• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in a work training thing tomorrow so there's basically no chance I'll nab a Moss LOTR...of course, if I didn't I'd probably be too slow anyway and just be pissed. At least I have something to blame it on haha.

Fjolle

what do people use to find out when the posters are in the shop? an auto-refresher, checking his twitter feed?

I get this tingling feeling to check their webpage. Then I look at the poster for 30 seconds debating whether i really want it and it's sold out.

Sigma722

Guys. GUYS. This is MONDO we are talking about. You can't check here and there if you want it.

From 10-12, I don't care WHAT you have to do. You just have to F5 that bitch constantly. Don't do ANYTHING else. Okay? That is step 3! Also, for times outside of that block, setup pagemonitor in chrome to refresh the page every 6 seconds.

Step 1? Sign up for an account, and be signed in to it. Set up your shipping address (make sure it is the one your billing address uses, and if it doesn't ship your prints to your billing address, cuz changing your address will NOT work - takes TOO MUCH TIME).

Step 2 is to set up autofill settings for your CC information.

Step 2.5 is to do several practice runs.you need to be able to get to the final checkout page in like 1.5 seconds. When the drops happens, checkout will take up to a minute, but you will be waiting on the site for 99.9 % of that time if you are doing it right.

All I'm saying is that if you want this print, you have to WANT it. Otherwise, ain't no way in hell you are scoring for the original price.

Good luck today people.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So what is the price on them? Have they announced? I hope I get one, but I'm working so we'll see. Any extra V for Vendetta posters floating around?

V_Ben

Banned
My page monitor just had about a minute of dinging every 5 seconds. Weeeeeeird, maybe they're doing some back end stuff.

IronRinn

I feel like there should be a "A Guide to Gettin' Dat Limited Paper" in the OP or something at this point. And then just to really get people's blood going "The Flipper Forecast".

So what is the price on them? Have they announced? I hope I get one, but I'm working so we'll see. Any extra V for Vendetta posters floating around?

$50 for the regular, $90 for the variant.

I remember accidentally stumbling upon the Star Wars print sale at the exact moment it went live, but had to abstain because finances were tight at the time. That is one of the greatest regrets of my adult life.

For people who've missed these and turned to ebay, what kind of markup can we expect on a Moss original?

V_Ben

Banned
I remember accidentally stumbling upon the Star Wars print sale at the exact moment it went live, but had to abstain because finances were tight at the time. That is one of the greatest regrets of my adult life.

For people who've missed these and turned to ebay, what kind of markup can we expect on a Moss original?

In a word? Ungodly. Expect to pay a hell of a lot.

IronRinn

Depends on the subject matter. Price is usually highest in the first week after the release, then they often begin to calm down. For example, Moss's Bride of Frankenstein was in the $250-$300 range the week of release and a quick look at eBay has them around $180.00 and they're kind of hanging out (Edit: And they can be found on EB for $150 shipped.) Subject matter on this one is fairly popular, so I'll randomly pull a number out of the air and say around $350.00 or so. People will try for higher, but the auctions will be lower. Of course I could be wrong and this could turn into the aforementioned Star Wars set.

Also, someone is trying to sell Moss open editions (which are, as of this post, still open) for $250, which I find pretty damn funny.

Sushigod7

Guys. GUYS. This is MONDO we are talking about. You can't check here and there if you want it.

From 10-12, I don't care WHAT you have to do. You just have to F5 that bitch constantly. Don't do ANYTHING else. Okay? That is step 3! Also, for times outside of that block, setup pagemonitor in chrome to refresh the page every 6 seconds.

Step 1? Sign up for an account, and be signed in to it. Set up your shipping address (make sure it is the one your billing address uses, and if it doesn't ship your prints to your billing address, cuz changing your address will NOT work - takes TOO MUCH TIME).

Step 2 is to set up autofill settings for your CC information.

Step 2.5 is to do several practice runs.you need to be able to get to the final checkout page in like 1.5 seconds. When the drops happens, checkout will take up to a minute, but you will be waiting on the site for 99.9 % of that time if you are doing it right.

All I'm saying is that if you want this print, you have to WANT it. Otherwise, ain't no way in hell you are scoring for the original price.

Good luck today people.

Thanks for the tip on the page monitor I just installed that on Chrome. I'm logged in ready!!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

there's no way you could've "stumbled" on the print sale, and gotten one, so don't beat yourself up. That sale was over before Justin could even tweet it out. If you did somehow load the page in the 45 seconds they were "in-stock" - unless you already knew what you were doing with Mondo, you were hosed as tons of other people were way ahead of you.

In terms of mark-up, this isn't an original, that term is reserved for 1/1 type stuff. But for a print like this, the edition IS relatively high (580 + 285), but it is Olly Moss and it is Lord of the Rings. I can't see it passing like, 400-500... and probably much lower than that. 350 does sound like about right, and it may dip below that in the immediate term.

As always though, a large external group of riled up LOTR fans salivating for the Hobbit could drive prices higher than they normally would be.

Sushigod7

there's no way you could've "stumbled" on the print sale, and gotten one, so don't beat yourself up. That sale was over before Justin could even tweet it out. If you did somehow load the page in the 45 seconds they were "in-stock" - unless you already knew what you were doing with Mondo, you were hosed as tons of other people were way ahead of you.

In terms of mark-up, this isn't an original, that term is reserved for 1/1 type stuff. But for a print like this, the edition IS relatively high (580 + 285), but it is Olly Moss and it is Lord of the Rings. I can't see it passing like, 400-500... and probably much lower than that. 350 does sound like about right, and it may dip below that in the immediate term.

As always though, a large external group of riled up LOTR fans salivating for the Hobbit could drive prices higher than they normally would be.

I will not go to ebay for prints as I haven't for the others. But I'm sure your right this will be pretty high demand because of the upcoming Hobbit. I would love to have a lot of Moss prints but don't want to reward some scalpers for eating up prints just to sell them. But that's just me and my opinion right now.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
On average, Moss mark-up is probably at least 6x I'd say (with the exception of the Pokemon smaller prints).

no way. not even close. Maybe long term, but everything this year:

Mr Smith is maybe 2x
Harvey is 2x
Bride is 3-4x right now
Pokemon are 2x
Pikachu was free and hyper rare but it's basically infinity X since you didn't pay for it
Low Poly Cloud is maybe 5x
Dark Knight Rises Variant is 5x
Adventure Time is 2x
Princess Mononoke is 3x
Defective Comics is 5x-6x
Spiderboobs is probably 7-8x

Now, the older stuff gets stupid insane, but the newer stuff in this flooded market with higher runs hasn't quite taken off just yet. The last "stupid" one is Totoro, which is probably 7-8x (not that much higher).

Meier

no way. not even close. Maybe long term, but everything this year:

Mr Smith is maybe 2x
Harvey is 2x
Bride is 3-4x right now
Pokemon are 2x
Pikachu was free and hyper rare
Low Poly Cloud is maybe 5x
Dark Knight Rises Variant is 5x
Adventure Time is 2x
Princess Mononoke is 3x
Defective Comics is 5x-6x
Spiderboobs is probably 7-8x

Now, the older stuff gets stupid insane, but the newer stuff in this flooded market with higher runs hasn't quite taken off just yet. The last "stupid" one is Totoro, which is probably 7-8x (not that much higher).
So.. from those you mentioned, 6x isn't that far off from the average. :p All of his old stuff is much more though of course so when you average out, that's a realistic estimate. Mononoke is closer to 5x on average according to EB btw ($250). I will finally buy it one of these days.. hurts too much since I missed it by 1 person at a flat file sale. :( Such a mark-up.. ugh.

Risible

I will not go to ebay for prints as I haven't for the others. But I'm sure your right this will be pretty high demand because of the upcoming Hobbit. I would love to have a lot of Moss prints but don't want to reward some scalpers for eating up prints just to sell them. But that's just me and my opinion right now.

They way to look at it is this - there are about 600 prints for the 10,000 people that want one. It helps to explain the pricing thing a little better. Scalpers are a small part of the problem, but in reality it's just a huge demand for a scarce product.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
WTF just got a credit card error after waiting on "Processing Payment" for several minutes.

:(

edit: Holy shit now I see why, when I was tabbing through I hit "5" for month it actually selects June (probably a 0-based index). DAMN IT. Should've selected it manually and clicked.

edit2: AH! Just retried with the right month and somehow got it! Can't believe after all that wasted time I managed to get through. People must've really gone after the variants hard.

Well, that was wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom