• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

French Connection and Matrix are up!

Matrix variant is the only sell-out thus far. Can you imagine that? A Matrix print lasting that long? You know it's pretty underwhelming if a Matrix print lasts that long, given the appeal of the property to the typical buyer of Mondo stuff.

suplex

Matrix variant is the only sell-out thus far. Can you imagine that? A Matrix print lasting that long? You know it's pretty underwhelming if a Matrix print lasts that long, given the appeal of the property to the typical buyer of Mondo stuff.

The typical buyer of Mondo stuff is looking to flip. Seems like most people have finally realized that if it's not a Stout, Moss or Horkey, for the most part it's not gonna flip. There are a few exceptions to the rule, but a Matrix print isn't one of them.

I do actually like that Matrix print, didn't buy it though, I don't need any more prints that have little chance of making the wall.

LaneDS

The typical buyer of Mondo stuff is looking to flip. Seems like most people have finally realized that if it's not a Stout, Moss or Horkey, for the most part it's not gonna flip. There are a few exceptions to the rule, but a Matrix print isn't one of them.

I do actually like that Matrix print, didn't buy it though, I don't need any more prints that have little chance of making the wall.

Pretty sure that won't ever bum me out a little.

suplex

Doesn't bum me out either.

Easier for those who actually like the art to get the art.

Although sometimes you may be able to get certain prints even cheaper on the aftermarket than retail, haha.

LaneDS

I'm overtired and phrased that wrong... it does bum me out a little bit. Pesky "not" missing from sentence.

I understand it's the way it is and the way it will be, and I don't mind paying a premium to obtain the prints but the idea that some folks only buy prints purely for money is the part I find disappointing. Totally fine with sometimes selling parts of your collection though.

suplex

Oh I thought you were saying it doesn't bum you out that the flippers have finally realized what flips and what doesn't, since it makes more prints more easily attainable.

But yea, I usually whiff on the high profile releases I want, and while it does suck, I also don't mind paying a premium for print that I really want. On the other hand, there's quite a few prints of that nature that I never acquired, and my life is just fine without them. Of course, I still may wind up picking up a few of them, but if I never did, it's no big deal.

So when should we be getting the Metal Gear prints Mockingbird? Any tentative date for shipping them?

Funny you should ask. The printer just contacted me. Picking up the finished copies in a bit. Signing is tentatively scheduled for Sunday. I probably can't start shipping until Thursday though and it will have to go out in waves.

Once I get back with the copies and verify the numbers I'll do a leftover drop today.

Invoices for international will also be going out probably today.

Local Pick Up can be done at San-Diego on Sunday at the signing, E3 (including the smash invitational), or the G1988 show on Sat. There will be plenty of other opportunities as well though.

Kerrinck

Funny you should ask. The printer just contacted me. Picking up the finished copies in a bit. Signing is tentatively scheduled for Sunday. I probably can't start shipping until Thursday though and it will have to go out in waves.

Once I get back with the copies and verify the numbers I'll do a leftover drop today.

Local Pick Up can be done at San-Diego on Sunday at the signing, E3 (including the smash invitational), or the G1988 show on Sat. There will be plenty of other opportunities as well though.

Can't wait, will finally know what the secret print is.

Meier

I dunno. I mean there's certainly a big portion of those who buy to flip, but it's probably like 25-35% of the purchasers at most (going by the fact you might see 100 or so posted on eBay on a big print), so you're still looking at a majority who don't. I think most Mondo fans are movie/gaming geeks. Someone pointed out that they obviously didn't get the image rights of the cast for Matrix so there's that limitation, but you'd think they could have done a lot more with it just the same.

Sushigod7

It's happening!!!

ibh9jxsIECm6Bw.jpg

I have them on-hand. They are sitting here wrapped up. I have to inspect them though.

I think there are 100 of each. But 20 of each will go to Ash's friends/family and the printers. which leaves 80 of each left.

I think I counted in the 60s/70s for copies accounted for.

Here is how to obtain a copy for the re-drop:

Send me a pm with your country and whether you want the reg or the var. The price on the re-drop is $53 + $15 shipping in the US.

I haven't counted how many I'll have. But it won't be many.

Also, it's not first to pm gets a copy. If I get a lot of pms I'll just randomly choose names. So feel free to pm even if you see this x number of days from now. Once they are all accounted for I will edit this post.

IMG_20140529_204643_912_zps9d144abd.jpg

IMG_20140529_204225_980_zps14a871a1.jpg

Also, an update on 空想都市論 -- Kuusou Toshiron (Daydream Town Theory) by Hebitsukai. This is going to get printed at Eclipse (the same place that did the MGS prints), but it won't be for a few weeks because they are a behind schedule on stuff. Also, currently with the number of people gathered -- which is 20, the actual cost per print is $34. I'd like to get a few more people in order to lower the cost -- hopefully get it to $30.

Also, forgot to mention -- regarding re-drop price. The price is raised to $53 instead of $43 simply because I thought it wouldn't be fair to those that bought in early and had to wait nearly a year for the project to get completed. What this means, however, is there will be extra money that was not accounted for previously: profit. However, instead of pocketing the profit myself, any profit will be used towards future neogaf commissions to lower the cost of a project overall -- such as the upcoming August 2014 one. It probably will only lower it by a few dollars for everyone, but I think it's a fair solution.

Trasher

Also, an update on 空想都市論 -- Kuusou Toshiron (Daydream Town Theory) by Hebitsukai. This is going to get printed at Eclipse (the same place that did the MGS prints), but it won't be for a few weeks because they are a behind schedule on stuff. Also, currently with the number of people gathered -- which is 20, the actual cost per print is $34. I'd like to get a few more people in order to lower the cost -- hopefully get it to $30.

Also, forgot to mention -- regarding re-drop price. The price is raised to $53 instead of $43 simply because I thought it wouldn't be fair to those that bought in early and had to wait nearly a year for the project to get completed. What this means, however, is there will be extra money that was not accounted for previously: profit. However, instead of pocketing the profit myself, any profit will be used towards future neogaf commissions to lower the cost of a project overall -- such as the upcoming August 2014 one. It probably will only lower it by a few dollars for everyone, but I think it's a fair solution.

Oh great. Anime shit being funded by this?!?! You are the WORST!

In all seriousness, that's pretty awesome of you. Thanks again for handling all of this!

I have them on-hand. They are sitting here wrapped up. I have to inspect them though.

I think there are 100 of each. But 20 of each will go to Ash's friends/family and the printers. which leaves 80 of each left.

I think I counted in the 60s/70s for copies accounted for.

Here is how to obtain a copy for the re-drop:

Send me a pm with your country and whether you want the reg or the var. The price on the re-drop is $53 + $15 shipping in the US.

I haven't counted how many I'll have. But it won't be many.

Also, it's not first to pm gets a copy. If I get a lot of pms I'll just randomly choose names. So feel free to pm even if you see this x number of days from now. Once they are all accounted for I will edit this post.

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr146/Celzero/IMG_20140529_204643_912_zps9d144abd.jpg[/IG]

[IMG]http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr146/Celzero/IMG_20140529_204225_980_zps14a871a1.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

Could you provide me/link me to some more info. You post way too much in this thread and I gave up trying to read all your old MGS posts haha.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Thanks!

Funny thing is that I'll be in San Diego next Wednesday through the following Tuesday for vacation/family wedding. Just ship mine though, would be a hassle on the plane. :)

IronRinn

Good choice. Easily the best print and seemingly the most underrated. Some people have no taste!

It was my favorite, though perhaps not the one that best fits the film, strangely. Maybe because it's a daytime scene. The Raid71 is a pretty close second for me. Not surprising that it's the only sellout so far.

Raid71 SOLD OUT while i was clicking, god damn it. Guess that's the only print i need to get at the show. I found it funny shipping was the same price as NYC taxes and I live in jersey haha. My first Killian Eng prints, I am tempted to go on EB to pick up the black hole print.

omgkitty

It was my favorite, though perhaps not the one that best fits the film, strangely. Maybe because it's a daytime scene. The Raid71 is a pretty close second for me. Not surprising that it's the only sellout so far.

Even if it wasn't Blade Runner related I would have bought it. I love his stuff, and it doesn't really seem like he does any prints. Really want to get a commission from him, or like an original painting.

IronRinn

Even if it wasn't Blade Runner related I would have bought it. I love his stuff, and it doesn't really seem like he does any prints. Really want to get a commission from him, or like an original painting.

Yeah, I really dig his whole 60s sci-fi paperback vibe.

Could you provide me/link me to some more info. You post way too much in this thread and I gave up trying to read all your old MGS posts haha.

What info do you mean? If it's about the print, they are 5/4 color screenprints, respectively + one layer UV gloss over the text. Oh, the screenprints are also all hand-pulled. For the regular there are 11 pulls and the variant has 9 pulls. To make sure the metallics did not get subdued by the inks the way they did it was do the color layer first, and then the metallic layer for each color. So extra effort/care was put into the creation of these prints.

The paper used is Stardream Silver and Stardream Jupiter on 285 gsm. Originally the file given to me had it so this was printed on some sort of off-white paper. If we had used any other printer, this would've been the case. But because of working and talking with eclipse we ended up with this final product, which I think is much better than I could've imagined. And another thing about using Eclipse -- which ended up costing more than other printers -- is they are one of the few places I know of with a UV curing machine, so the way the gloss layer feels with a slight rise from the paper would not have been possible with the other printer choices I had in mind.

I'm really happy with the outcome of this final piece. It's one of those that I truly believe looks better than the jpeg and I can't wait for you guys to get it and see it in person for yourselves. Really hoping to impress with it.

Tidbit: The main printer that worked on this has been doing most of Josh Agle (Shag)'s prints for the past 20 years -- including the color separation. If you've ever seen one of those 20+ color Shag prints in person, you know how good the screenprint quality of them are. Eclipse though, has produced screenprints with over 200+ colors for Disney, 100+ colors for WB, before back in the 90s. These projects would take about a year to finish.

Oh great. Anime shit being funded by this?!?! You are the WORST!

Now for sure any spillover will only go into an anime project =P

In honor of the release of Mario Kart 8 today I wanted to unveil this print for the Game & Print Club.

Game & Print Club Print #15: I Will Watch Over You From Beyond the Stars by Jasmin Darnell

10365725_864844950195624_7074879181672230243_n.jpg

One thing I'd like to note is this piece has been done for quite a few months -- back in late 2013. At the current moment, the artist is actually not currently taking any more commissions nor even putting out original works due to health reasons, unfortunately. She's also the artist of the Kiki print.

This won't be released until the Metal Gears are all shipped out. Print #14 hasn't been shown yet, so I kind of skipped a reveal cause of Mario Kart 8.

We should have a fancy-poster GAF cup.

Sushigod7

My Olly Moss Firewatch poster has arrived! I'll try to grab a few pics & share them here once I get in from work.

Is it in good shape? Apperently they rolled them the long way and I saw a few pictures of someone elses it has creased up like hell. Whoever rolled it didn't know what the hell they were doing.

Bii

Speaking of Moss, did anyone ever come forward with the golden ticket that was randomly inserted for the timed release of TDKR? If so, what did they have him do?

What info are you trying to find? Its pretty much explained here and in the OP on the first page.

I never even thought that the OP would be kept updated after all this time.

What info do you mean? If it's about the print, they are 5/4 color screenprints, respectively + one layer UV gloss over the text. Oh, the screenprints are also all hand-pulled. For the regular there are 11 pulls and the variant has 9 pulls. To make sure the metallics did not get subdued by the inks the way they did it was do the color layer first, and then the metallic layer for each color. So extra effort/care was put into the creation of these prints.

The paper used is Stardream Silver and Stardream Jupiter on 285 gsm. Originally the file given to me had it so this was printed on some sort of off-white paper. If we had used any other printer, this would've been the case. But because of working and talking with eclipse we ended up with this final product, which I think is much better than I could've imagined. And another thing about using Eclipse -- which ended up costing more than other printers -- is they are one of the few places I know of with a UV curing machine, so the way the gloss layer feels with a slight rise from the paper would not have been possible with the other printer choices I had in mind.

I'm really happy with the outcome of this final piece. It's one of those that I truly believe looks better than the jpeg and I can't wait for you guys to get it and see it in person for yourselves. Really hoping to impress with it.

Tidbit: The main printer that worked on this has been doing most of Josh Agle (Shag)'s prints for the past 20 years -- including the color separation. If you've ever seen one of those 20+ color Shag prints in person, you know how good the screenprint quality of them are. Eclipse though, has produced screenprints with over 200+ colors for Disney, 100+ colors for WB, before back in the 90s. These projects would take about a year to finish.

Now for sure any spillover will only go into an anime project =P

Thanks for that. WIll have a think about it. Which one is the reg/variant. Cheers.

Sushigod7

In honor of the release of Mario Kart 8 today I wanted to unveil this print for the Game & Print Club.

Game & Print Club Print #15: I Will Watch Over You From Beyond the Stars by Jasmin Darnell

10365725_864844950195624_7074879181672230243_n.jpg

One thing I'd like to note is this piece has been done for quite a few months -- back in late 2013. At the current moment, the artist is actually not currently taking any more commissions nor even putting out original works due to health reasons, unfortunately. She's also the artist of the Kiki print.

This won't be released until the Metal Gears are all shipped out. Print #14 hasn't been shown yet, so I kind of skipped a reveal cause of Mario Kart 8.

We should have a fancy-poster GAF cup.

Awesome!!

Thanks for that. WIll have a think about it. Which one is the reg/variant. Cheers.

Reg is Grey Var is Red

Nothing to think about man DO IT.

nijkap

Neo Member
MB, is there a time period for how long the remaining Metal Gears are up for? Or is it once all of them are accounted for?
Just a little confused of how the process is set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom