• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Shaneus

I'm confused, Videogamesplus just sent out a newsletter that they have the PS4 version in stock. Is this a bundle of the first few tables? I didn't know this was supposed to get a retail release.
I have a feeling the retail release was going to be the first season. Could be wrong (and probably am) but that would make the most sense.

Did you notice they linked to the TPA PS4 manual, though? Bizarre.

BTW Those game profiles in the manual that are just the playfield without any of the surrounding cabinet look fucking awesome. They should release those as wallpapers or something.

Minsc

Gold Member
Don't know if it was mentioned, but I did see someone at PAF say they saw (so who knows, take this as speculation) on facebook TPA say season 3 will be all 1-table a month releases.

Edit: I also saw it mentioned that some of their licensed tables licenses will expire in a few years (~2 years for T2 for example), and they they will be removed from the season pack/table pack purchase screens for anyone who hasn't already bought them.

I have a feeling the retail release was going to be the first season. Could be wrong (and probably am) but that would make the most sense.

Did you notice they linked to the TPA PS4 manual, though? Bizarre.

BTW Those game profiles in the manual that are just the playfield without any of the surrounding cabinet look fucking awesome. They should release those as wallpapers or something.

It'd be a bit bizarre if it didn't include CV, since that's the cover art.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Addams Family Kickstarter, Fish Tales to be on sale, and Wii U release date would be my guesses for 3 of the 12.

My additional guesses include a Capcom Pinball add-on pack with all the Capcom tables (with the possibility of the Gottlieb Street Fighter II table as a bonus), and maybe The Getaway and/or Red and Ted's Road Show confirmed for Season 3.

My additional guesses include a Capcom Pinball add-on pack with all the Capcom tables (with the possibility of the Gottlieb Street Fighter II table as a bonus), and maybe The Getaway and/or Red and Ted's Road Show confirmed for Season 3.

I would be so happy if they got that Street Fighter 2 cabinet. There is still one locally, and well it still functions pretty well, its obviously seen better days, but i've played it in 2 or 3 different locations around town, and have so many fond memories of it. So fingers crossed.

Shaneus

Don't know if it was mentioned, but I did see someone at PAF say they saw (so who knows, take this as speculation) on facebook TPA say season 3 will be all 1-table a month releases.

Edit: I also saw it mentioned that some of their licensed tables licenses will expire in a few years (~2 years for T2 for example), and they they will be removed from the season pack/table pack purchase screens for anyone who hasn't already bought them.
Damn, I wasn't aware of those license things. Hope that doesn't mean tables like TZ and TNG won't be playable on newer releases (provided they go ahead with v2 or whatever). I'm envisioning something like Rock Band where all songs from the original one are forwards compatible with future platform releases.
I suppose this is the benefit with them having their own login and awareness of table ownership... as long as you login with your FS ID, you'll have access to all your tables regardless of versioning. Good for PC owners who technically won't have any problem ever with platform obsolescence :D

It'd be a bit bizarre if it didn't include CV, since that's the cover art.
I thought CV was in the first season?

You take that back. We're getting High Speed first and that's that.

Oh, so I was chatting to the guy I bought HS from yesterday, and found out another on-location pin. Fish Tales! I remember playing it a little bit back in TAFE a number of years ago and this one's a little beat up (but still plays okay for the most part) and it is tough as hell. Have to say though, I think I love the lightning flippers and how they force you to rethink how you play (to some extent). Via this guy I also know of another table upcoming (VERY early days) by an Australian (yes!) manufacturer. It's licensed (I don't know what it is, and I'm worried if I did I'd blurt it out) and this guy is SUPER excited about it.

That's all I can say :)

Oh, PS.
1UDmm0C.png

So PS4 is officially coming on Tuesday, December 17th. Can't wait! Will get the digital version assuming they come through with the discount for PS3/PSV customers. Here's hoping that while we will not get PS3/PSV/PS4 cross-buy that we'll at least have PS4/PSV cross-buy similar to the PS3/PSV cross-buy program. Still tempted to pick up the disc version too, just to have it far into the future and not rely on Sony's servers being there to re-download.

I hear that PS4 versions have no cross-buy option. For Sony machines, it's PS4 versions or PS3+Vita versions.

Well, that stinks. I'm OK with abandoning my PS3 investment (2 seasons) but I'd still like to keep having PSV tables to play. I suppose I could do remote play to my PS4 on my PSV but ugh. Since I'll inevitably buy into the PC version (once cabinet support is added and I build one) I'm not keen on having three platforms active -- two is enough.

Well, that stinks. I'm OK with abandoning my PS3 investment (2 seasons) but I'd still like to keep having PSV tables to play. I suppose I could do remote play to my PS4 on my PSV but ugh. Since I'll inevitably buy into the PC version (once cabinet support is added and I build one) I'm not keen on having three platforms active -- two is enough.

you're not going to want to remote play with the lag and 30 fps. I mean, I hope to be wrong on that, but that's my feeling on it.

you're not going to want to remote play with the lag and 30 fps. I mean, I hope to be wrong on that, but that's my feeling on it.

Yeah, you are probably right. Hopefully FS will decide to do PS4/PSV cross-buy at some point, not like the PS3 and PSV bits were the same, so they could just as easily decide to do the same with PS4 and PSV.

Edit: And given that PS3/PSV cross-buy means we have PSV through the first two season this won't really be an issue until the PS4's season 3, and that is a ways off, so hopefully they'll decide to do the cross-buy sometime before then.

Yeah, you are probably right. Hopefully FS will decide to do PS4/PSV cross-buy at some point, not like the PS3 and PSV bits were the same, so they could just as easily decide to do the same with PS4 and PSV.

Edit: And given that PS3/PSV cross-buy means we have PSV through the first two season this won't really be an issue until the PS4's season 3, and that is a ways off, so hopefully they'll decide to do the cross-buy sometime before then.

here's hoping, yeah.

edit: wait, it's official? 17th? we're in regular gaming again?

Minsc

Gold Member
here's hoping, yeah.

edit: wait, it's official? 17th? we're in regular gaming again?

As official as any other Farsight release date I suppose! This thread may be of interest over the next 11 days, some juicy piece of info should hopefully appear each day. With the first day's info being the PS4 release date, the bar is running decently high for me, hopefully some other good news as well.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
PS4 version so much better than

Everything, for now.
Putting it on Steam without the graphical upgrades just weeks before the PS4 version was trolling of the highest order. And most of that time post-processing was broken for me.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I hear that PS4 versions have no cross-buy option. For Sony machines, it's PS4 versions or PS3+Vita versions.

Didn't they say they'd have a discount for those who bought packs on PS3/Vita?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Didn't they say they'd have a discount for those who bought packs on PS3/Vita?

Last I read on PA fan forum: if you've bought at least 4 table packs from a season, you can download the corresponding PS4 season pack for half price.

So if you have any four packs that count as season 1, and season 1 on PS4 is $30, you can buy it for $15.

If I have this right.

joeblow

Yeah, a 50% discount for current owners of 4+ PS3/Vita packs is what has been floating around.

No word on Season 2's released date for PS4 though. You would think Farsight would put it out before Season 3 begins, but you never know.

Agent X

It's good to hear that The Pinball Arcade is finally hitting PS4 on Tuesday.

I didn't know there was going to be a retail release as well. Does anyone know what's included in the package?

I deliberately held off on buying PS3/Vita table packs, because I wanted to see how any possible cross-platform DLC plans would be handled on PS4. I was hoping for full cross-buy, but apparently that's not happening. It's good that they're offering a discount for people who bought the PS3/Vita tables previously, but it would be nice if they also provide a similar discount for people going forward who want to get in on the tables now.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
It's good to hear that The Pinball Arcade is finally hitting PS4 on Tuesday.

I didn't know there was going to be a retail release as well. Does anyone know what's included in the package?

I deliberately held off on buying PS3/Vita table packs, because I wanted to see how any possible cross-platform DLC plans would be handled on PS4. I was hoping for full cross-buy, but apparently that's not happening. It's good that they're offering a discount for people who bought the PS3/Vita tables previously, but it would be nice if they also provide a similar discount for people going forward who want to get in on the tables now.
I think the retail release will have all the Season 1 tables, pro menus and custom balls. I think the Season 2 DLC is compatible with the retail release, but I'm not 100% sure.

Vyse24

You know, I thought they weren't allowed to put the game on retail as long as Crave was still in court. Am I missing something here?

FyreWulff

Damn, I wasn't aware of those license things. Hope that doesn't mean tables like TZ and TNG won't be playable on newer releases (provided they go ahead with v2 or whatever). I'm envisioning something like Rock Band where all songs from the original one are forwards compatible with future platform releases.

Rock Band is actually going through a similar issue right now. Harmonix only licensed the DLC songs for 5 years, so over the past year we've lost a few songs from the store. You keep the songs and can redownload if you bought them, but once they're off the store, they can't be purchased by any new users. They are actively relicensing the vast majority of them though.

This just hasn't happened much before due to games mostly being released at retail, so terms are always on retail timescales. Licensing doesn't really account for the infinite supply of digital releases quite yet.

edit: there were also a couple of DLC and disc-export songs you couldn't play in Rock Band 3 because of licensing or Guitar Hero signed exclusivity rights. So for example, you could export Dani California from Rock Band 1 to play in Rock Band 2. Then right before Rock Band 3 came out, Activision was working on a RHCP GH game, and got exclusive rights. Rock Band 3 wouldn't load Dani California. When Guitar Hero died, Harmonix was able to patch RB3 to finally load the song.

/rockbandtangent

So in theory, PA is limited by the length of the term, and if anyone snatches exclusive rights to a table after they've had it, which means if they made a Pinball Arcade 2, they'd probably have to block the table from loading if they were doing the Rock Band thing.

Milennia

I cant find the retail version on gamestops site no matter what i search for lol, do we know if they are getting a shipment?
Or is it only available at certain retailers?

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, a 50% discount for current owners of 4+ PS3/Vita packs is what has been floating around.

No word on Season 2's released date for PS4 though. You would think Farsight would put it out before Season 3 begins, but you never know.

I saw it mentioned Season 2 is a few months off, so it'll definitely not be out before Season 3 starts. They have to redo all the lighting/etc for PS4, so it's a more complex process I guess.

Been lurking this thread for some time. Looking forward to this on PS4 Tuesday! I know this thread will be bouncing around the gaming board proper but I also wonder about a PSA thread to make sure everyone is aware they can get TotAN in full for free. PS4 owners are probably looking for anything and everything to play that they can right now, it's a badass table. Might get some new people to bite on purchasing.

Bebpo

Banned
Will be nice to finally try the PS4 version and see how it compares to the PC version. Really doubt it's going to change my mind on making the PC version my main game where I purchase all the tables, but you never know. If it really looks a good deal better could go for PS4. Been holding off on buying the season packs on the PC one until I could try the PS4 version.

Will be nice to finally try the PS4 version and see how it compares to the PC version. Really doubt it's going to change my mind on making the PC version my main game where I purchase all the tables, but you never know. If it really looks a good deal better could go for PS4. Been holding off on buying the season packs on the PC one until I could try the PS4 version.

With a new version, you've always got to wonder what Farsight screwed up this time.

I cant find the retail version on gamestops site no matter what i search for lol, do we know if they are getting a shipment?
Or is it only available at certain retailers?

I think Gamestop gets it next week or so. You can buy it on Amazon now but there's only one copy left.

Does anyone know if they've made Cirqus Voltaire playable yet? It hasn't been playable for at least 6 months, when the first ball gets locked, the camera doesn't reset to launch mode, and when the second ball gets locked, the third ball never comes out in the launcher.

It's possible that this is only in the iOS version, though, can someone try it on other platforms?

Does anyone know if they've made Cirqus Voltaire playable yet? It hasn't been playable for at least 6 months, when the first ball gets locked, the camera doesn't reset to launch mode, and when the second ball gets locked, the third ball never comes out in the launcher.

It's possible that this is only in the iOS version, though, can someone try it on other platforms?

The 360 version of Cirqus has tons of camera bugs. I think the PS3 version did too last time I played it, but they might have patched it since then.

Between this and Pinball FX, it's going to be a good day for pinball fans on PS4 this Tuesday.

yes indeed. unfortunately I'll only have a few hours to finally delve fully into season 1, as I'm leaving the country on Wednesday, and having a Christmas meal with close family on Tuesday night!

it'll be a good taster to look forwards to. I really didn't want to wait until next year to play this, so I'll happily take those few hours come Tuesday.

Minsc

Gold Member
Day 2: Two turtle doves! "Day two! It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas, and we have some great news for our Mac users! The Mac Steam version will be available for download beginning tomorrow!"

Looks like the Steam version got a little more expansive, not bad. Probably a much better bet than the App Store build on OS X (I think that's based more off the iOS build, where the Steam build follows/will follow the 360/PS4 build).

Brashnir

Everything, for now.
Putting it on Steam without the graphical upgrades just weeks before the PS4 version was trolling of the highest order. And most of that time post-processing was broken for me.

Was there a patch to fix the post-processing? I haven't played in a couple weeks. Guess I could just boot it up and look for myself...

edit - yep, it totally works now. Funhouse is still screwed up with vertical monitor orientation, though. Baby steps I guess.

Minsc

Gold Member
Was there a patch to fix the post-processing? I haven't played in a couple weeks. Guess I could just boot it up and look for myself...

edit - yep, it totally works now. Funhouse is still screwed up with vertical monitor orientation, though. Baby steps I guess.

There was mention of a long overdue (sorta) patch for Steam finally coming this week, maybe it'll be fixed soon.

Shaneus

Rock Band is actually going through a similar issue right now. Harmonix only licensed the DLC songs for 5 years, so over the past year we've lost a few songs from the store. You keep the songs and can redownload if you bought them, but once they're off the store, they can't be purchased by any new users. They are actively relicensing the vast majority of them though.

This just hasn't happened much before due to games mostly being released at retail, so terms are always on retail timescales. Licensing doesn't really account for the infinite supply of digital releases quite yet.

edit: there were also a couple of DLC and disc-export songs you couldn't play in Rock Band 3 because of licensing or Guitar Hero signed exclusivity rights. So for example, you could export Dani California from Rock Band 1 to play in Rock Band 2. Then right before Rock Band 3 came out, Activision was working on a RHCP GH game, and got exclusive rights. Rock Band 3 wouldn't load Dani California. When Guitar Hero died, Harmonix was able to patch RB3 to finally load the song.

/rockbandtangent

So in theory, PA is limited by the length of the term, and if anyone snatches exclusive rights to a table after they've had it, which means if they made a Pinball Arcade 2, they'd probably have to block the table from loading if they were doing the Rock Band thing.
Informative post! Thanks. Can only hope they release a TPA2 (or at least, the long awaited but not-at-all-visible version 2) in the coming months. Getting a bit sick of the UI and THAT music across all. bloody. platforms.

With a new version, you've always got to wonder what Farsight screwed up this time.
Still don't have things like graduated(ish) flippers (so you can see things like flipper "flutter" and do live catches) and ball spin. Neither could honestly be that hard to put in, I'm wondering what they work on other than tables and (recently) the PS4 release. Certainly not the engine or the GUI.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I just picked up the PS4 retail version at Toys R Us. They had it priced at $34.99.
No pro versions. Eleven different balls. There's a folder for Season 2 but it's currently greyed out.

Tables are:

Attack From Mars
Big Shot
Black Hole
Black Knight
Bride of Pin-bot
Cirqus Voltaire
Creature From The Black Lagoon in 3D
Elvira and the Party Monsters
Funhouse
Genie
Gorgar
Harley-Davidson
Medieval Madness
Monster Bash
No Good Gofers
Ripley's Belive It Or Not
Scared Stiff
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Taxi
Theatre of Magic
The Twilight Zone

Room brightness defaults to neutral, but dark looks way better and is what I'm used to pinball looking like as most of my actual play was in sleazy-as-fuck settings.

So I guess the PS3/Vita cross-buy wont apply to PS4?

Also, I bought the season 2 pro pack awhile ago (ps3/vita), and can't find a way to download the newer tables. I've looked in my account history and they don't show up, only a few of pack 2 tables do. Anyone know what to do?

edit: I got it to work. The season 2 pro pack doesn't contain them all, you have to manually download each missing pack (default version) first then download each of the pro packs ( if you don't download the standard pack first the pro pack still has a price on it instead of free).

Top Bottom