• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Oh shit, nice work!

What was your best score for the event? Curious to see how it stacks up with some of the scores I saw for the state tournament I played in here in Australia.

My best game was ~ 60 mil but there were a few people who got over 100 in other matches and one person barely broke 200.

There were 26 people total and it was a double elimination tournament.

snaffles

You're in Europe/Australia, yes? I feel your pain. I wound up buying the base pack for TPA on the US PSN store. Can't use it via Cross-buy (Vita is already "AU") but I had no other choice to access 3D.

Yeah I am in Australia and am too far gone with PSN purchases dating back to my PSP, so I am not about to switch regions now and lose out on everything I already have. On the PS3 it doesn't matter obviously as I can play all the different region games there, but I'd be screwing myself on the Vita.

Somehow I get the feeling I'll probably be playing the new Star Wars pinball tables from zen this week, and waiting again on the patch to show up for pinball arcade. I'll be happy to be proven wrong though.

Shaneus

I hear ya, man. That's why I hadn't bothered investing in the PS3 ones, because I'd spread myself too thin (at the time) by committing to both 360 and iOS. And now PC.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yay! Another table exactly like Taxi! Woo! /sarcasm

nicoga: You should hunt down and play a WCS. It really is a lot of silly fun with a few great shots (particularly the goal net). They shouldn't be too hard to track down, either. Unless the theme means it wasn't that popular in the US... but it's certainly not rare in AU.

Diner is ten times the table Cyclone and Earthshaker are.

Congrats at the win! Must have felt incredible!

XD yeah I was freaking out. I've done well but I almost never win any events so at the end I was starting to get the shakes when trying to make the last few shots I needed. I get bummed out when I play poorly so it's great to just win all the matches.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
XD yeah I was freaking out. I've done well but I almost never win any events so at the end I was starting to get the shakes when trying to make the last few shots I needed. I get bummed out when I play poorly so it's great to just win all the matches.

Any cool prizes??

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Not really, just the trophy, some money and ranking points. They gave away some other small prizes in a drawing. Gary Stern was there as well signing some things. He has family in the area so I've ended up seeing him a few times.

Oh sweet - congrats! You in Chicago area??? My family and my in-laws live in the south suburbs near Mokena/Frankfort. Was that the release party in the city Stern just did??

Also!

My wife gave me a super early birthday gift (it's in October) to go with my TRON pinball machine that will be here next week. Limited to 1000 back in 2010 - she found these new in box online. A+ wife award.

IMG_20140428_185754.jpg

Shaneus

I think you've found your pinball topper ;)

It's a shame I don't have a Tron machine, I have a set of these which would look great as toys. They're about the right size to fit on a playfield, too:
S1ScThfm.jpg

Sooo, are all season "subscriptions" dead now, or just on certain platforms? I'm guessing they're not going to do a season three subscription for PS3/Vita or PS4? Will they do a season four one for Steam eventually or is that over too? I really like that setup. I'm assuming they will offer bundles on all platforms once all tables are released, at least?

Shaneus

Sweet, messaged Farsight support saying I had three tables from the original base pack on iOS but didn't want to shell out the full 4-pack price just for Ripley's, and they're gifting it to me for free. Woo!

Minsc

Gold Member
Sooo, are all season "subscriptions" dead now, or just on certain platforms? I'm guessing they're not going to do a season three subscription for PS3/Vita or PS4? Will they do a season four one for Steam eventually or is that over too? I really like that setup. I'm assuming they will offer bundles on all platforms once all tables are released, at least?

They should offer seasons for sale as a whole after they are finished releasing. So if you wait ~10 months after Season 4 starts to buy anything, you can get the Season 4 set and save 50% off buying the tables monthly or whatever it comes to... it's like they don't want your money now.

So they should release a Season 3 for PS3/Vita once Season 3 is completely done and Season 4 starts releasing individual tables.

They should offer seasons for sale as a whole after they are finished releasing. So if you wait ~10 months after Season 4 starts to buy anything, you can get the Season 4 set and save 50% off buying the tables monthly or whatever it comes to... it's like they don't want your money now.

So they should release a Season 3 for PS3/Vita once Season 3 is completely done and Season 4 starts releasing individual tables.

Wow, that does stink. Will that not offering seasons for sale before-hand rule also apply to Steam? I'm fine getting the tables as they are released on Steam and waiting until after the season is over to pick up for other platforms (PS3/Vita and PS4). And, wow, I launched the PS4 version for the first time in months -- I had forgotten how *terrible* the audio is.

Shaneus

Wow, that does stink. Will that not offering seasons for sale before-hand rule also apply to Steam? I'm fine getting the tables as they are released on Steam and waiting until after the season is over to pick up for other platforms (PS3/Vita and PS4). And, wow, I launched the PS4 version for the first time in months -- I had forgotten how *terrible* the audio is.
They said it would apply across the board after they were forced to do it on iOS, but it looks like Steam still allows it. Not sure where it sits across other platforms, I'm afraid. But it's definitely weird that they feel the need to apply that rule everywhere.

They said it would apply across the board after they were forced to do it on iOS, but it looks like Steam still allows it. Not sure where it sits across other platforms, I'm afraid. But it's definitely weird that they feel the need to apply that rule everywhere.

Ugh, that stinks that iOS forced it. Welp, hopefully Steam will stay immune -- I'd hate to have a 10 month+ drought if Steam is affected too (well, unless I bite the bullet and pay for individual tables).

Oh sweet - congrats! You in Chicago area??? My family and my in-laws live in the south suburbs near Mokena/Frankfort. Was that the release party in the city Stern just did??

Also!
I live in Denver. Gary has family that live here (his daughter I think?) so he has shown up a few times. There are tons of places that host tournaments here. This one was special but normally there are 5-4 tournaments a month to play.

Shaneus

I live in Denver. Gary has family that live here (his daughter I think?) so he has shown up a few times. There are tons of places that host tournaments here. This one was special but normally there are 5-4 tournaments a month to play.
You bastard. Here in Melbourne there's exactly one, and that's in a hotel that only has two machines :/ Soon my single-bedroom unit will have just as many machines as it does!

Psykoboy2

I'm not familiar enough with this pin to be jelly or not, ha.

Also, anyone play Zen/Pinball FX2? I kind of like having the variety. I just don't know which tables to grab. Any suggestions?

I do a series called Silverball Sundays where I pick a table from Pinball FX2 and play it while talking about them. I'm partial to big scoring tables with lots of loop combo potential.

Also, embargo on their new Star Wars tables lifts in just 10 minutes and I'll have those videos ready to go then as well.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I do a series called Silverball Sundays where I pick a table from Pinball FX2 and play it while talking about them. I'm partial to big scoring tables with lots of loop combo potential.

Also, embargo on their new Star Wars tables lifts in just 10 minutes and I'll have those videos ready to go then as well.

Fantastic - I'll give these all a watch to help me decide. Thanks!

I was getting really into this game on the 360, then they just stopped releasing for it :(

I especially love Monster Bash and would love to play that on a real table someday :p

Arabian Knights is great as well - I love being able to play without fear of losing all my quarters haha

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I was getting really into this game on the 360, then they just stopped releasing for it :(

I especially love Monster Bash and would love to play that on a real table someday :p

Arabian Knights is great as well - I love being able to play without fear of losing all my quarters haha

Yeah, I play on my Vita, but I'm slowly entertaining the idea of buying some Season 3 stuff on Steam. It's hard because I prefer playing on hand held (since I can bring it with me), but not getting updates at the same rate as PC is frustrating.

MB is a weird table...VERY expensive if I remember right. Seeing one in the wild would be awesome. And TotAN is one of the greats. It's fantastic to have access to a table like that so readily.

kramer

There were legal issues with Farsight's publisher and they couldn't release any updates for the last couple of years, on Xbox 360. That has been worked out now and there should be a full update including all the tables (up to, but not including, Highspeed?) quite soon.

There were legal issues with Farsight's publisher and they couldn't release any updates for the last couple of years, on Xbox 360. That has been worked out now and there should be a full update including all the tables (up to, but not including, Highspeed?) quite soon.

oh cool

though I really have no intention of purchasing the newer Xbox.. I rarely even use my 360, so if they don't release it for that, I guess they won't be making a sale there :p

good idea to get it on a handheld device, I hadn't thought of that

That was what they said at PAX. They said, for sure, when they do release content, its going to be everything all at once, since they just want to get it out there and not make people wait any longer then they already have. I will hold off since the Xbox One version is coming soon regardless, but it'll be good for those that want to stick with it there.

Shaneus

I'm not familiar enough with this pin to be jelly or not, ha.
It's the fastest playing Lawlor table you'll find. So much so, it feels like a Lawlor/Ritchie lovechild of sorts. I really enjoyed it, though the theme/artwork doesn't do a heck of a lot for me.

It's a Sys11 (which is a plus) and different enough to other Ritchie titles to avoid feeling like a fast/flow game (a la F-14). I'd probably get it over the vast majority of other Sys11 titles, plus dat shaker motor (and I love the Nev/Cal toy in the top-right of the PF. It's kinda genius).

How many days for you now?

Still no patch for Europe on PSN?
Nope. Wait until Wed/Thurs because that's generally when updates come out for us. Impression I get is that it should be this week, though.

Yeah, I play on my Vita, but I'm slowly entertaining the idea of buying some Season 3 stuff on Steam. It's hard because I prefer playing on hand held (since I can bring it with me), but not getting updates at the same rate as PC is frustrating.
iOS (and Android) is the best of both worlds. Android probably moreso, because they've recently introduced a high-LOD/detail option in it whereas iOS detail is fixed.

MB is a weird table...VERY expensive if I remember right. Seeing one in the wild would be awesome. And TotAN is one of the greats. It's fantastic to have access to a table like that so readily.
Yup. High demand, though personally it doesn't really do much for me... goals are kinda too generic (hit this X times, start the mode, complete it to get the instrument etc) and the humour feels like it tries too hard compared to, say, MM or AfM.
I'm kinda the same on TotAN re: popularity. Love the theme and artwork, but when I played it last (and the only time I remember playing it physically) it felt quite slow compared to the TPA version. I actually prefer CV in that regard (though is as equally expensive). Guess I'm both lucky and unlucky in that regard... I don't have expensive tastes so I tend to save money in that regard, but in another it means I'm less likely to experience the very top-tier games like those (and more likely to be underwhelmed when I *do* eventually come across them). Like Tron. I bet if I had more time playing it or there were more around I'd love it, but because they're so rare here in AU I built it up to be this amazing, perfect machine when in reality it's just a Borg table, completely devoid of creativity ;)

though I really have no intention of purchasing the newer Xbox.. I rarely even use my 360, so if they don't release it for that, I guess they won't be making a sale there :p

good idea to get it on a handheld device, I hadn't thought of that
The portable versions are surprisingly solid. Whether you go iOS or Android you can't go wrong. Less so with Vita though, as that tends to have more issues and is bound to the slower release cycle of the PS3.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm guessing next Wednesday/Thursday. The guy is travelling from Allentown starting Sunday I think. But mid next week will be TRON day.

However!

This weekend is a big tourney nearby. I'm going to help run it. Also, one of the guys who is in charge of it said that he will need a place to store an extra game or two...If so, he's going to let me take them to my place until he finds someone to take them off his hands. It will be either a Corvette or a Pinbot (or both). That will be CRAAAAZY!

Shaneus

Corvette is supposed to be a decent game. It's a Gomez so naturally I'm not super enthusiastic to play it, but it looks far from horrible. Are you able to enter the comp and help run it as well, or are you not (much) into tournaments? I don't think I've ever asked/noticed :(

PS. 7 days away. I don't know how you've been able to live without a machine for that long. I salute your mental state, you must've found zen some time back to keep your sanity this long ;)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I don't really know if I like Corvette (haven't played it), but multiple pins in the house is ALWAYS welcome!

And I don't get super hard into the tourney scene, but it's mostly because the closest place that does somewhat regular competitive play is about an hour north of me at Purdue...On a Tuesday night, from 7-11 PM or something like that. It sucks because I can't justify that time slot. They really need to do it on Saturday or something. Or just have more closer.

I have been playing a LOT of virtual pinball. Like, a LOT. It's been really damn hard. I've been antsy, ha. I've also tried to busy myself with other projects and such to take my mind off of it. It's helping, but these final days are going to be misery.

snaffles

Well as predicted I have the new Zen Star Wars tables installed and the super patch for Pinball Arcade is still nowhere to be found. The first two Star Wars table packs for Zen pinball are half price this week for PS3/Vita in both regions for Star Wars day if anyone is interested in trying them too. If you buy the PS3/Vita version you can also import them to the PS4 version, but it doesn't work the other way around buying on PS4 first.

Shaneus

Are they any good, though? I've always found Zen tables to be rather, well... shit. At least compared to "real" tables.

PS. I want to see more arcade/pinball parlours setup like this. Rather than be lined up, I love having them dotted all over the place. Means that more people can gather around machines, which is never a bad thing.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Are they any good, though? I've always found Zen tables to be rather, well... shit. At least compared to "real" tables.

PS. I want to see more arcade/pinball parlours setup like this. Rather than be lined up, I love having them dotted all over the place. Means that more people can gather around machines, which is never a bad thing.

I like Zen tables for a fun "gamey" experience. Some are really deep, too.

snaffles

Every table has demos so you can try them for yourself. A lot of people can't get over the fact that they aren't as "real" as the tables in Pinball Arcade, whether because of design elements or the physics. I enjoy that they are more like a video game and have modes that aren't even possible on real tables. I really love the bad sound-alikes they have doing all the lines from the movies too.

Was a huge ZP/PFx fan but the shift almost entirely to licensed tables ended up turning me off. I really liked the original tables they did. However after playing TPA I find I enjoy playing "historical" tables more. Zen nailed the social aspect though -- I hope that Farsight eventually gets there as well.

For Zen tables, I like them. You can download demos of them all though I think, so you can try them out for yourself and make up your own mind.

Probably taking another road trip up to The Pinball Wizard arcade this weekend. I need more real pinball!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Was a huge ZP/PFx fan but the shift almost entirely to licensed tables ended up turning me off. I really liked the original tables they did. However after playing TPA I find I enjoy playing "historical" tables more. Zen nailed the social aspect though -- I hope that Farsight eventually gets there as well.

Yeah, I don't really enjoy stuff like the Star Wars tables (which were free on Vita thankfully), but I've enjoyed some of the super hero tables. However, I would agree that their original content is far more exciting to play. Sorcerer's Lair, Epic Quest, Mars, etc. I hope they do more of those at some point.

Yeah, I don't really enjoy stuff like the Star Wars tables (which were free on Vita thankfully), but I've enjoyed some of the super hero tables. However, I would agree that their original content is far more exciting to play. Sorcerer's Lair, Epic Quest, Mars, etc. I hope they do more of those at some point.

Did you try the Football (Soccer) table? I mean, yeah it has licensed teams in it, but unless you buy one of those versions specifically the impact is minimal. It plays very differently to any of their other tables, which may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you feel, but it's very unique.

Again, I'd recommend giving the demo a whirl to see what it's like.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Did you try the Football (Soccer) table? I mean, yeah it has licensed teams in it, but unless you buy one of those versions specifically the impact is minimal. It plays very differently to any of their other tables, which may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you feel, but it's very unique.

Again, I'd recommend giving the demo a whirl to see what it's like.

Not yet - but that's not licensed in the sense of Star Wars, Marvel, DC, whatever. I don't mind licensed stuff, but that engine has SO much potential for really neat and creative original content. I've found myself playing more Zen on my Nexus 5 since I have it on me all the time, but PC has tables that can't be had on Vita OR Android/iOS. Also, I don't think Android has demo tables. Which sucks.

I'll check that one out since I liked the career aspects of it. It seemed really neat.

Gintamen

So I've downloaded the demo for Pinball Arcade and there is no free table to try availabe? Oo Am I missing something vital here?

Gintamen

Ah thanks, probably should have looked up the description of the demo.

edit: I really like the realistic feeling of it and the tables feel much bigger than those of Zen Pinball 2, but damn if it wasn't harder too. That newest Marvel table felt great too in ZP2. Can you offer a tip which game would be the preferable one for a rather casual player? Wish Zen would offer SW:IV,V,VI in one pack instead of spreading it over three different ones...

Top Bottom