• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Re-bought a PS4 today.
WHAT THE FUCK is WRONG with TPA?! The AUDIO sounds like a 32kbps mp3 playing through an echo chamber in the middle of a magnetic storm

Yeah, it's terrible. Like I won't play it level of terrible. I'll start buying tables again for the PS4 when they fix it, until then I'm PC-only (my run of PS3/PSV tables concluded with season 1 and 2).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So, TPA's related (goddamn those sexy mods! TRON is 100x better now, fireworks' orgasm in pinball form... you lucky bastard :p), couple of things:

Played TPA on my iCade for the first time today (dunno why I had never done it before) and it was unexpectedly awesome! I want to add proper pin buttons to the side of its mini cabinet, did any of you guys already did something similar to guide me a bit perhaps?

Re-bought a PS4 today.
WHAT THE FUCK is WRONG with TPA?! The AUDIO sounds like a 32kbps mp3 playing through an echo chamber in the middle of a magnetic storm

Thanks - I finally shot some video this morning since I was able to frankenstein a camera stand. I'll be uploading it later. :)

Also, one of those iCades would be rad, ha.

E: Going to reshoot the video with the glass off since the glare comes off as pretty bad from my video. Bummer.

Shaneus

If you haven't ordered this book (or any of the other publications from Jonathan Joosten) you totally should. I haven't received mine yet, but ordered it within hours of receiving an email notification about her existence, looks beautiful.

Side note: The third edition of the pinball magazine that was to be similar to the others but have a feature/interview on Python Anghelo will now be considered a memorial issue. I hope I don't somehow accidentally miss out on ordering a copy, by all standards the original two magazines are of an incredible quality and it'd be a shame to not have the full collection thus far (especially not one on arguably the most enigmatic of pinball artists/designers to have lived).

BadgerDeluxe

Neo Member
Re-bought a PS4 today.

Yeah, it's terrible. Like I won't play it level of terrible. I'll start buying tables again for the PS4 when they fix it, until then I'm PC-only (my run of PS3/PSV tables concluded with season 1 and 2).

Don't mark my words, but it should be in the next update. I just spent the better part of the last 4 days specifically fixing that issue, and am currently running the game on a PS4 with beautiful audio :) So as soon as possible.

Minsc

Gold Member
Don't mark my words, but it should be in the next update. I just spent the better part of the last 4 days specifically fixing that issue, and am currently running the game on a PS4 with beautiful audio :) So as soon as possible.

Nice, lots of people will be happy when that lands. I'm still holding out for the elusive DX11 PC update, hopefully sometime this year! Though holding out is a strange way to say merely waiting I guess, I already bought all the tables on Steam.

Shaneus

You fix problems? I thought you must've been hired because you were good at forums and Twitch. The more you know!

(PS. Psssst. PC lighting upgrade, while you're here ;) )

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Honestly before that I'd be super happy if we got better translucent components on the PC. I understand the complexity they cause for lower power devices, but on my computer can't I have translucent plastic chutes that don't look like milk cartons? :/

Wonderful news! Other than audio I prefer the PS4 version, love the lighting.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It may not sound so hot, but it looks visually a generation ahead of any other version. So much so that I deflate every time I try to play any other version right now. It's an enormous perk of the PS4 version, some of the tables look nigh photoreal.

It may not sound so hot, but it looks visually a generation ahead of any other version. So much so that I deflate every time I try to play any other version right now. It's an enormous perk of the PS4 version, some of the tables look nigh photoreal.

Agreed, it is beautiful. Can't wait for the sound fix, then the PS4 will be ahead of the PC (well, until they get the graphic improvements and cabinet support, that is).

Shaneus

Physics is the best on PS4 as well. Ball feels a lot more lively than on any other platform.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
If I had an OG iCade, I'd do this.
gBJNLlxl.png
This is amazing, and I must do it.

Physics is the best on PS4 as well. Ball feels a lot more lively than on any other platform.
Yes actually I noticed that as well. The only other version I play right now is on the iPad, due to icade support, and the Medieval Madness, Bride of Pinbot and Circus Voltaire, which are some of my favourites, look and feel almost like completely different games compared to PS4.

Shaneus

There was a feature on Lyons in the second or third PAPA.tv Roadshow episode. It looks like an amazing place, and the owner seems cool as hell. Gave up a solid plumbing job to get into it, IIRC.

Quick question guys: I have almost all the tables on my PS Vita and I just got a PS4. Is the game cross-buy or I have to rebuy all the tables?

Minsc

Gold Member
Quick question guys: I have almost all the tables on my PS Vita and I just got a PS4. Is the game cross-buy or I have to rebuy all the tables?

PS4 tables are redone, with new lighting and other improvements, you'll have to buy them again for PS4, though you can only buy the first season and a few others (I think) currently. Cross-buy works with PS3 though, so you can play your Vita tables on the PS3.

Shaneus

Although you can get a discount on S1 for the PS4, but only if you have *all* the tables for PS3/Vita. Having almost all of them doesn't qualify you for it, unfortunately :(

Thanks guys. The PS4 Disc version has both season 1 and 2 included?

Edited: no, the disc version is only season 1. And it is $10 more than the digital release. Plus I discovered that I am eligible to the get the discount, you need to have all season 1 tables to get the discount for that season, which ends at $ 14.99 instead of $ 29.99.

Season 2 is not yet available for PS4? I cannot find it in the webstore.

Minsc

Gold Member
Thanks guys. The PS4 Disc version has both season 1 and 2 included?

Edited: no, the disc version is only season 1. And it is $10 more than the digital release. Plus I discovered that I am eligible to the get the discount, you need to have all season 1 tables to get the discount for that season, which ends at $ 14.99 instead of $ 29.99.

Yeah, no Season 2 yet, they skipped over it in favor of being able to release current Season 3 tables for parity instead of delaying those further (as remaking all Season 2 tables with the PS4 upgrades takes quite a while, and their attention is primarily focused on Season 3).

It's always been more expensive on disc too, and I don't see the point of the disc version, though others prefer it. The game still needs to run through patching etc, and the build is currently busted pretty bad in terms of audio, so you'd never even really want to use the disc version by itself anyway.

BadgerDeluxe

Neo Member
You fix problems? I thought you must've been hired because you were good at forums and Twitch. The more you know!

Jack of all trades :p I'm moving around doing a lot of different stuff, but I always stick to support and community stuff, too, which I like the most anyway.

Not yet, I believe the current focus is to get PS4 all caught up on Season 3 as soon as possible, then start bringing Season 2 tables over.

Just bought the full Season 1 for PS4 at discount from the webstore. I will install and play later when I get home.

Do you know if the PS4 will suffer the same restrictions to trophies as the vita/PS3 versions (no trophies after pack 15)?

vg260

Heads up if you have an Android you can get up to 4 table packs (depending on your taxes) using the coins from the Amazon coin promotion here
I'm building up a nice collection on my phone from free Amazon app promotions alone.

Only bad thing is the Amazon store and Google Play are considered separate marketplaces, so I'm only able to use the Amazon version to see all these. Still nice to have all my favs on the go.

Shaneus

Welp, came back from a trip to a trout farm (!) in central Victoria, the state I live in, in Australia. The guy has 6 machines setup for free play at $5 for 30 mins, but that seems to be a pretty relaxed cost if you get along with the owner of the farm well enough :)

These are the machines he had, in order of worst to best condition:
* Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball, left flipper was flaky but otherwise played okay. But not in the best of condition.
* WH2O. Had seen better days, but was playing fantastically and a hell of a lot of fun.
* Jurassic Park. Again, had seen better days but this one was playing great, the dino toy is goddamn fantastic.
* The Getaway. Unfortunately it had blown a fuse so it wasn't up and running, but it looked great and all reports indicate that it was fast as hell. Shame I couldn't have a go.
* TAF. Playing damn well, looking nice, but most lol-worthy was the extra rubbers around the flippers because it was draining too heavily and his kids weren't having any fun. Fair enough!
* TZ. Playing beautifully, and I can finally say that after having Ripley's for a bit, I "get" it. There's a lot going on and I still don't grasp it 100%, but I have a better appreciation of it for sure. A four-ball multiball with a powerball is a thing to relish :D

He also had his personal collection as well, where he invited me into his house to check out:
* AfM. Literally the best example of it I had ever seen, the thing played like it was brand-new. Every shot could would land perfectly, no airballs or any strange ball movements. Only issue was some wood that had cracked right through near the scoop, but could be easily fixed and was barely noticeable. Mirror blades finished it off nicely. New cab decals, too.
* MM. Didn't play it, but had a good look and again, another amazing example of the machine. Cab art looked flawless.
* CV. Didn't get as good a look at this, but was another great looking machine from where I saw it.
Also had an AC/DC Premium which he owned from new.

Such a weird thing to see, an oasis of pinball machines in the middle of nowhere (almost literally, it took me two hours to drive there). But so, SO worth it. If only for getting to LitZ on TZ :D

Welp, came back from a trip to a trout farm (!) in central Victoria, the state I live in, in Australia. The guy has 6 machines setup for free play at $5 for 30 mins, but that seems to be a pretty relaxed cost if you get along with the owner of the farm well enough :)

These are the machines he had, in order of worst to best condition:
* Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball, left flipper was flaky but otherwise played okay. But not in the best of condition.
* WH2O. Had seen better days, but was playing fantastically and a hell of a lot of fun.
* Jurassic Park. Again, had seen better days but this one was playing great, the dino toy is goddamn fantastic.
* The Getaway. Unfortunately it had blown a fuse so it wasn't up and running, but it looked great and all reports indicate that it was fast as hell. Shame I couldn't have a go.
* TAF. Playing damn well, looking nice, but most lol-worthy was the extra rubbers around the flippers because it was draining too heavily and his kids weren't having any fun. Fair enough!
* TZ. Playing beautifully, and I can finally say that after having Ripley's for a bit, I "get" it. There's a lot going on and I still don't grasp it 100%, but I have a better appreciation of it for sure. A four-ball multiball with a powerball is a thing to relish :D

He also had his personal collection as well, where he invited me into his house to check out:
* AfM. Literally the best example of it I had ever seen, the thing played like it was brand-new. Every shot could would land perfectly, no airballs or any strange ball movements. Only issue was some wood that had cracked right through near the scoop, but could be easily fixed and was barely noticeable. Mirror blades finished it off nicely. New cab decals, too.
* MM. Didn't play it, but had a good look and again, another amazing example of the machine. Cab art looked flawless.
* CV. Didn't get as good a look at this, but was another great looking machine from where I saw it.
Also had an AC/DC Premium which he owned from new.

Such a weird thing to see, an oasis of pinball machines in the middle of nowhere (almost literally, it took me two hours to drive there). But so, SO worth it. If only for getting to LitZ on TZ :D

Very cool! And now you made a local friend who has your passion for Pinball.

Shaneus

Very cool! And now you made a local friend who has your passion for Pinball.
Yeah, I'm pretty happy about how the whole day went. Pretty sure I spent more time talking shit with him than playing actual pinball. Funny side note was that a pinball service guy who has done some work for him is exactly the same guy who sold me my High Speed. And the guy that organised his four personal machines (MM, AfM, CV and ACDC) is in a tournament I play in. Oh, and the high score on his WH2O was set by the #1 player in Australia.

Small, small world, this pinball thing.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy about how the whole day went. Pretty sure I spent more time talking shit with him than playing actual pinball. Funny side note was that a pinball service guy who has done some work for him is exactly the same guy who sold me my High Speed. And the guy that organised his four personal machines (MM, AfM, CV and ACDC) is in a tournament I play in. Oh, and the high score on his WH2O was set by the #1 player in Australia.

I'm glad you finally 'get' TZ. It's still hands down my favorite table. I reached the zone last time I played it in the real world too, which was a fantastic feeling. I didn't come close on any other table I played to a wizard mode, and that's even with spending some time playing TOTAN which is one of the easiest wizard modes around.

Just finished playing a bunch of BK2K in TPA. It's such a fantastic table. Worthy of every bit of praise it gets. If I'm lucky I'll get to play it again on Monday in the real world.

Shaneus

I'm glad you finally 'get' TZ. It's still hands down my favorite table. I reached the zone last time I played it in the real world too, which was a fantastic feeling. I didn't come close on any other table I played to a wizard mode, and that's even with spending some time playing TOTAN which is one of the easiest wizard modes around.
Yeah, although I don't know if I mentioned it, but it felt like it was on a too shallow an angle. Maybe it was just a really, really good playing table, but I'd never really had fun on a TZ until yesterday.

With how steep I have RBION setup, after playing TZ like it was I'm tempted to drop the back down a little and see if it makes much of a difference. As it is now, it's a bloody fast playing game. Have superbands on it (which just make the flippers super grippy) and that makes a difference to a shooters game as well, but yeah... table angle needs tinkering I think.

Very Nice! Have you met the number 1 player in any of the tourneys you play in?

I updated the IFPA thread with some more pictures. We had 65 people at the 1-up yesterday, mostly people in town for the championship. It takes such a long time to run a tournament with that many people (around 8 hours)

I ended up taking 5th overall, just one spot out of the money :p

But I heard there could be 80-90 points for the winner, so I could still get some big ranking points for it. There is another one tonight in For Collins that I'm skipping because I'm worn out and it will take so long.

I'll be going to the one at the 2-up tomorrow and there should be another 65-75 people there as well. I'll snap more pics.

Shaneus

Very Nice! Have you met the number 1 player in any of the tourneys you play in?
Thankfully, no. I've seen his score pop up on a few machines when he ventures down here, but thankfully he's based in Sydney, whereas I'm in Melbourne. The Sydney pinball scene is massive compared to Melbourne's, might as well be in different countries it's that different.

snaffles

After playing pretty much nothing but the Star Trek: TNG table all week I finally have the Warp 9.9 goal on PS3 to go with the trophy I already got a couple of months ago on the Vita. I must have choked at warp 9.8 a dozen or so times along the way. Time to start working on my high score now.

snaffles

Any of you know if it's possible to buy Table Packs with amazon coins?

I haven't played the android version myself but it looks like you can based on this post from on the pinball arcade fansite
Yep, I just picked up a couple packs on my Asus tablet. The only thing you need to make sure of, which may be obvious to others but I didn't consider beforehand, is to have downloaded TPA through the Amazon App store. I originally downloaded TPA from the Play store, so if you try to buy tables from that version it goes to the Play purchase system. I uninstalled and re-downloaded through the Amazon store, and when you go to buy a pack/season it will ask you each time you try to make an In-app purchase if you want to use coins or One-Click settings.

eggwolio

I've also got a boat load of Amazon coins. I bought the star trek pro table and was going to buy a season pass. The question is: season 2 or 3?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I gotta say - ST:TNG is growing to be one of my favorite PA tables. Recently been playing a LOT more of it and loving every moment of it.

vg260

Any of you know if it's possible to buy Table Packs with amazon coins?

Yes, I picked up a bunch of tables that way in-app after downloading the Amazon version of the core app.

Just a heads-up though, the Google Play and Amazon Marketplace versions purchases are not compatible.

Shaneus

I gotta say - ST:TNG is growing to be one of my favorite PA tables. Recently been playing a LOT more of it and loving every moment of it.
Join the dark side... become a Steve Ritchie fanboy! Before you know it, you'll be eyeballing a No Fear machine ;)
QSM9uDql.jpg

Seriously, look at the number of shots on that thing. No pop bumpers. Probably the fastest game you'll ever play. And there's a video somewhere on YT of Elwin schooling the hell out of it in a comp, getting something like 40 upper flipper loop shots IN A ROW.

There's no way we're getting No Fear in TPA, are we?

I can't imagine it'd be an expensive license. It's a fun table. I once made money playing it by winning a stupid number of credits (I think I started with two) and then the machine froze up. I told the bar I'd put in a bunch of money and they gave me the cash value of the remaining credits.

It's like my one great pinball moment.

Shaneus

There's no way we're getting No Fear in TPA, are we?
I'm hoping against hope, but I really don't know. I don't think there's the demand for it, regardless of potential license cost :(

I can't imagine it'd be an expensive license. It's a fun table. I once made money playing it by winning a stupid number of credits (I think I started with two) and then the machine froze up. I told the bar I'd put in a bunch of money and they gave me the cash value of the remaining credits.

It's like my one great pinball moment.
I don't think it's the license itself that'd be expensive, but getting the OK from the people whose likeness appears in the game. I believe there's around four or so people (Jeremy McGrath is the only one that springs to mind) whose permission I think they'd need to get to have them appear.

Seems like it's in the same kinda licensing grey-area as Rollergames, with such ambiguous real-life references.

PS. Awesome story, P. Cut out the middle man, cash out like a pimp.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ah shit, nicoga... just saw this thread :(

Such a bummer. Any ideas on potential replacements?

But noticed you sold it, though. Did you at least break even?

Yeah...Story time! I was going to post here once the details were finalized (which they were yesterday night).

Theme aside, my wife enjoyed X-Men. I enjoyed the game, but I really wanted a theme that really pushed me over the hump. TRON. However, after getting TRON home, my wife did not enjoy it, like...At all.

She would play X-Men with me almost every time I turned it on...With TRON, she played it a total of 3 times. Once when I first got it, once after we had too much to drink, and once yesterday before I wrapped it up for shipping. She always complained about a) how fast she lost her ball and b) how little there was to do. Actually, the very first thing she said when she played her first ball was, "How do I start the modes like X-Men?" Oops.

Anyways, I talked to her, and after our drunken night of wine and pinball, she told me flat out, "I love everything about TRON, but I hate the pinball machine." Haha wow, right? What that turned into was me realizing that if my wife doesn't enjoy, and the game doesn't make sense to people who come over, it really isn't performing. I mean sure, I get to have a game that I love, but I can't share that with ANYONE. It's hard to share a passion for pinball when the only game you have is one that nobody else can find joy in (because they aren't pinheads).

After a little discussion, it was agreed that I would sell and get a game that she would enjoy. It was a hard sell at first, but she eventually realized that having a $5000 toy sitting in the house that nobody else would use is sort of silly. So I posted a for sale/for trade thread....

When it was all said and done, I made a profit. Considering all the mods, it was actually a fair price, though. I took that money and bought a low play HUO Star Trek Premium. I was originally going to make my second game Star Trek Pro, but since I needed to replace TRON, I used the money I got from that and bought the Premium. The upgrades are worth it to me - full RGB LEDs, VuK, kickback, wireform ramps, candy red powdercoating...Amongst other things. But the way the game has selectable modes will make my wife happy, the LEDs are amazing, the VuK means there's less randomness to the mode start scoop (look it up on YouTube...The pro mode start shot on the left vs the premium), the wireform ramps are classy, and the kickback is classic as all hell.

I had to make a decision based on what my wife liked. I got a 50/50 response on pinside (which I don't give a shit about honestly), but those who sided with me TOTALLY understood my decision. Sure, the game is fun to me, but if my wife is enjoying pinball and wants to play with me, I should cater to her more than me. I can literally play and enjoy any table...Even ones I "hate", I will play and love for being pinball (CV, Centaur, Gorgar, haha). My wife would put one game on something like CV and say, "Yeah, this is fucking dumb."

Unrelated - when we put our last games on TRON yesterday, she actually yelled at the game. "Are you serious?! This is bullshit!" Like, TRON and her do NOT get along, haha.

Anyways, yeah - finding a game that does what my wife enjoys while also giving me what I enjoy was my goal. When I get a second game, it can be basically anything. As long as ONE game in my collection makes her happy, that's what matters. If I had a shit ton of money to throw around, I would have just outright bought a Star Trek or another X-Men. But since I don't, this was the route I needed to take. Besides, by the time I can toss another in the collection, who knows where the market will be and what will be available!

So there we have it! Star Trek Premium will be coming sometime before Father's Day. I'm excited, and my wife is also really excited - and really, that's sort of what matters to me. I'll never be a tournament player, a competitive pinball dude, a league guy, etc. I will almost always be a HUO collector. That means my collection needs to meet my expectations of quality and her expectations of "fun". That's really what it boils down to. It was sort of my fault for selling X-Men prematurely. I didn't realize how much she enjoyed the way that game plays until after it was gone.

Live and learn! And at least I didn't lose money on the deal...Like I said earlier, I actually came out ahead by a fair amount. After I told my wife how much "profit" we've got left, she asked, "Have you ever considered flipping pinball machines?" That could be a VERY dark road lol.

Shaneus

Man, I completely get making the missus happy and everything. It takes up a lot of space and it's an expensive investment, it has to be enjoyed by all parties involved.

But you know what? I can appreciate someone who likes everything about a machine bar the way it plays and admits that. No doubt she'll love the hell out of Star Trek, and with the new code coming out soon(ish?) that has the new callouts and hopefully tweaked rules, I think you'll both be pretty happy with it.

It sucks that you can't have the machine that you've almost always wanted, but regardless of that, as a couple you only would've been 50% happy with it at the most. Now you'll be a lot closer to 100%.

Congrats on getting a bit of money back for your efforts, too. Should put it towards this ;) (or the headphone jack mod, which a friend said is VERY nice on his STLE)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah, that's what it boils down to. Being an investment AND a hobby, there's a fine balance that needs to be maintained. It would be easy for me to say, "I want a WoZ" or "I want an MMr," but there's more to it than just what I want. That's really how I landed on what I did. As weird as it is, the thing I think she missed the most about X-Men was the mode start and picking your mode.

She's not a big gamer, but when she plays a game of any sort, she likes goals. She doesn't do well with open ended games. So with something like TRON, while it DOES have defined goals, they are not really clear to non-pinball players. In order to start modes and such, you need to pay attention to the playfield AND the DMD (I think it was 4 shots for Quorra, 4 to start Rinzler, 6 to start Disc War, etc etc). It's not easy and it isn't super clear. On top of that, the modes are not very distinct - TRON is a multiball game. You play to start one of 4 multiballs.

Star Trek is a mode based game. What's awesome about it is that it is SUPER clear what you do. You shoot Away Team or Mode Start to begin a mission, and than shoot the brightly lit and flashing arrows. Super simple. The Punch It! button is pretty cool, too. She loved the Magneto lock and how that worked, so the Vengeance ship will make her happy.

But speaking about Pinball in general, I think Stern has done a smart thing with Star Trek in that it's a game ANYONE can play and understand. Making the basic progression and rules transparent like that can really help introduce people to the hobby. As awesome as something like LotR is, that is NOT a game for new players - there's too much going on and it's almost too hard to understand unless you sit down and read the rules and watch tutorials. TRON is the same way - it is a FANTASTIC game for pinball nuts. Like, one of the best overall packages in a while (imho). However, it's not friendly to newbies. The only time I was 100% sure what I needed to be doing (and I understand TRON) was when I was in SoS. That's one of the few times the game is super obvious with the goals.

Anyways, that's where I'm at. Until then, I'll be playing a SHIT ton of Pinball Arcade. I've been really digging STTNG lately now that I understand how deep that game really is. I'm still crossing my fingers for more S3 tables to pop up on Vita, but I'm getting worried. Since I don't spend a ton of time gaming on my PC, I'm a bit wary to buy into TPA on Steam, but if Farsight doesn't get their act together (no offense to the guy who posts here), I'm going to have to stop supporting them for a while. I know it's a sour note with a lot of folks not playing on Steam...

E: Also, that Vengeance mod is sick. The first mods I'm buying are:

- Pinbits plastic protectors
- Superbands (because I don't care about the additional control they provide since that's OK with me)
- Speaker lights

After that, I'll be picking up that Vengeance mod and some pinblades (be it mirror or the decals).

Oh my god how could you hate Gorgar...

I don't know, Gorgar is just boring as shit to me. I'll still play it, but not often. ;)

Top Bottom