• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Take your PS4 controllers apart and lube the shafts that the shoulder bumpers slide on. That's better than using the triggers.

Man, I'd like to buy Fish Tales and Black Rose. Since they won't presell seasons any more, it's a long wait for me.

Shaneus

RBION for $2700 or hold out for BSD. Damnit.
Don't steal my idea to get RBION! You bastard!

Seriously, it doesn't worry me in the slightest and I think that's a good deal (if it's in really good condition) but wouldn't you rather have two distinctly different machines? Is there a specific BSD you're waiting to see on sale or just generally?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Don't steal my idea to get RBION! You bastard!

Seriously, it doesn't worry me in the slightest and I think that's a good deal (if it's in really good condition) but wouldn't you rather have two distinctly different machines? Is there a specific BSD you're waiting to see on sale or just generally?

It's more that a stop and go machine like RBION would compliment TRON, no other reason. And because one popped up very close to me. ;) Believe me, if we could get it shipped to you, I'd assist you in getting it. $2700 ain't too bad for a good condition RBION!

As for the BSD, I'm more just looking to see if one pops up. I wouldn't say no to too many games as a compliment to TRON, and BSD is like, THE tourney game in the states.

Shaneus

It's more that a stop and go machine like RBION would compliment TRON, no other reason. And because one popped up very close to me. ;) Believe me, if we could get it shipped to you, I'd assist you in getting it. $2700 ain't too bad for a good condition RBION!

As for the BSD, I'm more just looking to see if one pops up. I wouldn't say no to too many games as a compliment to TRON, and BSD is like, THE tourney game in the states.
I don't think I can agree with you on BSD being a big tourney machine, at least from what I've seen on streams and such. The only constants seem to be newer Stern titles (of which you have one :) ). As far as older Williams games go, I think I've seen Shadow and TAF pop up more than BSD. But not by a massive amount... there's such a large spread of those titles that you have maybe 10 or 15 to choose from.

From memory, older titles I've seen pop up recently:
Shadow
JP
Indy (WMS)
BSD
TZ
Creech (probably more than the others)
Demo Man

Honestly, I think if it's tourney practice you want, it's more the feel of the flippers you need to train yourself on than the games themselves. Rules you can brush up on in TPA (or via Bowen's tutes). Even maybe keep your eyes out for a White Water. Good variety of shots that are both easy and hard, it's not a packed playfield and it's a ridiculously fun theme.

That's not to say BSD isn't a big tourney game outside of the streamed ones, but I've just not heard it mentioned as one that frequently pops up.

Oh, and I'm not stressed about not getting this particular RBION. No-one's visited the guy's thread in a week since he last bumped it, feeling good about getting it for a great price :D

Been playing Black Rose and Fish Tales. Fish Tales is as always ace. Black Rose I'd never played before until last month when I got to try a real one. I... I kind of like it. Is that weird?

Here's a really lucky ricochet in Black Rose...
I played one (or two?) while I was in the US, and I couldn't believe how much fun it was compared to the TPA version. Not that the TPA version isn't accurate, but in person it's just a lot more *fun*. The rail guiding the ball down the middle is stupid though, impedes view of the ball far too much. Should've used an under-playfield gutter or whatever.

I need somebody to catch me up on the PS4 version. So they're releasing new games on schedule but they still haven't patched the sound issue, correct?

snaffles

Been playing Black Rose and Fish Tales. Fish Tales is as always ace. Black Rose I'd never played before until last month when I got to try a real one. I... I kind of like it. Is that weird?

Here's a really lucky ricochet in Black Rose...

I have actually pulled that off a few times playing High Speed on the Steam version, always fun. I didn't really like Black Rose at first but it has grown on me a bit. I like the novelty of the cannon shot.

I don't understand why the Zen Studios guys can have no problem with getting patches and tables released worldwide across all the devices at the same time yet Farsight Studios seem completely incapable of doing the same.

Bebpo

Banned
So not only does the PS4 still have messed up sound, but the newly added tables ALSO have messed up sound.

It seems odd it would be some global sound option and not a table per table sound files basis. So weird...

So not only does the PS4 still have messed up sound, but the newly added tables ALSO have messed up sound.

It seems odd it would be some global sound option and not a table per table sound files basis. So weird...

WTH do they patch it half ass? I don't understand Farsight at all.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Ugh. Really unbelievable at this point.

snaffles

So another week wait on the PS3/Vita patch for us Euro/Aus types.
patchppb35.png

Shaneus

So another week wait on the PS3/Vita patch for us Euro/Aus types.
patchppb35.png
Oh, for fuck's sake. I see them notifying of delays after the fact, yet absolutely no explanation why when a game like TxK can come out on PSN within the span of 24 hours for both regions. It's so goddamn infuriating. I hope there's not a similar month-long delay for the PS4 S3 update/patches too, but I bet there will be. And of course, still no lighting upgrade for PC or ETA thereof.

Thanks for posting it regardless :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I don't think I can agree with you on BSD being a big tourney machine, at least from what I've seen on streams and such. The only constants seem to be newer Stern titles (of which you have one :) ). As far as older Williams games go, I think I've seen Shadow and TAF pop up more than BSD. But not by a massive amount... there's such a large spread of those titles that you have maybe 10 or 15 to choose from.

From memory, older titles I've seen pop up recently:
Shadow
JP
Indy (WMS)
BSD
TZ
Creech (probably more than the others)
Demo Man

Honestly, I think if it's tourney practice you want, it's more the feel of the flippers you need to train yourself on than the games themselves. Rules you can brush up on in TPA (or via Bowen's tutes). Even maybe keep your eyes out for a White Water. Good variety of shots that are both easy and hard, it's not a packed playfield and it's a ridiculously fun theme.

That's not to say BSD isn't a big tourney game outside of the streamed ones, but I've just not heard it mentioned as one that frequently pops up.

Oh, and I'm not stressed about not getting this particular RBION. No-one's visited the guy's thread in a week since he last bumped it, feeling good about getting it for a great price :D

I see BSD pop up all the time, but it could be because I'm watching older PAPA videos.

Having said that, I'm not looking for a machine for tourney practice since I don't compete in them. But the game is one that really pushes your skill to the max, which is something that sounds interesting.

More than anything, I want a machine to compliment TRON. :) I was really close to pulling the trigger on a JM, but the glove mechanism makes me worry about the flow. Watching videos of that bore me. Creech is a fun game, but I would never want to own it...Also, it fetches a really high price that I'm not going to pay.

I've never really looked into Demo Man or JD for that matter....Maybe I should?

WTH do they patch it half ass? I don't understand Farsight at all.

Their quality control is legendarily inept, it seems. I mean, I love the game, and it's worth playing despite the issues, but I should know better than to expect something that seems simple to get a timely fix.

I mean, I thought to myself, oh, they must be waiting for the next tables to be ready so they can roll out the sound fix in the same patch and only have to go through QA once... but, no. Of course. I really shouldn't have been so foolish.

Whose idea was it to release S3 tables before S2 was available on PS4? And then there's still no way to buy a S3 pass.

*sigh*

FarSight continuing to be themselves. The update is appreciated, but this is not a great way to do things.

Shaneus

Whose idea was it to release S3 tables before S2 was available on PS4? And then there's still no way to buy a S3 pass.

*sigh*

FarSight continuing to be themselves. The update is appreciated, but this is not a great way to do things.
They're doing it because the PS4 lighting upgrade had been done for all S1 tables but not S2. Given that the PS4/lighting-improved versions were announced before they started doing S3 for all platforms, they implemented it for the S3 tables as they did them (whilst it was obviously too late to do it for S2) and figured it'd be best to at least release the new tables than not have any at all (other than S1).

As for the S3 pass, FS announced that because they weren't allowed to sell an S3 pass on iOS for content that was yet to be released, they decided to ditch it for all platforms (though this hasn't taken effect on all platforms). So you won't be seeing a S3 pass until all the tables are out on each respective platform.

They're doing it because the PS4 lighting upgrade had been done for all S1 tables but not S2. Given that the PS4/lighting-improved versions were announced before they started doing S3 for all platforms, they implemented it for the S3 tables as they did them (whilst it was obviously too late to do it for S2) and figured it'd be best to at least release the new tables than not have any at all (other than S1).

As for the S3 pass, FS announced that because they weren't allowed to sell an S3 pass on iOS for content that was yet to be released, they decided to ditch it for all platforms (though this hasn't taken effect on all platforms). So you won't be seeing a S3 pass until all the tables are out on each respective platform.
Well, that's understandable about the timing of lighting work, but I'm really bummed out about the possibility of losing the mass discount before it's all available...I can't wait that long. Season 3 is going to be pretty expensive per table.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Played some more RBION last night. That damn table is growing on me - the only complaint I have is that the Vita makes it hard to see what's flashing and what you need to shoot at. Some countries are very tough to complete as a result.

Also played some AFM. I need to sit down and make it a point to just save all the cities one night. I'm always trying to save cities AND score points...I think it would be fun to finally "win" that table.

Played some more RBION last night. That damn table is growing on me - the only complaint I have is that the Vita makes it hard to see what's flashing and what you need to shoot at. Some countries are very tough to complete as a result.

Also played some AFM. I need to sit down and make it a point to just save all the cities one night. I'm always trying to save cities AND score points...I think it would be fun to finally "win" that table.

One of the few tables i've actually "beated" besides Scared Stiff and Circus Volatire.

Shaneus

Guess what I just bought ;)

Shaneus

Pics or it didn't happen!

I hope you did because that's awesome!!!
Oh, I did! I haven't picked it up yet, but that's okay... gives me time to do some serious furniture rearranging to get some room up in this place. But yeah, it's almost definitely HUO, no coin door (that could've been replaced, but doubtful) and the machine is basically in as-new condition, save for dirty rubbers (which I believe must be original, don't look worn just filthy) and a few *very* light scuff marks on the cab and a scratch on the inside of the cab from lifting the playfield.

Mods I'm lining up so far, from first/cheapest/most likely to least likely/urgent:
* New balls
* Cliffy scoop protector
* Cliffy magnet protector (if there's a magnet on Tron, I'd recommend getting one. Look under Metallica on Cliffy's website)
* New rubbers and colour-coordinated post rubbers maybe
* Scoop light mod
* All-over either cool white or warm white "retro" LEDs (that look like #44/47 globes basically)
* Mirror blades (possibly, are a bit pricey but have a feeling I could get them cheaper somehow)
* LotR flipper coils (maybe, flippers actually felt fine)

I'm slowly getting more excited about it as time passes. The thing felt amazingly solid (as some Sterns at the time did) and apart from telltale Stern trademarks from the era (the LED numerical display on the PF, a la Simpsons, RCT (I think), Monopoly etc.) and flipper feel, it could pass for a mid-90s WMS title. Lots of wireforms, neat little toys (two magnets in particular, the giant head I could take or leave) and solid art that doesn't look at all tacky (thanks to John Youssi, who did WH20, FH, TZ, TAF) or ridden with horrible Photoshop elements.

Honestly happy I came to realise it was exactly what I was looking for. I'm not expecting to sell it for a profit or have it hold value or whatever, but as an investment any money I lose (if any) will be negligible compared to how much fun I'll have with it (and how much better I'll play, hopefully!).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
That's awesome - early congrats then!

Cliffy stuff is always a good idea. Thankfully, there are no magnets on TRON, so no need for them for me...But so many folks have issues with magnet burn on their games. Very smart move on your part! Mirror Blades are definitely a cosmetic upgrade - I honestly didn't notice them on my X-Men, but maybe that's because I never saw the OG blades, haha.

I've been putting a lot more time into RBION on Pinball Arcade, and I really am loving the game. It's a really fun game with a LOT going on. The style and flow is also very different from modern Stern's, but also different from something like your HS. That's going to be a blast - I am jelly!

Out of curiosity, what did you pay for it?

I'm still in a pickle myself. RBION for $2700 or BSD for $2200. RBION offers a very different experience from TRON, but BSD is, well, BSD. I've been getting a lot of different opinions on this one, and as such, it's making my life even more difficult, haha.

Shaneus

$3200AUD. Which I'm pretty happy with, a solid DMD title of any era usually starts around $2200 or so for a well-worn one here, obviously even more for a HUO. It's had Nate's blessing as well, via email ;) Pinpedia has it in the same ballpark as well.

As for your choice, man... I dunno. I think you could resell BSD a lot easier than RBION if you had to, I was the only local guy to make an offer on it in the space of ~3 weeks or so on a popular Australian arcade forum (there were a few other offers apparently, but all interstate).

I doubt RBION will go up much in value anyway compared to BSD. If it was up to me though, I'd honestly probably still go the RBION. I wouldn't have said this a month ago, but I think I like the theme more than something like BSD. And it's a little more family-friendly, too.

But then again, Mist multiball... BSD is almost worth it for that alone!

Thank goodness it's not my choice ;)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
$3200AUD. Which I'm pretty happy with, a solid DMD title of any era usually starts around $2200 or so for a well-worn one here, obviously even more for a HUO.

As for your choice, man... I dunno. I think you could resell BSD a lot easier than RBION if you had to, I was the only local guy to make an offer on it in the space of ~3 weeks or so on a popular Australian arcade forum (there were a few other offers apparently, but all interstate).

I doubt RBION will go up much in value anyway compared to BSD. If it was up to me though, I'd honestly probably still go the RBION. I wouldn't have said this a month ago, but I think I like the theme more than something like BSD. And it's a little more family-friendly, too.

But then again, Mist multiball... BSD is almost worth it for that alone!

Thank goodness it's not my choice ;)

That's a great price for a DMD in the condition you got it. Congrats! I'm SUPER excited for you.

I find that I'm more excited for people getting a new machine when they don't already own like 6 Stern Premium/LE's like the folks on pinside. Nothing against them or anything, but it's obvious they have loads of money to blow...So it's not as "magical" of an experience. Getting your first/second/third (be it pre-Stern, Pro, or Premium/LE) is something worth celebrating!

And yeah, for my choice, I'm in a situation! Both games are great. The other option is to say screw it and save the money and just buy another Stern Stern Pro (which would mean my collection would be primarily Stern, which I'm OK with since I DO like Stern games).

Not sure what I'd get, though...I haven't played Mustang, but it actually doesn't look terrible. Star Trek looks like a pretty neat game, but I also haven't played that. I COULD wait for the next game announcement this summer, but if it's another music/band theme, I won't give any fucks. But at the same time, by then, newer HUO Pro's will have dropped in price.

This is a weird hobby, haha.

Fake edit: Yeah, RBION has stagnated price wise. It won't go up, and I'm nearly positive it won't go down. The only reason BSD would go up or down in price would be because it gets introduced to Pinball Arcade. If it does, you're either going to see people saying, "No need for the pin, already got it virtually" or "This game is tits. I need a real pin version!"

Shaneus

Hmmm... I'd go with BSD. I can't attest for how different the layout is to Tron (I think it's different enough) but the build of BSD will obviously be different, build quality *very* different and BSD... yeah, you could sell that anytime. I'd go with that, see how you like holding onto it. At least with that, you'd have the option of being able to flip it fairly quickly if you get tired of it.

RBION is almost definitely still worth getting, but maybe worth getting once you've cycled a few machines through your lineup first. BSD can be your honeymoon/mistress machine, RBION your wife ;) (or dog, lols)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm almost leaning towards BSD because I can keep it for a bit and sell it for $2k later on and upgrade to a newer title for only ~$2k + BSD. It's actually a SMART approach to pin trading! Woo! I think I may go that route...

So when you getting that RBION???

E: Here's the BSD. Condition wise, it looks really really good for the price.

IMG_0184.jpg

Shaneus

RBION hopefully in a week's time (pending friend's assistance in getting his truck/manpower) :)

That BSD... looks like it's in good nick, but (no offense) that powdercoating is GHASTLY. I don't understand why people take the undertone of a game (like the light blue in BSD) and make the whole machine that colour. It completely flips the aesthetic, especially when it's taking such a bright colour and overriding the dark one.

Gives you an idea of what your Tron would look like with light-blue powdercoated rails :)

But from what I can tell, that money wouldn't have been spent on it if it wasn't in good condition (I don't think). Looks like it might be a good deal :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Condition wise, the BSD is wonderful. One playfield scuff, but I can touch that up. But yeah, the blue powdercoating is meh. I mean, for $2200 it's hard to complain. But it's weird, haha.

And RBION in a week is fantastic! You'll have your RBION before I have my TRON! ;) Lucky.

And Junkyard coming to Pinball Arcade seems neat. I don't know that table, but I'm excited to try it out!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Double post.

Cirqus Voltaire is not fun. Like, at all. I have been playing it for 45 minutes and can't find any enjoyment in this table.

Shaneus

IRL or on TPA? I kinda like it on both, but I think I've only tried playing it as an experience, not as a high score run. I think as the latter, it'd be quite tedious/annoying.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Only played on TPA. The game just feels off. I want to like it because it has a HUGE fan base, but I can't. The outlanes are stupid on that game, haha.

I've never played Circus Voltaire in real life, but it's always been one of my favorite TPA tables.
It really pops in real life. The cannon is so much more evident and the neon tube is everything you'd expect. Were I to ever convince my wife to let me get a table it'd probably be my second choice after a good TZ.

Shaneus

Only played on TPA. The game just feels off. I want to like it because it has a HUGE fan base, but I can't. The outlanes are stupid on that game, haha.
Yeah, I hear ya. It really is a work of art in person, as are all J-Pop games (even WCS to an extent).

WCS should be your next game IMO. Or make that a goal (pardon the pun). When I live in a place that could fit more than two, I'd like it to be my third (technically fourth, if I get to borrow my friend's WH2O). Seems to be cheap enough, too.

I can't say CV plays fantastically in person, but it's far from a bad playing game. I see it being a pretty machine that plays alright until another one comes along to fill it's void. It could easily fit in a cycle of "good looking" machines in one's collection that would also include WOZ, BBB, Champion Pub, Centaur, Xenon and Spectrum.

Spectrum in particular is an incredible looking machine.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Diner won the poll! YES! That means it is guaranteed to release this year.

Shaneus

Yay! Another table exactly like Taxi! Woo! /sarcasm

nicoga: You should hunt down and play a WCS. It really is a lot of silly fun with a few great shots (particularly the goal net). They shouldn't be too hard to track down, either. Unless the theme means it wasn't that popular in the US... but it's certainly not rare in AU.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Watching TRON again...I seriously am so fucking hyped right now for my machine. My wife just told me that she is excited for the TRON pinball machine - like, legit super excited.

Also, I'm considering doing Season 3 on Steam...Damn Vita and slow updates!

snaffles

Also, I'm considering doing Season 3 on Steam...Damn Vita and slow updates!

That is what I ended up doing, I might get the season pack down the line on psn if it is discounted at some point. But as it is we still haven't even got the Fish Tales/Black Rose tables here yet and I just don't have the patience as nice as it is having the crossbuy across PS3/Vita.

Shaneus

That is what I ended up doing, I might get the season pack down the line on psn if it is discounted at some point. But as it is we still haven't even got the Fish Tales/Black Rose tables here yet and I just don't have the patience as nice as it is having the crossbuy across PS3/Vita.
You're in Europe/Australia, yes? I feel your pain. I wound up buying the base pack for TPA on the US PSN store. Can't use it via Cross-buy (Vita is already "AU") but I had no other choice to access 3D.

WOOHOO

Denver-20140427-00005_zps54604d7a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
They had the Mustang release party in Fort Collins today. The whole thing took about 6 hours. It was a long day of drinking and smoking and pinball but I managed to come away the winner! It's one of the first times I've ever outright won a tournament so I'm pumped. I barely got away with a few of those but it counts!

Shaneus

Oh shit, nice work!

What was your best score for the event? Curious to see how it stacks up with some of the scores I saw for the state tournament I played in here in Australia.

Top Bottom