• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Whelp, it seems we have an answer at PAF. You know how they said that there would be no Gottlieb tables in season 3? It seems like they lied.

image-7.jpg

Sausalito is near the northern end of the Golden Gate Bridge. Look at the backglass. Case closed.

DAMMIT SNAFFLES!

snaffles

I just did a search for San Francisco on the ipdb site based on the Sausalito mention. It made the most sense :)

Edit: I saved you from triple posting if nothing else.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I just did a search for San Francisco on the ipdb site based on the Sausalito mention. It made the most sense :)

Looking at the IPDB entry, and I see that Jon Norris designed it, and it has a decent 7.3/10 rating. I do wonder, however, how they plan on recreating all the backbox stuff. And the playfield has a rotating element, too.

Looks interesting. So, it seems like we have this, Diner, a mystery title, and possibly a Stern left to go.

Vyse24

PAF is saying that it's Lights...Camera...Action! seeing how Sausalito in by San Fran, which is where LCA takes place.

aaaaaand ninja'd.

snaffles

It does look cool, and it is nice to have a change of pace from all the Williams tables. I do like them but it is nice to have some more variety.

Vyse24

Played 2 games of Junk Yard. With no knowledge of the table going in, 11m 1st game and 23m the 2nd. Also 4/5 Standard Goals.

snaffles

So after a bunch of screwing around I can finally play White Water on my PS3. What a convoluted patching process. Complaints aside it is nice to have the patch here finally. I might wait on patching my Vita for the time being though, just too much messing around.

Man, the hate for Gottlieb at PAF. I'm happy to see the variety. Big Shot is one of my favorite pins.

I agree, both on the variety point and Big Shot being great!

Shaneus

LCA is a really good game in person. The only thing I don't like about it (which is exactly the same across all Gottliebs of that generation) is the horribly thunky, old-fashioned, heavy-feeling Gottlieb flippers. They feel so primitive and unrefined.

Holy shit, it won't be a problem in a bit but they forgot to create realistic high scores for Junkyard. I just got Grand Champion with three throwaway balls at 1.5m. PC version, no idea if other platforms are the same. But it's funny as hell, though!

It makes playing a trial version of the game literally impossible though, because as soon as you get to the first high score on the table (200,000) it's game over.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
60 million in Junk Yard. Beat that.

Also, LOL at the Addams Family reference. I know it was in the original game, but holy shit, knowing that was in there, and putting this table in the game anyways, is some god-tier trolling.

Odd, looks like somehow in the process of the super patch and redownloading my tables that my goals got wiped. I know I have achieved many of them, have the trophies to prove it. Anyone else seen this? PS3 in this case.

Odd, looks like somehow in the process of the super patch and redownloading my tables that my goals got wiped. I know I have achieved many of them, have the trophies to prove it. Anyone else seen this? PS3 in this case.

It happened to me months ago.

I just noticed one day while browsing the tables that most of them were back at either 0 standard goals or 0 wizard goals. One table (that I had the trophy for getting all standard goals on) was at 4 standard goals completed. It felt completely random.

It happened to me months ago.

I just noticed one day while browsing the tables that most of them were back at either 0 standard goals or 0 wizard goals. One table (that I had the trophy for getting all standard goals on) was at 4 standard goals completed. It felt completely random.

Was it on your PS3 version as well? It is a bit irritating, but again I guess it means I can enjoy the chase of them again.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Is anyone else having problems with Twilight Zone since the EU PS3 patch? It keeps asking me to download the new version of the table even if I already did that. Maybe they forgot to upload the new version of that table (got the Pro version from the Kickstarter)?

Was it on your PS3 version as well? It is a bit irritating, but again I guess it means I can enjoy the chase of them again.

Yes, PS3.

I've tried a few tables now and most them feel and look a bit better than before. Star Trek look a lot more vibrant somehow.

It's unbelievable that the bug on Champion Pub where the rope-jumping doesn't work if you play it in 720p is still there after this patch! It's hard to understand how a bug like that even makes it to release since you notice it the first time you play the table!

You sometimes start to wonder if they play the tables before releasing them?

kairu

I really want to like this game, but on the PS4 everytime I play the Arabian Nights table it drops in frame rate as the ball gets near the flippers making me miss tons of shots. Its super annoying. Has anyone else seen this?

Shaneus

Holy fucking shit.

Chatting to a mate tonight who's been moving all his machines, and in the shipping container he's loading them all into (storage, not to get rid of them!) he's running out of room... so I might be getting his WH2O to mind for a little while :D Reckon that means High Speed might have to take storage in the garage with a good dust cover on top, with maybe some occasional work to be done on it in the future.

Holy shit, a one-bedroom unit with a classic Williams and one of the few solid modern Sterns available. I'll be in heaven!

Anybody got a flashlight? ;)

Took me almost 6 hours, but DAMN is the Eli kit incredible!

IMG_20140510_143658.jpg
Jesus christ, fuck me DEAD. That looks off-the-chart insane! Coloured LEDs to match the bikes near the flippers look boss. Any probs with flickering/strobing or did you have to turn off fading at all? I dropped an LED in one spot on my game and whenever it tried to fade, it just flickered. Guess I need a resistor or capacitor or something for it to work properly :(

But man... that is a BEAUTIFUL looking game. From that photo, hands-down probably one of the best I've seen. Shame the backbox/translite looks kinda yellow though, be good if there's a way to get the whites looking proper white. Still love the ladies on it though. Damn.

PS. If you feel like trying to capture a video or two of it in action, I wouldn't complain ;)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks - yeah, game looks SO gorgeous now. The only mod left is the "always on" light cycle mod. I've got them here, just need to solder them up.

Regarding the LED's, they were part of the Cointaker kit. The previous owner bought that and put those in. No issues noticed - no ghosting, flickering, etc. And the backbox is just the standard tube, but I want to put an LED kit back there one day. First is the ColorDMD though - I need to get rid of that red.

I actually want to get a video...I may take one of my wife playing tonight or tomorrow. I don't have a tripod, so I sadly can't take one of ME playing.

E: Have you asked on pinside about putting LED's in your RBION?

Shaneus

Not yet, but I'm thinking there's not a lot of point if I'm just going to get the LED-OCD anyway. I'll do a search and see what I can find (everything Sega/Stern before WPT is in the same boat) but I'm not terribly jazzed if I need to drop ~$150 so I can use 26c LEDs :)

Can you run through a list of the mods you've done on that already? Other than the mini-arcade and Eli kit, I'm not sure what else there is that's different from a stock Pro.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Not yet, but I'm thinking there's not a lot of point if I'm just going to get the LED-OCD anyway. I'll do a search and see what I can find (everything Sega/Stern before WPT is in the same boat) but I'm not terribly jazzed if I need to drop ~$150 so I can use 26c LEDs :)

Can you run through a list of the mods you've done on that already? Other than the mini-arcade and Eli kit, I'm not sure what else there is that's different from a stock Pro.

I forgot about the LED-OCD kit. I've heard that is REALLY useful on older games (some people use it on newer, but I don't know why).

Current mods on my TRON:

• FF Speaker kit
  • FF Sub
  • Shaker motor
  • Cointaker LEDs throughout
  • Flynn's Arcade sign
  • Arcade mod v3.1
  • Eli's Ramp kit
  • Flipper bat covers
  • Full plastic protectors
  • Hooked's pop bumper caps
  • Stern slide rails (for access under playfield)
  • Blue/orange flipper rubbers
  • Buckwerkz audio adapter (took off because I won't ever play with headphones)

Not on yet:

• Blue start button
  • Light cycles modded to be always on
  • Powdercoated laser cut side rails and hinges
  • Powdercoated legs
  • Premium latch lockdown
  • New plunger (identity disc)
The only thing I have left to order (as I stated) is a ColorDMD. But I don't think I'm going to get one for a while. I'd rather save that money for a new game at some point I think...I don't know. We'll see.

Also, played a few more games. I love how the ramps light up depending on the mode you're in. During Light Cycle Multiball, one ramp turns blue, the other turns yellow. During Battle Rinzler, they turn red and flash when you hit the discs. I haven't made Quorra Multiball with the ramps on yet, but when you hit the Quorra loop, the ramps flash green. Seriously, this ramp mod makes TRON go from a 10/10 to an 11/10 in my book. If you haven't played TRON with these ramps, you're missing out. :p

For what it's worth, just doing an approximate cost of mods, it's well over $1000. Eli's kit + v3.1 arcade = ~$630. LED kit runs $180, FF speaker + sub runs $170. Shaker costs, uh...I don't know. But I would say Eli's Ramp, arcade mod, LED's, sub, and shaker are the REQUIRED mods for this game. The rest are just icing.

Shaneus

Oh shit, Eli's ramp mod actually syncs up with game mods? I had no idea.

You know, with the ColorDMD you can sync the DMD colour with the ramps... just sayin' ;)

Shaneus

It's official: I'm really not enjoying Junk Yard all that much. None of the shots feel *good*, the progression isn't really all that dynamic and the humour I'm just not that much into. I kinda prefer Who Dunnit, despite them being practically identical tables in feel (IMO).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I am realizing how much more difficult it is to play well when you have to manually nudge. I have no idea how to get good at nudging! A GOOD game of TRON for me is 15m+, with average games between 5-7m. Its insane...

Shaneus

That's why having your own machine is a godsend. You can practice as much as you like! I'm not very much benefited by it though, I have deep(ish) plush carpet, so the legs really dig in and don't move around as much. So the effort I'd put into a soft nudge at home would almost equate to sliding the machine on location.

I played some practice games tonight. Got some good use out of knowing the rules for Black Rose and TOTAN.

I have the job interview of my life tomorrow so I can't concentrate :p
Once that's done, people will be showing up for the big tournaments all week.

I'll make a main thread about it in a few days. The rules they have for IFPA are really interesting...and kind of grueling. It's a 14 hour day with a few breaks.

We have to go play 9 holes of Pin golf on Friday to see if we can even qualify for the weekend tournament. 106 players and only 64 spots open *yikes*

If you haven't played pingolf, it's hard but really fun. Each machine has a par score (they try to pick a high score) and then each ball is a stroke. Once you hit the target score, that's the strokes. Some of them are going to be really tough and it's varied. Your have to score 12 mil on Iron Man, score 600 in Kismet, and instead of a score, you have to lock a ball on Banzai run.

Shaneus

That's awesome. I wanna try Pin Golf.

PS. Wear comfortable shoes. And if you can, try to work out how to play without leaning on the machine. I have a friend who doesn't (kinda leans back a little) and never seems to get sore or tired.

Vyse24

I played Pin Golf once at Modern Pinball NYC. I was...well, subpar isn't exactly the word for it. You had to choose 5 tables out of 10 (or in this case 9 as 1 was being repaired) and you had 2 full games to reach the par score. If you didn't after 2 games, you got a 7. Sadly, since I'm not as good IRL than I am in TPA, the only ones I didn't a 7 in were Fish Tales and Banzai Run.

That's awesome. I wanna try Pin Golf.

PS. Wear comfortable shoes. And if you can, try to work out how to play without leaning on the machine. I have a friend who doesn't (kinda leans back a little) and never seems to get sore or tired.
: ) bought new insoles yesterday and they are great.

Friday will be about 3 hours but on Saturday if you are in, you play off and on from 10am until possibly midnight if you are in. You need to rest, eat, make sure you have an appropriate level of alcohol in you and try to watch some of the good players to see how games play and what they are shooting at.

You have to try and find the zone and then stay in it. If you sit around too long waiting for a match you won't be ready so you have to keep playing other games when you can.

Shaneus

Big news:
Planetary Pinball, Chicago Gaming and Stern Pinball announce Specialty Manufacturing Arrangement

CHICAGO, IL – MAY 14, 2014 – Planetary Pinball Supply (“PPS”), Chicago Gaming Company (“CGC”) and Stern Pinball, Inc. (“SPI”), today announced a specialty manufacturing arrangement pursuant to which SPI will make its manufacturing facility available to PPS and CGC to assemble their remake of the Medieval Madness (“MMR”) pinball game.

CGC, which has a long-standing business relationship with SPI, will assemble the game for PPS in SPI’s factory using SPI’s factory labor and production line assets. The game will be assembled with parts supplied by CGC which consist of original WMS specification parts combined with the new electronics and lighting systems designed by CGC. Final prep, packaging and shipment will be from CGC facility in Cicero, IL.

Very big news.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So, TPA's related (goddamn those sexy mods! TRON is 100x better now, fireworks' orgasm in pinball form... you lucky bastard :p), couple of things:

Played TPA on my iCade for the first time today (dunno why I had never done it before) and it was unexpectedly awesome! I want to add proper pin buttons to the side of its mini cabinet, did any of you guys already did something similar to guide me a bit perhaps?

Re-bought a PS4 today.
WHAT THE FUCK is WRONG with TPA?! The AUDIO sounds like a 32kbps mp3 playing through an echo chamber in the middle of a magnetic storm

Top Bottom