• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

I grabbed the humble bundle of all the Zen stuff, and I'm happy to hear that TPA now has fixed Post processing.

Monitor ROTATE!

edit: I hope you don't like using a joypad to play pinball arcade tables with extra flippers. because this update broke them! fix one thing, break another. they still work using a keyboard, but using either my 360 or DS4... extra flippers do not flip. hopefully they fix that soon as... well frankly it's made a lot of tables unplayable for me :/

Minsc

Gold Member
POST PROCESSING IS FINALLY WORKING PROPERLY ON AMD CARDS!!!!!!!!

Great, now I have no excuses left to put off taking PC screens of all the tables for the OP lol. Well, I can't really complain. And I'll get to do it all over again when DX11 is out next year.

Looks like the new table pack is out too, wrapping up season 2. Fish Tales to start off Season 3 would be incredible. Season 3 will be the best one to date if it gets Fish Tales and Addams Family (never give up hope!). :)

I grabbed the humble bundle of all the Zen stuff, and I'm happy to hear that TPA now has fixed Post processing.

Monitor ROTATE!

edit: I hope you don't like using a joypad to play pinball arcade tables with extra flippers. because this update broke them! fix one thing, break another. they still work using a keyboard, but using either my 360 or DS4... extra flippers do not flip. hopefully they fix that soon as... well frankly it's made a lot of tables unplayable for me :/

At least on PC they could potentially fix this problem tomorrow, but realistically it will be early next week. Go complain on the PC forum over at PAF if no one else has yet.

Shaneus

85251c4e7732f319629ec0061d63792c

Fish Tales perhaps?

Also, Whirlwind will be the FTotM.
Is that the latest hint?

Um... Cyclone? Unless the "tornado" in the poster is referring to Whirlwind being free (which I think they normally refer to largely in their posters, yes?).

Minsc

Gold Member
Is that the latest hint?

Um... Cyclone? Unless the "tornado" in the poster is referring to Whirlwind being free (which I think they normally refer to largely in their posters, yes?).

It's a cyclone of fish, maybe we get both tables. Someone at PAF said the tornado is probably a tie-in for whatever the table of the month will be. Also if Table Pack 21 is just a single table like the image suggests ("season 3 table," though it's silly to believe that means season 3 consists of a single table as well if you take it literally, so who knows), I wonder if that means they're slowing down the releases or anything, or if there's a reason why (besides just being pure awesome) Fish Tales would potentially get a whole table pack slot to itself.

Vyse24

Monitor ROTATE!

Toggle the upper flipping setting on the table. Seems to fix it.

Is that the latest hint?

Yep. They also spelled Whirlwind as Whirl Whind. Don't know if that was intentional or not though.

Shaneus

It's a cyclone of fish, maybe we get both tables. Someone at PAF said the tornado is probably a tie-in for whatever the table of the month will be. Also if Table Pack 21 is just a single table like the image suggests ("season 3 table," though it's silly to believe that means season 3 consists of a single table as well if you take it literally, so who knows), I wonder if that means they're slowing down the releases or anything, or if there's a reason why (besides just being pure awesome) Fish Tales would potentially get a whole table pack slot to itself.
Wouldn't be surprised if FT gets it's own slot. I also thought those things being flown around in that picture were dinosaurs or something. If they're fish, then almost definitely Fish Tales.

Still want High Speed more than anything though :(

Can I assume this has been posted?

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Pay what you want for awesome games from Zen Studios and support charity!
Game box Pinball FX2 -
Earth Defense Table

Game box Pinball FX2 -
Paranormal Table

Game box Pinball FX2 -
Epic Quest Table
Pay $6 or more to unlock three more games!

Game boxlock icon Pinball FX2 - Marvel Pinball: Avengers Chronicles Pack

Game boxlock icon Pinball FX2 -
Star Wars Pack

Marvel Pinball Original Pack

Bebpo

Banned
Can I assume this has been posted?

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Pay what you want for awesome games from Zen Studios and support charity!
Game box Pinball FX2 -
Earth Defense Table

Game box Pinball FX2 -
Paranormal Table

Game box Pinball FX2 -
Epic Quest Table
Pay $6 or more to unlock three more games!

Game boxlock icon Pinball FX2 - Marvel Pinball: Avengers Chronicles Pack

Star Wars Pack

Marvel Pinball Original Pack

Sweet! Thanks for reposting. Missed this.

I'm not really a big fan of the FX2 ball physics and tables (too easy, games go on forever). But for $6 I'll gladly take a dozen new tables to have fun with!

Shaneus

Some IRL machine(ish) news: Just received some Superbands to put on the flippers of my High Speed. It's so strange, they're SUPER grippy and whilst they make things like live catches stupidly easy to do and make it feel a little snappier in general, they also feel like they suck any life or "personality" out of the ball. Spin practically feels non-existent when playing with them, and a ball rolling down the lanes to the flipper actually feel like they're losing momentum when they hit the flipper rubber (they may not, but they definitely feel like it).

Unfortunately, there's literally no way for me to get Saturn Rings to Australia for me to try (which were the ones I wanted to try in the first place). So I'm going back to my old red rings for High Speed. At least it feels like real pinball that way :/

I'm not really a big fan of the FX2 ball physics and tables (too easy, games go on forever). But for $6 I'll gladly take a dozen new tables to have fun with!
I was the same... and apparently there are the odd two or three that are kinda close to what an IRL table would be like, so it might not be that bad.

Some IRL machine(ish) news: Just received some Superbands to put on the flippers of my High Speed. It's so strange, they're SUPER grippy and whilst they make things like live catches stupidly easy to do and make it feel a little snappier in general, they also feel like they suck any life or "personality" out of the ball. Spin practically feels non-existent when playing with them, and a ball rolling down the lanes to the flipper actually feel like they're losing momentum when they hit the flipper rubber (they may not, but they definitely feel like it).

Unfortunately, there's literally no way for me to get Saturn Rings to Australia for me to try (which were the ones I wanted to try in the first place). So I'm going back to my old red rings for High Speed. At least it feels like real pinball that way :/

I was the same... and apparently there are the odd two or three that are kinda close to what an IRL table would be like, so it might not be that bad.

I like Excalibur quite a bit, but that's not in the humble bundle. I do like Blade quite a lot and that is. I've got a nack for the Clone Wars table too. that thing combos like you wouldn't believe.

I think Blade is my favorite of the ones I have now... although I do love the uncertainty gate in Fear Itself. That noise... that loop... very cool.

Shaneus

Sure Excalibur isn't in the humble bundle? That HB had a hell of a lot of tables! Edit: Nope. But do I have those other tables you mentioned?

Also on the new tables (El Dorado and Cue Ball): Owning them via the season pass on PC, I really can't see myself playing them often (if at all) on my iPad, so I think I'll give them a miss. First tables I've not purchased since I skipped Ripley's and Harley on iOS.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

I'm considering this as well, but the physics are pretty terrible, and the nudge is REALLY bad in FX2. Take TPA's physics and give us some fantasy tables like FX2 and you've got a match made in heaven - infinite tables, infinite possibilities.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Maybe one of you guys can help me

I usually play PA in fullscreen window mode cause it kills the input lag. But all of sudden the game runs like in slow motion when using window mode and i have no clue why, it worked without problems until now and nothing was changed in the option or on this PC.

Any ideas?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Maybe one of you guys can help me

I usually play PA in fullscreen window mode cause it kills the input lag. But all of sudden the game runs like in slow motion when using window mode and i have no clue why, it worked without problems until now and nothing was changed in the option or on this PC.

Any ideas?

I have the opposite issue. The game slows to a crawl in fullscreen, but it's playable in windowed mode.

Minsc

Gold Member
Updated OP for table pack 20 banner art:

5YLEp4v.jpg

UcJSyC6.png
eO0ApQM.jpg

Which now wraps up the first two seasons. The break down of manufacturers for them is:

Core Pack: Williams: 01 | Gottlieb: 01 | Bally: 01 | Stern: 01
Season 01: Williams: 09 | Gottlieb: 02 | Bally: 06 | Stern: 01
Season 02: Williams: 06 | Gottlieb: 08 | Bally: 04 | Stern: 01

Shaneus

Cheap stuff on Steam. Haven't checked TPA (shame we just miss out on S3 pricing in the sale!) but PFX2 stuff is cheap. Think I'm gonna grab Excalibur.

I would second the recommendation on FX2. The physics aren't nearly as realistic as Pinball Arcade (basically the ball is too fast, feels like a ping pong ball). It's also a little too easy to hold the ball with the flippers. But, it's a super polished, beautiful game and is a lot of fun to play. I really like the Star Wars tables and that Epic Quest table among others.

What and the god at these prices? I guess they are preparing for Steam sales.

I would second the recommendation on FX2. The physics aren't nearly as realistic as Pinball Arcade (basically the ball is too fast, feels like a ping pong ball). It's also a little too easy to hold the ball with the flippers. But, it's a super polished, beautiful game and is a lot of fun to play. I really like the Star Wars tables and that Epic Quest table among others.

Indeed, I was one of the first people lobbying for it on Steam and they listened well. You can enable OGSSAA in FX2 not sure if anyone has anything on Arcade yet at Guru. Some of the tables are just incredible and far more enticing to me than anything Arcade offers.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I was thinking about that hint with the Sharknado joke. Could we also see Seawitch along with Fish Tales? Or one of the two?

Could well go cheaper on a daily sale as I think the current discount is the sale-length one... but for $1.50, I wasn't going to argue. Not going out of my way to get any of the others though.

I picked up a couple more tables. I'd grabbed the bunch in the humble bundle. I didn't get everything. Excalibur and a couple more marvel tables (I like fantastic four quite a bit).

edit: nothing like beating the pants off a table on your first go! I've always got on well with Fantastic Four :)

edit 2: portrait mode feels like cheating in pinball games. I know it's not though, but I score so much better that way.

edit 3: just beat Enter the Zone finally on the PC version :)

Ronabo

I just had a 27 Billion point game on Mars Attacks and did all the normal goals and half the wizard goals during that game. Of course I don't get credit for completing the wizard goals.

Shaneus

So I played TPA on a PS4 kiosk today. Didn't blow me away like I'd expected, but I can only assume that's because a) it's a VERY early release version and b) the kiosk was set up by muppets and looked like it was running in 720P or 1366x768. Played funny too, with ball speeds inconsistent and all over the shop (it was CV, BTW).

Not sure what the delay is in bringing it to PC. Didn't look like anything overly sophisticated... or sophisticated enough that a low-end dedicated GPU couldn't handle.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
So I played TPA on a PS4 kiosk today. Didn't blow me away like I'd expected, but I can only assume that's because a) it's a VERY early release version and b) the kiosk was set up by muppets and looked like it was running in 720P or 1366x768. Played funny too, with ball speeds inconsistent and all over the shop (it was CV, BTW).

Not sure what the delay is in bringing it to PC. Didn't look like anything overly sophisticated... or sophisticated enough that a low-end dedicated GPU couldn't handle.

Did you notice any improvements to the lighting engine?

Shaneus

Did you notice any improvements to the lighting engine?
Oh, the lighting takes a dump over every other platform thus far. Playfield textures are still quite low-res and would make the biggest difference once that update is pushed out, but the lighting does look pretty damn good (if a bit overdone).

You can choose ambient lighting from (I think) 1.00 (might've been 0.80) down to 0.10 but it was largely unplayable at it's lowest setting. I bumped it up to ~0.30 and it looked nice enough without removing some of the detail and making it hard to play. Shame it wasn't another table though, I'm not a big fan of how gaudy CV typically looks regardless of what lighting engine it uses.

Oh, the lighting takes a dump over every other platform thus far. Playfield textures are still quite low-res and would make the biggest difference once that update is pushed out, but the lighting does look pretty damn good (if a bit overdone).

You can choose ambient lighting from (I think) 1.00 (might've been 0.80) down to 0.10 but it was largely unplayable at it's lowest setting. I bumped it up to ~0.30 and it looked nice enough without removing some of the detail and making it hard to play. Shame it wasn't another table though, I'm not a big fan of how gaudy CV typically looks regardless of what lighting engine it uses.

the slow down is apparently already fixed in later builds than the one the kiosk demo is based on.

http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/6694-Cirqus-Voltaire-DMD?p=119565&viewfull=1#post119565

no mention of TPA on 'The Drop' on PlayStation blog. looks like it's going to be at least another week before we get this. blah.

Ugh, my most anticipated PS4 game and the waiting continues...

Still looking forward to the announcement of the pack 21 table(s) as well -- I'm hoping it is more than just Fish Tales (or, if not, that it isn't the start of a trend).

Minsc

Gold Member
Ugh, my most anticipated PS4 game and the waiting continues...

Still looking forward to the announcement of the pack 21 table(s) as well -- I'm hoping it is more than just Fish Tales (or, if not, that it isn't the start of a trend).

I think a lot of people would be happy (or at least stop asking for them to do it) if they moved to a 1 table a month schedule and spent the remaining time on minor improvements across the 10 or so platforms it's on. Like one month patch up a few tables on Kindle/Android, another month fix a few things on iOS, another month add a PC feature, another month fix a PS3 table or two, rather than putting out two tables a month and seeing a never ending increase to the things wrong with the game.

I don't actually think they'd ever do it for a prolonged time, but if it really did mean polishing up the game on various platforms noticeably, then I wouldn't have a big issue with less tables. Trouble is whether they'd have to charge less for those months, or could get away with just doing tables with more demand at a higher price.

Shaneus

Ah, but with being on more platforms a single table release that's well polished should theoretically bring in as much money as a double pack but only on limited platforms. PC plus PS4 would go some way to make up for that, surely. Plus I think they underestimate how much goodwill and extra sales a jump in product quality could bring.

jvm

Gamasutra.
nothing funny about it :p If it beats TPA, I'll have left for England before TPA comes out, and I won't be back until early January 2014. I'd really like to play TPA on PS4 THIS YEAR.
Agreed. Not funny one bit. I've got a PS4 to open on 25 December, and I'd like TPA to be one of the things I can play that first day. :(

GuyKazama

Sounds like it should be pretty soon, but their way of handling discounts have tripped them up. From their Facebook page today:

We are having issues with sony regarding our discount offering, which is causing a delay, we haven't been pushed too far, the game has already been submitted and approved... we have to wait until dealings with sony on this issue are complete in order for them to release. Please bear with us, the wait is almost over.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The Zen Pinball thread is like Bizarro world. I know TPA has absolutely atrocious UI, and they seem to have some customer-service issues when it comes to KS stuff, but the gameplay and library in TPA is just in a different league.

Need my PS4 version already though.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, the reason I didn't leave the thread in gaming longer is because I have no faith in an early release. We'll get back there for the PS4 release for another month, but who knows when.

Shaneus

The Zen Pinball thread is like Bizarro world. I know TPA has absolutely atrocious UI, and they seem to have some customer-service issues when it comes to KS stuff, but the gameplay and library in TPA is just in a different league.

Need my PS4 version already though.
How do you mean? Because Zen has atrocious gameplay and a poor library but the menus are good? FWIW after buying that humble ZP pack, I don't think their menus are all that much better than TPAs.

Minsc

Gold Member
How do you mean? Because Zen has atrocious gameplay and a poor library but the menus are good? FWIW after buying that humble ZP pack, I don't think their menus are all that much better than TPAs.

Table selection menu is way better, on both PC and iOS. I love the grid so much more. And the general graphics are much better, but they can do stuff like having things fall apart and walk across the table, etc that you can't do in real pinball.

We also get the remastered Pro Pinball Timeshock! sometime soon I think, that should knock the socks off everything and take the best looking digital pinball table record by a long shot.

Top Bottom