• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Shaneus

So Shaneus - how's the RBION treating you? How do you like it compared to your HS?
HS has been packed away since RBION came into town and to be honest, not really missing it all that much! I'd probably play it if it was setup, but right now it's sitting on it's back in my bedroom, waiting until I can be bothered getting someone to help me set it up again.

Still some things I need to do with Ripley's as well, like flatten the magnet stop (or buy a new one), tinker with the Cliffy's scoop protector (makes the ball a little jumpy) and buy some new balls (they're a bit grimey, might even be a tiny bit dinged up... can't quite tell). But it's still a fun machine, and after tinkering with the requirements for each country (knocking the tombstone down back a bit from 7 to 5, for example) it's a lot more fun.

How's your STP treating you? Is the missus still enjoying it?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I can't recommend the Pinball Life premium balls enough - I use them in my ST and LOVE them. In fact, if you're still planning on getting rubbers shipped to me to send out, I could probably through a spare set of 4 in for you if you want (that way you don't have to deal with shipping). Let me know if that's going to go down!

I actually decided to skip on Cliffy's for my ST at the moment. Well, only for the scoop/VUK. There's been a ball eject protector since day 1 from the original owner, but no scoop yet. Pinbits plastics have been on since it arrived in my house, though. It was SORT of a bitch to install, but worth it for how fast that ball flies around!

I know the feeling on settings - I changed the shield kickback from 2 bank completions to 1 (which is apparently the Very Easy setting, ha). But since I don't actively AIM for those targets (and I'm not sure if you even can really), it's nice to have them activate through random bouncing. When it comes to something like RBION, making it so you can actually progress through the game at a fair rate is nice. Have you managed to get to Atlantis yet?

As for general ST impressions, this game is so damn good. I have found my keeper. It's got a TON going on, and the LED's are just incredible. I can't imagine playing this game without the RGB LED's throughout - having only a few would be boring at this point! And yes, the wife says she REALLY loves it. She'll actually come over into my office and want to play with me when I boot it up. She still isn't very GOOD at the game (or pinball in general), but she LOVES the kickback, VUK, and the missiles. I let her hit the Punch It button whenever it's lit when I'm playing, haha.

I can't recommend the Pinball Life premium balls enough - I use them in my ST and LOVE them. In fact, if you're still planning on getting rubbers shipped to me to send out, I could probably through a spare set of 4 in for you if you want (that way you don't have to deal with shipping). Let me know if that's going to go down!

I actually decided to skip on Cliffy's for my ST at the moment. Well, only for the scoop/VUK. There's been a ball eject protector since day 1 from the original owner, but no scoop yet. Pinbits plastics have been on since it arrived in my house, though. It was SORT of a bitch to install, but worth it for how fast that ball flies around!

I know the feeling on settings - I changed the shield kickback from 2 bank completions to 1 (which is apparently the Very Easy setting, ha). But since I don't actively AIM for those targets (and I'm not sure if you even can really), it's nice to have them activate through random bouncing. When it comes to something like RBION, making it so you can actually progress through the game at a fair rate is nice. Have you managed to get to Atlantis yet?

As for general ST impressions, this game is so damn good. I have found my keeper. It's got a TON going on, and the LED's are just incredible. I can't imagine playing this game without the RGB LED's throughout - having only a few would be boring at this point! And yes, the wife says she REALLY loves it. She'll actually come over into my office and want to play with me when I boot it up. She still isn't very GOOD at the game (or pinball in general), but she LOVES the kickback, VUK, and the missiles. I let her hit the Punch It button whenever it's lit when I'm playing, haha.
That button has got such a great 'feel' to it. The tactile feedback on it is awesome even without the reaction you get from the machine.

Shaneus

Ha - so damn true. I honestly barely ever plunge because of how fun it is to push it!
I love seeing people play ST in comps not knowing about that button. Still, they better my score :/

I'd be up for some of the Pinball Life balls as well if you can get them easily enough... was that the store you said you lived near? To be honest, I haven't gone back to the Planetary site for a while (life's been hectic) but I'll hopefully get an order in soon enough :)

Going to play with some rubber/bat colour combos too, I think. Eyeballing some translucent purple flippers which should hopefully look good with gold rubbers, maybe some violet rubbers to go with the yellow flippers, too (different hardness as well, obv). Fun!

Glad the wife is loving it, too. Has to make it so much easier for you to enjoy :)

Nuklear

Banned
"Season 2 tables will be released 30 days after the Xbox one version per our contract with microsoft."

Great.

Seriously? I done with this company. This is just another way for them to flip the bird at me after I've been very loyal and I have double and sometimes triple dipping on tables. It's bad enough I got stiffed on a WiiU code from the ST:TNG kickstarter because they never released the WiiU client like they promised!

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
So are PS4 patches being held for 30 days as well? We STILL have sound issues, and STILL can't remap controls. It's probably the worst support for a game I've seen, considering how basic the issues are. Pathetic. I'm done as well.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Vonnie D Pinball announced their first project - they did this big countdown and made it out to be some revolutionary new thing.

It's a Kickstarter campaign to fund their first machine...It looks pretty terrible (the layout looks like something an amateur would throw together) and the reward tiers are all kinds of fucked, haha. $3k gets you an invite to the VIP release party! $5k gets some art of you on the field or something like that (but no machine). Want a game? I think it's like $6.8k for it. I have a feeling this will fail pretty hard.

Shaneus

Vonnie D Pinball announced their first project - they did this big countdown and made it out to be some revolutionary new thing.

It's a Kickstarter campaign to fund their first machine...It looks pretty terrible (the layout looks like something an amateur would throw together) and the reward tiers are all kinds of fucked, haha. $3k gets you an invite to the VIP release party! $5k gets some art of you on the field or something like that (but no machine). Want a game? I think it's like $6.8k for it. I have a feeling this will fail pretty hard.
Yeah, I'm not picturing it doing well. I know Charlie from Spooky said (to Nate?) a while back that at least one or two of these "boutique" manufacturers will fail pretty hard... I'm picturing Vonnie D being one of them by the sounds of it. IMO the ones that fail will be the ones jumping on board this late in the game.

Hoping to see some progress on the Thunderbirds pin soon. Last I heard, Homepin were hoping to have a proto up and running for the Aussie pinball expo thing in September(?).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Decided to jump in and just spend the $60 and get all the DLC for FX2 on Steam. I definitely enjoy the arcade nature of it - it's nice to have access to such a wide variety of nice looking and feature rich virtual tables. I only have two major gripes when it comes to FX2 - nudging and table rules.

Nudging in FX2 is annoying for a few reasons. I don't feel like it ever really helps you. On the new Deadpool table, there's a shot you take straight up the middle - it's like a slanted ramp or something. The problem is that it's not uncommon to get a STDM drain when you nail the shot. What's worse is that nudging is effectively useless to save it. Also, the game warns you with every single nudge...And as such, I don't know what my nudge limits are.

As for the rules on tables, I feel like a lot of the tables are not very intuitive. I played the Ms. Splosion Man table last night for close to 40 minutes straight. I'm not sure if I made any real progress towards the table goals. I was just hitting ramps over and over and over again. I eventually got bored because I had no idea what to do and drained out. Thankfully not EVERY table is like this...But enough of them are that it's a bit of a let down at times. I wish it was a bit more clear what to shoot for.

Shaneus

I kinda get that while playing RBION. It's hard to play if you just want a quick fuck around because every game takes SO long. Even if you don't deliberately shoot for the different countries/continents, you're still liable to get a small number of EBs and a multiball or two. Thankfully, the scoring isn't overdone so getting anywhere near 50m+ is immensely satisfying.
Just sucks that yeah, I can't just have a 5 minute game on the thing :(

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I kinda get that while playing RBION. It's hard to play if you just want a quick fuck around because every game takes SO long. Even if you don't deliberately shoot for the different countries/continents, you're still liable to get a small number of EBs and a multiball or two. Thankfully, the scoring isn't overdone so getting anywhere near 50m+ is immensely satisfying.
Just sucks that yeah, I can't just have a 5 minute game on the thing :(

I'm finding that I actually really prefer these longer games. TRON was a good example of FAST games (I could get a game of TRON in the same time as one BALL on ST). RBION is a machine that I really would love to own the more I think about it - it's got longer ball times, good scoring, and a LOT of super fun/complex objectives. It reminds me a bit of TSPP in a way.

Also, I need to check out that Gomez interview. I saw it pop up on Pinside, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Shaneus

I'm finding that I actually really prefer these longer games. TRON was a good example of FAST games (I could get a game of TRON in the same time as one BALL on ST). RBION is a machine that I really would love to own the more I think about it - it's got longer ball times, good scoring, and a LOT of super fun/complex objectives. It reminds me a bit of TSPP in a way.

Also, I need to check out that Gomez interview. I saw it pop up on Pinside, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Did I post in here I put the red rubbers from my HS on RBION? The lower ones at least... kept the Superband on the upper one, and the game is a LOT more lively, even over the regular black rubbers. Can see why in all the promo shots for the game they have red ones on.

On a similar note, if you're SUPER keen on getting your STP (or any other machine) super nice, a new company has started up that does coloured playfield (slingshot etc.) rubbers with the same qualities as white ones. For example, the page for their trial-pack of goodies. If I had the time, I'd go through RBION and set it all up, but I still need to place my LED order for it first. Priorities!

Any news on when the Xbox 360 tables and Xbox One versions are dropping? Last I heard was just Summer 2014.

I think that seals it. I can play this game in 3D on PC, even if the graphics are a step down. I'll pick up the season passes on PC soon, even if that means I've double dipped on black knight 2k. I'm getting a rotatable 1440p 144hz monitor soon.

I don't think I'm going to miss the better lighting.

I think that seals it. I can play this game in 3D on PC, even if the graphics are a step down. I'll pick up the season passes on PC soon, even if that means I've double dipped on black knight 2k. I'm getting a rotatable 1440p 144hz monitor soon.

I don't think I'm going to miss the better lighting.

Am I missing something here? Seals what?

Shaneus

Pinball news! The Big Lebowski Pinball cabinet and backglass art revealed.
images-7.jpg

I'll echo what they say on the TPA news page:
Painted caricatures, just like the old days (ie. STTNG)! Colors that actually fit a normal interior design scheme (not that its a priority in pinball, but that might help grease the wheels with the wife)!

Looks good.

Am I missing something here? Seals what?

I had been planning on buying all my tables on PS4. I waited a long long long time to buy season 1. Well over a year in fact. Now my PS4 has gone off for repair and the PS4 version seems to be getting treated like a second class citizen.

I'm fully defecting to the PC version.

I had been planning on buying all my tables on PS4. I waited a long long long time to buy season 1. Well over a year in fact. Now my PS4 has gone off for repair and the PS4 version seems to be getting treated like a second class citizen.

I'm fully defecting to the PC version.

Sorry to hear that. At least you have the PC option.

Ahahaha. I like that you think you'll get treated better on PC.

Tables actually come out on PC. Sound isn't messed up. The game supports portrait resolutions and stereoscopic 3D already with third party solutions that work great. You can even buy the season 3 pass on PC.

PC has totally been treated better than PS4, which has better lighting going for it, and nothing else compared to PC.

Shaneus

True. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm slowly (but surely) losing enthusiasm over their product. Is taking on *yet* another platform (like Xbox One) worth sacrificing/alienating the existing user base for things like delays and potential loss in sales? Hearing that the PS4 packs will be delayed a month behind the One because of some contract they had to sign with MS is the further nail in the coffin that they're taking on far too much.
There has to be a tipping point of where the extra sales can't be worth it for Farsight. And I think we hit it sometime in the past few months.

Once there was a time when I was thinking of triple-dipping across PC, PS4 and iOS. But with PC and PS4 getting equally short-changed (albeit in differently-weighted aspects) I'm now debating whether it's worth ever buying a full season pack on any one platform at all (let alone all three).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's a seemingly small thing, but I've completely wiped this game from my memory because of the PS4 crap-audio bug. Probably check back in in six months to see if it's fixed.

True. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm slowly (but surely) losing enthusiasm over their product. Is taking on *yet* another platform (like Xbox One) worth sacrificing/alienating the existing user base for things like delays and potential loss in sales? Hearing that the PS4 packs will be delayed a month behind the One because of some contract they had to sign with MS is the further nail in the coffin that they're taking on far too much.
There has to be a tipping point of where the extra sales can't be worth it for Farsight. And I think we hit it sometime in the past few months.

Once there was a time when I was thinking of triple-dipping across PC, PS4 and iOS. But with PC and PS4 getting equally short-changed (albeit in differently-weighted aspects) I'm now debating whether it's worth ever buying a full season pack on any one platform at all (let alone all three).

I'm not losing enthusiasm personally. I'm really excited about what the ASUS ROG Swift 27" UQHD 144hz monitor is going to do for this game in portrait mode, and I'm really hoping to scrape together the funds for that despite having just picked up a high end racing wheel (and with my Rift DK2 charge imminent)... but I'm as frustrated with Farsight as I've ever been. I understand that new platforms bring with them spikes in income and all that, but don't screw over the faithful.

Maybe I should step away... vote with my wallet and all that, but not buying something doesn't clearly send a message. Voicing our disapproval at least specifically targets the issue.

I'm done playing this game on a platform where I constantly wait for tables. First it was the 360. Then I waited for a Wii U version that never materialized. Then I waited for the PS4 release which missed launch. Then I waited for the sound fix and more tables. Then they finally added some more tables and didn't fix the sound. Then my PS4 died and is currently with Sony awaiting a fix, which at least isn't Farsight's fault by any stretch of the imagination. It still leaves me unable to play the game though.

It's frustrating as hell. I want to support the game, but they make it incredibly difficult.

Shaneus

I'm not losing enthusiasm personally. I'm really excited about what the ASUS ROG Swift 27" UQHD 144hz monitor is going to do for this game in portrait mode
Pretty sure it's capped at 60fps :(

And yeah, the rest of your post I agree with completely. I haven't bought into the PS4 version yet (I thought the lighting would be in the PC one by now) but the lacklustre coverage in delivering on releases across platforms has ensured that I won't for a very long time, if ever. Strictly PC and iOS.

Nudging in FX2 is annoying for a few reasons. I don't feel like it ever really helps you. On the new Deadpool table, there's a shot you take straight up the middle - it's like a slanted ramp or something. The problem is that it's not uncommon to get a STDM drain when you nail the shot. What's worse is that nudging is effectively useless to save it. Also, the game warns you with every single nudge...And as such, I don't know what my nudge limits are.
Something to keep in mind with FX2 is that framerates higher than 60 break a couple things. In the Spider-Man table I've noticed going higher will tend to get your ball lost if it goes by the bumpers and the table will essentially soft lock. The nudging physics seem tied to the framerate as well, as they seemed almost completely ineffective when I was using them at higher framerates, but locking it to 60 produced better results.

Vyse24

Some more newsletter stuff: It'll reveal what the next Kickstarter table will be. And they say it'll be pretty expensive.

vg260

Apparently the PC lighting updates hinges on the Xbox One development being completed/released now according to the stream. Not to mention the the MS contract screwing over PS4 users.

This company is ridiculous. I'm done supportting them and giving the the benefit of the doubt. They can keep the kickstarter.

Shaneus

Some more newsletter stuff: It'll reveal what the next Kickstarter table will be. And they say it'll be pretty expensive.
Indiana Jones? I doubt Addams Family would be expensive... more, "complicated" than anything else, I'd think.
If it isn't TAF, there will be blood... so I dunno.

Fake edit: Maybe it's more than one? So even though TAF may be less expensive, if you don't back this KS you won't get this other one *or* TAF.

Apparently the PC lighting updates hinges on the Xbox One development being completed/released now according to the stream. Not to mention the the MS contract screwing over PS4 users.
Yeah, it makes no fucking sense. Considering the ETA was supposed to be Q1 this year, you have to wonder just how far (if at all) the PC version was going to be. It almost sounds like there's quasi-exclusivity for the One version over PC as well (at least, to draw parity), if one wanted to be extremely skeptical/cynical.

I'm neutral on it. TPA used to be on a list of games that would make me buy into current gen consoles, and when reports of its shaky launch hit it immediately fell off, so I don't feel as burned by the Xbox port holding up improvements elsewhere, it just means more waiting stacked on top of an already lengthy wait.

I'd still support a TAF kickstarter at a high level, since it would be cheaper than trying to save up $6-8k for the real thing. Not sure I'd support an Indiana Jones table. I don't have any attachment to that.

Shaneus

I'm neutral on it. TPA used to be on a list of games that would make me buy into current gen consoles, and when reports of its shaky launch hit it immediately fell off, so I don't feel as burned by the Xbox port holding up improvements elsewhere, it just means more waiting stacked on top of an already lengthy wait.
No lie, it was one of the reasons I bought a PS4 so close to launch (along with Driveclub, bahaha). But the sound problem coupled with the one month delay behind One as essentially quashed that ever happening.

vg260

No lie, it was one of the reasons I bought a PS4 so close to launch (along with Driveclub, bahaha). But the sound problem coupled with the one month delay behind One as essentially quashed that ever happening.

Same here. I had bought the PS3 tables to get the discount on PS4, but I'm done with it on that system now.

Has the sound issue ever been patched? 2014 is half over.

It almost sounds like there's quasi-exclusivity for the One version over PC as well (at least, to draw parity), if one wanted to be extremely skeptical/cynical.

At this point, I am fed up with them. They backed up everything to get the XBOne version out and forcing the 30 day delay nonsense on loyal customers patiently waiting. It's been 6+ months.

I have them all on PC, but I feel like an idiot for showing them support. I'm done. They need to get their act together. No one is forcing them to stretch themselves out so thin, and their priorities to push out the tables on a new system over fixing previous issues or delivering on promises does not sit well with me after recent development. I'm usually very soft on devs too if I like the final product, but this is too frustrating.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Wasn't there a Farsight employee that started to post here for a few days? Did he disappear?

I REALLY wish they would get their act together. It's like they need to hire some community relations folks to get involved with places like here, the TPA forums, Pinside, etc. There are a LOT of communities out there that want answers.

Also, someone on pinside posted this:

http://companies.findthebest.com/l/20346452/Farsight-Technologies-Inc-in-Big-Bear-Lake-CA

No idea how up to date this is, but at $4.5m annual revenue, what the fuck are they doing putting the risk in our hands by doing another Kickstarter for a table? They can (and should) fork over the cash themselves. I'm losing SO much faith in a company that is introducing so many new faces to Pinball. What a shame that is...I want to keep giving them money, but the way they run their business is just silly (read: terrible).

$4.5M in revenue isn't that much to keep a company of that size (presuming <25 people) growing. On yesterday's stream they did mention hiring a new person, but only to replace someone who had to leave to take care of a new baby.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
$4.5M in revenue isn't that much to keep a company of that size (presuming <25 people) growing. On yesterday's stream they did mention hiring a new person, but only to replace someone who had to leave to take care of a new baby.

No, its not a ton...But it should be enough to at least license a table, no? Unless licensing costs are significantly higher than I'm rolling in my head?

I'm very happy to have my foot put in my mouth and get some new tables. Luv u again.

I hope having the game out on Steam will give them a larger pool of backers this time. Terminator 2 cut it so close, it was nerve wracking. I wish they could put out alerts on all the platforms, but it's probably only allowable on mobile and Steam.

Shaneus

Honestly didnt think it would ever happen, im sure this will hit its goal
I'm almost kinda bummed about it, because it almost completely puts the kybosh on any future KS tables... who'll back something like IJ now people have their holy grail?

I'm still happy it's gonna make it, though... don't get me wrong. But it could well be the last successful KS we see.

I'd still back more, especially Indiana Jones. I played AF a few times, but no table is really any more important to me than the other. Maybe the popularity of AF will galvanize people to just be excited about Pinball Arcade in general, which will be residuals for future licensing behemoths. I'll try to be optimistic.

microtubule

Steam update rolling out with High Roller Casino!

High Roller Casino Promo Video here

Release notes
Version 1.28.11
- Added High Roller Casino
- Fixed bug with Firepower where balls were stuck in traps if you tilted
- Fixed TILT on black rose staying on screen on next ball
- Fixed camera bug in BOP in 2 player game when player 1 locks a ball, and loses one, when player 2 started the camera would be broken.
- Fixed high wire multiball bug on mulitplayer player games. Wasn't releasing 1 ball at a time when it should have.
- Fixed gorbie gate on Taxi being triggered with hit up right ramp
- LCA - Getting 5 of a kind gives you goal for 4 of a kind.
- Fixed season 1/2 menu back button not working on controller
- Fixed being able to click on season1/2 if you owned all tables in those seasons
- Fixed ball lock lamp in Bride not lighting.
- Fixed TZ multiball issue. Balls now go to autoplunge lane.
- Fixed LCA drop targets
- Fixed Draw order issue on Taxi
- Fixed pop bumper not always scoring on Centaur
- Fixed draw order issue on Harley with transparent ramp
- Fixed draw order issue with flashers on Bride and parts behind them.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So what is the next new table from the newsletter?

I'm curious to see how much they need for Addams Family.

Top Bottom