• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OG Loc

As someone who is looking into getting into prints that last page page is horrifying lol. Especially since I've been heavily involved in sneakers for years and that has recently gotten infested with bots and resellers.

*gulp*

Rinemie

Neo Member
The dedicated flippers will set up rotating accounts that use the mailing addresses of friends and family.

Never underestimate the lengths that some will go to. In a scarce resource situation, ingenuity is rewarded.

Can you tell I've thought about this? Good thing I'm lazy.

True all of this is possible but my idea is to make it hard for a flippers to get their hands on them. As it stands right now the system already sucks so I'd go with anything that would make it harder for scalpers/easier for collectors.

Sushigod7

I missed Stout today despite being on the page when it dropped and all. Just died on me at shipping. Haven't missed a Mondo print I wanted for a long time I forgot how much it burns ugh. Happy to see some people did get it though. The flipper prices are to hight right no hoping for lotto.

Missed the Stout today too, but the guy I got the latest Geddes release for hooked me up.

Got this in today too and sweet Jesus it's incredible.

D1L5lix.jpg

It's bluer than I thought it would be. It's amazing.

88WsOUA.jpg

D7igT6N.jpg

Got an http error still managed to get through to click final checkout and sold out. On to the lotto.

Other than increasing the run what would you propose they do instead?

Mondo doesn't technically have a problem. They don't sell art, they sell collectables. If the prints sell out and create an insane aftermarket then they consider that a victory. They're the worst kind of participant in the art world imo.

Improvements:
  • Reducing the number of redirects. At the moment shipping calculation can include 5+ redirects. I think the billing page also has a few as well.
  • Lock the items for 5-ish minutes after they enter someone's cart.

The site is very bot-able, but they're about to release a new site design this august/september, so writing one now would not have as high of a return on investment as writing one then.

The shortcuts that people already use (Page Monitor for notification of when the store page refreshes, saving payment information in your browser's AutoFill, etc) are all ways to try to streamline the process and maximize your opportunity. Automating all of that is relatively simple for someone who has the knowledge on how to do it.

Heck, you can automate flipping it too.

Can you tell I've thought about this? Good thing I'm lazy.

Ah page monitoring notifications make more sense than creating a script to watch the twitter stream. I've heard of prints selling out before the "FOR SALE" tweet even happens.

I'll be creating a bot after the site redesign. Will probably put it on github if it works.

Roubjon

I think the warning is both necessary and valid, for sure. Really, for anyone considering the price point of a Michaels or AC Moore for a custom framing you should instead look into ordering from a place like Frame Destination. Get all the stuff and assemble it yourself.

If I was to order all the stuff for a frame through Frame Desitination, is it relatively easy to assemble? Do I need any other supplies that aren't accounted for through the "Build your own frame" procedure?

Sigma722

The site is very bot-able, but they're about to release a new site design this august/september, so writing one now would not have as high of a return on investment as writing one then.

Return on investment huh?

I think once they put out the redesign it's going to be captcha based. Good luck with that.

Also, I really would recommend not posting the code to github. I honestly don't think it's going to make mondo change their ways, and if they did it would be like new captcha devices above. And EB (previously i said mondo, meant EB) as a community, while sometimes an okay place, really is a bunch of cutthroats, that really don't want more competition. I think in the end it really hurts the fans.

If you are able to get your bot going successfully, I'd recommend just disappearing into the woodwork, or trying to contribute positively to the community.

Edit: I meant to say EB, not mondo.

IronRinn

Return on investment huh?

I think once they put out the redesign it's going to be captcha based. Good luck with that.

Also, I really would recommend not posting the code to github. I honestly don't think it's going to make mondo change their ways, and if they did it would be like new captcha devices above. And EB (previously i said mondo, meant EB) as a community, while sometimes an okay place, really is a bunch of cutthroats, that really don't want more competition. I think in the end it really hurts the fans.

If you are able to get your bot going successfully, I'd recommend just disappearing into the woodwork, or trying to contribute positively to the community.

Edit: I meant to say EB, not mondo.

You're right. I'll take his bot for safe keeping. I will bear this burden for the greater good.

suplex

+1 on that

Saw GotG last night,awesome movie. Not perfect but probably my favorite Marvel movie. Now I'm gonna need the Stout (not sure if I want the reg or the variant) and the Lego Milano ship.

Thanks for the heads up on the GotG Olly Moss prints! I still have to frame all my other Moss character prints. Does anybody have a good suggestion for frames that they've used that seem to look good with these?

LaneDS

Missed them too, that sucks.

Edit: If anyone bought extras or decides they don't want them, please PM me about buying the pair.

suplex

Protip: Follow Olly on Twitter and set your phone to get notifications when he tweets.

Helps avoid missing out on stuff like this.

Protip: Follow Olly on Twitter and set your phone to get notifications when he tweets.

Helps avoid missing out on stuff like this.

It's a great tip but some people (like myself) work places where you can't use your phone or work computer for personal uses. Today, I was lucky and just happened to be on a a quick break and saw the update. I wished Mondo drops were as generous as Moss' timed releases.

LaneDS

So has anyone gotten their Olly Moss Game of thrones prints yet?

My set arrived I think early last week, and as mentioned a few others already have received them here.

It's a great tip but some people (like myself) work places where you can't use your phone or work computer for personal uses. Today, I was lucky and just happened to be on a a quick break and saw the update. I wished Mondo drops were as generous as Moss' timed releases.

Yeah, I am often in the darkest recesses of my place of employment which is a mobile phone dead zone, so sometimes the timing is just unlucky. Oh well.

lupinko

Yeah, sadly, I think the licensing would be pretty hard to get since Disney owns the international distribution rights for Studio Ghibli films. Maybe our dreams will come true in the future when Disney wants to cash in on the movie poster business again: Mondo + Disney Part 2!

That didn't stop FancyPosterGAF from getting a Kiki commission done by Jasmin Darnell.

C'mon FancyPosterGAF, Stout Marnie's gotta get made! :D

That didn't stop FancyPosterGAF from getting a Kiki commission done by Jasmin Darnell.

C'mon FancyPosterGAF, Stout Marnie's gotta get made! :D

Yeah but unlike Marnie the artist and myself actually saw the movie. If ever a Marnie print will be made it will take a while I suspect since most will have not seen the movie -- unless a Japanese artist does one.

Got another anime series one in the works though.

yeah, I imagine they are going by zip codes or something and doing full sets first, then going to weirder orders

I received a full set in UK!

I also took a chance on the Hero Complex Gallery mystery tube. Works out at appx £10/print and that ain't too shabby at all...even if they aren't what I would pick myself. Who knows, I might discover someone new as a result.

lupinko

Yeah but unlike Marnie the artist and myself actually saw the movie. If ever a Marnie print will be made it will take a while I suspect since most will have not seen the movie -- unless a Japanese artist does one.

Got another anime series one in the works though.

I know that, I just said this one wouldn't be for awhile anyway until the artist sees the movie. I said that in a pm to you! D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom