of beauty.

How is Earthshaker not doing better? Diner is basically Taxi 2, which isn't necessarily the best thing. YOU ALL SUCK, VOTERS.

Yeah, massive yawnfest. But Elwin schooling on Creature was a thing of beauty.

Diner was one of the few pinball tables in my town growing up, along with Whirlwind, Street Fighter 2, and Creature From The Black Lagoon. Has setimental value for me.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Looked at that poll again. Diner is still in the lead, but Cyclone is now just three percentage points behind, with Earthshaker lagging.

Diner was fantastic. Earthshaker was a parlor trick because of the shifting table.

Edit: That poll is screwed up. Diner is now down to 10% after being out to a big lead and now Cyclone has a colossal lead. Something isn't right.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I am causing a shitstorm over at pinside with my X-Men, haha. I'm selling it for $5300 with all mods, $5000 without. Everyone is saying how incredible of a deal it is, but nobody is biting.

I'm getting my HUO modded Tron Pro...Already set up the delivery from a great guy who basically does pinball delivery full time. Lots of mods (no Eli or chick translite, but I'm buying those PRONTO), incredible condition, great asking price. I am crazy excited for it since Tron IS my holy grail! :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Anyone ITT going to California Extreme in Santa Clara? It's like five minutes from my house so I'll be going down with a group of friends. Never really been to a big gameplay-focused convention like that (E3 & PAX East don't count) so pretty excited.

Shaneus

I am causing a shitstorm over at pinside with my X-Men, haha. I'm selling it for $5300 with all mods, $5000 without. Everyone is saying how incredible of a deal it is, but nobody is biting.

I'm getting my HUO modded Tron Pro...Already set up the delivery from a great guy who basically does pinball delivery full time. Lots of mods (no Eli or chick translite, but I'm buying those PRONTO), incredible condition, great asking price. I am crazy excited for it since Tron IS my holy grail! :p
How much will the Tron set you back? Fair enough if you don't want to mention it in public :)

I assume you've played it before? The only reason I've not been my usual enthusiastic self is that I played both a Pro and LE, and neither really grabbed me beyond the theme (and the Pro felt a little too cheap IMO). But if you've played it and love it, more power to you :)

PS. Props on not trying to turn a profit on your current machine. Shows a bit of respect to the last guy you bought it from, who obviously did you a hell of a deal in the first place. Big respect!

PPS. Strangely enough, the one new (to me) Stern machine that endeared itself to me while on my trip was a Batman TDK (LE?). With Superband flipper rubbers, I was flogging the hell out of it and enjoyed every second. Did damn well against the guy I played as well, who is #1 or 2 in his league at Pinballz in Austin. Fun table.
By the way... was there an LE TDK, or was there only the one version?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Page 3 is where the gold starts This is my fore sale thread on Pinside. Check it out sometime, haha.

And Tron is running me $5000. Once my X-Men sells, it's basically a wash. If I sell WITHOUT mods for $5000, I'll just sell the shaker and sub and get my money back anyways. I'll also have a neat LED backbox kit for my Tron. I'm assuming it will sell with mods for the $5300 I'm asking.

And I have played Tron, and LOVE it. A fully pimped Tron Pro is an absolute orgy of visual and sound. There are two major mods I need to do to the Pro I'm getting - Eli ramp ($400) and Tron Mini Arcade (~$250 or so). Once those are done, it's pretty much set. The guy who sold it to me already put LED's in there, already has the Hallmark Lightcycles (not installed, but he's giving them to me), the light up Flynn's arcade sign, Cliffy scoop protectors, shaker, sub, AND he installed a headphone jack mod.

Really, I'm out $200 from the X-Men LE to get, what I consider to be, one of the best and hottest pins available. No joke, finding a Tron was the hardest part of this journey. Everyone who has one seems to want to keep it. If you get lucky to find a Pro come up for sale, it's gone almost immediately.

The one I found was a guy and his partner who bought it and decided they just didn't enjoy it. They put it on CL of all places. Here's a video they took for me: YouTube

E: The reason I like Tron so much is two-fold...The game is a visual and audio feast. A pimped out Tron Pro puts just about every single game out there to shame. I intend to go crazy with mine. :) The other thing Tron brings to the table is something that I feel Iron Man does very well, too; it presents a wonderful meshing of classic point-based gameplay with the current trend of mode/objective-based gameplay. I thought I would enjoy completing modes and the quest towards Dark Phoenix in X-Men, but it turns out, I'm not good enough to care about that. Tron is a game that rewards you for playing well, but also gives enough feedback for those shitty games that last ~60 seconds total.

Also, Quorra multiball with Derezzed smashing your eardrums? <3 <3 <3

Shaneus

Damn, now I need to come visit you next year! I've heard a lot about people wanting to hold onto Tron (all versions) so it sounds like you've done well. Have you considered seeing if the seller is happy to do a straight swap?
And I assume that's a good price for a fully kitted out Pro? I have no idea (and don't know the gameplay differences between the Pro and LE) but I thought most Pros of that era usually go for a little cheaper.

Stoked you're happy about it, though. Makes me jealous that I don't have a dream pin to set my sights on! Maybe I should just clear my flat up a bit, find some room for a pin and borrow one of the 40 my mate has. I know he has White Water, T2, Centaur, Getaway and WWF (amongst others)... and that he's more than happy to let me mind one for him ;)

Ps. Did you watch much more of that tournament stream? Look out for 12 year old Escher Lefkoff. He's outplaying tournament champions! Smashes the hell out of a WMS/Bally Dracula and Funhouse, thrashing world champions while doing that. Just insane to watch.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You totally should
No really, you should...We have so much space in our house, haha.
- even though I'll only have Tron, there is a location about an hour north of me that keeps a really amazing collection of games. He's cool about letting Indiana Pinball group folks stay late/come early/whatever.

The guys with the Tron just don't want it anymore, so I'm buying it from them. I've secured a sale on my X-Men as of tomorrow, so it's basically a wash. I don't have to do anything but sit here and wait patiently for everything to come together!

Regarding Tron, the only ACTUAL gameplay difference between a Pro and LE that I know of is that the LE has Daft Punk multiball. Rumor is that they could add it via a code update one day, but it's not really a big deal. LE already has lighted ramps, a moving recognizer toy, and TRON drop targets. But to be honest, the cost of an LE is insane. I'd rather spend $5k on a modded Pro and add the one or two missing mods to get an LE looking machine vs spend $10k+ for an LE.

Right now, a FULLY modded Tron Pro (with ramp mods, arcade mods, LEDs, lightcycles, etc etc etc) runs ~$6-6.5k. Depending on the number of mods and condition, a HUO Pro fetches between $5-5.5k, so it's really a fantastic deal. As I said, the major problem is FINDING them. A Tron Pro almost NEVER pops up for sale. When it does, it's gone so fast, it's insane. A NIB Pro is going for $6k+ depending on where you get it. MOST retailers sell them for $6.5-7k. The only reason is because the demand is crazy for them. It's been crazy since it came out, and it only gets crazier.

And yeah, this is my holy grail. Ever since I knew Tron existed, I wanted it. Once I Played one, I wanted it even more. Now that I have on the way? <3 To be honest, when I opt to buy a second pin, it will be tough to decide since I'll already have the one I REALLY want.

And yeah, I watched a little more of that tourney. I didn't see the young kid, but at Louisville, I watched a youngster thrash on Spiderman. It's awesome to see young folks still enjoying and playing pinball. I do hope it continues since it's SUCH an awesome hobby.

Shaneus

That's what I figured when I posted earlier. Out of nowhere, Cyclone had a massive lead.
Baffles me why Earthshaker isn't rating better. Diner is basically Taxi 2 while there's nothing like Earthshaker on TPA.

And that PF artwork is horrid.

What's even more surprising is that EVERY SINGLE GAME in that poll is a Williams System 11 series. FS must be pretty chuffed with their emulation... or they managed to score a batch of super-cheap Sys11 titles.

I would not be shocked if all three of those show up in Season 3. With Junk Yard still in the cards, that would be four of the five remaining tables. Maybe the fifth will be Eight Ball Deluxe.
Nah. Poll is for which of those tables do we want to see in S3. Other two will be in S4.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Saturday at the earliest...First week of May at the latest, haha.

And what's next? MOD TIME! I've already spent about $700 in mods for a machine I don't even have yet, haha. After that, I wait. No other machine has me this excited. But when I DO hunt my next one, it will probably be a $2-3k range machine. Unless they release something I NEED (like another Disney themed pin).

Shaneus

You have a Stern machine, your next one should be a 90s Williams (or maybe DE) box. Right now I'm working on clearing room for either a White Water (which I'll borrow) or a Shadow (which I'd buy).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You have a Stern machine, your next one should be a 90s Williams (or maybe DE) box. Right now I'm working on clearing room for either a White Water (which I'll borrow) or a Shadow (which I'd buy).

I've never played a Shadow. I should try and download a virtual table to try out...

Shaneus

No pop bumpers, unique lane changey thing for two sets of ramps, Breakout/Arkanoid-style mini playfield... I put a game in whilst in Austin and I definitely enjoyed it. Apparently the virtual table is good as well (it's by JPSalas).
A friend described it as a narrow-body Twilight Zone. Not really far off by looking at it, but I think it plays significantly better (but I've never really gotten into TZ).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Speaking of backglass work...

The guy who stopped by to pick up my X-Men is friends with John Borg! I'm going to send him my Chicks Translite for my Tron and he's going to get Borg to sign it for me!!!!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I kinda wish Tron Legacy would show up in TPA, but between the licenses with Disney and Daft Punk, and the actors, it would probably be a bitch to do it.

Shaneus

Speaking of backglass work...

The guy who stopped by to pick up my X-Men is friends with John Borg! I'm going to send him my Chicks Translite for my Tron and he's going to get Borg to sign it for me!!!!
Holy shit, I honestly can't believe the connections you're making with that one pin. First you get an LE for a bargain that's signed by Stern as well, now you're hooking up stuff with Borg.

Photos of translite ASAP. Only because it makes me feel kinda tingly ;)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I kinda wish Tron Legacy would show up in TPA, but between the licenses with Disney and Daft Punk, and the actors, it would probably be a bitch to do it.

I'm kind of surprised there are ANY Stern tables in TPA. I figured they would say no simply because they're still selling machines. More recent Sterns will likely never show up. Having said that, a miracle could happen! I'd seriously pay $20+ bucks for one recent Stern table if that's what it would take to not get hosed by licensing.

Holy shit, I honestly can't believe the connections you're making with that one pin. First you get an LE for a bargain that's signed by Stern as well, now you're hooking up stuff with Borg.

Photos of translite ASAP. Only because it makes me feel kinda tingly ;)

Yeah, this sort of just exploded into awesome. I should have the unsigned translite tomorrow. I'm going to overnight it to him so he has it Saturday when he will be hanging out with Borg again. SO excited, haha.

Shaneus

I'm kind of surprised there are ANY Stern tables in TPA. I figured they would say no simply because they're still selling machines. More recent Sterns will likely never show up. Having said that, a miracle could happen! I'd seriously pay $20+ bucks for one recent Stern table if that's what it would take to not get hosed by licensing.
I'm calling it: Rollercoaster Tycoon will make an appearance at some stage. Not sure on any others, but I reckon that's a gimme.

Yeah, this sort of just exploded into awesome. I should have the unsigned translite tomorrow. I'm going to overnight it to him so he has it Saturday when he will be hanging out with Borg again. SO excited, haha.
That's one of the best things about the pinball community... as long as you're even the tiniest bit active in either collecting or discussing online or whatever, there's a fair chance you'll run into someone you consider "famous", or know someone who has. Hell, it's rare something like that happens with video games (which is weird, considering they're significantly cheaper) but almost always, someone knows someone who knows someone in the industry.

At least in the US. In Australia, not quite as much (though with Homepin... soon ;) ).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm calling it: Rollercoaster Tycoon will make an appearance at some stage. Not sure on any others, but I reckon that's a gimme.

That's one of the best things about the pinball community... as long as you're even the tiniest bit active in either collecting or discussing online or whatever, there's a fair chance you'll run into someone you consider "famous", or know someone who has. Hell, it's rare something like that happens with video games (which is weird, considering they're significantly cheaper) but almost always, someone knows someone who knows someone in the industry.

At least in the US. In Australia, not quite as much (though with Homepin... soon ;) ).

I would LOVE to see RCT in TPA. I've only ever seen pics of the game. I've heard good things, too. I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

And regarding your second comment, I TOTALLY agree. Pinball has turned out to be one of the best communities I've ever gotten involved in. Because it's such a niche hobby, everyone in it loves it - a lot. Everyone I have had the pleasure of talking to is infatuated with pinball. It's so fun to listen to people talk about it and share their experience. People are so willing to bring you into their home and enjoy their games and company, too.

Although, wait. Having said that...

When I was selling my X-Men, I did realize that there are also a bunch of slimey, used car salesmen in this industry. I had a LOT of insulting offers on my pin - $4000? $4200? I'm sorry, that's the price a PRO goes for. An LE in the condition I had? Silly people...

It's a wonderfully diverse community. I think that most everyone is inherently good. It's when you start talking $$$ that you start to see the scoundrels. But if you look past that, haha.

Shaneus

Yeah, fortunately I haven't had to bother in dealing much with the money side, but I get the impression that a lot of people just try to dick everyone else around... which is why I was relieved and glad when you sold yours for what you paid for it :)

I played RCT in Pinballz as well. It's not a horrible game and it has some interesting shots on it, but it felt a little too cluttered for my tastes (add on top of that it's a Lawlor game, so that kinda compounds the issue). Didn't get much of a chance to get into the rules, but it *is* pretty looking. Coloured wireforms always look great when done well.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah, the game has a really fun look to it. I love that about it! I should really get VP9 working on my PC so I can play the recreations people have done. I've stuck with Pinball FX and TPA for my major virtual fun. Future Pinball is quick and easy, so I've also been running that. However, the physics are all sorts of wrong. It's just fun to play the tables like Tron, LotR, SM, etc.

And I meant to ask - are you getting a Thunderbirds pin? Or do you know anyone getting one? Are you going to play it? They talk about it a lot on Pinheadz since they're based in AU. I haven't read or seen ANYTHING about it, but they're all sorts of excited! :)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I've only heard to the contrary, but I can't verify because the update hasn't been released in PAL territories yet. Shouldn't be much more than a day or two for that to be rectified, though.

Damn, I sure hope so!
I haven't been able to try it out yet (PAL here)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just ordered these for the Tron! Going to get them powder coated and put some EL strip lighting behind the cutout.

T4J7Qvz.jpg

Shaneus

I think that's kind of thread worthy, but that's just me.

What a goddamn shame. That's so, so sad :(

Perhaps a thread title mentioning his artwork on Williams games like Joust (and I believe Defender as well) would make it more "worthy".

Yeah, the game has a really fun look to it. I love that about it! I should really get VP9 working on my PC so I can play the recreations people have done. I've stuck with Pinball FX and TPA for my major virtual fun. Future Pinball is quick and easy, so I've also been running that. However, the physics are all sorts of wrong. It's just fun to play the tables like Tron, LotR, SM, etc.
There are a LOT of developments with Visual PinMAME now. Some folks are beavering away at a DX9 version (which means additional special effects, graphics acceleration and SPEED!), others working on I think a completely new version (I have a hunch they'll eventually splice the two together, but for now they're separate) and don't forget the hacky hack to get newer Stern titles working on it :)

And I meant to ask - are you getting a Thunderbirds pin? Or do you know anyone getting one? Are you going to play it? They talk about it a lot on Pinheadz since they're based in AU. I haven't read or seen ANYTHING about it, but they're all sorts of excited! :)
Believe it or not, seriously considered pre-ordering one. But with so little information out about layout, graphical look, design, mechanical parts/operation and manufacturing quality, I gave it a miss. Besides, I figure if it becomes a machine to get, the Australian pinball community is insular enough that I should be able to get a reasonable price on one :)

I'm definitely looking forward to it. I loved the Thunderbirds as a kid (still do) and their 50th anniversary rolls around at just the right time for my nephews to get into it. The manufacturing of everything by Mike/Homepin is definitely interesting and I can't wait to see how solid everything comes out. I have a feeling a lot of Pinsiders will be eating their words. Plus, it has drop targets. Every game (except Firepower*) is better with drop targets.

BTW Nate and I speculated a little about who that mystery guest designer could be. I initially thought it would be J-Pop, but that doesn't gel with Mike's mention of the designer kinda being tied up with a current manufacturer. His theory was that it's Dennis Nordman, who I believe may have some kind of deal (vs. actual employment) with either Stern or Heighway. If it's him though, it could be absolutely epic. He's designed some wonderful, unique machines and one of my favourite original-themed (non-Steve) games, White Water.

PS. Love the idea with the rails and the lighting. I think if you can, put the lighting so you only see the glow of the lights and not the lights themselves. If you get the right light blue (or even light blue/light orange combo) it could look epic.

*That reminds me. Played Firepower II in Texas, it has no speech! So what was essentially the identity of the machine was ripped from it when making the sequel. The game suffered considerably from it, IMO.

Shaneus

Idea: Fade orange to blue, front to back? And where the color changes, color the lettering the same (so on the left side, the Legacy would be orange because it's closer to the front, and the other side Tron is closer to the front, so that'd be orange).
Maybe not, but worth thinking about!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I don't think they make faded EL Tape, haha. Also, I don't really like the faded look. Someone did that on Pinside with their Tron on the apron...It was "men"

Top Bottom