• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Not to rehash the old argument, but aren't the Zen Pinball games still pretty bad? I mean Farsight has their flaws too but I always thought gameplay wise they were leagues ahead of Zen (for real games -- if you're not looking to play a game of pinball based on RL then obviously it's mostly personal preference).

Shaneus

Not to rehash the old argument, but aren't the Zen Pinball games still pretty bad? I mean Farsight has their flaws too but I always thought gameplay wise they were leagues ahead of Zen (for real games -- if you're not looking to play a game of pinball based on RL then obviously it's mostly personal preference).
In terms of table design they're okay, but controls and physics wise it's way, way off. TPA feels a lot closer to being realistic, and that's saying something.

Neither are anywhere near close to Pro Pinball though. That's still the gold standard.

The question becomes what they charge for these modern Stern titles released in digital format. I wouldn't be surprised if we see $20+.
Depends. They also need to promote their tables as well as possible, given they know the boost some titles appearing on TPA has seen in public demand. RBION is the big example there, but I'm sure there are a few others. They are aware.

Triz

Give me the damn Tron Stern table in Pinball Arcade and I'd be happy. Have heard nothing but good things and I've never seen one in public.

I worry that the stern tables will be expensive for an extra reason: They won't be around as long for sale digitally because the licenses on modern IP have some really short expiration dates and prohibitively expensive renewal options.

Blu10

Give me the damn Tron Stern table in Pinball Arcade and I'd be happy. Have heard nothing but good things and I've never seen one in public.

I just got back from an absolutely amazing arcade, and they had a Tron there. It was definitely good, but the wizard of oz blew it out of the water. I'm not a fan of the theme at all, but it is far and away the best pinball machine I've ever played. The other surprise was mustang. For how low it is rated, I'll look to pick one up at a steal.

I didn't want to full photo dump, so here are some pictures of what the pinball campout is like.
DSC01623_zpsgp3hbuv7.jpg

DSC01625_zpss1xtiktp.jpg

DSC01624_zpsh5jirtja.jpg

DSC01622_zps2gjg46uo.jpg

DSC01602_zpspbkdgis3.jpg

DSC01621_zpstehjmawu.jpg

DSC01618_zpsh4eog5gf.jpg

DSC01617_zpsxhvqhvie.jpg

DSC01616_zpsxrvqqxvo.jpg

DSC01613_zpsdhbzl5wl.jpg

DSC01604_zpsn0wfai9b.jpg

Shaneus

I didn't want to full photo dump, so here are some pictures of what the pinball campout is like.
So fucking jealous! Looks like a blast.

amazing! so thats what heaven looks like eh?
Pinball and camping..jesus that looks like a great time
Pretty much this. I love the idea of playing pinball outside (or at least, a naturally-lit room), so that looks awesome. Hell, I'd consider flying from Australia to experience something like that.

That looks awesome. Extra points for some EMs

There were fewer EM's than normal; it was heavy on more modern games this year.

I highlight game was that BOBO, which very few people have seen. If you look, it was build with a little smoke holder on the ledge.

How many people were at the event? And were there any issues with rain or moisture from the machines being outside?

There were about 40 of us this year; That's a normal crowd - We had several people who didn't make it but some new one showed up.

No issues this year since it was about as dry as it could get. We have had rain/snow in previous years but in those cases we just put up extra tarps. To my knowledge there has never been an issue with the moisture. The games are ok for a few days outside without the moisture causing a problem.

edit: Oh, and I got to come home with an f-14 Tomcat. Trent Augustine is going to keep it at our place for a few months and then have it shipped so I'll be able to be it for a while.

Shaneus

edit: Oh, and I got to come home with an f-14 Tomcat. Trent Augustine is going to keep it at our place for a few months and then have it shipped so I'll be able to be it for a while.
You (lucky) bastard. Ever since I saw this video, I wanted to own one. Played it a little at Texas last year and it destroyed me, but I'd still like to have one for when I'm feeling masochistic. Nice score!

On that note, I think Farsight are streaming soon a play of F-14 which I think is due to be released either this week or next (I never remember how their schedules go).

Vyse24

You (lucky) bastard. Ever since I saw this video, I wanted to own one. Played it a little at Texas last year and it destroyed me, but I'd still like to have one for when I'm feeling masochistic. Nice score!

On that note, I think Farsight are streaming soon a play of F-14 which I think is due to be released either this week or next (I never remember how their schedules go).

Usually they do the stream the day before the table gets released. So if that's the case, expect that, and the newsletter, coming tomorrow.

Shaneus

Usually they do the stream the day before the table gets released. So if that's the case, expect that, and the newsletter, coming tomorrow.
Cheers, I'd completely forgotten.

I'm not really as pumped for tomorrow's newsletter as I have been in the past. I recall requesting F-14 quite a bit on PAF (thinking it would never make it) and it has, so now I have pretty much everything I've wanted. Unless they start hinting at Rollergames, in which case I'm fucked.

Shaneus

Yeah, wasn't a tough guess. But man, I'm so happy that the F-14 update hit iOS THE DAY IT WAS SUPPOSED TO. I almost fainted when I saw it.

And the game plays fucking great on PC and iOS too. Super fast and brutal, though somehow I was able to almost roll it on my first game of it on PC (I'd already played a few games on iOS beforehand). I just wish they could get High Speed playing similar across the board, it should be far more brutal than it is.

Velinos

Looks like FarSight is going to be releasing more Stern games. From Stern's Facebook page.

Stern Pinball Announces New Expanded Partnership with Digital Game Developer FarSight Studios
World’s Leading Maker of Arcade Quality Pinball Games Teams Up With Digital Pinball Wizards to Connect the Real and Virtual Worlds
ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL – September 22, 2015 – Stern Pinball, Inc., the world's oldest and largest producer of arcade-quality pinball games, announced a new expanded partnership with FarSight Studios, a developer and publisher of multi-platform digital games including The Pinball Arcade. FarSight will develop a new digital platform called the Stern Pinball Arcade that will feature exact virtual replicas of Stern Pinball’s hottest terrestrial pinball machines.
FarSight Studios has been developing top videogame products across platforms for more than two decades. From movie licensed strategy games and hardcore sports titles to edutainment games for kids and mass-market software. Over the years, FarSight has developed many best-selling franchises, such as Game Party, Sega Sports’ NFL games for the Genesis, NCAA college football games for EA, Backyard Sports for Atari, PlayTV for Radica/Mattel and the Pinball Hall of Fame for Crave.
“At Stern, we’re always looking for new ways to excite our existing fans and gain new ones,” said Gary Stern, CEO of Stern Pinball. “Expanding our partnership with FarSight Studios is helping us do just that. Both gamers and pinball enthusiasts of all stripes and abilities will love the new products we create together.”
“Anyone in the gaming world knows Stern Pinball, which is why we are so pleased about the renewal and expansion of this partnership,” said Jay Obernolte, CEO of FarSight Studios. “We always want to be offering our customers more and we think our fans will love the pinball titles that Stern has to offer.”
Pricing and Availability
Availability of the new products and pricing will be announced later this fall. To learn more about the partnership please visit www.SternPinball.com.
About Stern Pinball, Inc.
Stern Pinball, Inc., headquartered just outside Chicago, Illinois, is the oldest and largest producer of arcade-quality pinball games in the world. Stern’s highly talented creative and technical teams design, engineer and manufacture a full line of popular pinball games, merchandise and accessories. Recent Stern titles include KISS, WWE WrestleMania, The Walking Dead, Mustang, Star Trek, Metallica, The Avengers, X-Men, AC/DC, Tron, Transformers, Avatar, Iron Man, Batman, Spiderman and many more! All of Stern’s pinball games are crafted by hand and assembled by Stern’s expert team. A broad range of players enjoy Stern’s games from professional pinball players that compete in high-stakes international competitions around the globe to novice players who are discovering the allure of the silver ball for the first time. To join the fun and learn more, please visit www.SternPinball.com.
About FarSight Studios
FarSight Studios started developing pinball video games in 2004 with the critically acclaimed Pinball Hall of Fame games. G4TV awarded Best Mobile Game of 2012 to FarSight’s Pinball Arcade. Pinball Arcade features exact recreations of the all-time greatest pinball tables from Williams®, Bally®, Stern Pinball®, and Gottlieb® together in one game with a new table added each month. Pinball Arcade has been downloaded over 12 million times across mobile, console and PC platforms, and has over one million active players each month. Check out FarSight Studios and The Pinball Arcade for more details.
###
All trademarks and product names are the property of their respective companies.

There will be an all new app called "Stern Pinball Arcade" that will exclusively feature many of our modern tables. This app will be developed by FarSight, whom you all know as the creators of The Pinball Arcade.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Looks like FarSight is going to be releasing more Stern games. From Stern's Facebook page.

This is pretty fantastic. I honestly would spend good money on these tables. Really really looking forward to additional news.

E: Just need to decide if I should continue purchasing tables on Android or if I should move over to iOS or PC.

Also, I was looking more at Game of Thrones...I honestly think the Premium/LE tables look pretty great. Not a fan of the show, so looking purely at layout speculation. Can't wait to see reviews and gameplay videos.

Shaneus

New "app"? Hope this doesn't mean I'll be locked to playing these titles only on my iPhone/iPad.

But great news otherwise. What's the bet that FS will have their new UI ready to go for the new platform, but leave their existing ones hung out to dry? Also hoping this doesn't impact the timeliness of regular table releases. It should be easier for them to create tables at least, with the art assets likely directly obtainable from Stern themselves.

OK, so I bought TPA Season 1 & 2 on Vita the other week for £12.50 each in the sale.

Downloaded Season 1 fine, played all the tables... went to download Season 2 today and its not on my download list.
Looked it up on the store and there's no button to download it, or buy it.

Season 1 has a 'download now' button and S3 has a 'buy now' button but S2 has neither.

What's the deal? How do I download it?

Oh, it should be a magical night.

The great American Beer Fest is running this weekend so this week lots of breweries are doing "tap take over's"

Basically they take over the bar and have an event. It's a pinball tourney tonight. There is a Pac Man battle royale tournament tomorrow which sucks because I'm busy and I can rek that game.

They did this last year and for the local players it's great. They get 20-30 drunk locals who don't play pin all excited, pay 10 bucks and then a small handful of us run them down and take all their money! Of course I'll have to beat a decent player in the end but it's free beer and pin so I'm ready.

I got 325mil in the Walk dead this week which is my best score by far. I did all the modes but bricked the last shot to start HORDE multiball, which I think was the last thing to do for wizard mode, which none of us have seen. Speaking of which, I really hate the Walking Dead LE. They added extra stuff that just slows down play and makes it harded without an extra reward. I'm trying to think of times when the pro version is just objectively better than the LE and this and Metallica are the only ones that come to mind.

Shaneus

I got 325mil in the Walk dead this week which is my best score by far. I did all the modes but bricked the last shot to start HORDE multiball, which I think was the last thing to do for wizard mode, which none of us have seen. Speaking of which, I really hate the Walking Dead LE. They added extra stuff that just slows down play and makes it harded without an extra reward. I'm trying to think of times when the pro version is just objectively better than the LE and this and Metallica are the only ones that come to mind.
I haven't played the LE of TWD, but I'd put WWE (not that it takes much, but the spinner in the ring is just a plain bad idea) and AC/DC as well into that list. I just don't like how AC/DC Premium/LE feels compared to the Pro, much prefer the standups and actually knowing where the ball will go on the left loop shot. TBH Stern really haven't done that much with LEs to sell me on more than a Pro. I struggle to think where the cost of an LE would be worth it over the Pro... I hear Kiss isn't all that great (as LEs go) either.

I haven't played the LE of TWD, but I'd put WWE (not that it takes much, but the spinner in the ring is just a plain bad idea) and AC/DC as well into that list. I just don't like how AC/DC Premium/LE feels compared to the Pro, much prefer the standups and actually knowing where the ball will go on the left loop shot. TBH Stern really haven't done that much with LEs to sell me on more than a Pro. I struggle to think where the cost of an LE would be worth it over the Pro... I hear Kiss isn't all that great (as LEs go) either.

I don't think I could play a ACDC pro at this point. The lower playfield has become too important to how we play. We've only had the LE everywhere we play so I think I'm just used to it. WWE I could agree with mechanically but the LE graphics and sound is just too good.

I'm not sure I even know what the difference in the KISS le and pro is. I've come around on KISS quite a bit and I don't think it's great but I do enjoy playing it now.

Shaneus

Should be archived, yes... because they're one of those authorised Twitch channels.

But basically, it looks like it plays DAMN quick and super fun. It's been a while since we've seen a flow game from anyone (which is sad, but I think because most people equate flow with lack of depth, it's shit) so to see this, and look like it's enjoyable and keeps you on your toes... I'd say Ritchie has done it yet again.

And the artwork is nowhere near as noticeably bad as I'd thought. The GI with it's blackspots actually works for the game in keeping some gaudy parts of the playfield dim. Clearly GoT is meant to be played in a dark(er) room:
ciUJpoG.png

(apologies for low-res, work internet is shitty)

I don't think I could play a ACDC pro at this point. The lower playfield has become too important to how we play. We've only had the LE everywhere we play so I think I'm just used to it. WWE I could agree with mechanically but the LE graphics and sound is just too good.

I'm not sure I even know what the difference in the KISS le and pro is. I've come around on KISS quite a bit and I don't think it's great but I do enjoy playing it now.
I just don't like the spinner in the ring in WWE. It makes it too random and when you can be totally unlucky in not hitting the saucer where you can somewhat aim for it on the pro... ugh. But I think AC/DC is just different strokes. Lower p/f I just find annoying because I can't grasp what the significance of it is in scoring big points, but I don't know how to score massively in that game in the first place. I just try and find shots I like to hit on whatever machine I'm playing and keep hitting them. Backhanding the train loop is particularly fun!

As far as I know with KISS, the main differences are physical ball locks in Gene's head, and the floating ball toy thing at the back of the playfield (and I don't even know how that effects play, if at all). From what I've heard, it's actually kinda crummy and cheap and is in no way fit for comparison with mist MB on BSD.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
btw for those that are interested NoEx has released the Camera mod with 2 screen cab support over on the TPA fans site.
I've put together standard camera files, 3 sets of Backglass graphic files(more to come) and some documentation.

no Pindmd support atm but NoEx is working on coding a way to be able to use a 3rd monitor where we can clone the display and move to center on a dmd monitor as well.

Any digital Pincab players should really check it out..

http://pinballarcadefans.com/forumdisplay.php/112-FreeCamera-Mod
Silverballs setup

I just don't like the spinner in the ring in WWE. It makes it too random and when you can be totally unlucky in not hitting the saucer where you can somewhat aim for it on the pro... ugh. But I think AC/DC is just different strokes. Lower p/f I just find annoying because I can't grasp what the significance of it is in scoring big points, but I don't know how to score massively in that game in the first place. I just try and find shots I like to hit on whatever machine I'm playing and keep hitting them. Backhanding the train loop is particularly fun!

As far as I know with KISS, the main differences are physical ball locks in Gene's head, and the floating ball toy thing at the back of the playfield (and I don't even know how that effects play, if at all). From what I've heard, it's actually kinda crummy and cheap and is in no way fit for comparison with mist MB on BSD.

Well in general that lower play-field will only get you 5-10 million points in a use depending on how you do. What I have seen (Jen Peavler's strat) is to start in one of those mode, do the lower field for 5 million and then right the right ramp for a 5 million song jackpot. It's not much but it's like she always starts her game with 10 mill before the ball save is off.

Oh, this is stupid but every year I got to the Pintoberfest tournament with my black suit and a mask on. My old one is worn so which one of these does anyone like?

I like the 2nd and 4th on on the bottom row (from the left) I'm worried any eye-mesh will make it too hard to see my games.

Con%20Leche_zpsvpiieo87.png

Shaneus

btw for those that are interested NoEx has released the Camera mod with 2 screen cab support over on the TPA fans site.
I've put together standard camera files, 3 sets of Backglass graphic files(more to come) and some documentation.

no Pindmd support atm but NoEx is working on coding a way to be able to use a 3rd monitor where we can clone the display and move to center on a dmd monitor as well.

Any digital Pincab players should really check it out..

http://pinballarcadefans.com/forumdisplay.php/112-FreeCamera-Mod
Silverballs setup
Oh shit, that looks great! Have a feeling it'll be via him that we get either (or both) Oculus/head tracking support for TPA.

And for those masks... wouldn't the fourth be better given the second would probably fuck with your peripheral vision?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Now the JPOP coast2coast podcast...that was unlistenable. :D Thankfully Nate admitted as much on his next one. Not unlistenable in a "he should have attacked him more!" kind of way...just really boring and self-indulgent on the part of JPOP.

Shaneus

Now the JPOP coast2coast podcast...that was unlistenable. :D Thankfully Nate admitted as much on his next one. Not unlistenable in a "he should have attacked him more!" kind of way...just really boring and self-indulgent on the part of JPOP.
I was happy that it wasn't a scathing attack and more a "let him dig his own grave" episode. That way people get an unfiltered perspective of his, rather than being forced into saying things he's not prepared to say.

Pinsiders are (as usual) far off the mark.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I was happy that it wasn't a scathing attack and more a "let him dig his own grave" episode. That way people get an unfiltered perspective of his, rather than being forced into saying things he's not prepared to say.

Yeah, I mean anyone who expected Nate to just go all out definitely hasn't paid attention to his podcast. I thought he did a good job but the guy is just boring and delusional. It's not like Nate has held back either -- I thought he went in hard on jpop before.

Shaneus

Yeah, I mean anyone who expected Nate to just go all out definitely hasn't paid attention to his podcast. I thought he did a good job but the guy is just boring and delusional. It's not like Nate has held back either -- I thought he went in hard on jpop before.
Absolutely. I was even surprised to read in the Jpop thread that the OP had resigned himself to losing his money and thought the episode just confirmed everything he considered.

On another note, PAX Australia is coming up in a month or so and I have an opportunity to buy a ticket. It's $160, but this is the retro gaming area schedule:
ndVN99tl.png

Apparently a GoT Pro will be there. I mean, I might not even qualify on Saturday, so I'm trying to weigh up whether it's worth spending that money or not... and to top it all off, one of my grails has finally gone up on eBay with NR. Sigh.

Oh shit, that looks great! Have a feeling it'll be via him that we get either (or both) Oculus/head tracking support for TPA.

And for those masks... wouldn't the fourth be better given the second would probably fuck with your peripheral vision?

I did with small eye holes last year and it was ok to play in. Every wants the Sin cara mask but it has eye mesh and I can't drink wearing it.

Dude, if you are going, post some details. Go crush it!

snaffles

. Some of you folks live in Colorado right? I am going to be over there for a week and was looking to get some pinball in. I will be in Colorado Springs and Denver and will have a car so I don't mind travelling a bit. Any recommendations on where to visit would be welcomed.
Sure, you seem like a handsome poster, I'll help you out. There is an arcade in Manitou Springs with 20 or so pinball tables ranging from 70s tables like Mata Hari and Silverball, through to the modern Stern stuff like Whoa Nellie, Lord of the Rings, Mustang, NASCAR etc. they are all in playable condition, with some in better shape than others. They had a Star Trek: TNG in pretty good shape that I dumped a bunch of quarters into as well.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

My favorite part of the episode was when Nate asked if JPOP understood why people were mad and stopped sending money...And he said no.

I lost my shit.

Shaneus

So excited, there's going to be a one-off (for now) match play tourney in Melbourne that's actually encouraging people to bring their own machines! Logistically, I can't bring any of mine which is a shame (though I'd love to bring High Speed!) but finally, a comp that's not a Sternament:
The Walking Dead Pro
Legends of WrestleMania LE
Kiss Pro
Truck Stop
Gilligan's Island
Jack*Bot
Rollergames

No idea how to play any of the non-Sterns (except for Rollergames to an extent and a bit of Jackbot) but just to have a bit of variety in there will be fantastic.

Shaneus

I don't want to get too excited, but I'm inching ever closer to obtaining one of my grail pins! It went on no reserve on eBay a little over a week ago after the seller couldn't sell it at $2.5k, and it's only sitting on ~$300 now. I'm about to get myself a bargain, I think!

Super excited.

Blu10

I don't want to get too excited, but I'm inching ever closer to obtaining one of my grail pins! It went on no reserve on eBay a little over a week ago after the seller couldn't sell it at $2.5k, and it's only sitting on ~$300 now. I'm about to get myself a bargain, I think!

Super excited.

I never buy or sell anything on eBay so excuse my ignorance, but couldn't the seller pull the auction and take the rep hit that comes with it?

Shaneus

I never buy or sell anything on eBay so excuse my ignorance, but couldn't the seller pull the auction and take the rep hit that comes with it?
Potentially. I'm hoping not, and he did a similar auction a few weeks ago where a machine he was asking $2k for went for $600, so I think he'd still go through with it and take the hit.

Might not, but he sells a stack of other stuff online (he's an importer) and any black mark against his name would look pretty bad.

Blu10

Potentially. I'm hoping not, and he did a similar auction a few weeks ago where a machine he was asking $2k for went for $600, so I think he'd still go through with it and take the hit.

Might not, but he sells a stack of other stuff online (he's an importer) and any black mark against his name would look pretty bad.

Well I've got my fingers crossed for you, and expect photos after you win :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What game is it again?

Also, Bob's Burgers on Pinball FX is amazing news. Not sure if it was mentioned here...But I can't WAIT for that.

Shaneus

No luck :( Was under $500 until about 3 mins to go, a new bidder appeared and bidded right up to the last second to $1,400 :( Not upset as it was much more than I wanted to pay, but pissed that it went for that much and I had no idea this other buyer was interested until the last minute.

Hoping he'll pull out, not expecting to have paid that much for it. Then it might go to me with the next highest bid which will be around $500 (but not expecting it to).

Top Bottom