• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Brashnir

Looks very nice but incredibly dark compared to the iPad/iPhone version (which is generally the brightest). A lot of the time over half the table is not even visible, which is nice for showing off the light effects, but I just hope they have an option to play in a more lit environment like the iPad/iPhone if you desire because getting both settings would be ideal.

At one point int he video, he shows how to turn the ambient lighting all the way down. It looks like all of the rest of the video is taken with it set that way.

Awesome. If they're reviewing it, then surely the PS4 is close? I will probably buy several tables on PS4 and double dip on a handful of the ones I really like on Vita.

Has anyone stopped to consider how sweet it will be to stream sessions on Twitch? I look forward to getting schooled by all of you wizards in this thread and learning by watching!

Awesome. If they're reviewing it, then surely the PS4 is close? I will probably buy several tables on PS4 and double dip on a handful of the ones I really like on Vita.

Has anyone stopped to consider how sweet it will be to stream sessions on Twitch? I look forward to getting schooled by all of you wizards in this thread and learning by watching!

Yeah, really looking forward to the streaming. Also remote play will be great -- hoping the PS4 tables on the Vita will look better than the Vita native tables themselves.

Yeah, really looking forward to the streaming. Also remote play will be great -- hoping the PS4 tables on the Vita will look better than the Vita native tables themselves.

I'm sure they will, but until (if?) remote play gets patched for 60 fps, I doubt I'll be playing much pinball that way.

Vyse24

owz7fmL.jpg

Feels good, man.

Brashnir

Man, TATE mode locking up half of the time when you get a high score is obnoxious. Makes me not want to play. Any work on when the patch to fix that will be out?

Minsc

Gold Member
The next generation of pinball is upon us! The Pinball Arcade on the PS4 looks stunning!

http://www.twitch.tv/psnation/b/481274212

Looks great, and welcome to gaf! Really great work keeping stuff up to date at the PAF forums, always appreciated having a nice central source of information to find frequent updates in.

Looking as good as it looks now on the PS4, that makes me optimistic that the horribly low-res wooden floor textures will eventually get removed or upgraded.

Shaneus

The next generation of pinball is upon us! The Pinball Arcade on the PS4 looks stunning!

Hey, love your work! Whatever you do, don't try to accidentally start modding, your powers are useless here ;)

I actually came back to this thread to bring up something that appeared on the PAF website, Pinball Arcade Players... a more focused (I guess?) website for TPA. Probably closer to an awesome wikia or something I guess.

Just on the PS4 version... ugh, I thought we were going to have the new UI by now :( And the lighting is quite uneven, too. I think the difference is that Funhouse has a lot of prebaked lighting effects that make it look far better than the other tables on the current releases (PC, iOS, 360 etc.), but something was lost or not fixed in transition and rather than have the table being "flat" and then having lighting applied (as it should, like we see in Elvira) it looks over-exaggerated. At least, that's what I think. I suspect same for BoP as well... looks too overdone compared to Elvira.

Anyone else think that?

PiN WiZ

Neo Member
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

As for the UI...an entirely brand new redesigned UI is currently in development and should be rolled out to all platforms and devices in the very near future. I'm not allowed to elaborate on the details, but I can assure you that FarSight has been listening to everyone's feedback and you'll all be very satisfied with the end result.

CzarTim

Does anyone know if there are plans on doing sales for the Steam version? I'd like to get a season one pass, but this close to the steam sale, I might wait and see.

vg260

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

As for the UI...an entirely brand new redesigned UI is currently in development and should be rolled out to all platforms and devices in the very near future. I'm not allowed to elaborate on the details, but I can assure you that FarSight has been listening to everyone's feedback and you'll all be very satisfied with the end result.

Fantastic!

Siegmeyer

Just watched the IGN review and holy shit does the PS4 version look good. Have nearly all tables on PS3 and will be upgrading them all if only to just stare at the lighting.

And welcome to GAF PiN WiZ. You do solid work on the PAF forum.

thanks for joining us.

NOW WHEN DO I GETS TO PLAY THIS?

:p

edit: watched up to the end of your Bride of Pinbot game so far. considering you don't nudge or pass, you're damn good, better than me and I occasionally nudge and pass a lot. I really felt for you on those metamorphoses.

Just on the PS4 version... ugh, I thought we were going to have the new UI by now :( And the lighting is quite uneven, too. I think the difference is that Funhouse has a lot of prebaked lighting effects that make it look far better than the other tables on the current releases (PC, iOS, 360 etc.), but something was lost or not fixed in transition and rather than have the table being "flat" and then having lighting applied (as it should, like we see in Elvira) it looks over-exaggerated. At least, that's what I think. I suspect same for BoP as well... looks too overdone compared to Elvira.

Anyone else think that?

I've only watched the first three tables so far. I love how Bride looks now.

PiN WiZ

Neo Member
thanks for joining us.

NOW WHEN DO I GETS TO PLAY THIS?

:p

edit: watched up to the end of your Bride of Pinbot game so far. considering you don't nudge or pass, you're damn good, better than me and I occasionally nudge and pass a lot. I really felt for you on those metamorphoses.

I've only watched the first three tables so far. I love how Bride looks now.

Actually, one of the guys from PS Nation was playing in that stream. I will be streaming the PS4 version of The Pinball Arcade on my Twitch channel nightly/weekly Monday - Thursday once it's officially released on the PS4 which should be in early December.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The lighting looks fantastic. Totally going to be worth my money.

Is the flipper lag that was present in the PS3 version gone in the PS4?

AcridMeat

Banned
Perhaps with a comparison like that, FS will be more inclined to release the PC upgraded lighting version (especially if they fix the shitty post-processing issue with ATI/AMD cards).

Edit: HOLY FUCKING SHIT THE PS4 HAS BALL-SPIN IN FINALLY!!!
Have a look at the ball as it spins across the table... you can see that it's not rolling in a straight line, but it looks like it's spinning backwards and to the left.

Oh, this be a glorious day!

Edit: Looking at tables later in the video... maybe not. Just thought it looked like it did from that quick flash at BoP :(

Flipper lag is non-existent in PS4 version.
Daaaaamn. Will be a must purchase on PS4 if I ever get it.

..So I'll be buying tables AGAIN

Actually, one of the guys from PS Nation was playing in that stream. I will be streaming the PS4 version of The Pinball Arcade on my Twitch channel nightly/weekly Monday - Thursday once it's officially released on the PS4 which should be in early December.

Cool. I've watched you play before.

Mollymauk

Sorry that you've been missing out, but at least you'll be ballin' soon. The first title I play (if they offer a complete Season 1 pack) is the game in your avatar. I stopped playing that table on the PS3 because they never fixed a physics glitch it has, so I hope this new PS4 version has it taken care of.
Can't wait, gonna buy em all!

Thanks for noticing my avatar. That's a pic I took of my machine after I replaced the decals. Had to take everything out of the cabinet and strip it down to the bare wood. I'm happy to say I didn't break it. Took me 25 hours, and now it looks new. :D

CzarTim

Guys, are there any tables similar to Black Hole in that it's (relatively) simple, high score-based? I vastly prefer that style of play to the quest based stuff.

vireland

On a somewhat related note, real-world Medieval Madness pins are FINALLY being re-run by Planetary Pinball who have the Williams license. Thank god. Prices were getting nuts, with nice original run ones going for $12k and up. A regular (LE's are already sold out) one is $7995, $1000 deposit at signup. Delivery late 2014.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Guys, are there any tables similar to Black Hole in that it's (relatively) simple, high score-based? I vastly prefer that style of play to the quest based stuff.

Yeah those are probably my favorite tables as well. I love stuff like Space Shuttle, Black Knight, and even the really simple stuff like Firepower

Brashnir

In addition to the other suggestions - Firepower, Flight 2000, Centaur, Gorgar. I tend to prefer that era of tables myself. I'm hoping Sorcerer comes to TPS soon.

baphomet

Ive bought every single table on ps3/vita, i really dont want to have fo buy them all again.
although i probably will

Glass Joe

FarSight has yet to receive their Xbox One dev kit, so they have not begun development as of yet.

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome and kind words.

So, did they just up and cancel the Wii U version? If I remember correctly, it was originally intended for launch / near launch back in 2012. I've seen builds of it. I don't get why a few tables aren't put out to get the ball rolling (sorry for pun) and then DLC added later.

I really wanted this. Zen/Star Wars is okay but I prefer real elements to fantasy.

-MB-

It's funny they had a Wiiu versions supposedly done for certification to Nintendo back in march, and it's still nowhere to be seen, yet they can whip out a PS4 version in no time.
Yea, that's going to inspire Nintendo fans to go out and buy it on Wiiu once it actuallly is out.

Shaneus

Oh, I meant to ask (if PW is still around): Has strobe multiball for AfM been properly tweaked/setup so that we actually get a strobe and complete darkness? Because it would be rad as hell if it was, and somewhat disappointing if it wasn't.

Weng

So, did they just up and cancel the Wii U version? If I remember correctly, it was originally intended for launch / near launch back in 2012. I've seen builds of it. I don't get why a few tables aren't put out to get the ball rolling (sorry for pun) and then DLC added later.

I really wanted this. Zen/Star Wars is okay but I prefer real elements to fantasy.

It's funny they had a Wiiu versions supposedly done for certification to Nintendo back in march, and it's still nowhere to be seen, yet they can whip out a PS4 version in no time.
Yea, that's going to inspire Nintendo fans to go out and buy it on Wiiu once it actuallly is out.
I'd also like to know what's up with it. I was really looking forward to it.

This makes me want a PS4 asap, more than Resogun & Killzone right now tbh.

I have one question though, for anyone who has it, what's the situation on trophies? On Vita, the last few releases had none and I heard it was because they hit their limit?

Also, are all the tables available for PS3/Vita available already, or just most?

Wonko_C

I haaaate you, H-A-R-E-M loop! Either I overshoot it or undershoot it, when I get it it feels like I did it out of luck, and I'm supposed to do it 5 times for the harem multiball? I just can't get the timing rigtht. Twice I've been close to completing it, only to lose my last ball attempting to get the last letter.

This makes me want a PS4 asap, more than Resogun & Killzone right now tbh.

I have one question though, for anyone who has it, what's the situation on trophies? On Vita, the last few releases had none and I heard it was because they hit their limit?

Also, are all the tables available for PS3/Vita available already, or just most?

Well, it's the thing I'm still most excited for on my brand new PS4. To start it's going to be just the first season of tables, with the rest to follow. Trophies they're still limited, but they're distributing them differently this time to help that problem somewhat.

I haaaate you, H-A-R-E-M loop! Either I overshoot it or undershoot it, when I get it it feels like I did it out of luck, and I'm supposed to do it 5 times for the harem multiball? I just can't get the timing rigtht. Twice I've been close to completing it, only to lose my last ball attempting to get the last letter.

It's the standard goal I gave up trying. Every other table I've cared to play I've got to the wizard goals... but not that one. On a couple of occasions I got two balls locked for Harem multiball. I've never got it going.

If I stop the ball to let the tiger loop time out, I struggle to make the shot. I can hit the tiger loop pretty reliably with the ball in motion. Between that, AND the genie multiball lock cancelling out the harem multiball when it's lit... I gave up. One day I might fluke it, but I'm not going to waste time trying for it when I could be going for high scores or trying to beat wizard modes or whatever!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
HUMBLE BUNDLE Zen Pinball Weekly Sale!

It's no TPA, but for as low as $1 you can grab Steam keys for many great tables (12 tables iirc), with $6.01 you get the Marvel Origins pack, Marvel Avengers pack and Star Wars pack1 too (another 12 tables)!

Shaneus

I actually meant to post that in here as well... damn good deal!

The cynic in me has me wondering though, coincidence they did this around the same time that TPA was released on PC?

microtubule

This week's Humble Bundle deal is really good! never thought I would see the day I have so many pinball tables to play on Steam now.

Glad to hear about the post-processing, can't wait to check it out. Patch notes here:

What's New:

- Table Pack 20: Cue Ball Wizard and El Dorado: City of Gold.
- Dual-stage flippers On/Off in table settings. Currently hard-set to a 60% threshold.
- Reverse nudge On/Off in table settings.
- Event cameras On/Off in table settings.
- Added sound volume settings
- Added setting to toggle vibration on the controller

What's Fixed:

- Fixed issue if you bought pro table pack, then bought non pro season you "lost" pro mode on the table pack.
- Fix for portrait cameras cutting off the flippers.
- Fixes for various application focus issues, such as input being processed when dismissing the Steam overlay or when the application doesn't have focus.
- Camera flyby properly restores after exiting table exploration.
- Fix for controllers on high-score initials entry in portrait.
- Fix for analog stick input. Plunger rods shouldn't "pop" and nudging was reverted to the way it is handled on Xbox 360 and PS3.
- AA fixed for AMD cards
- Fixed Twilight Zone flashers
- Fixed analog stick input deadzones.
- Fix for mouse input on sliders.
- Upper flipper threshold changed to 5% from 60%.
- Fixed the habitrail on the UI on various screens in landscape.
- Minor art fixes.

Top Bottom