• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZetaEpyon

Yeah, I caught it with an F5 refresh and got to the final checkout page, at which point it shit the bed and was gone.

At that rate, I'd almost rather just have missed it entirely - at least it'd be less stressful.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Once again:

1) Licensing fees
2) Quality assurance

They would have the money to pay more for both if they sold more. Just sucks that even if you load the page exactly on time you may not get one. That's crazy demand.

Least he did The Dark Knight Rises with no limit. May be the only print from there I'll ever own. :(

V_Ben

Banned
Yeah, I caught it with an F5 refresh and got to the final checkout page, at which point it shit the bed and was gone.

At that rate, I'd almost rather just have missed it entirely - at least it'd be less stressful.

It turns out that mine made it in to my cart the first time I clicked the refresh link... but the site refused to let me load the cart to check out. Felt pretty confident I would have gotten it if I hadn't been stopped by that :/

Phandy

It's a bit more complicated than that. Olly is commissioned by Mondo after they get the license from WB. They probably pay something like $10k to WB in exchange for the ability to use the license X number of times. They approach Olly and commision a print from him for some amount of money (let's say $5,000) and then he probably gets like $8-$10 of the $50 per print or something like that. These are just hypotheticals of course. The more they print, the more they'd have to pay up front. Keeping them at least relatively rare definitely helps Mondo's brand.

Its wierd though. If all your product is selling out in about 4 minutes. You could easily quadruple the amount your selling and still sell out. Its a guarentee, especially with something like olly moss/lord of the rings. Why wouldn't you go for more :?.
And honestly I think it helps Olly Moss MUCH more than it does Mondo. Everyone will remember the artist not the shop.

lol pretty much. The tweet is useless if you want a drop. You need to camp out on the site.

Eh, not necessarily. I started on the tweet, got as far as shipping confirmation, then got the message that the variant was sold out, tried again, then was told the normal version was sold out. Of course, there were minute-long delays between loading pages. Next time I won't get greedy and go for both versions.

Meier

So is this always what happens the site slows to a crawl and lets random people through? Usually I just miss it by minutes or whatever so that is my fault but I thought for sure sitting there F5'ing the shit would have worked.

I wouldn't say that it usually happens. This was obviously a very, very in-demand print. Their top artist (arguably) and a huge property. Usually if you're around and ready, you have at least a fairly good chance. Certainly much higher than a Moss LOTR print.

Btw, he just tweeted that he'd sell some in the new year.. so it'll be a bit of a wait for the APs. Sorry folks!

Its wierd though. If all your product is selling out in about 4 minutes. You could easily quadruple the amount your selling and still sell out. Its a guarentee, especially with something like olly moss/lord of the rings. Why wouldn't you go for more :?.
And honestly I think it helps Olly Moss MUCH more than it does Mondo. Everyone will remember the artist not the shop.

They simply don't want the prints to become common and in turn, worthless. The reason there is such demand for the prints is because people know how rare and valuable they will be. They start mass producing the prints, the whole collectible market goes away, the value and demand plummets.

Can they make more money? Of course, but it's risky on their end because if they buy an expensive license and print tons of inventory to a print that doesn't sell? They lose out.

Sushigod7

Its a joke regardless of size of print that the site can't take the hits. They know it's going to be busy. Even if they did a 5k run of them I don't think the site would handle the influx.

Einbroch

Banned
Too much heartbreak and disappointment.

Unfollowed Mondo and turned off text notifications. Better to put my energy into things I can control.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It'd make much more sense if they used a lottery system.

For a 24 hour period, allow as many people to register as they want (each registration needs to provide CC information and commit to buying and verify based on address, name on card, etc). At the end of the 24 hours, draw winners and charge the cards. If any cards don't work, draw more winners. Potentially don't allow someone who buys a poster to enter the next poster's draw.

Eh, I'm actually losing interest in these prints. The art itself this time around wasn't as good as some other ones and this whole super limited print is just annoying. I can see why they want to keep it limited, but at least let more in. Or provide a super cheap basic copy and let the "originals" keep their value.

Sushigod7

It'd make much more sense if they used a lottery system.

For a 24 hour period, allow as many people to register as they want (each registration needs to provide CC information and commit to buying and verify based on address, name on card, etc). At the end of the 24 hours, draw winners and charge the cards. If any cards don't work, draw more winners. Potentially don't allow someone who buys a poster to enter the next poster's draw.

This is a great idea something like that needs to be done to give everyone a shot.

Just bought one off ebay for $325. I've never spent that much but this is one print I can't miss out on.

Probably not a bad deal it will be more expensive later.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I'm starting to think that some sort of hold must've been placed on the print I had carted when the payment on my first attempt failed, because judging by the timing of everyone's responses on here, and how long it took me to go back and fix my payment details and hit "Check Out" again, there's no way the print should've still been available. The "SOLD OUT" tweet went out right after I finished, too.

I hope this doesn't mean I've exhausted my Mondo luck, because whenever that Spirited Away print finally gets released, I'm going to REALLY want it.

Darryl

Banned
Does anybody have any suggestions on how to frame it? I've never owned something like this and any tips would be helpful.

jstevens gave me a rundown just a lil bit ago right here

I'm starting to think that some sort of hold must've been placed on the print I had carted when the payment on my first attempt failed, because judging by the timing of everyone's responses on here, and how long it took me to go back and fix my payment details and hit "Check Out" again, there's no way the print should've still been available. The "SOLD OUT" tweet went out right after I finished, too.

I hope this doesn't mean I've exhausted my Mondo luck, because whenever that Spirited Away print finally gets released, I'm going to REALLY want it.

it took me 2-3 minutes to check out, so i wouldn't be surprised at all.

suplex

Fire drill at work pretty much gave me no chance. Got back to my desk and it was already up, made it as far as the shipping calculation page.

Oh well, no big deal, it's only a print. Nothing worth getting mad over. I suppose those of you new to this will eventually get used to the +0's on drops you really want.

I'm sure I'll fail on the amazing daleast drop later as well. That one might sting a little.

Sushigod7

You must be extremely lucky since most of use couldn't load a page within 5 min.

edit: what Spirited Away print? Was that mentioned at some point?

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
You must be extremely lucky since most of use couldn't load a page within 5 min.

edit: what Spirited Away print? Was that mentioned at some point?

It's heavily rumored (or people are just assuming) that it will be the 3rd and final print to round out the Ghibli license (Totoro and Mononoke being the 1st 2, both by Olly).

Sushigod7

It's heavily rumored (or people are just assuming) that it will be the 3rd and final print to round out the Ghibli license (Totoro and Mononoke being the 1st 2, both by Olly).

Yeah missed both of those too! LOL Depending on the design I might be up for trying to get that one. I'm not crossing off Mondo just disappointed hopefully next time I'll be one of the lucky ones.

IronRinn

I would like to point out that there are 50+ of these on eBay at the moment and a few at BIN at under $300 already. I'm thinking give it a week or two and you'll get one for $200 or less on EB if you really want one.

well missing out on the moss def sucked after two hours of refreshing.

however later tonight Bottleneck will be having a preview sale for the Alternate Ending show, opening tomorrow.

Life is full of endings that we cannot change, goodbyes we cannot take back, and letters we cannot un-send. Classic movie endings stay forever frozen in our mind, and a tragic book ending can haunt you for days. That is why Bottleneck decided to change the rules of space and time, commissioning over 60 gifted artists for our "Alternate Ending" exhibit. Each artist will present a piece representing what they wish had happened at the end of a certain film, video game, or book. It is our chance to rewrite the end, and we hope to see you there.

At 8pm Est, the sale will go live for about an hour, but if you miss out, the normal online sale is Sat around noon Est at http://www.bottleneckgallery.com/

alternate_ending_grande.png

Andrew Kolb

mark-englert-inside-the-rock-poster-frame.jpg

Mark Englert's Skyfall

godmachine-akira--inside-the-rock-poster-frame-2.JPG

Godmachine's Akira

qBafM.jpg

Rich Rayburn's The Thing

indy_730-2.png

Alex Griendling's Indiana Jones

WPeft.jpg

Andres Martin's Seven

NBWeH.jpg

Rob Loukotka "Ruins of Gotham"

4jm73t.jpg

Shaun Lynch's Life Aquatic

Fah0E.jpg

Eva Galesloot's Home Alone

And many more. So check us out if you can at http://www.bottleneckgallery.com/

Meier

Oh man some of those are great but that one for Se7en is incredible. Great show idea! Congrats again on all the success, deadbolt!

Risible

Too much heartbreak and disappointment.

Unfollowed Mondo and turned off text notifications. Better to put my energy into things I can control.

That's one of the reasons I decided to get out of the poster game. Now that people know there's money to be had, it attracts way too many people. Getting a poster is now more akin to winning the lottery. I refuse to engage in a "hobby" where you have to spin the wheel each time and pray.

I tried to poster buddy the regular for a friend today. Stated F5ing at 10am. I have my browser checker set to 5 seconds, so I know when I hit refresh it was within the 5 seconds. Added to cart, got to Proceed to Checkout, and then got the "You have no items in your cart" message. I have a fast gaming PC and fiber optic internet connection.

It's gotten to the point where even knowing all the tricks I can't get a poster, it's all luck. When engaging in hobby requires hours of sitting at a PC unable to do much else and depends on getting lucky within a 15 second or so window you know it's time to find something new.

I've been busy all day so: +1 reg. Jesus at the last 2 pages of bitching about Mondo. You guys are as bad as the Facebook page. You didn't get it because you weren't there the INSTANT it dropped. That's what you have to be able to do nowadays. If you can't, just stop trying and post somewhere else.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Woot! Got Skyfall and the Indiana Jones prints!

I've been busy all day so: +1 reg. Jesus at the last 2 pages of bitching about Mondo. You guys are as bad as the Facebook page. You didn't get it because you weren't there the INSTANT it dropped. That's what you have to be able to do nowadays. If you can't, just stop trying and post somewhere else.

No need to be salty.

Sushigod7

Ahh so you were the one looking over my shoulder, thanks for telling me what I did.

Uggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh..

Sorry all, just not used to seeing the vitriol here. I've missed on Mondo drops too. Just don't say "Fuck Mondo, seriously this is the last time" every. single. time. on here.

Moss

It's a bit more complicated than that. Olly is commissioned by Mondo after they get the license from WB. They probably pay something like $10k to WB in exchange for the ability to use the license X number of times. They approach Olly and commision a print from him for some amount of money (let's say $5,000) and then he probably gets like $8-$10 of the $50 per print or something like that. These are just hypotheticals of course. The more they print, the more they'd have to pay up front. Keeping them at least relatively rare definitely helps Mondo's brand.

I know it's tasteless to talk money on these things, but every time a drop goes down I see people counting how much dosh I have supposedly made and its something that I find weirdly irksome, mainly because it's always so far off the mark. In the interest of transparency, I'm going to be, you know, transparent. I don't make a single penny on the posters mondo sells. They offer me a commission fee, which I usually waive in favour of getting more posters to sell myself. All the money I get from these jobs is that which I make from my own sales. Mondo goes through the hooplah of licensing, fees, pr and all that bollocks. I just get shipped a pile of posters to do with as I wish. It's a brilliant relationship. They let me do basically whatever I want, and fight my corner with clients. It's fun work and I'm incredibly lucky and grateful to have it

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I know it's tasteless to talk money on these things, but every time a drop goes down I see people counting how much dosh I have supposedly made and its something that I find weirdly irksome, mainly because it's always so far off the mark. In the interest of transparency, I'm going to be, you know, transparent. I don't make a single penny on the posters mondo sells. They offer me a commission fee, which I usually waive in favour of getting more posters to sell myself. All the money I get from these jobs is that which I make from my own sales. Mondo goes through the hooplah of licensing, fees, pr and all that bollocks. I just get shipped a pile of posters to do with as I wish. It's a brilliant relationship.

and no one factors in everything else, either. You have to pay the licensee (which can be a solid chunk), you have a lot of costs just in getting the license (Justin flying to meet studios etc), you have to get prints printed and shipped, you have to pay server costs, keep the gallery open, pay for people to pack and ship (and for tubes / kraft / tape / tissue!), and that doesn't even get into taxes and the other business operations costs. Then on top of that, Mondo flies out to LA or Kansas City or San Diego for cool screenings and events, when they easily could just sell those same prints through their site and save a lot of travel money.

Mondo keeps their prices terrifically low (I think partially via that artist taking proofs to sell for themselves to get their "fee" - which is brilliant, especially if the artist can profit more if they create something the market demands and they can price at a higher rate) for the quality of prints and service they offer.

Moss

and no one factors in everything else, either. You have to pay the licensee (which can be a solid chunk), you have a lot of costs just in getting the license (Justin flying to meet studios etc), you have to get prints printed and shipped, you have to pay server costs, keep the gallery open, pay for people to pack and ship (and for tubes / kraft / tape / tissue!), and that doesn't even get into taxes and the other business operations costs. Then on top of that, Mondo flies out to LA or Kansas City or San Diego for cool screenings and events, when they easily could just sell those same prints through their site and save a lot of travel money.

Mondo keeps their prices terrifically low (I think partially via that artist taking proofs to sell for themselves to get their "fee" - which is brilliant, especially if the artist can profit more if they create something the market demands and they can price at a higher rate) for the quality of prints and service they offer.

Exactly. Mondo are one of the few clients I love working with because they're willing to take a dive on a project for the sake of doing something interesting, weird and nerdy. We've got some bonkers plans for 2013. Can't wait to share them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom