• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Finally playing Centaur, and man, not only is that game forcing me to learn some real shot control, its great at helping me juggle multiballs. 5-ball multiball is absolute chaos.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I saw multiball start in Apollo 13 one time.

It was as if someone shot an anthropomorphic pinball machine in the gut and it began spewing shiny globules of steel blood.

Shaneus

Found a pizza restaurant in my city that has a Medieval Madness. Hopefully they open for lunch on Saturdays so I can kill some time there :)

The HUO Ripley's is about third or fourth-hand, but that's okay... at least it's still HUO. I'm not expecting to keep it for more than a year or so anyway, and I'm hoping it holds it's value. Hopefully it might even go up a little in value, as there's such a weird price gap between some solid Stern games (like RBION) and others (like Transformers, Iron Man... hell, even like Avatar and Batman). I also like that it's less "let's put big fucking toys everywhere" like most modern Stern machines are.

Endo Punk

Saving the princess is super easy once you remember that you literally have unlimited balls. Just don't worry about losing any balls down the middle and go nuts :)
Infinite balls? You mean your game doesn't reset if you lose? I have to start from square one and get all the jewels again if I lose my 3 balls :|
edit: Just realised you need to own the pro tables to get such perks.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Infinite balls? You mean your game doesn't reset if you lose? I have to start from square one and get all the jewels again if I lose my 3 balls :|
edit: Just realised you need to own the pro tables to get such perks.

No, during Save the Princess, you have a time limit sort of. Draining balls doesn't cause you to lose...You only lose if you don't save the princess before the genie reclaims her or whatever.

Pro just allows you to change features similar to an actual machine - extra ball settings, number of balls, etc.

Endo Punk

No, during Save the Princess, you have a time limit sort of. Draining balls doesn't cause you to lose...You only lose if you don't save the princess before the genie reclaims her or whatever.

Pro just allows you to change features similar to an actual machine - extra ball settings, number of balls, etc.
Yeah I reached that part with infinite balls. My dumb ass couldn't save the princess :( Felt like throwing my controller out the window lol.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah I reached that part with infinite balls. My dumb ass couldn't save the princess :( Felt like throwing my controller out the window lol.

The rush of reaching that mode can make it tough to score all the shots repeatedly! First time I made it last year I failed. Every other time I've managed to do work on that mode. ;)

Practice practice practice!

Shane - what's the story on the RBION pin? You going to grab it??

Shaneus

The rush of reaching that mode can make it tough to score all the shots repeatedly! First time I made it last year I failed. Every other time I've managed to do work on that mode. ;)

Practice practice practice!

Shane - what's the story on the RBION pin? You going to grab it??
Looking at it on Monday (so 24ish hours from now). I don't think I'll have a go/no-go price for it (given he's asking $3400) but seeing as he's already lowered the price once (no idea what he lowered it *from*) and it's been up for a few weeks (not sure why there's literally no bites yet) I think $2800-3000 is not an unreasonable expectation.

But like I think I mentioned here, I don't see it being a machine that I have for more than a year or so. Not even going to mod it that much... probably the mod they used on the scoop in this and the LotR coils (which are a little more powerful than the standard ones).

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
they're multiplying.

qucET8P.jpg

absolutely thrilled to have tracked down a WCS94, especially one in incredible shape :D

Shaneus

Ohhhh SHIT! Nice score. Good to get a game that plays significantly different from High Speed as well. I love Steve Ritchie, but the idea of two flow games is not appealing. Which is why I'm looking at a Ripley's tomorrow :D

Can I ask how much for that? Any noticeable bad wear? From what I can tell, looks clean as hell. Nice lookin cab, playfield looks bright and flawless (and LEDs?). You've done well.

Will definitely be on my list of machines to get, more than likely after I'm done with RBION. I only picture having it for a year or two (though anything can happen), figure I should be able to sell it and get a WCS94 with some change left over.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
paid 1800 for it, which im cool with because im a huge soccer fan and from a theme+playability perspective, this is a dream pin. issues are the ball doesn't spin and there is some bad wear around one of the kickouts. some cliffy's and a little work on the ball and it'll be in stunning shape

Shaneus

Yeah man, that's a steal. You'll always find wear in those usual spots anyway, and on tables where there's wear in a non-kickout area (like the magnet on The Shadow), there's almost always decals available.

Guarantee you the spinning ball will be an easy fix, too.

I never realised WCS was a John Popadiuk (Theatre of Magic, TotAN) machine until fairly recently. Honestly, out of all his games it's probably my favourite.

Yeah man, that's a steal. You'll always find wear in those usual spots anyway, and on tables where there's wear in a non-kickout area (like the magnet on The Shadow), there's almost always decals available.

Guarantee you the spinning ball will be an easy fix, too.

I never realised WCS was a John Popadiuk (Theatre of Magic, TotAN) machine until fairly recently. Honestly, out of all his games it's probably my favourite.

Cirqus is my favorite of his tables. I love all the neon colours, the music and the different toys and stuff it has. It's a bit gimmicky, but it stands out for me.

Shaneus

Cirqus is my favorite of his tables. I love all the neon colours, the music and the different toys and stuff it has. It's a bit gimmicky, but it stands out for me.
I like the majority of it, but the music and some of the voicework is annoying as hell.

It's funny, after I listened to the panel from the Michigan (or midwest) gaming thing with both Steve Ritchie and J-Pop's opinions, I almost definitely prefer the latter's attitude to designing a table than The King's. Steve prefers the game to shoot right before anything else, whereas J-Pop gets the theme and art down and designs a game around it. IMO you can create shots around tweaked artwork and have it shoot good (look at ToM) but it's harder to make something that looks coherent and well-integrated AND shoots well (AC/DC, Star Trek... all great machines, but the theme is quite secondary to the flow).

Really looking forward to Popadiuk's new designs, too. Shame I'll likely never get to touch one unless I fly back to the US, but they have me excited/curious... pinball needs a new game with a solid art package and J-Pop is 100% the man to do it.

I like the majority of it, but the music and some of the voicework is annoying as hell.

It's funny, after I listened to the panel from the Michigan (or midwest) gaming thing with both Steve Ritchie and J-Pop's opinions, I almost definitely prefer the latter's attitude to designing a table than The King's. Steve prefers the game to shoot right before anything else, whereas J-Pop gets the theme and art down and designs a game around it. IMO you can create shots around tweaked artwork and have it shoot good (look at ToM) but it's harder to make something that looks coherent and well-integrated AND shoots well (AC/DC, Star Trek... all great machines, but the theme is quite secondary to the flow).

Really looking forward to Popadiuk's new designs, too. Shame I'll likely never get to touch one unless I fly back to the US, but they have me excited/curious... pinball needs a new game with a solid art package and J-Pop is 100% the man to do it.

ST:TNG is one of the best matches of theme and flow in Richie's tables. I love hitting the spinner, around to the ramp shot off the upper flipper. That feels totally like hitting a faster warp, and obviously you have the teleporting balls too.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
they're multiplying.

qucET8P.jpg

absolutely thrilled to have tracked down a WCS94, especially one in incredible shape :D

You have no clue how badly I want that game on Pinball Arcade. LOVE. An all-time favorite, probably #1 on my list.

Shaneus

ST:TNG is one of the best matches of theme and flow in Richie's tables. I love hitting the spinner, around to the ramp shot off the upper flipper. That feels totally like hitting a faster warp, and obviously you have the teleporting balls too.
Oh, I think so as well, and it's probably the one game of his that's least like any others if you were going to double-up on a table of his.

You have no clue how badly I want that game on Pinball Arcade. LOVE. An all-time favorite, probably #1 on my list.
Calling it: We'll see WCS on TPA within the next 12 months. There are a bunch of licensed tables in a certain bracket that I consider to be "iffy".

When chatting to Norman (sound guy) from FS in Texas, he said that for each game there's a kind of "extra" little bit of budget that could cover something like, say, a licence for La Grange, likeness of Elvira or what have you (my own examples there). I can see the WCS mascot/license falling into that category, along with Bram Stoker's Dracula and obviously La Grange from The Getaway.

Edit: Pro Pinball alpha footage :)

snaffles

When chatting to Norman (sound guy) from FS in Texas, he said that for each game there's a kind of "extra" little bit of budget that could cover something like, say, a licence for La Grange, likeness of Elvira or what have you (my own examples there). I can see the WCS mascot/license falling into that category, along with Bram Stoker's Dracula and obviously La Grange from The Getaway.

I am not sure but EA having the FIFA license exclusivity may be a stumbling block for them there. No idea if it relates to just soccer video games or covers stuff like pinball though as well. Would be nice to have World Cup 94 in TPA all the same, it is one of the two pinball machines I can actually play in my town so it would be fun to be able to compare them.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
2.16bil on BoP. Managed to hit Billionaire Club twice. I kept spinning the big wheel, bit it would never show up. Frustrating.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I am not sure but EA having the FIFA license exclusivity may be a stumbling block for them there. No idea if it relates to just soccer video games or covers stuff like pinball though as well. Would be nice to have World Cup 94 in TPA all the same, it is one of the two pinball machines I can actually play in my town so it would be fun to be able to compare them.

I'm hopeful that we can see World Cup Soccer, maybe a Kickstarter is in order, and since the World Cup is coming up soon...

Oh, I think so as well, and it's probably the one game of his that's least like any others if you were going to double-up on a table of his.

Calling it: We'll see WCS on TPA within the next 12 months. There are a bunch of licensed tables in a certain bracket that I consider to be "iffy".

Edit: Pro Pinball alpha footage :)

did I miss something? has Bram Stoker's Dracula been announced? Bit of personal favourite of mine that one.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Trying to decide what game to look for to compliment TRON. Harder than I thought...

E: Listening to episode 78 of Coast2Coast. I love how during the last interview, all I can think of is, "They're playing TRON in the background!"

Shaneus

Trying to decide what game to look for to compliment TRON. Harder than I thought...

E: Listening to episode 78 of Coast2Coast. I love how during the last interview, all I can think of is, "They're playing TRON in the background!"
Is that the most recent one? You would've heard me mentioned twice, kinda 3 if you consider Nate talking about how good Joust is :)

Didn't get to check out that RBION yesterday, guy said he wasn't available for me to look at it :/ Getting a feeling this might be one of those things you hear when someone gets strung along and it turns out they had another buyer or something. Fingers crossed.

did I miss something? has Bram Stoker's Dracula been announced? Bit of personal favourite of mine that one.
Nah, but there's speculation we might be seeing it this year. This is only going by comments on FS' FB page, which aren't exactly known for being reliable/accurate.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm not a huge Gottlieb fan, but i really like Victory for some reason. I keep coming back to it for some reason lately.

Ditto. But don't tell anyone on Pinside that, haha. That table is apparently garbage, but I also find it to be fun. I think its why I wouldn't mind an I500 if one popped up for cheap. Race themed games are always a soft spot for me.

Shaneus

Ditto. But don't tell anyone on Pinside that, haha. That table is apparently garbage, but I also find it to be fun. I think its why I wouldn't mind an I500 if one popped up for cheap. Race themed games are always a soft spot for me.
I500 is very different to Victory though. Victory's closest cousin is probably Mustang. Despise the drop targets that close to the flippers though. IMO the best usage of targets directly in front of the flippers is Firepower. At least with those, having them either side of the middle means they're not always drain monsters. With Mustang, I'd ditch the toy and move the entire bank up an inch or two.

Get yourself a High Speed and be happy :p Or if you're willing to stretch the "racing theme" thing a little bit, No Fear. If I ditch my High Speed for another Ritchie game, it'll be that.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I500 is very different to Victory though. Victory's closest cousin is probably Mustang. Despise the drop targets that close to the flippers though. IMO the best usage of targets directly in front of the flippers is Firepower. At least with those, having them either side of the middle means they're not always drain monsters. With Mustang, I'd ditch the toy and move the entire bank up an inch or two.

Get yourself a High Speed and be happy :p Or if you're willing to stretch the "racing theme" thing a little bit, No Fear. If I ditch my High Speed for another Ritchie game, it'll be that.

I didn't enjoy the time I put on HS via TPA. Maybe I need to play an actual table, but it just didn't work for me. I'm possibly hunting down a BSD or a JP. I'll see what leads come up.

Shaneus

I didn't enjoy the time I put on HS via TPA. Maybe I need to play an actual table, but it just didn't work for me. I'm possibly hunting down a BSD or a JP. I'll see what leads come up.
HS is a pretty good recreation of it's physical counterpart (I'd be inclined to say the best) but there's something that makes it a lot easier to play than a real table. Perhaps the more forgiving nudging, though even without nudging at all I was still able to rack up a score almost three times my best on my own machine.

A lot of it's appeal is the physical aspect of the game that can't/hasn't yet be recreated on TPA. Things like:
* Rotating police topper (obviously)
* Sound of relays clicking every time the GI flashes on/off (I'm surprised at how empty the table sounds without it)
* The thunk of the diverter and loudness of the habitrails

Thinking about tables I could see myself getting in the future, I definitely can't say I guarantee I'll hold onto High Speed (at least, my current machine) if I got the right price for it. But I'm still continually blown away with how much I want to replay it, even with it's almost complete lack of depth.

BTW Didn't you have a JP already lined up?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
HS is a pretty good recreation of it's physical counterpart (I'd be inclined to say the best) but there's something that makes it a lot easier to play than a real table. Perhaps the more forgiving nudging, though even without nudging at all I was still able to rack up a score almost three times my best on my own machine.

A lot of it's appeal is the physical aspect of the game that can't/hasn't yet be recreated on TPA. Things like:
* Rotating police topper (obviously)
* Sound of relays clicking every time the GI flashes on/off (I'm surprised at how empty the table sounds without it)
* The thunk of the diverter and loudness of the habitrails

Thinking about tables I could see myself getting in the future, I definitely can't say I guarantee I'll hold onto High Speed (at least, my current machine) if I got the right price for it. But I'm still continually blown away with how much I want to replay it, even with it's almost complete lack of depth.

BTW Didn't you have a JP already lined up?

Yeah, I did - but the JP is gone at this point. Looking around now...I don't want to spend more than ~$1600-1800. We'll see.

And HS seems OK, but it's just not for me. I don't know what it is, but it didn't click for me. I'll obviously still buy it on Vita, but I have no desire to own the pin. :p

Bummer about the RBION. I do hope something works out for you (be it with that pin or ANY pin).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, i'm always so jealous hearing about you guys all owning pinball tables. I have to actually go to places to get my pinball on.

The ultimate question - do you have space for one?

If so, it's not unobtainable! Save a little bit every paycheck and it will come. :) There's nothing quite like walking into a room in your home/apartment and seeing your very own pin. I have Shaneus to thank for it, too - I was contemplating a virtual pin, but an actual pin was the best decision ever.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Success-Kid-HELL-YEAH.jpg

OH GOD I'M SO HAPPY!!!!!

I don't know what the hell did you do my dear Fairsight pindudes, but after AGES, with the last update you've not only improved performance for the "old" iPad Mini 1, but went above and beyond my wildest dreams (always utterly crushed before) and expectations in finally delivering EACH and every table, DMD or not and rom emulated or not, in freaking butter smooth 60fps without any hiccups and stuttering of any sorts!

I was NEVER, EVER expecting to finally see TOTAN running like that on my Mini Gen1, I thought I was going bonkers at first but then I had a couple of buddies check the tables put on their devices and BAM! Shit was fixed for them too.

Now I can finally start buying tables once again. :'-)
Thank you! Again, I thought that train was missed and being that they had never bothered (or have been capable) fixing it before, now surely they would concentrate efforts to maximize performances on the new devices, with new iPhone/iPads in sight and all that jazz. Guess not!

Now to figure if I want to buy everything (53€ for the first 2 seasons, goddamn!) or can pick only favorites with the savings being worthy of missing out on some tables. I'm not sure that's possible tho, unless you're only interested in 5 or 6 tables anything more than that and you're looking at the same total spent.

But I digress, today's just CELEBRATION DAY! :D

Success-Kid-HELL-YEAH.jpg

Shaneus

Yeah, I did - but the JP is gone at this point. Looking around now...I don't want to spend more than ~$1600-1800. We'll see.
Fair enough. Don't discount older pins, either. Obviously not HS, but there are plenty of others which are stupidly entertaining and do well to offset your new-era DMD title. I don't get people who are staunchly DMD-only, their collections must be so samey.

And HS seems OK, but it's just not for me. I don't know what it is, but it didn't click for me. I'll obviously still buy it on Vita, but I have no desire to own the pin. :p
Totally cool :) Not trying to convince you otherwise, but there's a sense of urgency and panic you get when playing the real thing that I doubt could ever be replicated in any simulation.

Bummer about the RBION. I do hope something works out for you (be it with that pin or ANY pin).
Yeah, for now. It's far from being off the table, but I'd much rather have it locked in so all I have to do is pick it up. I suppose the positive I can still take into it is that my mate who would've helped me pick it up this weekend with his ute anyway (the guy who owns 30+ machines) gets to see it for the first time when I do, which means he can help me bargain a price for it (I'm bad at doing it on my own).

And it gives me time to tidy up my flat and actually make room for the damn thing ;) Shame I can't have both right next to each other, but that's gonna happen in a single-bedroom place.

Man, i'm always so jealous hearing about you guys all owning pinball tables. I have to actually go to places to get my pinball on.
The first step in getting one is definitely the hardest... but once you do, you'll wonder how you didn't have one in the first place. Easiest way to justify it is knowing if you buy smart, you'll lose very little if any money if/when you decide to get rid of it. I'll probably lose money on HS if I decide to sell it but it wouldn't be that much. Same if I get this Ripley's as well.
Older good machines are relatively cheap, too. A half-decent example of a mid-80s pin (think High Speed, Pinbot, Taxi, Whirlwind, Earthshaker) you should be able to get for under $1500 (assuming you're in the US).
Pinball machine-owning can be as expensive as you want it to be. That is to say, it's not as expensive as you'd think it is if you buy smart.

The ultimate question - do you have space for one?
I didn't have space and I still got one. And am mentally rearranging my living space Tetris-style to fit in another. I have a feeling pretty much everyone who would want a machine could find a way to fit it in their main living area (and if not, a garage or basement).

If so, it's not unobtainable! Save a little bit every paycheck and it will come. :) There's nothing quite like walking into a room in your home/apartment and seeing your very own pin. I have Shaneus to thank for it, too - I was contemplating a virtual pin, but an actual pin was the best decision ever.
Glad you did it! I think this thread has inspired a number of people to get real machines over physical ones... or at least, posters picked up real machines and mentioned it in this thread.
I know at least I find it weird that we've even doubled-up on a game (High Speed) between myself and someone else (whose name escapes me, so sorry :( ).

I think everyone should own a game from at least one era (I only consider three really, but added one for balance):
* Late 70s/early 80s - Firepower, Black Knight, Flash, Centaur, Gorgar, Black Hole etc.
* Mid-late 80s/*very* early 90s - High Speed, Pin*Bot, Wirlwind, Earthshaker, Taxi up to Funhouse, Bride of Pinbot etc.
* Early-late 90s DMD - WMS, Gottlieb *and* DE/Sega, from T2 to JP, MM, LAH etc.
* Modern Stern >2000 - RBION, T3, RCT etc.

If starved for room, combine the former and latter eras. Simple :)

Edit: Also, even if one has specific machines in mind, don't shy away from looking at other machines you wouldn't have considered. A title like Rollergames is dead-set fucking awesome but tends to be just obscure enough to not come to people's minds when recommending pins. Hell, I might see if I sell my HS and buy my mates machine :)

OH GOD I'M SO HAPPY!!!!!

I don't know what the hell did you do my dear Fairsight pindudes, but after AGES, with the last update you've not only improved performance for the "old" iPad Mini 1, but went above and beyond my wildest dreams (always utterly crushed before) and expectations in finally delivering EACH and every table, DMD or not and rom emulated or not, in freaking butter smooth 60fps without any hiccups and stuttering of any sorts!

I was NEVER, EVER expecting to finally see TOTAN running like that on my Mini Gen1, I thought I was going bonkers at first but then I had a couple of buddies check the tables put on their devices and BAM! Shit was fixed for them too.

Now I can finally start buying tables once again. :'-)
Thank you! Again, I thought that train was missed and being that they had never bothered (or have been capable) fixing it before, now surely they would concentrate efforts to maximize performances on the new devices, with new iPhone/iPads in sight and all that jazz. Guess not!

Now to figure if I want to buy everything (53€ for the first 2 seasons, goddamn!) or can pick only favorites with the savings being worthy of missing out on some tables. I'm not sure that's possible tho, unless you're only interested in 5 or 6 tables anything more than that and you're looking at the same total spent.

But I digress, today's just CELEBRATION DAY! :D
Nice! I wonder what chipset that uses and if there's any improvements for either my 4S or iPad 3. Not that it matters, they run it fine anyway... but I'm glad there's more people who can play it properly :)
Edit: My 4S uses an A5 (like the Mini) and iPad 3 uses an A5X. It's likely that any iPad 2 owners would've received a performance boost as well. I can't say I've noticed a difference on either of mine, but yeah, glad you have!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I was in the mood for something old school so I went and bought Gorgar, which is a blast. I didn't expect Monster Bash to be so much fun though. But I love the schlocky monster theme.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Nice! I wonder what chipset that uses and if there's any improvements for either my 4S or iPad 3. Not that it matters, they run it fine anyway... but I'm glad there's more people who can play it properly :)
Edit: My 4S uses an A5 (like the Mini) and iPad 3 uses an A5X. It's likely that any iPad 2 owners would've received a performance boost as well. I can't say I've noticed a difference on either of mine, but yeah, glad you have!

Actually the A5 in the 4S runs at 800mhz versus the 1Ghz it's clocked at in the Mini Gen1.
Either way, I thought TPA already ran @60fps locked on iPad3? I know I had the same problems on iPad 2 than I had on my Mini before, but I don't own one anymore so I can't check if it has improved any.

Shaneus

Actually the A5 in the 4S runs at 800mhz versus the 1Ghz it's clocked at in the Mini Gen1.
Either way, I thought TPA already ran @60fps locked on iPad3? I know I had the same problems on iPad 2 than I had on my Mini before, but I don't own one anymore so I can't check if it has improved any.
It does pretty much run fine, the only issues are when it tries to load up Game Center mid-game. But things can always be improved, I guess. For instance, like how it doesn't load my progress/score thing until after it's signed in (which is often slower than it takes for me to start a table).

Vyse24

Okay, is it just me, or is the Ripley table glitched? Twice when I still had balls left to play, the game sends me to the game over screen and I can't continue the game. Frustrating as hell when I start getting on a roll and this kills it.

Shaneus

What platform? Maybe check the official bugs list and table section on pinballarcadefans.com, see if there's anything known either platform-specific or global.

I haven't found any myself, but it's only been in the last week or two when I've started looking at buying one that I've been actively playing it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Data for the 2 new tables for PS4 is in the patch. There's also a list of bug fixes, such as dead table nudge on certain tables. Sadly I don't think this is the sound fix patch.

Top Bottom