• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronRinn

YFjhKx.gif

Spot the differences!

Riptwo

That's a cool approach. I'm used to variants just ending up with a less interesting colour scheme, so having a few differences throughout is pretty neat.

Time for another Stout/Marvel bloodbath tomorrow. If I fail tomorrow and anyone scores a copy that they (somehow) don't want, let me know!

I would also be interested in purchasing the Stout Guardians print if anyone happens to find one (or indeed picked one up at SDCC) or have one they want to sell on. I'd love to stay at home praying and F5-ing but alas I have to go to work. I fear the secondary market prices will be too rich for my blood.

I thought you were captured by Brolinos or something.

BtvU94rIMAAq694.jpg

I hope you saw all my Marnie campaigning for a gaf commission. :D

Nah, was at SDCC this past week. did not see marnie. the ghibli film right? I really want to see that. With Ghibli though I never have an idea of what to do in terms of prints, really. Wouldn't even know which artist to pair except for Moss but I've no idea what Moss would even do. I just know that he can do it. Oh and Stout.

lupinko

Nah, was at SDCC this past week. did not see marnie. the ghibli film right? I really want to see that. With Ghibli though I never have an idea of what to do in terms of prints, really. Wouldn't even know which artist to pair except for Moss but I've no idea what Moss would even do. I just know that he can do it. Oh and Stout.

Yeah it's the new Ghibli, I've seen it twice already and I really loved it.

Will probably watch it again. Here is a link to my post with some cool pics from the theatre and goodies I got.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=122721130

Edit: YES! We need a Stout Marnie.

C'mon FancyPosterGAF, let our powers combine, and form blazing sword!

Sushigod7

Speaking of Ghibli films and pairing them with awesome artists, I'd love to see Horkey's take on Nausicaa.

I never would have put that together but your right that would be amazing. Hell a Horkey/Ryan collaboration on that would be great too. Maybe we should convince Jay first he can talk Aaron into it.

LaneDS

Should I be F5'ing the main page or the shop page? I've still successfully nabbed zero prints at the drop after a couple years of doing this.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Another frame bought for my Harley Quinn poster. £1!

Guardians Of The Galaxy Maxi Poster arrived too, but not the frame so have kept it in the tube. Will take pics when framed.

Cheska

Fuck this system sometimes. I've been F5ing since I saw they shifted the inventory, added the Stout literally right as it went up and then everything was just loading and froze. And now it's sold out. Ridiculous set up.

LaneDS

E-mail received from the girlfriend

I swear to god, I better get a print one day. I don't care if I don't like it, I just want to beat a fucking Mondo drop day for once in my life.

She has been converted.

IronRinn

I had read that Stout gets half the run (crazy) to sell for himself. So figure another 375 (maybe a little less) are up for grabs in the lotto.

Edit: It was pointed out that the studio probably gets a bunch too.

suplex

Got an http error still managed to get through to click final checkout and sold out. On to the lotto.

Fuck this system sometimes. I've been F5ing since I saw they shifted the inventory, added the Stout literally right as it went up and then everything was just loading and froze. And now it's sold out. Ridiculous set up.

Other than increasing the run what would you propose they do instead?

Cheska

Got an http error still managed to get through to click final checkout and sold out. On to the lotto.

Upgrade the server they're using or whatever? These big drops clearly can't handle all the traffic.

Kalren

I'm going to chime in and say I missed the Stout as well. I thought I had more time before they started the sale. I never win lotteries but one can always hope.

Riptwo

I'd be pretty happy if they'd take a timed release approach with shorter windows. Granted, I don't really care as much about the limited nature of these prints. I just want to collect cool looking art.

That being said, introducing something like a 30min timed edition might just make the site impossible to reach for 30min instead of 10.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Upgrade the server they're using or whatever?

Hi Programmer/Sysadmin GAF here.

Not that simple. Not always the best solution. The best solutions out there will not resolve this sort of problem entirely. Particularly if you consider their customer base is probably still increasing, so the problem will only get worse over time. Oh, and those best solutions get very expensive very fast.

I can't know exactly what their set up is, but considering how high their traffic spike probably is in such a small window of time, and the fact that it doesn't just shut the site down entirely, and enough purchases *do* go through, with what I assume is a limited budget... It's not bad.

As a customer, bitch away! Just know that it isn't a simple problem with a simple solution.

oinkoink

Neo Member
I never would have put that together but your right that would be amazing. Hell a Horkey/Ryan collaboration on that would be great too. Maybe we should convince Jay first he can talk Aaron into it.

Yeah, sadly, I think the licensing would be pretty hard to get since Disney owns the international distribution rights for Studio Ghibli films. Maybe our dreams will come true in the future when Disney wants to cash in on the movie poster business again: Mondo + Disney Part 2!

Rinemie

Neo Member

It will never happen but if they limited billing/shipping address so people were limited to a # of pieces they could buy (if I were to make a specific example: maybe 1 Stout a year). This way the same people aren't always the ones getting them all, the aftermarket audience is different each time.

Anyways Mondo is so busy on their printing/shipping scheduling alone so I wouldn't expect something like this to happen anyways.

Clipjoint

Not that simple. Not always the best solution. The best solutions out there will not resolve this sort of problem entirely. Particularly if you consider their customer base is probably still increasing, so the problem will only get worse over time. Oh, and those best solutions get very expensive very fast.

I can't know exactly what their set up is, but considering how high their traffic spike probably is in such a small window of time, and the fact that it doesn't just shut the site down entirely, and enough purchases *do* go through, with what I assume is a limited budget... It's not bad.

As a customer, bitch away! Just know that it isn't a simple problem with a simple solution.

This man speaks the truth.

Kerrinck

It will never happen but if they limited billing/shipping address so people were limited to a # of pieces they could buy (if I were to make a specific example: maybe 1 Stout a year). This way the same people aren't always the ones getting them all, the aftermarket audience is different each time.

Anyways Mondo is so busy on their printing/shipping scheduling alone so I wouldn't expect something like this to happen anyways.

Well even if this happens they'd probably be ordering from their grandma's account.
I really don't care what they do as long as there is no carting system involved, really hate that.

Cheska

Well, thank you for explaining that. It's a shame that this seems to be a constant problem that's unlikely to be resolved. I'm happy for the people that were able to snag what they really wanted, but it's a bummer that so many of us strike out on prints we legitimately want and are excited about.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o

The dedicated flippers will set up rotating accounts that use the mailing addresses of friends and family.

Never underestimate the lengths that some will go to. In a scarce resource situation, ingenuity is rewarded.

The thought of writing a bot that pounds Mondo for the things that I want to buy has crossed my mind a million times. I don't do it, because I have a stupid conscience, and also because I'm horrifically lazy. I don't doubt there's probably at least a handful of dedicated collector's/flippers that do it already.

The shortcuts that people already use (Page Monitor for notification of when the store page refreshes, saving payment information in your browser's AutoFill, etc) are all ways to try to streamline the process and maximize your opportunity. Automating all of that is relatively simple for someone who has the knowledge on how to do it.

Heck, you can automate flipping it too.

Can you tell I've thought about this? Good thing I'm lazy.

Kerrinck

The dedicated flippers will set up rotating accounts that use the mailing addresses of friends and family.

Never underestimate the lengths that some will go to. In a scarce resource situation, ingenuity is rewarded.

The thought of writing a bot that pounds Mondo for the things that I want to buy has crossed my mind a million times. I don't do it, because I have a stupid conscience, and also because I'm horrifically lazy. I don't doubt there's probably at least a handful of dedicated collector's/flippers that do it already.

The shortcuts that people already use (Page Monitor for notification of when the store page refreshes, saving payment information in your browser's AutoFill, etc) are all ways to try to streamline the process and maximize your opportunity. Automating all of that is relatively simple for someone who has the knowledge on how to do it.

Heck, you can automate flipping it too.

Can you tell I've thought about this? Good thing I'm lazy.

I wonder if it's really worth it though. Seeing the aftermarket on most of the non gallery exclusives this year there's so few that actually go for crazy amounts and most go for near cost already.
I'm lazy and I live way too far away to ever consider flipping so maybe I'm missing something but I really think designing a bot just to get mondo prints is a bit overkill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom