• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Heh - Pinside is full of trolls. I feel like a lot of the posters there are middle aged men with no idea how the world works.

Shaneus

Awesome. Fill us in on the details more specifically when you get a chance :)

Edit: Yeah, that's pretty shit form on that guy's part.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Switched back to regular rubbers from the super bands, which I really do prefer. The way the rubbers react is just, well, right. Also, everyone is having a BLAST playing it this weekend (wife's family is in town). SO much fun.

I could use some help

I finally bought the season 2 full pack. Before I've only bought a few pack from season 1
What packs have been release?

It says season 2 is pack 11 through 20 but when I bought it only packs 11 12 13 14 downloaded.

Those packs are in my 'my tables' area but now season 2 and 3 are greyed out and I can't go back into those menus. So where at the rest of the table I just bought?

Shaneus

Switched back to regular rubbers from the super bands, which I really do prefer. The way the rubbers react is just, well, right. Also, everyone is having a BLAST playing it this weekend (wife's family is in town). SO much fun.
I might have to call in a favour and order a stack of different flipper rubbers for you to post over to me ;) Superbands aren't an issue, but Saturn Rings (are they still having reliability issues? I don't know, but last I heard they were) are another bunch I want to try out, mostly because I know they have differing properties depending on which hardness you select.

My RBION went from having regular black rubbers to black SBs, I wouldn't mind throwing on some vanilla/standard red rubbers to see how it plays. The point-and-shoot of Superbands is fun, but it does feel like it takes away some of the unpredictability and skill required at times.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I might have to call in a favour and order a stack of different flipper rubbers for you to post over to me ;) Superbands aren't an issue, but Saturn Rings (are they still having reliability issues? I don't know, but last I heard they were) are another bunch I want to try out, mostly because I know they have differing properties depending on which hardness you select.

My RBION went from having regular black rubbers to black SBs, I wouldn't mind throwing on some vanilla/standard red rubbers to see how it plays. The point-and-shoot of Superbands is fun, but it does feel like it takes away some of the unpredictability and skill required at times.

One thing super bands did that I didn't like was perform like they weren't normal flipper rubbers. Dead bounces were unreliable at best. On top of that, the shots felt almost TOO forceful! Cool on a game like TRON or another open field like that, but ST has a LOT of shots and requires some accuracy that I felt super bands toyed with.

I've read that #2 Saturns play most like regular flipper rubbers. On that, I've heard they're also the most reliable. #1 and #3 have had a LOT of problems with QAQC. But whatever the case may be, if you need to use me as a middleman for shipping, just shoot me a PM and we will definitely get you taken care of!

Shaneus

One thing super bands did that I didn't like was perform like they weren't normal flipper rubbers. Dead bounces were unreliable at best. On top of that, the shots felt almost TOO forceful! Cool on a game like TRON or another open field like that, but ST has a LOT of shots and requires some accuracy that I felt super bands toyed with.

I've read that #2 Saturns play most like regular flipper rubbers. On that, I've heard they're also the most reliable. #1 and #3 have had a LOT of problems with QAQC. But whatever the case may be, if you need to use me as a middleman for shipping, just shoot me a PM and we will definitely get you taken care of!
What's QAQC?

And yeah, a PM sounds good :)

Oh, wait. Quality control. I think I might order the #2s (which are supposed to be close to regular red rubbers?) and I'm curious about the IFPA-sanctioned maroon ones as well, which are apparently different again.

But you're right about the bounce, though. I should change mine back for tournament prep. If I can make one recommendation for ST though, is to keep the SB on the upper flipper. It obviously doesn't affect things like dead passes, but it can make upper flipper shots a lot less stressful (ergo, more fun) and didn't feel out of place on either High Speed (when I kept the original reds on the lower flippers) or RBION (where apparently the upper flipper shot is "too weak", but an SB fixed it).

Picked up the season 3 table pack. Mostly for High Speed (I think Shaneus' avatar subconsciously influenced that) but what caught me by surprise was how awesome Black Knight 2000 is. You got the power! (Ha ha ha ha ha) You got the might! (No way) Get ready for battle! (Give me your money) Beat the black knight! (Ha ha ha ha ha) Ohhhhhhh

I'm having a good time with Lights... Camera... Action! and Black Rose as well.

Psykoboy2

I know this thread is about Pinball Arcade, but while at E3, I played the Walking Dead pinball table from Zen Studios.

HOWEVER, I played it on a custom built cabinet from VPcabs.

Their cabinets come pre-installed with Pinball FX 2 for Steam and all the tables, plus they are in discussions with FarSight to do the same with The Pinball Arcade.

Now, outside of those two studios, does anyone have any experience with virtual pinball on tables that AREN'T from Zen or FarSight? How well do they hold up with a digital conversion?

Shaneus

I know this thread is about Pinball Arcade, but while at E3, I played the Walking Dead pinball table from Zen Studios.

Their cabinets come pre-installed with Pinball FX 2 for Steam and all the tables, plus they are in discussions with FarSight to do the same with The Pinball Arcade.

Now, outside of those two studios, does anyone have any experience with virtual pinball on tables that AREN'T from Zen or FarSight? How well do they hold up with a digital conversion?
I can't help you with much on VP cabs (other than playing some full-screen, designed-for-cab tables on my PC) but I can tell you this thread is basically a catchall for *anything* pinball related. Anything you want to talk about (Zen is pretty much the only thing that isn't mentioned on an regular basis, but that's not to say we can't/won't discuss it) regarding pinball is completely on the table :)

But yeah, some of the virtual tables hold up REALLY well. There are developments/tweaks happening all the time to the frontend/emulator that runs them to improve physics and ball control/feel to that beyond even what TPA is capable of conveying.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Yeah, this thread is really ALL pinball. ;)

Those cabs are cool - I played one at an expo a few months ago. My problem with them is that they don't really allow for any customization or upgrading. If you dig that virtual play on a physical looking/feeling table, you can build a baller cab for ~$2-3k.

As for digital tables, Zen and TPA stuff are fun in their own right, but Visual Pinball tables run actual ROMs and play VERY well. They have a much more realistic feel than Zen stuff, and often times feel more real to me than TPA tables.

Does anyone have a suggestion to my issue? I've tried a few things and I'm only able to access half of season 2 after buying it.

I did finally play Cactus Canyon last night. It's one of the very few machine I have not played or even seen. I've heard so much about it. I like it but it felt a bit simple. I had always heard the code and rule set were unfinished or at least was due for update.

CC happens to be one of the game I've heard of that is most often given code mods to change the rules.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Does anyone have a suggestion to my issue? I've tried a few things and I'm only able to access half of season 2 after buying it.

I did finally play Cactus Canyon last night. It's one of the very few machine I have not played or even seen. I've heard so much about it. I like it but it felt a bit simple. I had always heard the code and rule set were unfinished or at least was due for update.

CC happens to be one of the game I've heard of that is most often given code mods to change the rules.

Is it on PS3/Vita?

Also, CC is such a blah table for me. I don't know why people love it so much...

Is it on PS3/Vita?

Also, CC is such a blah table for me. I don't know why people love it so much...

Well this is on ps3 but it queued up both the ps3 and vita version.

It's weird, I can't even go into the season 3 section of the game now.

What is feels like is this download on psn what put up when only pack 14 was out. So is includes the later table but wasn't with them...maybe? I just got home so I'm going to go to the store and try to download the next pack and see if it tries to charge me.

The only reason CC is considered a classic is because only 900 of them were made. It's also because it's from that era with Medieval Madness and Attack from Mars and it has a similar rule set.

Personally I think Big Bang Bar is over rated. I know several people who have one. The theme and art are 10/10 but I've never loved playing it. It's a rare machine though so it has clout.

Ok, well I think I have one issue solved. Even though they didn't download, I found other 6 packs in the store and they are marked free now. Seems like a bad way to do this but whatever. For some reason I still can't go into season three to look at the packs now.

Alsio, I'm moving in about 2 months again and I'm hoping that I'll be able to get a Twilight Zone I've been looking at for a long time

edit:

Playing victory now. Wow, I remember playing this at a tournament a last year. I had never seen it and it plays really oddly in real life because of all the short loops and shots.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ok, well I think I have one issue solved. Even though they didn't download, I found other 6 packs in the store and they are marked free now. Seems like a bad way to do this but whatever. For some reason I still can't go into season three to look at the packs now.

Alsio, I'm moving in about 2 months again and I'm hoping that I'll be able to get a Twilight Zone I've been looking at for a long time

BBB is one I'd like to play, but lol at $20k asking.

And yeah, I was going to say - if you've bought it on PSN, you have to download it one at a time. It's bullshit stupid.

Also, owning a TZ would be rad!

BBB is one I'd like to play, but lol at $20k asking.

And yeah, I was going to say - if you've bought it on PSN, you have to download it one at a time. It's bullshit stupid.

Also, owning a TZ would be rad!

YEah I'm really hoping I can do it. HE's asking 4k even, which is good regardless but this is a very nice machine. The only issue is the trough switch that knows when the powerball is out doesn't work. If you hit any hole on the table with the powerball it knows and reacts but it doesn't know when the ball is put into the lane.

I really need to get you guys picture of my Friend Zach's house. It would be the perfect room for some people here. F-14 Tomcat, High speed and High speed 2, demo man, Stern Big Guns which is rare and kind of crazy and then a space station (not shuttle)

Seriously Envy of the man

Shaneus

If you can't get that TZ, I would honestly not overlook RBION. Despite being close to as deep as TZ (apparently, I'm not one to judge depth of a game) I find it much easier to follow and more fun to play. Feels less cramped than TZ and I dig the theme a little more, too.

Obviously biased because I own one, but I honestly don't see myself getting rid of it soon. Don't discount it in the slightest, it's a great game and can be had for stupidly cheap... I think I paid ~$3400AU for my HUO one.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I almost scored a nice condition Shadow for $2300, but I have no way of getting it from VA to IN. Daaaaamn. Ha.

Currently trying to get an X Files locally for $1500. I won't know until next week if he's wanting to part with it, though.

Shaneus

I almost scored a nice condition Shadow for $2300, but I have no way of getting it from VA to IN. Daaaaamn. Ha.

Currently trying to get an X Files locally for $1500. I won't know until next week if he's wanting to part with it, though.
Oh, I think you're right on Superbands. I had myself convinced that RBION was better with them, but after putting the old rubbers back on (leaving only one SB on the upper flipper) it's definitely more lively, fun and predictable. Made me realise how much easier dead flipper passes are with traditional rubbers. Which means I'm gonna have to get one of each hardness of the Saturn rings because I'm liking the way the black ones play (but red may play better... we'll see).

Do you really think you'd like an X-Files? If I were in the position of getting another machine, I'd hold out for something I really want rather than something that's just okay but a decent price.

PS. Damn that's a good price for a Shadow. How far is the trip from VA to IN? Could've been worth the extra few hundred for freight. Or a day/weekend trip with the missus!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I think supers have their place, but I prefer my standard rubbers. I also love how red rubbers play...So you should be happy (they have more snap, but not less control).

And yeah, I actually really enjoy X-Files. Its one of those weird pins I enjoy that most hate. However, I also love SF2, haha. Also the drive would be around 24 hours roundtrip based on the dudes location. Too hard to manage with a new puppy...But $2300 would have been wonderful for a nice condition Shadow full of LEDs and only minor Sanctum wear. Oh well, it wasn't meant to be!

New tables for ps4 are crossbuy with vita and ps3 or not?

No, the PS4 tables are separate from the PS3/Vita versions - also, the Season 3 tables only seem to be uploaded for PS3/Vita, so PS4 owners are left waiting again.

Also, looking at comments on Farsight's facebook, here's what they have to say about Season 2 tables on PS4;

"Season 2 tables will be released 30 days after the Xbox one version per our contract with microsoft."

Great.

jvm

Gamasutra.
"Season 2 tables will be released 30 days after the Xbox one version per our contract with microsoft."
WdgHsxY.gif

:(

snaffles

Yup.

I REALLY hope people stop supporting these guys for a while. They need to get their act together.

I am done with them. I have already paid for season 3 on steam so I will get all of those tables anyway, but I am not buying any more going forward and I wont be getting any of the season 3 tables for my PS3/Vita when they get around to releasing them here.

Farsight has done the impossible! They have slapped a HUGE 10% discount on the Season Two pack for the Steam sale! lol
Season One is 25% off though.

That won't do much to draw attention to their game unless it gets featured as a better sale in a daily deal or flash sale.

I will still support their game. They are terrible at so many things but I'll take my pinball wherever I can get it.

Shaneus

No, the PS4 tables are separate from the PS3/Vita versions - also, the Season 3 tables only seem to be uploaded for PS3/Vita, so PS4 owners are left waiting again.

Also, looking at comments on Farsight's facebook, here's what they have to say about Season 2 tables on PS4;

Great.
You have to be fucking kidding me. So add on the 30-day or so delay Euro/AU people get *as well*, that's about two months delay for seeing S2 tables. Screw that noise.

Bebpo

Banned

Great.

So first they screw over MS players with no DLC updates forever, then they screw over PS players. Good job making everyone annoyed at you, Farsight!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I see all the tables for FX2 are on 50% sale right now on Steam. Thinking of just buying them all...Anyone have a feeling for if they're going to go cheaper?

Shaneus

I see all the tables for FX2 are on 50% sale right now on Steam. Thinking of just buying them all...Anyone have a feeling for if they're going to go cheaper?
I bought them very cheaper in a Humble bundle, haven't put much time into them at all. Honestly, with your STP and TPA, I doubt you'd see much use out of them. They just don't feel fun to me at all :/

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I bought them very cheaper in a Humble bundle, haven't put much time into them at all. Honestly, with your STP and TPA, I doubt you'd see much use out of them. They just don't feel fun to me at all :/

I've enjoyed a few that I've played. They will supposedly go to 75% off at some point. If I can get a bunch of tables for ~$40, that sounds like a killer deal to me if for no other reason than to give me something easy to play, ha. Who knows...If I ever build a virtual cab, having access to those tables will be nice!

TPA is getting on my nerves with the lack of community involvement as well as the terrible non-PC support. I'm done buying from them for a while as many others are right now.

Shaneus

I've enjoyed a few that I've played. They will supposedly go to 75% off at some point. If I can get a bunch of tables for ~$40, that sounds like a killer deal to me if for no other reason than to give me something easy to play, ha. Who knows...If I ever build a virtual cab, having access to those tables will be nice!
I have a bunch that I paid less than $20 for (I think it's all of them except the Star Wars ones?) and I still didn't get much use out of them. I can't recall who (sorry!) but someone in this thread suggested a couple of older FX tables which are kinda close to what a real one would be like, and I remember them not playing that badly. But most of the others are kind of annoying compared to TPA.

TPA is getting on my nerves with the lack of community involvement as well as the terrible non-PC support. I'm done buying from them for a while as many others are right now.
Yeah, I want to love 'em, but it's not easy to right now :( Seems like whichever platform you support (lest it's iOS/Android) there's something to be unhappy about. The constant additions of new platforms is spreading them far too thin, IMO.

Losty

Neo Member
Farsight has done the impossible! They have slapped a HUGE 10% discount on the Season Two pack for the Steam sale! lol
Season One is 25% off though.

That won't do much to draw attention to their game unless it gets featured as a better sale in a daily deal or flash sale.

I will still support their game. They are terrible at so many things but I'll take my pinball wherever I can get it.

In case people missed it (I only saw it by chance browsing the tables in game) the Steam version of the Black Hole - Ripley's Believe It Or Not - Theatre of Magic pack is on sale for one pence/one cent. Stated as 0.1GB in game it took only £0.01 out of my wallet, anyway.

I just noticed that Season Two says $26.99 if you buy it through the Steam Client which is 10% off.

But if you click to buy the tables in game, then it says Season Two is 25% off at $22.49.

Very strange.

Shaneus

Yeah, it was great for a couple years. No wonder they didn't want to sell a Season 3 pass.
Nothing to do with PS3. It was because they were forced to drop selling season passes in advance for iOS by Apple, so they were going to do it across the board. I know for PC they were going to ditch them as well, but didn't (and because they can easily reverse any decision, unlike any of the other closed platforms).

Nothing to do with PS3. It was because they were forced to drop selling season passes in advance for iOS by Apple, so they were going to do it across the board. I know for PC they were going to ditch them as well, but didn't (and because they can easily reverse any decision, unlike any of the other closed platforms).

Yeah, I know I was in that convo where I showed them a screencap of them saying they wouldn't sell some of the tables standalone before releasing the season pass like they did with season 2, and got that info from them, but I wasn't buying it. Bowing out in anticipation of having to reneg on delivering a full season, and not being able to on a closed platform, just shows a lack of commitment.. like they just planned on slowly dropping support anyway.

Top Bottom