• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I also have a soft spot for old school tables like Central Park or Big Shot. I kinda wish there were way more tables like those in the Pinball Arcade but I know that the average player probably hates those kind of tables so they won't add too many of them.

Anyone else enjoy those old ones?

They're fun, but I prefer newer stuff. My friend, who isn't a big pinball guy, MUCH prefers older stuff, though. Its fascinating to observe people's preferences.

Shaneus

They're fun, but I prefer newer stuff. My friend, who isn't a big pinball guy, MUCH prefers older stuff, though. Its fascinating to observe people's preferences.
Best option is to toe the line, relish the best of both worlds. Centaur, Firepower... hnnngh. Just frustrates me when I find them setup (like every one at TPF... frustrating!) to be closer to an EM-esque angle than a faster SS-style. I know it's supposed to be the former, but they're just not as fun when they're that slow!

Ocaso

Hey all. Quick question regarding the PS4 retail version of Pinball Arcade: is it patched alongside the PSN version?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So my wife and I are with my family visiting my grandpa for his 80th birthday...On the way back to the airport, we stopped at a nice truck stop, and what do they have? A POTC on location! Flippers were a little weak (all ramps were possible), playfield was dirty, not perfectly level, but still a TON of fun! I had no coins, so I had to bum some change off of my mother, haha. 27 years old and still taking money for video games!

Plus side? My wife loves it and wants to add it to our collection!

snaffles

So my wife and I are with my family visiting my grandpa for his 80th birthday...On the way back to the airport, we stopped at a nice truck stop, and what do they have? A POTC on location! Flippers were a little weak (all ramps were possible), playfield was dirty, not perfectly level, but still a TON of fun! I had no coins, so I had to bum some change off of my mother, haha. 27 years old and still taking money for video games!

Plus side? My wife loves it and wants to add it to our collection!

I know I am being pedantic but it would be great if some of you guys wrote what game you are talking about in full before using acronyms/initialisms. Especially when it is for tables that aren't even in The Pinball Arcade. Don't mean to be a jerk as usually I can figure out what you are referencing, and after doing a search I assume you are talking about Pirates of the Caribbean? It just isn't very friendly to people who aren't knowledgeable on the subject.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I know I am being pedantic but it would be great if some of you guys wrote what game you are talking about in full before using acronyms/initialisms. Especially when it is for tables that aren't even in The Pinball Arcade. Don't mean to be a jerk as usually I can figure out what you are referencing, and after doing a search I assume you are talking about Pirates of the Caribbean? It just isn't very friendly to people who aren't knowledgeable on the subject.

Oh yeah, my bad. It was Pirates of the Caribbean!

Shaneus

Oh, PS. A good friend of mine scored this very recently:
3YQNa0d.jpg

$1500AU
Left flipper doesn't work, DMD is cactus but otherwise apparently in great nick. Very, very happy for him!

Shaneus

That's a goddamn steal unless it requires several further thousands in cleaning and repairs.
It really is. Got it from a friend of a friend who bought it in a double-pack with Fish Tales for $3500, didn't want TAF as he'd already owned one before. Even that's still a goddamned bargain (FT still fetches a decent price in Australia, and apparently this one was 9/10). I'd like to think he'd be happy having me around if he wants some help working on it, so soon I'll be able to have a good look at the guts of a TAF.

Don't worry, I'll post photos!

So it sounded like the most recent patch for TPA on PS4 finally fixed the sound. I only had a quick play of it late last night, so if I'm wrong don't hate on me for it... but to me... things finally sounded right.

meppi

A 5GB patch on PS4? holy crap. Did they change every single table or something?

Edit. Just tried Star Trek and Medieval Madness.
Did they update the lighting? I don't remember it looking this good before.
Could be mistaken it for the Vita version, but I don' think so.

And I still can't buy season 3 tables. :(

Siegmeyer

Apologies if asked already, but does anyone know the state of play with the PS4 discounted bundle of season 1?

The game was available at launch and I still can't buy the season 1 discounted bundle because I bought pro versions of two table packs on PS3 and when trying to upgrade it says I don't qualify because I don't own those tables.

I really want to buy loads of new tables for PS4 but I refuse to give Farsight more money until they stop penalising me for supporting them so well last gen. it was an understandable bug at launch, but it still not being fixed 8 months later is madness.

A 5GB patch on PS4? holy crap. Did they change every single table or something?

Edit. Just tried Star Trek and Medieval Madness.
Did they update the lighting? I don't remember it looking this good before.
Could be mistaken it for the Vita version, but I don' think so.

And I still can't buy season 3 tables. :(

I'll check how CFTBL looks tonight because I just recorded a video of that the other day.

Triz

Apologies if asked already, but does anyone know the state of play with the PS4 discounted bundle of season 1?

The game was available at launch and I still can't buy the season 1 discounted bundle because I bought pro versions of two table packs on PS3 and when trying to upgrade it says I don't qualify because I don't own those tables.

I really want to buy loads of new tables for PS4 but I refuse to give Farsight more money until they stop penalising me for supporting them so well last gen. it was an understandable bug at launch, but it still not being fixed 8 months later is madness.
I've seen them say to contact them when his happens. They have some sort of workaround.

Shaneus

New update on PSN (seems to be available for Europe/Australia now, but I still can't buy any of the new tables?) really rams home the fact that:
a) PC still hasn't received the new lighting, god-knows how long after it was expected
b) New UI is still nowhere to be seen *at all*.

They need to take a month or two off, GET ALL OF THIS STUFF DONE then come back with the TAF KS. We're so close to the end of this season anyway, a delay of a month or two for them to get their shit in order (finally) would hardly be noticed.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
PS4 version (US/Canada) had a large patch last night - practically whole game redownloaded.
It sounds better, has option to select L2/R2 for bumper control, and has all the new Season 3 tables added.
Only problem, main table texture for Junkyard - my favourite S3 table - is messed up beyond belief. It looks like it's being rendered at 4x lower resolution than the rest of the pinball visuals and look far worse than literally any other main table texture in the game. I hope they fix this as I'd like to buy this table, but as is, it hurt my eyes to play it with how terrible it looks and how much it flickers.

That said, I still can't believe how much better this game looks on PS4 than any other version. Then also, the ball behaves better/more lively than any other version. It's practically a different game altogether.

Shaneus

That said, I still can't believe how much better this game looks on PS4 than any other version. Then also, the ball behaves better/more lively than any other version. It's practically a different game altogether.
I want to know why we don't get this with PC. Visuals I can understand require some porting and such, but the physics on an exponentially more powerful platform should be a cakewalk for them.

Screw it. New thread created on PAF. Let's see how that goes.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I decided to put superbands back on my Star Trek - however, I only put them on the bottom flippers. I left the top flipper standard black rubber since the warp ramp shot is nigh impossible with a superband up there. I think now that I've played just over 100 games on my machine, I prefer the superbands. I have a much better feel for the way my game plays and can appreciate the additional control of the superbands now.

Man, no crossbuy on the tables is really bumming me out, its making it hard for me to purchase new titles for season 3.

I have a PS4 at home, and a PS3 at work as well as my vita and play the tables on all three depending on what i'm doing. Double dipping now w/o the season pass is just very unappealing. I think i'll wait to see if tables go on sale.

Shaneus

I decided to put superbands back on my Star Trek - however, I only put them on the bottom flippers. I left the top flipper standard black rubber since the warp ramp shot is nigh impossible with a superband up there. I think now that I've played just over 100 games on my machine, I prefer the superbands. I have a much better feel for the way my game plays and can appreciate the additional control of the superbands now.
Impossible *with* the superbands on the upper flipper? That makes no sense... I found the opposite, replaced the lower flipper rubbers on both my machines with the original red ones but left the SB on the top one. Gets far more power to the ball and makes the shots easier once you get used to where to shoot it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Impossible *with* the superbands on the upper flipper? That makes no sense... I found the opposite, replaced the lower flipper rubbers on both my machines with the original red ones but left the SB on the top one. Gets far more power to the ball and makes the shots easier once you get used to where to shoot it.

Power is higher, but the angle of the Warp Ramp shot is such that the superband makes it REALLY hard.

Went to the Asheville Pinball Museum today in Asheville, North Carolina (USA). Definitely worth a visit, they have 30-ish machines from 1947 until around 2000. $10 for all-you-care-to-play from 4p - 9p. They are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, however. Anyhow, great place, knowledgeable staff. Bit of a misnaming on the museum thing, perhaps, in that it is more a collection of machines (in excellent condition, they are all for sale) for play. Good stuff.

I fell in love with Data East's The Phantom of the Opera. Maybe not so much for the gameplay (though it was OK), but for the art and sound. Wow, what a table. If I were a wealthier man (and was handy with repairing tables) I'd have succumbed and bought it. Also got to play a lot of Black Hole, Haunted House, The Addam's Family, Twilight Zone, Indiana Jones and His Pinball Adventures, Star Wars trilogy, etc. Let's see what else they had that I could remember:

Marjorie (1947), Aquarius, The Wizard, Maverick, Lethal Weapon 3, Popeye, Big Hurt, Shaq Attack, High Speed (not working, though), Cybernaut (I loved the art for that one), Buck Rogers, Star Trek (original series), Paragon, Austin Powers, South Park, Demolition Man, Terminator 3 Rise of the Machines, Pin*Bot. Also Hercules, a ginormous table by Atari with an eight-ball for the pinball. Panthera was there too, that was neat art but eh gameplay. Oh and Capcom's Street Fighter II and a modern billiards themed one -- can't remember the name.

Anyhow, now I really want Phantom for TPA. I wouldn't turn my nose up at Cybernaut either.

Bought Who dunnit. Enjoying it. The "WHO" reminded me of the 80s Dr. Who logo. Suddenly remembered there was a Dr. Who pinball machine. Looked it up, and now I wanna play it. Dammit.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
So I gave to their three Kickstarters and I asked for Wii U keys for all three since they said it was coming in 2012. Anyway, obviously that version hasn't come out and seems to be nowhere on the horizon. Has anyone had any luck getting keys for a different version from them? This has all been really frustrating and has prevented me from playing the game. I don't want to not get the damn tables I've paid for. And as badly as I want TAF I definitely don't feel like giving to the Kickstarter after I've gone over 2 years without rewards from previous ones. Sigh.

So I gave to their three Kickstarters and I asked for Wii U keys for all three since they said it was coming in 2012. Anyway, obviously that version hasn't come out and seems to be nowhere on the horizon. Has anyone had any luck getting keys for a different version from them? This has all been really frustrating and has prevented me from playing the game. I don't want to not get the damn tables I've paid for. And as badly as I want TAF I definitely don't feel like giving to the Kickstarter after I've gone over 2 years without rewards from previous ones. Sigh.

I had pledged to two of the Kickstarters for the 360 version and was in a similar boat. I just e-mailed them through Kickstarter and they switched them to another platform.

I had pledged to two of the Kickstarters for the 360 version and was in a similar boat. I just e-mailed them through Kickstarter and they switched them to another platform.

I forget how I contacted them (directly via e-mail or through kickstarter), but they were polite and got back to me promptly when I requested different keys.

Minsc

Gold Member
That's pretty wild, probably my favorite (original) digital pinball game made. Can't wait for them to release the PC build in probably another few months or more.

jvm

Gamasutra.
This went from my most-played game on PS3/4/V to barely played in 2 months. Unless there are season bundles with discounts in the future ... Eh. :(

Vyse24

Pinball Arcade Facebook said:
We held a poll earlier this year to help us decide on one of the upcoming tables to be released. We are very excited to announce that Diner™ by Williams® will be the next table to join your Season Three collection!

Thank you PinballArcadeFans.com for hosting the poll!
Diner officially Table 29.

Nuklear

Banned
This went from my most-played game on PS3/4/V to barely played in 2 months. Unless there are season bundles with discounts in the future ... Eh. :(

They really have shitted on the PS4 version. They keep saying soon the sounds will be patched...

Went to this Barcadia place downtown today, most of the machines are broken or need some maintenance, but they actually had a South Park pinball machine. Shame the machine or the floor were't exactly level, but it was pretty fun. They had replays set as some ridiculously low starting value, so I ended up getting like 6 free games before I moved on to try their Fish Tales - which ate 2 quarters.

Shaneus

Diner officially Table 29.
Still should've been Earthshaker :(

PS. Great score on ST, nicoga! Do you know how steep you have it setup?

On another note, I received a stack of LEDs from Comet Pinball (give them a go, guys... super cheap international shipping and VERY cheap globes) and got to kitting out my RBION w/ LEDOCD. Game looks vibrant as hell, and with LEDOCD board, zero strobing and fully customisabe brightness and on/off times (so they closer match regular incandescents rather than be hard on/hard off).
If you have an older game that you want to LED, I highly recommend it. Especially if you want to have LEDs but don't like how harsh they tend to look. Adjustable brightness and you can (it's recommended you *do*) use cheap globes.
Around $200 for the board (I think?), and ~$16 for 25 single-SMD (bright as hell) globes. Two packs of those and a few extras, and I was right to go.
Seems to handle fading/half-brightness from the MPU as well, with smooth transitions and little visible brightness stepping. The TPA version of RBION doesn't handle this correctly and you can see the flickering on the inserts when it's meant to fade, but this board handles it fine!

www.cometpinball.com
www.ledocd.com

Be aware, they only do fairly limited runs at a time, so you may need to wait for a board.

Top Bottom