• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

I really hope that they bring 3D to PS4 whenever they get around to releasing anything for that version again. If they ever do. Hopefully once they get the Xbox One version out, the two next gen versions will get equal love.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Really feeling a bit of early-adopter screwage from this series, as a PS4 owner. Have kinda stopped paying attention to it until they get things straight in a year or whatever hopefully.

I hate being "that guy", but it's posted at the unofficial forums as well as a few posts back here: Clicky

Don't feel bad, my google-fu is pitiful sometimes (especially considering I'm usually at work or on my phone when I post here :p) and people rightfully pick on me on here for stupid questions. My intent for asking though is largely to find out from someone reliable if it broke more shit or was the best thing since sliced bread or whatever.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Don't feel bad, my google-fu is pitiful sometimes (especially considering I'm usually at work or on my phone when I post here :p) and people rightfully pick on me on here for stupid questions. My intent for asking though is largely to find out from someone reliable if it broke more shit or was the best thing since sliced bread or whatever.

It SEEMS to be better, but honestly, I played a LOT of TPA on my Vita and only ever ran into an issue on one table. And it was only after a round was done, and it was very rare. I guess people are happy with it, though.

Shaneus

My money says yes, they'll jump at the chance to spread themselves even thinner.

Still waiting for PC DX11 update, and the stupid PS4 patch.
That's kind of the impression I got from Norman (of FS) in Texas. The One port/version is going to delay the DX11 version even further, it seems.

I have a feeling that we'll get some tables with improved lighting, some without rather than get all S1-3 tables with improved lighting all at once.

Also discussing the PS4 sound issue (Norman being the sound guy for FS/TPA), what he believed happened was that everything was right to go, something was imported into the PS4 version that did what it was supposed to do, but in addition changed a flag or something that disabled the higher-quality sound. I suspect it also missed the cycle for the first patch as well, but can't recall exactly.

Shaneus

Have finally uploaded all my photos! Not as many as I thought I had... perhaps I spent more time playing than I did snapping!

TPF - 29/03/14
TPF - 30/03/14
TPF - 31/03/14

Probably my favourite photos of the bunch... see if you can guess why (hint: not because of *my* dorky face):

yGergSY.jpg

jMboZSa.jpg

Yup, the one-and-only Steve Ritchie. And yes, that's John Borg in the background!

Impressions of all the games I played to come. I played a stack of titles at Pinballz in Austin as well, so I'm going to try and cover every machine I played across both locations with details on why I did/didn't like each (as best I can remember).

Shaneus

Great photos, Shaneus! It looks like a lot of fun. Hope you enjoyed yourself!
That I did, but would've enjoyed myself more if I didn't catch a bug on on the plane on the way up. Didn't fully kick in until TPF started, which pissed me off no end... burned through so many tissues/napkins due to a runny nose, and my first two whole days back in Australia I've taken off due to being sick :(

Shaneus

It's officially official
tFKF3Rt.gif
I've been trying to tell you guise!
(Is that from Steam?)

Shane - cool pics...BUT! Did you play a Tron??? I want your impressions!
Yes, I played a Tron LE and a Pro. The latter was a massive letdown, just felt cheap and was never a whole lot of fun at all. The LE looks and feels a whole lot better, but I just don't know if it's my kinda game. The shots just didn't feel satisfying enough, but that's not to say your experience will be close to being the same.

Having played both a Tron LE and Xmen LE (admittedly only the latter for a good period of time) I think you're making the right choice in that swap :)

Did you play the Varkon, Safe Cracker, and/or Big Bang Bar?
Yes*, yes and no. Varkon is a *weird* playing machine. It's really weird playing it after coming from playing a Banzai Run, because the horizontal playfield feels like it should play the same on both, but because of the mirror effect... it messes with your head. There's also a shot which I *think* activates a lower playfield, but it's nigh-on impossible to get, with the flippers feeling just a little underpowered.

Safecracker was an interesting feeling game. Didn't quite get a grasp on the rules, but the feeling of the table is very much like a miniaturised Lawlor game, leaning closer to TZ than any of his other machines. Didn't play like a tiny pinball machine, though... felt full-featured and not at all cut-down or compromised. I'd love to see almost a "series" of miniaturised tables (probably in a simpler design, perhaps like High Speed, Funhouse etc.) released with a similar footprint. I'd buy the hell out of all of them.

Big Bang Bar wasn't playable AT ALL during the entire weekend. It was brought onsite by "Fun! Amusement Auctions" (or something) and was never, ever powered up once during the whole weekend. So the photos I got were while it wasn't running. But it's a fucking beautiful looking machine, though.

*That's me in the graphic for C2C episode 73, in front of the Varkon:
k6XFtUGl.jpg

The S3D implemented in the PS3 'super patch' is nice and deep, similar to the Ridge Racer 7 implementation, so the separation being so great makes it a little difficult to easily adjust to, but once your gaze is correctly set to the depth, it is very nice. However, there are serious performance issues with the framerate diving for as long as multiball is going on tables, like ToM and when the low camera view is used while playing single ball play on another table whose name escapes me now. New patch, new problems including new glitches. Typical FarSight. Lag doesn't feel much less than the last time I played the PS3 version, but it tends to feel more responsive in 720p S3D than it does with 1080p 2D on some tables. Hope for S3D in other versions is high despite the issues with this one. The textures across all tables are now nicer to me, too, and the either previously non-existent full sets of sound samples for each table now are included or simply trigger when they didn't before. A huge improvement, overall, but steps back are included.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yes, I played a Tron LE and a Pro. The latter was a massive letdown, just felt cheap and was never a whole lot of fun at all. The LE looks and feels a whole lot better, but I just don't know if it's my kinda game. The shots just didn't feel satisfying enough, but that's not to say your experience will be close to being the same.

Having played both a Tron LE and Xmen LE (admittedly only the latter for a good period of time) I think you're making the right choice in that swap :)

Really? I thought playing a modded Pro was sex! That's what I'm getting, since an LE runs right around $11k which is silly.

Shaneus

Ah, you're trading your Xmen LE for a (admittedly, modded) Tron Pro? That's not sounding like such a hot deal... unless you're expecting to get ~$2500 worth of mods.

PS. I can't get the 3D working in the TPA update, because it's not in the PAL version yet (for some stupid, unknown, likely bullshit regional update reason) and when I try it in the demo from the US store, it says I need to restart the demo after setting the 3D flag but it doesn't save that option when I reset it. So I have to wait. Stupid region shit :/

snaffles

High Speed looks like a lot of fun, and I added a vote for Earthshaker. I have pretty much stopped playing this week while I wait for the patch to come out in Australia. Been screwing around with zen/star wars pinball in the meantime.

Awesome photos Shaneus too, looks like it would have been a bunch of fun over there.

Neat. Brings back good memories of playing it back then just hearing those samples and that music. I love how they just casually slip in some important information about adjusting the separation strength level for S3D mode during the stream yet that information isn't available in their game interface. Hold triangle button down and move the right stick (left for none to full on the right) to adjust while at the table in game mode....no pause during adjustment, though. If you can manage without too much fatigue or causing yourself a headache, the highest strength is very deep indeed making the low camera view fun to hit those most distant targets with (if the table doesn't kill the experience by having the simulation and framerate go into meltdown first).

Oh nice, who were you? ARCTURUSFATS? bahaha

Warpless

Wasn't sure how to redeem it or what I even won. They said 'table pack' which I assume means the 1-2 table packs you get, but I'm already a season owner so I'll just end up gifting the steam version of a table to a friend.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
picked up a xenon last weekend. playfield is wrecked, but i got a retouched clear-coated playfield to replace it with. cabinet and backglass are in gorgeous shape though, so worth every penny.

BawTZIwl.jpg

Shaneus

Warpless

Wasn't sure how to redeem it or what I even won. They said 'table pack' which I assume means the 1-2 table packs you get, but I'm already a season owner so I'll just end up gifting the steam version of a table to a friend.
Unless you want to see if you can get a full PS4 season and gift it to me? ;)

lol

Good idea. Make sure you pick the right pack to sucker them in!

picked up a xenon last weekend. playfield is wrecked, but i got a retouched clear-coated playfield to replace it with. cabinet and backglass are in gorgeous shape though, so worth every penny.

BawTZIwl.jpg
Best of luck! Make sure you keep us up to date with your progress. Also, before chucking that playfield, maybe look into doing something geeky with it like mounting it somewhere and putting Arduino (or similar)-controlled lamps behind it. It can look pretty cool.

Shaneus

I played an Earthshaker for the first time at Texas Pinball Festival last week. For a Lawlor table, it's surprisingly fast. I really, really liked it.

Not a fan of the artwork itself, but the game... yeah, felt real nice.

snaffles

BawTZIwl.jpg

That looks great, I just checked out a video of the table on youtube, it certainly has some "interesting" sound effects.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Diner pulled ahead of Earthshaker, 41% to 35%. Cyclone lags behind at 22%, but I'm confident we're going to see the rollercoaster trilogy in its entirety eventually.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I really like the coverage that the Classic Game Room guys have, and I think the content is pretty good too. I just started listening to them and one thing I don't get, maybe it's a inside joke, is why they have to say full company name + product name EVERY SINGLE TIME. "Sega Game Gear" "Neo-Geo Pocket Color" "Atari Lynx" 30+ times during those reviews.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I may have done it...I may have found a modded Tron Pro. If so, I will be selling X-Men and bringing my favorite game into my home. :D

Also, that Xenon is purty! Make sure you make a play video and share it!

Shaneus

I think when I build my collection up to a sizeable amount (read: more than three), there'll be at least one which is almost solely devoted to aesthetics. Xenon would be right up there in that regard, possibly alongside Centaur (although the game itself I love as well).

Early 80s pins are still some of the best looking machines IMO. They just went all out with everything because (for the most part) they didn't have a theme to push sales along.

Top Bottom