• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Shaneus

Ah.

You know, I think I'd actually go a black apron. Black with a quartz fleck thing if possible, but I think getting a blue or orange one will make it too garish. Use the lettering to add colours :) (maybe orange one side, blue another? If it co-ordinates with the PF artwork maybe, I think there's two with one on the right and one on the left)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ah.

You know, I think I'd actually go a black apron. Black with a quartz fleck thing if possible, but I think getting a blue or orange one will make it too garish. Use the lettering to add colours :) (maybe orange one side, blue another? If it co-ordinates with the PF artwork maybe, I think there's two with one on the right and one on the left)

The paint guy here at work (one of the owners) has a brother-in-law who owns a powder coating company. He said he'll do it for me for free, as long as he has the color I need. Niiiiice.

Also, I hate watching videos of machines I can't afford. I didn't really play a LOT of WoZ at Louisville, but I want to play it more...Problem is, there's nowhere to play it near me. Also, I watched a Papa tutorial on Banzai Run last night. That game looks like AWESOME fun.

So here are those pictures of Mustang I took. I really like this game so far, but I seem to be the only one I know that does. It's already being used in tournaments here.

The Rocky Mountain showdown start tomorrow. 3 days of pinball. I'll take of footage if I can. It should be fun but I'll be burned out on pinball by the end.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So here are those pictures of Mustang I took. I really like this game so far, but I seem to be the only one I know that does. It's already being used in tournaments here.

The Rocky Mountain showdown start tomorrow. 3 days of pinball. I'll take of footage if I can. It should be fun but I'll be burned out on pinball by the end.

Pinside seems to have mixed reactions as well...But hell, if I had one in my house, I'd be OK with it. Is that your game?

Also, I think part of the issue is that the Pro pulled out a lot of stuff in favor of the LE/Premium. Game LOOKS neat, though. I'd love to get some hands on with it.

Pinside seems to have mixed reactions as well...But hell, if I had one in my house, I'd be OK with it. Is that your game?

Also, I think part of the issue is that the Pro pulled out a lot of stuff in favor of the LE/Premium. Game LOOKS neat, though. I'd love to get some hands on with it.

It's not mine; it belongs to Dan Gutchess, who is a big pinball owner and player here. It's currently at the 1-UP in LoDo.

It kind if sucks that these big tournaments can cost so much, I don't have lots of money this year. There will still be around 150 machines on freeplay. It's great to see machines I haven't seen before.

If anyone if around Colorado, it's at the Sheraton in Greenwood village. Fri, Sat and Sun it's open for about 12 hours a day.

snaffles

Saw this on the Playstation blog so maybe next week for the tables and patch in EU/AUS, not terribly confident language he uses though.

pintzs62.png

Shaneus

Damnit, stupid patch (and PAL always getting dicked over).

Mustang is fine, but it doesn't feel like anything special at all. Also, I'm not a huge fan of all LEDs being full brightness all the time. I wish there was a dimmer option or something to stop them from being so glary
/oldman

I have a crappy Android device I used for an exclusive game (Ingress, if you must know) and I gave the Android HS beta a crack. Obvious performance issues aside (it really is a piece of shit phone), I can see there's been a lot of care in tweaking the game to play like the real thing. It's surprising that it's the first game where none of the shots feel like they have a vacuum at the entrance to help the ball go in (see: left loop in Creetch). Every bit as brutal as the real machine, from what I can tell. Yay! Criminal that they streamed it on PC last week and we still haven't seen it on Steam, though.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My Tron Chicks Translite came in today. This thing is GORGEOUS. :D

Now to work out getting it signed...

E: My coworker/friend just brought this in for me to put in the machine and get signed as well:

What's crazy is he doesn't own a pinball machine.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
What's the table? I see two pieces of toast have been added to the "O" in "off" and the gopher's hand.

snaffles

High Speed is a lot more punishing of mistimed shots than a lot of the other tables. I had 3 games in a row where I didn't even reach the demo score cut off point. Seems like it will be a lot of fun to learn though.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
After ten minutes, I got four of the five standard goals (getting the 145K bonus didn't unlock for some reason) and a score in excess of 4 million. Not bad.

snaffles

After ten minutes, I got four of the five standard goals (getting the 145K bonus didn't unlock for some reason) and a score in excess of 4 million. Not bad.

Now that I feel sufficiently shamed at my skills, I am tempted to just buy season 3 on Steam and wait for a season pass on PS3/Vita.

kramer

The iOS update says they've optimised the physics and it does seem noticeable. The ball feels a bit heavier. I like it.

Shaneus

Copypasta from PAF:
Holy crap. Just played the PC version, and as someone who owns a High Speed... they literally could not have done a much better job. Not only is it surprising how much it feels like the real table, but it actually feels like *mine*. Which means their version is setup as steep as hell (guessing around 7.5 degrees?). Which is good.

Few niggles (PC version): No rubber along the back of the orbit shot (as long as it behaves like there is, that's fine) and there are two flashers along the back as well which don't light up (particularly noticeable when you get an extra ball and the lighting sweeps from left to right, it only lights the two sets of flashers on either side and not the ones along the back). There's also a post or two missing but again, not noticeable. Biggest things are the flashers and the playfield rubber along the back IMO.

But man, I was a little worried this would play too easy when it was announced. And to an extent it's obviously easier than the real thing because it IS virtual, but all the techniques I use when playing the real machine (such as flipper passes etc.) are 100% accurate.

Bravo to everyone at FS, this is an immaculate looking and perfect playing version of my favourite table.

The iOS version is a *little* wonky though, but I'm sure they'll fix it:
I've noticed the iOS version is a bit buggy with the sound though. For some reason the audio is a bit more juddery and stop-start, like it's not looping properly or the samples aren't long enough so there's gaps in-between each sound (rather than being fluid). Doesn't happen on PC version.

Oh, and the navigation/button sounds are there when entering initials on the iOS version as well :(

Still a great playing table, but there are definitely a few tweaks here and there that need to be fixed.
Vita as well???
lol

High Speed is a lot more punishing of mistimed shots than a lot of the other tables. I had 3 games in a row where I didn't even reach the demo score cut off point. Seems like it will be a lot of fun to learn though.
It's punishing as hell. I love it because the game doesn't rely on rules for longevity, more punishing the hell out of you if you don't play it well.

Welcome to Skill Town :)

Now that I feel sufficiently shamed at my skills, I am tempted to just buy season 3 on Steam and wait for a season pass on PS3/Vita.
It's great on Steam. It sucks that PC is the only platform for a "premium" version of the table, but it's a great playing port of it.

Maybe do what I do, buy a regular season pass for one platform (for me, iOS), a Pro for another (in my case, PC) and for any others just buy the odd table pack to keep you going (though I may wind up buying a PS4 season pass or two down the line).

snaffles

Yeah, I ended up buying the season 3 pack on Steam, just been playing it at my desk with the keyboard so far, I'll find a 360 controller later and give it a shot on my tv. Definitely looks and sounds great. The multiball is so intense, certainly lives up to it's high speed title. Pinball really has gotten expensive quick, I have spent well over $150 on these games between this and zen over the last month, now to keep myself away from eBay and the lure of owning a real table.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah, I ended up buying the season 3 pack on Steam, just been playing it at my desk with the keyboard so far, I'll find a 360 controller later and give it a shot on my tv. Definitely looks and sounds great. The multiball is so intense, certainly lives up to it's high speed title. Pinball really has gotten expensive quick, I have spent well over $150 on these games between this and zen over the last month, now to keep myself away from eBay and the lure of owning a real table.

A real table will change your life. Seriously.

Minsc

Gold Member
Sad news indeed...

On a separate note, my first game of High Speed was a fun one. Went in totally blind, and scored like 0, 0, 4.8 million (and somehow got two free balls), 0, 0. Haha... I played like 10 minutes on the third ball, and the other 4 were under a minute each. Managed to get all 5 basic goals unintentionally on the third ball, so at least there's that. The light shows for multi-ball and the sound bytes are fun, it's going to look even sweeter if we ever see that DX11 upgrade. :(

Challenge mode looks interesting. I didn't try it, but it looks like you get award points for playing a bunch of different tables over a single run depending on how you do in them?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
High Speed seems pretty OK (only played the demo like 4 times)...But the music drives me nuts. It's not a favorite table of mine from the little I was able to experience. I'll definitely buy Season 3 as it comes out on Vita, but this one is like a Monster Bash or something to me...Gets a good amount of love, but just isn't for me. Sorry Shaneus - I know it's your favorite ever!!! :(

I think that's what makes pinball so amazing - there are SO many tables out there. There is someone out there who has a favorite table that someone else considers to be complete garbage (I'm not saying HS is garbage, don't worry). My personal favorite is Tron (if I haven't made that clear enough yet, haha). But I know some folks just don't enjoy that. AC/DC seems to get a lot of love, as does something like Twilight Zone (which I've found to be just OK as well).

Oh pinball...You so silly.

snaffles

I'm completely with you on Monster Bash, just doesn't grab me at all. However I am loving High Speed, it has quickly become one of my favourites even though I am not great at hitting the shots yet. All of the season 3 tables are pretty fun though so far, just Black Rose that I am fairly indifferent on. But I'll definitely give it some time to see if it grows on me.

Shaneus

High Speed seems pretty OK (only played the demo like 4 times)...But the music drives me nuts. It's not a favorite table of mine from the little I was able to experience. I'll definitely buy Season 3 as it comes out on Vita, but this one is like a Monster Bash or something to me...Gets a good amount of love, but just isn't for me. Sorry Shaneus - I know it's your favorite ever!!! :(

I think that's what makes pinball so amazing - there are SO many tables out there. There is someone out there who has a favorite table that someone else considers to be complete garbage (I'm not saying HS is garbage, don't worry). My personal favorite is Tron (if I haven't made that clear enough yet, haha). But I know some folks just don't enjoy that. AC/DC seems to get a lot of love, as does something like Twilight Zone (which I've found to be just OK as well).

Oh pinball...You so silly.
Hey, it's all good and nothing taken personally! You have to keep in mind with the music that it was literally the first game that had music playing in the background (as basic as it is). But if you think it's annoying, check out the next System 11 title Grand Lizard. I guess with nothing to really inspire them in the way of pinball music they were largely in the dark... which is why for most of the game they stuck with the basic beats which are reminiscent of the repetitive, hastening tones in Black Knight and Firepower.

Everything has to be taken in context. Even though you might not be directly comparing the music from HS with, say, Tron (as an extreme example), you may subconsciously be with a game like Rollergames or early WPC titles like Funhouse/Bride of Pinbot. Hell, even compare the music to the original Pin*Bot and you can hear the difference a half-a-year on in the short history of solid-state pinball makes. I'd even hazard a guess and say that music for HS was closer to being an afterthought than a significant focus a la Getaway.

Anyway, figured I'd give you a point of view in case you weren't quite sure why you didn't like it. I just know I tend to appreciate things more when I understand where they come from :)

In non-TPA related news, put in a metric fuckload of time into Mustang today for a tournament at a Comic-Con-esque event in Melbourne. Qualified for the main event tomorrow (yay) but have come away from knowing a lot more about how Mustang works. Honestly, more than anything it's great (and surprisingly noticeable) to play a game that hasn't been designed by any of Stern's pre-Trudeau designers. Ritchie games all have a feel, Borg/Gomez games have a feel (neither of which I like *at all*, they are largely unimaginative to me) and even though I'm not generally a fan of Trudeau games, I do appreciate them. And this is a table that has a pretty solid design but feels different from all other Stern games prior. And I mean all since the early days of Striker Xtreme. I don't know quite how it differs... possibly because it doesn't seem to heavily rely on toys to make the game look interesting. I mean, it does have the car in the middle as a showpiece, but it doesn't have 50 bazillion fucking needless, pointless toys all around it like Transformers, Xmen or Avengers (or even MB... in agreeance with you guys). So yeah, the design has a very non-Stern feel to it, which I like.

On that point, that actually makes me a bit more excited for the JJ Lawlor table. I have a feeling it won't feel quite as different as Mustang though, mostly because Gomez and especially Borg have aped the fuck out of Lawlor designs for years. Just look at the lower right-hand side of Funhouse and Tron.

Oh, and there's an awesome little nod to Steve Ritchie in one of the modes on Mustang as well. Hint: It's somewhat related to one or two games we've discussed on this very page ;) Can give you more details if you guys want, but it was a nice little surprise when I saw it and was pretty happy it was there.

Happy to answer any questions you might have on it!

Sad news indeed...

On a separate note, my first game of High Speed was a fun one. Went in totally blind, and scored like 0, 0, 4.8 million (and somehow got two free balls), 0, 0. Haha... I played like 10 minutes on the third ball, and the other 4 were under a minute each. Managed to get all 5 basic goals unintentionally on the third ball, so at least there's that. The light shows for multi-ball and the sound bytes are fun, it's going to look even sweeter if we ever see that DX11 upgrade. :(

Challenge mode looks interesting. I didn't try it, but it looks like you get award points for playing a bunch of different tables over a single run depending on how you do in them?
Norman (the sound guy at Farsight) was somewhat... hopeful(?) that the updated lighting would/could be used to good effect to show off the topper on High Speed :)

I'm glad to find out that my terrible first go on a real life High Speed a couple of weeks back is perfectly normal for first goes on that table!

And I'm really happy to see that we're just ten days away from new content on the PS4 version finally. Hopefully that brings with it a fix for some of the glaring issues we've been putting up with since launch.

Shaneus

Just finished up a tournament, few things:
* Liking Mustang. It's better than it has every right to be, and is different enough from Stern's previous titles to feel like a Stern but not feel generic (see: Borg/Gomez designs).
* Speaking to a friend (who came second!), his biggest suggestion was to get a Stern game as having High Speed is probably not doing me any favours. So I'm on the lookout for a cheap one that isn't total shit. Top of the list (am open to suggestions!) right now is Ripley's, which I've never really enjoyed but honestly, never really gave the time of day to.
* Pressure gets to me far too easily. Need to chill.

WOO

I got third place in the classic (solid state) tournament at the showdown.
Pinbot and pharaoh

I downloaded the pinbot table on PA last night to get some rules down : )

I lost early one early but came back with several quality wins.
Tiny trophy, 50 bux and some world ranking points

I should be qualified for the main tourney tomorrow. The top 16 play and I was in 8th when I left tonight. Metallica, AC(lightning bolt)DC. Tron and White Water are the games.

1000 bux to the winner. My unemployed add needs some Karma

It's always great at the big pinball shows. If you find one near you you should really go. Even if only for a day and you don't compete. They always have great events and guests and it's ~ 25 bux to play hundred of games on freeplay. The IFPA world championship is in Dnever in about a month so look for updates on that.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just finished up a tournament, few things:
* Liking Mustang. It's better than it has every right to be, and is different enough from Stern's previous titles to feel like a Stern but not feel generic (see: Borg/Gomez designs).
* Speaking to a friend (who came second!), his biggest suggestion was to get a Stern game as having High Speed is probably not doing me any favours. So I'm on the lookout for a cheap one that isn't total shit. Top of the list (am open to suggestions!) right now is Ripley's, which I've never really enjoyed but honestly, never really gave the time of day to.
* Pressure gets to me far too easily. Need to chill.

Just decide on a budget and THEN start hunting for a Stern. If there's one thing I learned in my Stern hunt, it's that there are a LOT of games whose value makes absolutely no sense.

And it's interesting...Mustang is getting a lot more praise than I thought it would. SO many folks were convinced Mustang would suck, but I think they were judging the theme vs the gameplay.

WOO

I got third place in the classic (solid state) tournament at the showdown.
Pinbot and pharaoh

I downloaded the pinbot table on PA last night to get some rules down : )

I lost early one early but came back with several quality wins.
Tiny trophy, 50 bux and some world ranking points

I should be qualified for the main tourney tomorrow. The top 16 play and I was in 8th when I left tonight. Metallica, AC(lightning bolt)DC. Tron and White Water are the games.

1000 bux to the winner. My unemployed add needs some Karma

It's always great at the big pinball shows. If you find one near you you should really go. Even if only for a day and you don't compete. They always have great events and guests and it's ~ 25 bux to play hundred of games on freeplay. The IFPA world championship is in Dnever in about a month so look for updates on that.

Congrats! Love me some Pin*bot! And that's an interesting lineup for the main tourney. I'm happy to see Met and AC/DC doing well, but I feel like those two are getting overplayed. I haven't played either, though. Maybe they're really just that good. And seeing WH2O in the finals is unique. Should be great!

And yes - anyone who lives nearish a pinball show needs to go. Not even just for the pinball, but often times they have arcade games, too. Louisville was a BLAST because not only did I get to rock some killer pinball, but I got to play TRON (the OG arcade), Tekken 2, Area 51 (which I beat), and a ton of others. It's a really fun time - grab a non-pinball playing friend and convert them! ;)

Also, your comment got me thinking. These folks who have tons of tourney points who travel from all over the world...I can't figure out what they do for a living. Some guys show up at like, EVERY tournament. That makes me think this IS what they do, haha. It's insane.

Shaneus

Just decide on a budget and THEN start hunting for a Stern. If there's one thing I learned in my Stern hunt, it's that there are a LOT of games whose value makes absolutely no sense.
Budget is as little as possible. I just want something I know is decent (and I know that pre-Spidey(ish) Stern machines are more miss than hit) and handles like a new Stern machine so I can get a good feel for them.

And it's interesting...Mustang is getting a lot more praise than I thought it would. SO many folks were convinced Mustang would suck, but I think they were judging the theme vs the gameplay.
Surprising me, too. I can't wait to play it in a non-competition setting, just for enjoyment (I should've played like that anyway, but that's another story).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Any more modern Stern will run $2-2.5k min. I think RBION can be had for somewhere in that range. At least here in the states...

Congrats! Love me some Pin*bot! And that's an interesting lineup for the main tourney. I'm happy to see Met and AC/DC doing well, but I feel like those two are getting overplayed. I haven't played either, though. Maybe they're really just that good. And seeing WH2O in the finals is unique. Should be great!

And yes - anyone who lives nearish a pinball show needs to go. Not even just for the pinball, but often times they have arcade games, too. Louisville was a BLAST because not only did I get to rock some killer pinball, but I got to play TRON (the OG arcade), Tekken 2, Area 51 (which I beat), and a ton of others. It's a really fun time - grab a non-pinball playing friend and convert them! ;)

Also, your comment got me thinking. These folks who have tons of tourney points who travel from all over the world...I can't figure out what they do for a living. Some guys show up at like, EVERY tournament. That makes me think this IS what they do, haha. It's insane.

Yeah, ACDC is great but most of us wanted to see Star Trek instead. Also, from what I can tell, most of the very top players are either rich and do this for fun or they are operate pinball somewhere. That way they can do some business and right the trip off as a business trip.

I checked the standing and I'm still 9th so I'll be playing. Actually I have to go down there right now. I'll have to play some tough people and I really suck at Metallica so we will see.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah, ACDC is great but most of us wanted to see Star Trek instead. Also, from what I can tell, most of the very top players are either rich and do this for fun or they are operate pinball somewhere. That way they can do some business and right the trip off as a business trip.

I checked the standing and I'm still 9th so I'll be playing. Actually I have to go down there right now. I'll have to play some tough people and I really suck at Metallica so we will see.

The new Star Trek would have been cool. I wish there were more outlets for me to play here in Indy. The best option for me is just over an hour away up at Purdue, but the place is only open 7-11 PM. I don't like doing that drive late at night...Cops man, fricken cops.

I wish more places would host machines. There's supposedly an Elvis machine at the Buffalo Wild Wings just south of me (like 10 minutes away), but I'd feel weird walking into a restaurant just to play their pin.

Shaneus

Any more modern Stern will run $2-2.5k min. I think RBION can be had for somewhere in that range. At least here in the states...
The HUO RBION I've spotted is $3400AUD (and mentioned it had been reduced, has been advertised for about 2.5 weeks now so I could likely get it even cheaper). Pins are around $1000 extra here, with EMs in decent condition going for ~$1300+ and second-hand Pro Sterns (like AC/DC Pro) still commanding ~$4500AUD+ at a minimum :(

I suspect an RBION (esp. HUO) would likely hold it's value better than a newer Stern Pro, too.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You ever hit up one of those container openings Pinheadz was talking about? Could be a great way to score a more modern game for a little cheaper? Or is that where you were getting your prices from?

Shaneus

You ever hit up one of those container openings Pinheadz was talking about? Could be a great way to score a more modern game for a little cheaper? Or is that where you were getting your prices from?
Nah, this was just on a forum. The container listings I've seen very rarely have new-era Stern machines. I believe I've seen some Baywatch and possibly up to South Park in photos, but that's about it. Doubt I'd get anything new(ish) that I'd actually like anyway. Even knocking off a grand or so from the prices I'm seeing on Australian forums (where prices are usually better than eBay) it still looks like a $3k-ish RBION is the best deal on a game I think I might enjoy (vs. the loads of others I likely wouldn't, like NASCAR, RCT, CSI, 24, Elvis etc.). All the others (Iron Man, Spidey etc.) all command a higher price mostly because of their theme.

Fake edit: Up to 2010, the only Stern games I know I like are RBION, Spiderman and Batman. Feelers are out on Pinside to see if I can get RBION flippers feeling like Star Trek flippers now. Hoping for a positive response. But yeah, prices for machines post-2010 would be way out of the league for what I want to pay.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
IM and SM are both really good games...I prefer IM myself. Even in the states they fetch $5.5k+ (although SM is coming down).

I guess one of the pin related benefits of living in the states is the significantly cheaper pins. What does it even cost to get a game shipped there from the USA? Any idea?

Shaneus

About a grand. Europe is cheaper, but I think that's only because I only ever hear of them coming over 30-40 at a time.

But yeah, you confirmed my statement... there's only one or two good machines pre-IM from Stern. And only one of those can be had for cheap. Keep in mind this is more for tournament play practice or what have you (hence the low budget), but I don't want a pin that I won't actually enjoy (hence the limited selection).

I won't be fussed if I don't get this HUO one or find another, it just means I'll need to play HS less because I think that's hurting my tourney play more than it's helping.

Went to PAX East, had a hell of a time. Hung out with the Farsight guys for a bit, played a lot of Harley-Davison.

Only tidbit worth sharing is that, yes, its likely all 3 tables will be around come the next set of tables, just the winner will be season 3.

They also specifically mentioned that everyone wanted to do "Big Bang Bar" for Pinball After Dark, but still have a emulation/mechanical issue to work out with the Capcom tables.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
About a grand. Europe is cheaper, but I think that's only because I only ever hear of them coming over 30-40 at a time.

But yeah, you confirmed my statement... there's only one or two good machines pre-IM from Stern. And only one of those can be had for cheap. Keep in mind this is more for tournament play practice or what have you (hence the low budget), but I don't want a pin that I won't actually enjoy (hence the limited selection).

I won't be fussed if I don't get this HUO one or find another, it just means I'll need to play HS less because I think that's hurting my tourney play more than it's helping.

I don't know, you've got PotC, TSPP, LotR, IJ4, FG, Shrek...I think they made a good number of games pre-IM that are worthy of owning. I mean, tastes are tastes, but some of the pre-IM tables are considered VERY good games.

Having said that, the ones I listed all go for ~$4k+ here in the states. Unless you're going to throw $5k on the table, you're pretty much limited to RBION as being one of the great pre-IM games.

Went to PAX East, had a hell of a time. Hung out with the Farsight guys for a bit, played a lot of Harley-Davison.

Only tidbit worth sharing is that, yes, its likely all 3 tables will be around come the next set of tables, just the winner will be season 3.

They also specifically mentioned that everyone wanted to do "Big Bang Bar" for Pinball After Dark, but still have a emulation/mechanical issue to work out with the Capcom tables.

How much pinball was had at PAX? I can't imagine too much...But then again, I don't know the shows very well.

Regarding BBB, I've not played it or seen it. I did watch a video about it, though. The game seems "meh". What's so special about it? The limited quantity? The colors? The theme? And what IS Pinball After Dark?

Shaneus

I don't know, you've got PotC, TSPP, LotR, IJ4, FG, Shrek...I think they made a good number of games pre-IM that are worthy of owning. I mean, tastes are tastes, but some of the pre-IM tables are considered VERY good games.

Having said that, the ones I listed all go for ~$4k+ here in the states. Unless you're going to throw $5k on the table, you're pretty much limited to RBION as being one of the great pre-IM games.
Yeah, I've played all of those save for IJ4 and LotR and I would even go so far to say I actively dislike (vs. just not liking) them. IJ4 I'm curious about because I can't even recall the layout, but I've seen LotR and know that it'd a) be expensive because of the theme's appeal, b) excessively complex.

Glad you mentioned IJ4 though, that could well be something that might go for cheap and may not be too bad a playing game.

But I'm not wrong in thinking that Ripley's is well-regarded in that era, yes?

Edit: On BBB, it was a combination of things. The theme was unique, art is great (check out my photos of it from TPF, despite it not being powered up), sound and DMD work is sensational, too (going by the Visual Pinball version). Oh, and because it's production either never went ahead or they only made a VERY small number. I suspect what happened is they made a stack of parts but only a small number made it off the production line. The re-release or whatever a few years ago was the putting together of the last few they could complete.

If you get a chance, play the Visual Pinball version. I play the full-screen one ('tate ye olde monitor) and yeah, you can see why people lust after it.

Any other Pinball After Dark news lately? It seemed to just disappear after the announcement.

Basically, its coming, but its on the back burner as they push to get things fixed and do the Xbone port. They said closer to the end of the year is when you'll see Pinball After Dark, the pinball arcade for the digital pinball table systems, and other such projects

Basically, its coming, but its on the back burner as they push to get things fixed and do the Xbone port. They said closer to the end of the year is when you'll see Pinball After Dark, the pinball arcade for the digital pinball table systems, and other such projects

Sounds great, looking forward to hearing more (about PAD and the virtual pinball tables). Thanks!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah, I've played all of those save for IJ4 and LotR and I would even go so far to say I actively dislike (vs. just not liking) them. IJ4 I'm curious about because I can't even recall the layout, but I've seen LotR and know that it'd a) be expensive because of the theme's appeal, b) excessively complex.

Glad you mentioned IJ4 though, that could well be something that might go for cheap and may not be too bad a playing game.

But I'm not wrong in thinking that Ripley's is well-regarded in that era, yes?

Edit: On BBB, it was a combination of things. The theme was unique, art is great (check out my photos of it from TPF, despite it not being powered up), sound and DMD work is sensational, too (going by the Visual Pinball version). Oh, and because it's production either never went ahead or they only made a VERY small number. I suspect what happened is they made a stack of parts but only a small number made it off the production line. The re-release or whatever a few years ago was the putting together of the last few they could complete.

If you get a chance, play the Visual Pinball version. I play the full-screen one ('tate ye olde monitor) and yeah, you can see why people lust after it.

No you're right - most people seem to consider RBION one of the best bang for your buck DMD games. It didn't quite click with me on TPA, so I've never made it a point to play the physical table.

And how hard is it to get Visual Pinball up and running??

Shaneus

No you're right - most people seem to consider RBION one of the best bang for your buck DMD games. It didn't quite click with me on TPA, so I've never made it a point to play the physical table.

And how hard is it to get Visual Pinball up and running??
Fairly simple, actually. You need to download the game ROM (most are already on IPDB.org or vpforums.org) and you need to download the table (also on vpforums.org). Just make sure you download the 4:3 table to play it in roughly camera 2 TPA viewpoint. Unless you want to have to muck around with settings as well (this is where it gets tricky) play it in windowed mode rather than fullscreen, as (for some stupid legacy reason) all landscape tables are 4:3.

Also have a poke around VPForums for things like the DX9 version of VPinMAME, as the last full "proper" release is only DX8 and is kinda crappy.

There's plenty of tutorials etc. on VPF if you aren't sure. I can answer questions here too, but it's a lot easier to throw yourself in the deep end and find your way around that way :)

Top Bottom