• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

snaffles

I doubt the Data East licenses for pinball are in the same category as for their video games. Pretty sure they'll sit with Stern now (if anyone).

Doing a bit of searching it sounds like that is the case, Stern having the rights to the Data East and Sega tables, so it would just by getting the other licenses for the properties they use, which presumably would require kickstarter campaigns.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That would be awesome but I feel like a bigger licensing hurdle than anything they've done so far (even Terminator). Then again their licensing abilities are pretty surprising. They should put those guys in charge of UX.

Shaneus

Doing a bit of searching it sounds like that is the case, Stern having the rights to the Data East and Sega tables, so it would just by getting the other licenses for the properties they use, which presumably would require kickstarter campaigns.
Simpsons would be, yeah. There are a number of DE tables (particularly later ones) that might not be as bad to license (if it requires that much at all).

I had a chat to Norman (their lead sound guy) at Texas Pinball Festival earlier this year and he said they have a kind of leeway budget/kitty of X amount to cover them for a small potential licensing cost should they need it (but isn't enough to justify a KS campaign). Think Elvira, maybe Ripley's, Monster Bash and Creech as well. For example, I'm pretty sure such a budget would cover relatively minor license requirements (compared to Addams, T2, STTNG) like TFTC, The Getaway (namely, La Grange) and what I'm sure would be a number of others.

Can only hope something like Rollergames or No Fear would fit into that category, too!

bigkrev

Simpsons would be, yeah. There are a number of DE tables (particularly later ones) that might not be as bad to license (if it requires that much at all).

I had a chat to Norman (their lead sound guy) at Texas Pinball Festival earlier this year and he said they have a kind of leeway budget/kitty of X amount to cover them for a small potential licensing cost should they need it (but isn't enough to justify a KS campaign). Think Elvira, maybe Ripley's, Monster Bash and Creech as well. For example, I'm pretty sure such a budget would cover relatively minor license requirements (compared to Addams, T2, STTNG) like TFTC, The Getaway (namely, La Grange) and what I'm sure would be a number of others.

Can only hope something like Rollergames or No Fear would fit into that category, too!

I'm guessing low impact movies also fit- see Bram Stroker's Dracula.

Shaneus

LTmL6O3.jpg

G0JcOf8.jpg

AQRVdz7.jpg
Looking good. Bet it will still play and look better on PS4 by the time it comes out :/

Why does the lighting on the plastics between the 'Adv X' rollovers look so much better than the lighting on the red posts holding the rubbers on the slingshots, etc?

Playfield pics from ipdb show blue plastics on the bumpers and it looks beautiful, makes me wish they were like that originally.

Looking good. Bet it will still play and look better on PS4 by the time it comes out :/

So goddamn sexy. I missed this news when it was first announced but Dracula has long been on my wishlist. I didn't think we'd get it without a kickstarter. That's awesome news.

FoxSpirit

The new Star Trek table is pretty fun though the ruleset feels a bit samey. Feel it needs some tweaking. Had a blast still. Also this is the most impressively lit table I have played on so far. Those leds make it shine!!

startrek01yijbx.png

BIG plus: no ramp shot feels like a fail will insta-center drain 50% of the time as some tables have.

Shaneus

Bahahaha.
tpULrs2.jpg
KFOOIkz.jpg

DxJdkpV.jpg
xWqafRU.jpg

VcoXJ57.jpg
pF7Wvp8.jpg

I'm sorry, but that just looks like a giant turd. And apparently Borg was saying it's the design he's put the most design into and the one he's proudest of. All I can see from the lowish-res overheads is something that looks almost identical to Metallica.

It'll sell because of the theme, but who thought that such busy playfield artwork could look like a good thing? Just looks like a goddamn mess. At least playfield dirt would make it look *more* authentic, a massive problem with new Sterns and how quickly they get grotty (at least, even compared to my Ripley's).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Pretty perfect example of how great it would be to get away from all these dudebro themes (though I know there's a market reason we keep seeing them). It's almost like self-parody. So brown (nice Star Trek above makes for a pretty great contrast). Art is really lame too considering where they could have gone with the comic origins. Everything looks like something off a cheap DVD boxart.

/probably overreacting, but still

Shaneus

Pretty perfect example of how great it would be to get away from all these dudebro themes (though I know there's a market reason we keep seeing them). It's almost like self-parody. So brown (nice Star Trek above makes for a pretty great contrast). Art is really lame too considering where they could have gone with the comic origins. Everything looks like something off a cheap DVD boxart.

/probably overreacting, but still
It's going to sound bitter, but it looks like it's a Zen pinball table. Too busy and no real thought put into object placement (art-wise) or consideration for proper design ideas.

Steve Ritchie gave specific instructions to Greg Freres re: the pinball art on Star Trek, and that was to keep it simple... and it worked. I don't know what kind of direction the license for TWD would have allowed, but given the similarity to Metallica, Borg likely offered none at all, or "squeeze in as much shit as you can!".

I'm with you on the dudebro themes, Astro. It frustrates the fuck out of me that Gary Stern rambles on about appealing to a wider cross-section of people, then pulls out shit like Mustang, Star Trek and finally TWD. I probably posted about it on this page, but how about:

a) The Muppets
b) Lego
c) TMNT (preferably the Nickelodeon one)
d) Wallace & Gromit
e) Hell, even Guardians of the Galaxy

At least JJP (with WOZ, Hobbit and potentially the new Lawlor pin) and Homepin (the Aussie company releasing Thunderbirds) have it right.

Personally, I think The Muppets is a lock. Mentally, I picture something aesthetically similar to Bugs Bunny's Birthday Bash, with a mostly white look.

FoxSpirit

e) Hell, even Guardians of the Galaxy
GotG pinball is certainly a lock, madly successfull movie, let's hope the pin can keep up. Avengers is nice in my book and the tesseract spinner is a nice throwback to my first simulated pin, TotAN. Though the bridging ramp shot has a very evil tendency to center drain on fail. Hate that. Don't make ramps like this, guys.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's going to sound bitter, but it looks like it's a Zen pinball table. Too busy and no real thought put into object placement (art-wise) or consideration for proper design ideas.

I must be out of touch because I checked Pinside and people seem to be going absolutely nuts about how great it is. But the tenor of the reaction makes me wonder if it would have been the same regardless of what was posted.

"so glad I preordered--AMAZING"

Ah well not to begrudge anyone's hype. Clearly Stern knows their audience. :p

snaffles

I must be out of touch because I checked Pinside and people seem to be going absolutely nuts about how great it is. But the tenor of the reaction makes me wonder if it would have been the same regardless of what was posted.

I don't think people that just dropped six thousand dollars are going to talk objectively about the table. You only need to look at the gaming forums here to see how much people will defend awful games they spent $60 on. Are you guys aware that Zen actually released both a Walking Dead and Guardians of the Galaxy table in the last couple of months? So you can easily do your comparisons.

Shaneus

Yeah, I think you'd get the same reaction from people who preordered a Mustang. Only difference being there's a wider audience for TWD (sorry, AMC's TWD) than 'Stang.

I don't think people that just dropped six thousand dollars are going to talk objectively about the table. You only need to look at the gaming forums here to see how much people will defend awful games they spent $60 on. Are you guys aware that Zen actually released both a Walking Dead and Guardians of the Galaxy table in the last couple of months? So you can easily do your comparisons.
Aware, but I'm familiar with Zen's physics and table design and that it's generally not so hot (though having said that, the same could be said for pretty much all of John Borg's designs). But you're right about objectivity, though. People who spend $6k upwards (even moreso here in Australia for the pro) won't be objective at all. I know that given Stern's build quality over the last 7-8 years (with a few notable exceptions) has been spotty at best as far as toys go.

On that note, though, I'll be hitting up an Iron Man Vault Edition at lunchtime today. Never played the original, but it'll be interesting to see how this one feels compared to other new machines or whether it feels like an older Stern (same era as Spidey and Tron, IIRC).

Was funny at Texas this year, stacks of people lining up to get Steve Ritchie's signature (including myself)... not as many for John Borg. Who knows, maybe his signature just looks like a composite of everyone else's?

Shaneus

Massive grain of salt, keeping in mind:
a) It was posted on PAF
b) I can't read it as it's blocked at work

*but*

Ghostbusters up next from Stern?

I'm guessing it's a load of shit (unless maybe they recorded callouts from Harold Ramis) but it'd be a great theme. Shame that Stern just seems to be ripping off all their ideas from boutique/"little guy" operations, though. I know Ghostbusters was originally a custom-theme game and the KISS license was sniped from John Popadiuk after he made his foamcore model of what a modern KISS pinball machine would look like (which I'm quite dirty on, makes Stern come off like complete cunts).

Edit: Don't mind that speculation thread, then. It's just photos of Gary Stern sitting in a Ghostbusters replica car, presumably for the anniversary of the movie. Can't believe someone started a thread on it, especially when similar teases have been done for Muppets and My Little Pony.

Lettuce

Think FarSight are making their first original table with the help of some industry legends....and theres a strong possibility its going to be GhostBusters!!

In other news The Addams Family KickStarter is starting today!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm absolutely stunned they got the Raul Julia estate onboard.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I wonder why they couldn't get two of the actor's licenses.

But $100k is nuts. I don't know if they're going to make that...

Minsc

Gold Member
Almost 100k? Damn. I'm hopeful this table has the love everyone says it has, because this is gonna be rough

As I mentioned in the KS thread, it may not be so much the table's love, but Farsight's good will that will be tested with this KS. Addams Family is the holy grail of tables, well one of them anyway, and has a ton of fans. Let's hope Farsight does too! I hope they make it, it's probably my favorite table of all time, maybe not the best table made, but definitely the one I remember playing the most 10-20 years back.

As I mentioned in the KS thread, it may not be so much the table's love, but Farsight's good will that will be tested with this KS. Addams Family is the holy grail of tables, well one of them anyway, and has a ton of fans. Let's hope Farsight does too! I hope they make it, it's probably my favorite table of all time, maybe not the best table made, but definitely the one I remember playing the most 10-20 years back.

Oh i'm hopeful, but yeah, given the handling of business recently, its gonna be an uphill battle. I certainly think this is likely the last Kickstarter table we see, honestly.

Oh i'm hopeful, but yeah, given the handling of business recently, its gonna be an uphill battle. I certainly think this is likely the last Kickstarter table we see, honestly.

Maybe William's Indy table could happen, but beyond that I'm not sure what else could have the support to hit something close to $100,000 in pledges.

Maybe William's Indy table could happen, but beyond that I'm not sure what else could have the support to hit something close to $100,000 in pledges.

Disney owns Indy these days right? I don't see FS affording those licensing costs + the star of the next Star Wars movie with a hundred grand in KS funds. :(

Bahahaha.

I'm sorry, but that just looks like a giant turd. And apparently Borg was saying it's the design he's put the most design into and the one he's proudest of. All I can see from the lowish-res overheads is something that looks almost identical to Metallica.

It'll sell because of the theme, but who thought that such busy playfield artwork could look like a good thing? Just looks like a goddamn mess. At least playfield dirt would make it look *more* authentic, a massive problem with new Sterns and how quickly they get grotty (at least, even compared to my Ripley's).

Looks ok to me but I really don't like the standup zombie toy. It's just Wolverine again; With this and Mustang, I'm not liking Stern's new love of front field standups and objects. It's just a way to get more drains. It's the new magnet target that randomly flings the balls, which was also on that wolverine toy for X-men.

Lettuce

And with a new table comes a new newsletter! Playstation news! Ouya sale! And of course, TAF Kickstarter!

Table Hint. Scared Stiff is the next FTOTM
2nJ72XS.jpg

The bods over on the pinball arcade fans forum suggest that Phatom Of The Opera will be kicking off Season 4. A first for TPA as it's a Data East table and one of the better Data East tables at that.........or though that might not bring saying much

I haven't checked over at PAF yet, but are they thinking Phantom based on the reasoning that the car looks like the car Christine (Stephen King novel) and Christine is also the name of the main character in Phantom? If so, that's one of the better hints we've gotten. Man, I hope it is true, I played Phantom at the Asheville Pinball Museum and fell in love with it -- a gorgeous table to be sure. When does S4 start?

Minsc

Gold Member
I haven't checked over at PAF yet, but are they thinking Phantom based on the reasoning that the car looks like the car Christine (Stephen King novel) and Christine is also the name of the main character in Phantom? If so, that's one of the better hints we've gotten. Man, I hope it is true, I played Phantom at the Asheville Pinball Museum and fell in love with it -- a gorgeous table to be sure. When does S4 start?

They generally don't skip months, so it'd be next month's table (table 1 of S4).

Top Bottom