• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Man, I completely get making the missus happy and everything. It takes up a lot of space and it's an expensive investment, it has to be enjoyed by all parties involved.

But you know what? I can appreciate someone who likes everything about a machine bar the way it plays and admits that. No doubt she'll love the hell out of Star Trek, and with the new code coming out soon(ish?) that has the new callouts and hopefully tweaked rules, I think you'll both be pretty happy with it.

It sucks that you can't have the machine that you've almost always wanted, but regardless of that, as a couple you only would've been 50% happy with it at the most. Now you'll be a lot closer to 100%.

Congrats on getting a bit of money back for your efforts, too. Should put it towards this ;) (or the headphone jack mod, which a friend said is VERY nice on his STLE)
If I didn't care about how my wife feels, I'd have a TZ somewhere in the house.

But I do, and I haven't worn her down yet.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Even ones I "hate", I will play and love for being pinball (CV, Centaur, Gorgar, haha)

WHAT JUST HAPPENED HERE

anyway, couple new pickups since my last post

EsBF2GZl.jpg

thats a Pharaoh on the right. total project machine, driver board is pretty much shot and the backglass is done for. the playfield cleaned up great though. should be nice once i take care of the other issues.

Cyclone plays great, just needs a new playfield. Luckily they're in stock at CPR (even though I'm still mid swap on my xenon, sigh)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If I didn't care about how my wife feels, I'd have a TZ somewhere in the house.

But I do, and I haven't worn her down yet.

Yeah, my second table will be basically whatever I want. But this first one needs to be one she'll enjoy...

WHAT JUST HAPPENED HERE

I feel like CV is overrated, Gorgar is kind of boring, and Centaur is blah. Not to say I won't play them, but I won't go out of my way...Haha

Shaneus

Star Trek is a mode based game. What's awesome about it is that it is SUPER clear what you do. You shoot Away Team or Mode Start to begin a mission, and than shoot the brightly lit and flashing arrows. Super simple. The Punch It! button is pretty cool, too. She loved the Magneto lock and how that worked, so the Vengeance ship will make her happy.

But speaking about Pinball in general, I think Stern has done a smart thing with Star Trek in that it's a game ANYONE can play and understand. Making the basic progression and rules transparent like that can really help introduce people to the hobby. As awesome as something like LotR is, that is NOT a game for new players - there's too much going on and it's almost too hard to understand unless you sit down and read the rules and watch tutorials. TRON is the same way - it is a FANTASTIC game for pinball nuts. Like, one of the best overall packages in a while (imho). However, it's not friendly to newbies. The only time I was 100% sure what I needed to be doing (and I understand TRON) was when I was in SoS. That's one of the few times the game is super obvious with the goals.
That's Steve Ritchie for ya. Ignore how complex the rules are on AC/DC (I have a feeling Lyman kind of ran away with the code there in making it too complex), Ritchie very much has the ethos of making a simple, fast game that people can look at, pick up and play. Even TNG is like that.

E: Also, that Vengeance mod is sick. The first mods I'm buying are:

- Pinbits plastic protectors
- Superbands (because I don't care about the additional control they provide since that's OK with me)
- Speaker lights

After that, I'll be picking up that Vengeance mod and some pinblades (be it mirror or the decals).
STLE plays *amazing* with Superbands. Definitely will make it a little easier for the wife to play, too. I suggest you get clear ones for ST, they look badarse.

Even ones I "hate", I will play and love for being pinball (CV, Centaur, Gorgar, haha).
Centaur suffers a LOT from being setup like an early-80s game, as in, closer angle to an EM than a mid-80s SS a la High Speed. If you prop it up to around 6.5-7 degrees instead, it plays SO much better. Same with Firepower.

sefskillz

Centaur suffers a LOT from being setup like an early-80s game, as in, closer angle to an EM than a mid-80s SS a la High Speed. If you prop it up to around 6.5-7 degrees instead, it plays SO much better. Same with Firepower.
just fullscreen this video and love life http://youtu.be/EfvYDZ3JYaw

centaur is a dream pin for me and i'd love to have one in that shape

Shaneus

just fullscreen this video and love life http://youtu.be/EfvYDZ3JYaw

centaur is a dream pin for me and i'd love to have one in that shape
Oh god, that's playing beautifully, that one. On a similar note, wear headphones!

That Centaur also sounds like it doesn't have the SayItAgain board working fully... there's no echo on the voice :( And I wonder if that's one of the new repro PFs from CPR? Looks too clean to be original.

It's a shame we don't see those outlane ball saver things these days either. Such a great idea.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
No offense, but the fisheye on that Centaur video gives me a MASSIVE headache. Ugh.

Also, I got VP9 running finally. WOW. What a fantastic way to play pinball on my computer! Played some FT, LotR, I500, and TAF. The ball feels bouncier than it should, but the shots are actual shots - it was worth the effort!

Yeah, my second table will be basically whatever I want. But this first one needs to be one she'll enjoy...

I feel like CV is overrated, Gorgar is kind of boring, and Centaur is blah. Not to say I won't play them, but I won't go out of my way...Haha

I feel like I'm starting to make an impact. She's gone from flat out saying no, to still saying no, but stressing that some tables would be worse than others. So it's less of a no for TZ than it is for Gorgar, say.

But it's still a no.

I want to just get one table, and I'm prepared to spend spend spend to make sure I get one I could be happy with. Twilight Zone, BK2K, Addams Family, CV, basically something top teir with deep gameplay and lots of modes. The new Stern Star Trek is actually creeping onto that list too. I haven't played it much yet, but I really enjoyed what I played.

You aren't going to be disappointed in that table, but you already know that.

I'd love a Gorgar, but I think any older table is going to be out because the sounds drive my wife crazy. If I'm playing Gorgar in TPA I have to wear headphones. The only other thing that does that to my wife is Jack Black's voice.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I feel like I'm starting to make an impact. She's gone from flat out saying no, to still saying no, but stressing that some tables would be worse than others. So it's less of a no for TZ than it is for Gorgar, say.

But it's still a no.

I want to just get one table, and I'm prepared to spend spend spend to make sure I get one I could be happy with. Twilight Zone, BK2K, Addams Family, CV, basically something top teir with deep gameplay and lots of modes. The new Stern Star Trek is actually creeping onto that list too. I haven't played it much yet, but I really enjoyed what I played.

You aren't going to be disappointed in that table, but you already know that.

I'd love a Gorgar, but I think any older table is going to be out because the sounds drive my wife crazy. If I'm playing Gorgar in TPA I have to wear headphones. The only other thing that does that to my wife is Jack Black's voice.

I'm going to give my advice on something...

90% of the people in this hobby who are active in some sort of community (Pinside, RGP, etc) are selfish. They only think about themselves and what they want and like. The other 10% think about either their significant other, kids, or other family when making game decisions. Unless you have infinite funds, I would say being part of the 10% is the smartest way to go.

When I was deciding on what game to get, I was thinking about me. My wife told me I could get any game I wanted. Literally, any game I wanted, I could buy. Well, one stipulation was family friendly - so no Family Guy, TSPP, Freddy, TFTC, Playboy, etc. I wanted to smart about it, though...I wasn't going to buy something like MM, AFM, or WoZ - those games are WAY too expensive.

When I started looking, I told myself I wanted a game that was really deep, had a LOT to do, and would keep me busy for a long time. I spent a ton of time thinking about what game would meet those criteria. When I settled on X-Men, it was mostly because the game was CRAZY deep and had a lot of shots. Really, that game was super fantastic in every way. The only reason I got rid of it was because I found a TRON for really really cheap (like, NIB back when it came out cheap). In retrospect, I probably should have kept X-Men because that would have made my wife happy AND I would have still been happy.

Moving onto TRON, I bought it because the theme is sick, the gameplay is rad, and the machine is, to be honest, a real piece of art. However, the gameplay is good FOR A PINHEAD. My wife hated it. But I didn't really think about that when I bought it. I already sort of explained all this earlier, but the long and short of it is, if people say the game has brutally short ball times and it's really hard to make progress (as in, "I only reach Portal once every 500 games!"), that's not the game for the family, haha.

What I'm getting at is that if you're going to spend some coin on a game, make sure it's one that will please everyone, ha. When I had X-Men, my wife was already talking about how neat it would be to have a second game in here. With TRON, she never once spoke those words. Having a game that speaks to the "real" decision maker in your home will make the hobby easier for her to swallow. I mean, consider the cost of what you're getting into...You're going to probably spend between $4-6k on a game, right? So I mean, that's a used car, new kitchen appliances, etc. Keep that in mind!

tl;dr - When picking a game, I would show your wife videos of PAPA tutorials or something and see what she thinks. Also, despite what some folks say, there's no shame in being a Stern fanboy. ;)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I've been really building my Visual Pinball collection up...Since there's a DL limit on tables, I can't expand it indefinitely, but it's almost nice. Forces me to actually PLAY the tables I download. ;)

mzPUrsX.png

So far, I500, LotR, and X-Files are my favorite. I actually want to start reviewing tables as I play them...There are a lot of really neat tables that I would never be able to play otherwise. The nice thing is that Visual Pinball physics feel a lot more real than Virtual Pinball, Zen/FX, and even Pinball Arcade to a degree.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Not a terrible idea...Is $10/year the minimum to get unlimited downloads?

Also, I tried out BBB last night. The file seems a bit unstable. I think the table is probably neat, but I need a version that doesn't act up on me.

Shaneus

I think so? Can't remember how much it was or what it allowed.

The BBB I've been using is the FS one and I think it's an unclewilly table? It's been flawless for me the entire time I've been playing it.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Is there some news about the PSV/PS3/PS4 table updates that I missed? How much longer do I have to wait? :(

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Yeah...Story time! I was going to post here once the details were finalized (which they were yesterday night).

Theme aside, my wife enjoyed X-Men. I enjoyed the game, but I really wanted a theme that really pushed me over the hump. TRON. However, after getting TRON home, my wife did not enjoy it, like...At all.

*snip*

Can totally see where you're coming from, I would've made the same decision.
It's a bummer 'cause audiovisually, especially with all the mods, it was SICK and that theme is pinheads' nirvana, but the most important thing to me is exactly what you've underlined: it's no fun having such an expensive toy which doubles as a party gatherer when only you can enjoy it. Sure, in Tron's case it is something which is so flashy that it can give a whole room its character if placed well, so basically it's a showpiece and that is always appreciated and super neat, but what good that is when that become its most lauded feature? A pinball machine HAS to be played and doing that with the people you care about makes it 10x more enjoyable.
It would've made sense for you to keep it if you already had multiple (and I mean 3 and up) tables, not as your only machine (or even one of two) which should be something fun for both of you to enjoy and possibly grow your wife's passion for pinball and share that with you more and more in the future.

snaffles

How is it that the first two season 3 tables are still not available in PAL regions on PS3/Vita, just amazing. Having said that I play almost nothing but Star Trek:TNG anyway so not sure it would make much difference for me, still baffling all the same. Finally cracked the top 1000 on the leaderboards for ST:TNG, all the way up to seven hundred and something. I just need to find around one trillion more points and I'll be ready to challenge for top spot.

I'm amazed at how terrible Farsight are at communicating with their fans - their facebook page is full of comments asking for an update about the PS4 version, but the only response is from other fans complaining about "whiny console gamers" shitting up the page. Would a rough ETA on stuff like the PS4 sound fix, season 2 tables, missing EU updates and the next season 3 pack really be too much to ask?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah, its super disappointing. I really want them to step up their game, but I don't see it happening any time soon. They need to get their shit together. That's partially why I've started playing VP.

It is a bit weird that a lot of other small companies seem to know exactly when their DLC will get released in various regions. Farsight have been doing this for years now and never seem to have a clue.

Shaneus

That's been confirmed, then?

BTW Lights Camera Action! is out on Steam... and I really like it! I liked it in person as well, but the TPA version is a great translation of it.

I also suspect they've improved some flipper physics as well, but I couldn't go on record for saying that. But something feels a little different with them. At least, on that table.

Vyse24

Well the line comes from that table, so it seems all but confirmed.

And after a few tries and getting used to how it works, I got a score of 16.6M on LCA.

sefskillz

new pickup yesterday, been wanting this in the collection for awhile. playfield needs some cleanup, but everything is in great shape.

Iekb0uJ.jpg

sefskillz

I picked it up along with a real nice Capcom Breakshot for 2800, so probably in the 1600-1800 range for the T2

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Loaded TPA onto my Nexus 5...Man, if I could get used to nudging, I'd probably buy Season 3 on Android. It plays great AND gets support that PS3/Vita isn't getting.
Come the fuck on Farsight, at least give us an update...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Pretty huge news from Stern!

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-is-re-releasing-im

MELROSE PARK, IL – June 12, 2014 – Stern Pinball, Inc., the world's oldest and largest producer of arcade-quality pinball games, announced today it is opening the Stern Vault for re-release of Iron Man™ Pro. The Iron Man pinball machine features visuals, speech, music and sound effects from the Marvel blockbuster films Iron Man and Iron Man 2. After numerous requests from the pinball community, Stern is re-introducing this exceptional game.

Originally released in 2010, the Iron Man Pro model continues to bring the battle between billionaire industrialist, Tony Stark/Iron Man, and his enemies to the fingertips and flippers of pinball players. With non-stop action, Iron Man Pro Vault Edition heightens the excitement, bringing back a classic game for the players of any age and skill level.
Iron Man Pro Vault Edition features technological and manufacturing upgrades utilized by Stern in its current Pro models. Among the improvements is all LED playfield lighting. Iron Man is manufactured with Stern’s updated modern metal and wood back box with red t-molding and with a decaled cabinet and speaker housing. The Iron Monger, War Machine and Whiplash figures have been molded in one piece construction for improved strength.

“Operators tell us Iron Man is a great earning pinball game, and enthusiasts tell us it’s a great playing game. We didn’t make enough,” said Gary Stern, founder, CEO and chairman of Stern Pinball.
Look for future Stern Vault Editions.

Also sorry for bombarding this thread...Nobody else is posting! ;)

Oh, and ST Premium showed up today!

I noticed the summer sale is coming up on Steam.
Farsight would be very wise if they participated by putting the season packs on sale. It would raise awareness of the game BIG TIME and make tons of $$$.

(oh who am I kidding... I already know they are too clueless to do it)

Shaneus

I will soon - for the record, my wife likes it a LOT more than TRON. The LEDs are craaaaazy and she loves it.
Man, that's great to hear! First (and cheapest) stop for you should be superbands, IMO. Can vouch for clear ones, they look *amazing* on my buddy's STLE.

has this been discussed here? http://www.atlus.com/rollers/

atlus just picked them up, supposedly hitting holiday season.

also star trek pics asap please.
More info? I can't see anything of that site at work :(

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, that's great to hear! First (and cheapest) stop for you should be superbands, IMO. Can vouch for clear ones, they look *amazing* on my buddy's STLE.

More info? I can't see anything of that site at work :(

I grabbed some red super bands and they rock. DEFINITELY different from standard rubbers, but they're a blast. And they kick the hell out of the ball!

As for that Atlus game, it's basically like that old NES game Pinball Quest. An RPG with pinball playing to advance, level, battle, etc. I'm excited, and I'll end up buying it day 1 for sure.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
But red matches the game, though. You want clear for that sci-fi look!

I already had some red and black. Once I order SOMETHING again, I'll grab some clear, haha. Just for you. ;)

I will say, the VuK, kickback, and full RGB LEDs were worth the premium price. The wireforms are also an INSANELY cool feature. My wife said it makes it look old school, to which I agreed. Star Trek really did a lot of awesome stuff that really needs to become the norm going forward...

E: The candy red shimmer powdercoating is also sexy. I'd get a shit ton of pics, but we just put the puppy to sleep. I will get a bunch tomorrow. Probably going to close the outlane a bit to give myself time to explore more than just 3 modes in a given game, ha.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I can't seem to get that site working very well, have they shown video of the game anywhere? It looks sort of like that Gamecube game Odama maybe?

I haven't seen gameplay, but Odama is a good comparison from the screenshots. I'm excited - I love the skill involved in pinball, and throwing in some RPG elements tickles me in all sorts of dirty ways! ;) It's why one of my favorite Zen Pinball tables is Epic Quest, haha.

Scored a whole 47m on Star Trek this morning - finished 5 modes and started Klingon Multiball (I LOVE "Klingon Jackpot!" callout holy shit). I'm slowly starting to figure out how that game is supposed to flow. The shots are SO fun - I especially love backhanding the Alpha Quadrant ramp. I have trouble with the Beta Quadrant (right ramp) and the Away Team (right under flipper mode start) shots still...But I think part of that is due to the super bands. I'm used to the way the ball flies off of regular rubbers still.

My wife wants me to put a sub in, but I told her we need to wait until the puppy is a little older. I don't want to scare the little girl into a mild heart attack! But I plan to add a sub, pinblade art (not mirrors), and speaker lights soon.

I finally got a new job so I'm planning on getting a few more tables this weekend to play.

I did have a question I've never known the answer to: What's up with tournaments in PBA? Everytime I check (at least once a week) it has the tourney just ended and to wait.

Do they ever do those in-game and how do you enter?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Star Trek is a winner - my friend just came by and LOVED it. The way the game explains what you need to do as well as all the crazy cool features...Such a selling point!

Biker19

Banned
PS4 tables are redone, with new lighting and other improvements, you'll have to buy them again for PS4, though you can only buy the first season and a few others (I think) currently. Cross-buy works with PS3 though, so you can play your Vita tables on the PS3.

Yeah, no Season 2 yet, they skipped over it in favor of being able to release current Season 3 tables for parity instead of delaying those further (as remaking all Season 2 tables with the PS4 upgrades takes quite a while, and their attention is primarily focused on Season 3).

It's always been more expensive on disc too, and I don't see the point of the disc version, though others prefer it. The game still needs to run through patching etc, and the build is currently busted pretty bad in terms of audio, so you'd never even really want to use the disc version by itself anyway.

Damn, that sucks. I hope that they'll get through Season 2 & bring out a new & improved version of "The Pinball Arcade" on a disc for PS4 with all the season tables & with all the updates, & improvements of things like the audio, etc.

Top Bottom