• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind that these are all just small rough sketches.

For instance, should 3 be chosen there would be a color version with up to 20 colors used and maybe a monochrome version as well, which would feature a wide range of gray-scale. Because the sketch was more for concept/composition, it was basically only 2 colors, but in the final version there could be numerous shades of gray and possibly metallics.

Glassboy

I personally like 3 the best, then 2, then 1. All would be pretty cool, but I think he could kill it with 3 with some detail and color. Even just seeing the sketch for the sky and imagaining it with color is blowing my mind. Some shadow creatures would be cool to have too. they do not even have to be that prominent on the print but maybe just barely noticeable. Also, I would mind spending a little extra to get some color variety on this project. Cheers Mockingbird and Eng! Lots of promise so far!

IronRinn

I think either would be fine, but I'm liking 1 a bit more than 3 (2 is interesting, if only because it's not his usual style of composition). I admit it could be simply because it is in color, but I think 1 benefits from not being as open as 3. I like the density that you get from seeing them from a perspective from within the castle. Ico always felt claustrophobic to me, even if much of did take place outside. 3 certainly feels closer to the original (non-US) cover of the game, if only for the windmill.

Natlebug

Neo Member
Mockingbird, I just sent the money. Sorry for the delay, I just finished moving and I don't have internet in my new house yet. I can't wait to see the 3 sketches!

Sigma722

I think either would be fine, but I'm liking 1 a bit more than 3 (2 is interesting, if only because it's not his usual style of composition). I admit it could be simply because it is in color. I think 1 benefits from not being as open as 3. I like the density that you get from seeing them from a perspective from within the castle. Ico always felt claustrophobic to me, even if much of did take place outside. 3 certainly feels closer to the original (non-US) cover of the game, if only for the windmill.

2 would be a sweet handbill

I think part of why I'm liking 1 as much as I do (though still prefer 3) is due to the color in it. I hope some similar colors are used in the final piece and honestly, I think any metallics might detract from the tone I always got from this game so I'd prefer regular colors.

Fletcher

I much prefer 3 and I think the coloring is throwing everyone off for #1.

#1, to me, just seems so flat. The pulled back aspect of #3 opens up the world and could allow Eng's style to really shine.

LordCanti

I don't associate Ico with Escher at all. That came completely out of left field for me. Of them, I suppose 3 is my favorite/has the most potential.

I'm with either 1 or 3, Escher is nice but Ico also screamed of Chirico. And the colors need to stand out.

Size is fine for either.

Fumito Ueda himself already did a gorgeous Chihirico inspired painting (that looks great on my wall) so I'm interested in another take on it. Having said that, yeah, it's got to be in color because black and white doesn't really work with Ico (maybe if it were focused on the Queen, or the part of Ico where Yorda is already in her grasp).

It's interesting to me that he played Ico and thought of Escher.

Rinemie

Neo Member
I'm definitely in agreement with everyone about 3rd and then 1st.
Was there a proposed size for the Ico x Killian Eng yet?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think 3 is a nice compromise between 1 and 2 in that it is in between being flat and something that pops out.

Although I think I'm in the minority in that I like the flat look of 1.

lupinko

Fellow FancyPosterGAF, do you think it's wrong to ask one of my students who I think can draw amazing to draw me something? It also helps that my kid is a big gamer.

I remember one time I was drawing pokemon terribly on the board and the kid drew a pidgeot like she was Ken Sugimori.

Not to mention all the random Megaman and Megaman X she draws from time to time.

LaneDS

Fellow FancyPosterGAF, do you think it's wrong to ask one of my students who I think can draw amazing to draw me something? It also helps that my kid is a big gamer.

I remember one time I was drawing pokemon terribly on the board and the kid drew a pidgeot like she was Ken Sugimori.

Not to mention all the random Megaman and Megaman X she draws from time to time.

Why would that be wrong? Encourage that creativity I say.

Since there is print size discussion I'd also prefer 24x36. I think it'll tonal match a couple of my other framed prints that are that size, so that'd be cool if that ended up being the case.

oinkoink

Neo Member
Sorry if this is the wrong place; I'm terribly new to this. Do you guys/gals have any advice on how to set up a commissioned piece of work? I've been doing some research/reading (e.g. DeviantArt) about contacting an artist, but it seems to be more individually based. I'm actually looking more into something like what Mockingbird has done so awesomely here.

1. Do I start with the idea of the print and get an estimate on the number of interested people?
  2. Or should I first contact a few artists and see how much it would cost; then, see how many people would be interested?
  3. Where do I source the right printing press? Should it be local?
  4. Do artists usually submit an original that is scanned and then screen printed? Or is it all done digitally?
Thank you!

EDIT: Forgot to add what the subject of the commission would be: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (anime).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sorry if this is the wrong place; I'm terribly new to this. Do you guys/gals have any advice on how to set up a commissioned piece of work? I've been doing some research/reading (e.g. DeviantArt) about contacting an artist, but it seems to be more individually based. I'm actually looking more into something like what Mockingbird has done so awesomely here.
  1. Do I start with the idea of the print and get an estimate on the number of interested people?
  2. Or should I first contact a few artists and see how much it would cost; then, see how many people would be interested?
  3. Where do I source the right printing press? Should it be local?
  4. Do artists usually submit an original that is scanned and then screen printed? Or is it all done digitally?
Thank you!

EDIT: Forgot to add what the subject of the commission would be: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (anime).

I just did my Aria commission, but I had a lot of help from Mockingbird to make it happen. Unless you are willing to front the cost completely by yourself, I would suggest trying to see if there's any interest in chipping in. Advertise here, of course, but I would also go into the anime thread and see if there's any interest. I know that TTGL is a fairly popular franchise, so I would imagine that you would find at least some interested people.

You might also want to search on Pixiv to see if there are any artists there that interest you, assuming you haven't already.

As for the rest of the process, I'd leave Mockingbird (or someone else) to answer since he would provide better answers than I could.

IronRinn

Bottleneck has a Star Wars set up by Matt Ferguson. Timed edition, ends Sunday, September 7th at 11:59 PM EST. $35.00 each, $100.00 for the set, Wood Variant Set for $350.00. All come with a signed Certificate of Authenticity:

scum_fin_screens_1024x1024.jpg

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."

3 color screen print on French Paper Pop-Tone Orange Fizz 12" x 24"

"There's a meteorite that hit the ground near here. I want to check it out."

3 color screen print on French Paper Pop-Tone Sno Cone 12" x 24"

"I feel his presence. He's come for me. He can feel when I'm near."

3 color screen print on French Paper Pop-Tone Spearmint 12" x 24"

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Re: Ico sketches - I like Eng's idea of using Escher as an inspiration. For that alone, I think #3 is the pick of the litter.

#1 is a close second. I agree with IronRinn's comments on how it feels a bit claustrophobic which is kind of how I felt about the environments as well.

HTuran

Super excited about the ICO x Eng sketches! Personally, I'd go with #3, far more emphasis on the architecture which I love.

As for size, 18x24 would be preferable as I'd like to be able to have it up on the wall without dropping a bomb. I can see this going to a vote though, haha.

Kilian said he'd like to do an 18"x24" as lately all of his stuff has been 24"x36". Now that I think about it, I don't know of any Eng 18"x24" pieces. The lower size would allow for cheaper price on printing too.

Bii

Kilian said he'd like to do an 18"x24" as lately all of his stuff has been 24"x36". Now that I think about it, I don't know of any Eng 18"x24" pieces. The lower size would allow for cheaper price on printing too.

I'm for 18x24. I have too many prints at 24x36, haha.

Meier

Let's be honest, it won't be nearly as vibrant in person. :\

*Looks at GOT White Walkers print with same color scheme on wall*

LordCanti

24x36 would probably allow for more of a sense that Ico and Yorda were two very small beings in a very large and imposing castle. Selfishly it would also match other posters I have on my wall already and I could rotate a print I'm tired of/re-use a frame I already own :p

Meier

So his art doesn't translate to print?

The dark blue and black seem to be very difficult for the printer to differentiate between. Ultimately, it's very difficult to make out the entire foreground really as the darks just kind of blur together. I still like the print, but it's hard to distinguish much of it especially once it's behind glass. I'm pretty certain that'll happen again here. Guess we'll find out in 2 weeks!

IronRinn

I am super excited for Danger's upcoming stuff.

I can't speak for his GoT print, but I have a few of his pieces and they look fantastic in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom