• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronRinn

I like me some Ansin and I like me some Taxi Driver but I am not digging that poster at all. It suffers from the same problem as his poster for Moon: It looks like he just copied an actual poster. Obviously he didn't here (though Moon was way too close in my opinion) but this looks like a photo with a drawing pinned to it. It's well drawn, as always, it's just far from his best. I'm in the minority, obviously. Aftermarket price is probably going to be brutal on these.

omgkitty

I like me some Ansin and I like me some Taxi Driver but I am not digging that poster at all. It suffers from the same problem as his poster for Moon: It looks like he just copied an actual poster. Obviously he didn't here (though Moon was way too close in my opinion) but this looks like a photo with a drawing pinned to it. It's well drawn, as always, it's just far from his best. I'm in the minority, obviously. Aftermarket price is probably going to be brutal on these.

shakehead.gif

lupinko

I'm getting my tax return soon, so I'll be able to get the Stout Django after all!
Through terrible aftermarket prices, dammit.

omgkitty

Tyler Stout just posted this on his website, and I think it's pretty funny:

i've had some emails about signing at the gallery, i had previously assumed i'd be signing prints friday evening at the opening, but that was an erroneous assumption. however, the reasons are pretty understandable, at least to me. i haven't seen the gallery space in person, but say its something like this:

gallery01.jpg

all those happy people, filled with laughter, love, excitement. now, ideally, for the best user experience (users being gallery attendees), the goal is to get people in, let you take a look around, purchase any prints you desire, and exit, thus allowing more people to enter. repeat.

gallery02_start.jpg

in a signing situation, the lines for the signings would begin to overwhelm the lines of people just wanting to look at all ken's work, and the one guy wanting to look at my drive poster. so it would begin to look like this:

gallery03_signin_inside.jpg

as you can see, those people in line, especially towards the end of the line, they are getting pretty angry. and eventually they explode and die, this is very common. another idea we talked about was having a line outside, but again, it would end up like this:

gallery04_signing_outside.jpg

even more chaotic. people aren't even getting into the gallery, the lines are crazy confusing, its just a madhouse.

all this to say, mondo's one goal is to make the most people happy in this situation. my whole reason for flying out is to sign prints. i'm not there to stand around, my physical appearance is not pleasing to the eyes, i'm no rob jones. the signing was moved to the next day, a one day event has turned into a two day event. which is fine, we'll motor through them, i plan on signing all of em (at once, i use a super strong permanent marker that soaks through many sheets of paper). but its all done with one goal, to make people happy.

so there ya go. i just wanted to give my side of things, why the decision was made. it was made with the best intentions possible. and the plus side is i don't even have to go to the gallery friday night. sweet.

maybe in a few months, we'll have a 2 week 'mail your prints to tyler and he'll sign em', once things slow down. the problem with mailing has always been...prints get damaged in the mail, and i can't replace them. its not because i'm a jerk (i am a jerk), its because it worries me that peoples prints get damaged, which to me outweighs having a print signed. maybe i'll do a signing in portland, in the park, we'll sing songs, laugh, some people will bring some drugs, we'll do those, laugh some more. slowly it'll turn violent, cars will be overturned and burned up. it will literally be perfect.

And for reference, this is Rob Jones:

robjonesgrammy1-568x392.jpg

IronRinn

Via Olly Moss's twitter:

This A Life Well Wasted poster is kicking my arse.

Finally, a new episode!

(And print, I'm excited for the print, Olly, BUTOHMYGODNEWEPISODE!)

Edit: Also realizing that these are going to be a pain in the ass to get. Forget that the first six came out before his career really blew up.

omgkitty

Via Olly Moss's twitter:

Finally, a new episode!

Edit: Also realizing that these are going to be a pain in the ass to get. Forget that the first six came out before his career really blew up.

I can't wait for all the prints to be bought up by people who've never listened to the podcast!

Sushigod7

Via Olly Moss's twitter:

Finally, a new episode!

I was just thinking about this the other day great news new episode is coming. I didn't realize Olly did the prints, I can only imagine the craziness for a new one now. But the new episode will help with the disappointment if I don't get one.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Well, if this isn't just a one-off episode and Rob is jump starting this thing again, maybe they'll reassess how limited the print is going to be to pull in more funds. Right? Right?? :|

Meier

Shiiiit why didn't they have THAT at the gallery opening? I'd have bought both of them. Definitely will go in for the JC Richard one.. that'd be great paired with the Daniel Danger from last year.

Sushigod7

The wall is awesome wouldn't mind hanging that one up.

i know is not the right place but i really need help with this, is for a comic shop that I will open, the name is I LOVE COMICS, and i need ideas for the logo

Maybe you should just post a new thread not sure but this is not the right place. Ask a mod.

Meier

Btw Mockingbird, this is how the Daniel Danger House of the Undying looked in the version that was on sale.. just didn't do it for me. The black and white version was obviously much cooler looking.

Btw Mockingbird, this is how the Daniel Danger House of the Undying looked in the version that was on sale.. just didn't do it for me. The black and white version was obviously much cooler looking.

I will know once I received it =)

Oh wow - I wound up getting all three (Harbinger, North of the Wall and House of the Undying).

First time I actually got something from Mondo.
3AQmK.gif

Congrats! and welcome.

Sushigod7

Got North of The Wall that went well. Harbinger reg didn't sell out very fast, it is now though.

So did they actually have the Danger print? Or was it a mistake? Strange they took it down.

Also anyone interested the Raid71 preview is live over at Bottleneck at least for a few prints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom