• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mondo is really kicking ass at SDCC.
I think that GoTG is the first Stout I will try and hunt down. It is beautiful.
Oh and that Francavilla Starlord is beautiful. ...And Mitchell's stuff too...so let's just say it is ALL awesome.

I've always wanted to go to SDCC, but it has never felt so far away to me as it does this year.

Stout Guardians of the Galaxy...
Sigh.. I see Mondo just wants the secondary market to keep growing then.

Don't worry, if you email momdo they'll just say that this is to make it more exciting when you actually manage to get something from them. Its in out best interests, see?

lupinko

Yeah that Stout is amazing, one of his best I think. But right now I'm content with my Stout Django, Drive Portrait and Vinyl and Ghibli Vinyl.

Unless it's something legendary for me like Stout Kill Bill, Total Recall or Robocop, and maybe even Reservoir Dogs, I'm alright.

I will say this, for if I have a movie made, Stout would be on the top of my list for a print.

Between Heavy Metal, The Last of Us and Groot, my eyes are aching with visual delight but sadly I won't be hunting them down on Ebay any time soon. Ah well. I hope Mondo does more video game related stuff. Can you imagine some of the Bioshock inspired stuff they could put out? I think about something from Randy Ortiz or Ken Taylor and my mind wanders to the most wonderful places.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Between Heavy Metal, The Last of Us and Groot, my eyes are aching with visual delight but sadly I won't be hunting them down on Ebay any time soon. Ah well. I hope Mondo does more video game related stuff. Can you imagine some of the Bioshock inspired stuff they could put out? I think about something from Randy Ortiz or Ken Taylor and my mind wanders to the most wonderful places.

heavy metal regs, and Groot, should both drop online from Mondo as they hadn't sold out the last time I checked on Sunday

Finally got my Lego Memories print framed and matted.

rumR90L.jpg

Not that bad.

Got one for the GF as well.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Scan them in and turn them into bedsheets.

I might frame one or two of them when I get mine, the rest will go into a binder.

Dreweyes

Just got my full set too! #40
I want to make a wedding quality photo album that can house this series, but also have room to add more pages if he makes more thrones prints. Engraved cover & spine would be awesome. Anyone know a good site to have that made?

NateDrake

Just got my full set too! #40
I want to make a wedding quality photo album that can house this series, but also have room to add more pages if he makes more thrones prints. Engraved cover & spine would be awesome. Anyone know a good site to have that made?

That idea is actually pretty cool.

lupinko

Where do some of you guys get your frames? I really like the style of that Groot frame as well.

You can buy online thru amazon for example or ikea.

Before I moved to Japan earlier this year, Michaels was my one stop place for frames.

And of course mom and pop shops.

I was also wondering where you guys get your frames. I'm gonna need an 18x24 and 24x36. I was looking at these on Amazon, but I dunno if they're very good. There's something in the reviews about the frame potentially damaging the prints.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I really like Target's frames if you are going basic (they look like the frames on that Groot print). Typically 1"-1.5" black or white solid frames.
Here: http://www.target.com/p/room-essentials-poster-frame-black/-/A-14373553#prodSlot=_1_11
They have white ones too.

Also some super-fancy frames for bigger prints.
http://www.target.com/p/room-essentials-molded-poster-frame/-/A-14263477#prodSlot=_1_1

My issue is getting a frame for the custom MGS print we had done, it's slightly too big for the frame I had for it. How did you guys frame that? I don't really want to spend $100 if I don't have to.

lupinko

I was also wondering where you guys get your frames. I'm gonna need an 18x24 and 24x36. I was looking at these on Amazon, but I dunno if they're very good. There's something in the reviews about the frame potentially damaging the prints.

Just go to Michaels, they sell good retail frames and also custom made frames too. Best of all they always have weekly coupons that discount the frames from 35-50% off.

Sushigod7

Yeah don't get these just get something local. The few frames I've ordered on Amazon got damaged I won't order from there anymore.

Just a word of caution for people getting frames from places like Michael's and Target. You may want to pick up some acid free paper to place between the work and the backing board for protection from acid leaking into the paper and staining. Also, if the glass isn't UV protected then avoid placing it in direct sunlight. In a perfect world, we could all have our delightful prints custom framed with museum glass and acid free mats and paper but that gets painfully expensive. However you can take some precautions to get the most mileage out of those more reasonably priced frames.

Personally, I try and have at least one or two prints custom framed a year, sort of as a treat to myself and a way to better protect my collection. Its a slow process but certainly easier on the wallet.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Yeah don't get these just get something local. The few frames I've ordered on Amazon got damaged I won't order from there anymore.

They have decent enough customer service though. They've quickly replaced any broken frames after I emailed them.

That said, I wouldn't use them for anything I really value. Those frames are dirt cheap. I don't know what they use to cover the wood, but I have some frames from them where the black layer started to bubble/warp.

What sort of things should I be looking to avoid in a frame? I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I want to make sure my prints will be safe and sound inside of them, too. Is there specific wood I should be looking for? I'm new to this whole "taking care of my stuff" thing.

These are the 2 prints I'm framing, btw:
"Trailblazer" by C. Billadeau, and the Ghost in the Shell print posted earlier in this thread. Luckily my friend snagged one for me at SDCC. Waited until a day after it was released, too. Thought they were gonna be sold out by the time he got around to the Mondo booth.

IronRinn

What sort of things should I be looking to avoid in a frame? I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I want to make sure my prints will be safe and sound inside of them, too. Is there specific wood I should be looking for? I'm new to this whole "taking care of my stuff" thing.

These are the 2 prints I'm framing, btw:
"Trailblazer" by C. Billadeau, and the Ghost in the Shell print posted earlier in this thread. Luckily my friend snagged one for me at SDCC. Waited until a day after it was released, too. Thought they were gonna be sold out by the time he got around to the Mondo booth.

Sort of quick overview, anyone who wants please feel free to add/correct:

The thing you want to remember about framing is that, in addition to displaying the art, you want to preserve it. So make sure your backing board, mat (if you use one), and mounting tape (if you are using a mat) are all acid free. If you don't use a mat, get spacers to put some distance between the art and the glass as, particularly with screen prints like your GitS, ink can transfer from the art to the glass, especially if you get some moisture trapped in there. UV protective glass is good but if you can't get it, keep the art out of direct sunlight. Also, make sure that the backing board, mat/spacers aren't too tightly pressed together in the frame. The paper expands and contracts in response to changes in temperature and humidity in your house, so you want to give it room to do so freely. Pinching it all together can cause the paper to wrinkle and warp.

Sushigod7

Also don't let anything touch your print don't let them hinge tape it etc. Experienced framers can get them in without causing possible damage to your print. Make sure it's clear to the big box stores if you leave it there for a custom job.

IronRinn

Also don't let anything touch your print don't let them hinge tape it etc. Experienced framers can get them in without causing possible damage to your print. Make sure it's clear to the big box stores if you leave it there for a custom job.

Well hinging in and of itself is fine, so long as you're not using something with an adhesive (which most big stores probably will be, so we are more or less in agreement). I feel like this usually comes up when talking about this stuff, but here's the Library of Congress's guidelines on the matter if you really want to go crazy.

If you just want to get this up on your wall, I think the basic acid-free stuff and spacers should be fine. Other than that I think you'll learn what everyone does: the print is often the least expensive part of getting art on your wall.

Sushigod7

Well hinging in and of itself is fine, so long as you're not using something with an adhesive (which most big stores probably will be, so we are more or less in agreement). I feel like this usually comes up when talking about this stuff, but here's the Library of Congress's guidelines on the matter if you really want to go crazy.

If you just want to get this up on your wall, I think the basic acid-free stuff and spacers should be fine. Other than that I think you'll learn what everyone does: the print is often the least expensive part of getting art on your wall.

I only mention it because I took my Moss Spirited Away to Michaels to get a new piece of acrylic for the frame. The stupid thing was they wouldn't sell me the plastic at a decent price unless they put it all together for me. But I had the frame and wanted it done so I left it with them asked them multiple times "nothing is going to be attached or touching the print right" to which they said yes of course not. So they put it all together picked it up and months later when I took it out of the frame found they hinge taped it and the tape tore a layer off the back of the print when I removed it. Just be careful.

IronRinn

I only mention it because I took my Moss Spirited Away to Michaels to get a new piece of acrylic for the frame. The stupid thing was they wouldn't sell me the plastic at a decent price unless they put it all together for me. But I had the frame and wanted it done so I left it with them asked them multiple times "nothing is going to be attached or touching the print right" to which they said yes of course not. So they put it all together picked it up and months later when I took it out of the frame found they hinge taped it and the tape tore a layer off the back of the print when I removed it. Just be careful.

I think the warning is both necessary and valid, for sure. Really, for anyone considering the price point of a Michaels or AC Moore for a custom framing you should instead look into ordering from a place like Frame Destination. Get all the stuff and assemble it yourself.

7/31/2014:

Two-Face Artist Proof Edition by Phantom City Creative

bb65ca10-2f46-449a-bfd9-3136c365d3bf.jpg

"TWO-FACE" (main) 18" x 24" Signed and numbered AP limited edition of 40 (separate of Mondo's sold out edition). Screen print. Printed by D&L Screen Printing. $70

How to buy online: http://phantomcitycreative.bigcartel.com/ @ 2 PM EST

Two-Face Variant Artist Proof Edition by Phantom City Creative

00a3e210-2278-4032-84f9-22b83ad1a809.jpg

"TWO-FACE (variant)" 18" x 24" Signed and numbered AP limited edition of 22 (separate of Mondo's sold out edition). Screen print. Printed by D&L Screen Printing. $100

How to buy online: http://phantomcitycreative.bigcartel.com/ @ 2 PM EST

Sushigod7

I think the warning is both necessary and valid, for sure. Really, for anyone considering the price point of a Michaels or AC Moore for a custom framing you should instead look into ordering from a place like Frame Destination. Get all the stuff and assemble it yourself.

Yeah exactly this is a much better option. Lately I've just been grabbing regular size frames at Hobby Lobby cutting acid free backing myself and then ordering custom mats from them if needed.

Risible

You can frame a 24x36 for around $125 from American Frame online. That's with acid-free backing and a mat, but not UV plexiglass.

You can see the result in my post here. The nice thing is you get to do it yourself and make sure no one manhandles your print, very important when dealing with your high-ticket posters.

Riptwo

Time for another Stout/Marvel bloodbath tomorrow. If I fail tomorrow and anyone scores a copy that they (somehow) don't want, let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom