• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got to chime in on Dan Danger...
I've got his GoT, Woman in Black, and the art print version of his Black Keys poster. All printed on black paper. All really washed out and dark looking, very difficult to see unless lit brightly with direct overhead light. I love the guy's work, but the printing just doesn't live up to the potential sometimes.

LaneDS

Anyone own this DD print that can comment on how it looks in person?

Km6JeDU.jpg

That's next on my list.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So what'd you guys do to frame the MGS Gaf print we got? It's just slightly too big for a typical frame size (about 24.2x18.5) and I don't really want to pay a ton to get it framed right now. Is there anywhere with a frame that fits?

ohkay

I've got to chime in on Dan Danger...
I've got his GoT, Woman in Black, and the art print version of his Black Keys poster. All printed on black paper. All really washed out and dark looking, very difficult to see unless lit brightly with direct overhead light. I love the guy's work, but the printing just doesn't live up to the potential sometimes.
He was actually posting about this on EB yesterday, that the black paper makes it hard for him to get the colors he wants and that he won't be using black paper for the mondocon print.

IronRinn

He was actually posting about this on EB yesterday, that the black paper makes it hard for him to get the colors he wants and that he won't be using black paper for the mondocon print.

The quotes in question:

danieldanger said:
i felt the last two prints i did on black paper were SUPER dull looking. its a weird thing about black paper but its suck up so much color. despite my best efforts to have like "base layers" for higher up inks to sit on, the vibrancy and saturation just goes right out the window. and danger needs his vibrant blues.

danieldanger said:
if anyone has the windmill barn print from years back on black paper (which look alright) and the v2 elk guard print (which looks amazing), those were printed at the same time, same inks, and meant to look similar. thats what black paper does.

So I'm thinking "to my only daughter [..}" won't have these issues.

LaneDS

The quotes in question:

So I'm thinking "to my only daughter [..}" won't have these issues.

Man reading "Elk Guard v2" made me panic, go look at the print, and then look online to figure out what he meant by that. Forgot there was a very different version of the piece done in 2007.

Was going to use that print as an example of something that looked really good in person, whereas this:

looks a lot darker in person.

omgkitty

Keep in mind that these are all just small rough sketches.

For instance, should 3 be chosen there would be a color version with up to 20 colors used and maybe a monochrome version as well, which would feature a wide range of gray-scale. Because the sketch was more for concept/composition, it was basically only 2 colors, but in the final version there could be numerous shades of gray and possibly metallics.

I like 3 the best, but think metallics are pointless, at least on the regular. If there was just a black / white gray scale version, it could be cool. Also would like to see Eng incorporate the green from the sky from the Japanese box art and the original titles from the European box art as well. Not really a fan of how he's done the ICO titles on the sketches.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Was able to pick up all the panel/screening tickets I wanted. Although, maybe I should've gotten one for Designing Movies...

I ended up missing every single ticket.

Fancy-Poster GAF meet up? jstevenson won't be able to make it though, as he'll be in Tokyo.

Also, I'll be going to Eclipse today to pick up The Daydream Town Theory. I'll talk to them a bit about Ico printing and get a rough over-estimate. The color count has been upped to a limit of 25.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Did we discuss the possibility of metallics or glow in the dark ink yet? I don't think I've seen an Eng with metallics, but it could be really interesting.

Omg. Let's please do this at 24x36. The detail will be insane.

Yeah, but so would the pricing, unfortunately. I have submitted the info to Eng based on the majority voice here, as well as email and pm of 18"x24" for #3 with a color limit of 25. The color count was upped because the size is 18"x24". I requested for a color main and a black and white variant (since he has a vision for a black and white colorway already).

In addition I've copied and pasted some of the comments about the piece and sent it over to him in case he'd like to take some of the points into consideration when crafting the fine sketch.

Did we discuss the possibility of metallics or glow in the dark ink yet? I don't think I've seen an Eng with metallics, but it could be really interesting.

I told him split fountains, colored paper, metallics, gid are all ok if he wants to use them and thinks it will fit and improve the piece, but we're not forcing it on him.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I told him split fountains, colored paper, metallics, gid are all ok if he wants to use them and thinks it will fit and improve the piece, but we're not forcing it on him.

Cool--definitely agree to let him use his best judgement on this. I'm happy we're open to all of that good stuff.

[But really let's force him to use a split fountain!]

Meier

Was able to pick up all the panel/screening tickets I wanted. Although, maybe I should've gotten one for Designing Movies...

Fuck, I've been away from my computer all day.. didn't know anything about this. Too much effort, I just want to go and do shit. Ugh.

boraaa

Neo Member
Yah its kinda bummer. Hopefully they have allocated good amount of space for standby

Though those fix went fast, I feel its ppl who wanted the security of having options during the con. They will prbly only end up going to 2 or 3 panels, freeing up lot of space on others

My thoughts

Sushigod7

I ended up missing every single ticket.

Fancy-Poster GAF meet up? jstevenson won't be able to make it though, as he'll be in Tokyo.

Also, I'll be going to Eclipse today to pick up The Daydream Town Theory. I'll talk to them a bit about Ico printing and get a rough over-estimate. The color count has been upped to a limit of 25.

Same here no tickets for me, I'll be around on Sunday only but can meet up if you guys are around.

Dreweyes

Ill be at MondoCon all weekend, so I'd love to meet ya guys, grab some food & drinks or something. I was able to get a ticket for the Geoff panel & Texas Chainsaw screening.

EDIT: Also I think we might need to figure out a survey to pm all the folks getting the Eng print for their votes / feedback on size, concepts, etc. :)

Natlebug

Neo Member
I'll be heading to MondoCon. This will be the first event of this type I ever attend. Any tips for a newcomer? For example, what to expect when buying a print, how to store it around all day and not bend it, or anything else I wouldn't think of. I would greatly appreciate the help, thank you very much

LaneDS

LOL. I own it :). If I can find some time I will pull it out and takes some pictures to give you an idea of what it looks like.

Here it is:

I like it, but it's a tad on the dark side. A lot of the detail gets lost at any distance.

Much appreciated! I suspected it might not look as good printed after the discussion on the last page. Will still probably seek it out, as I'd like a few of his prints done in a similar color and it seems not ridiculously priced or hard to obtain.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I'll be heading to MondoCon. This will be the first event of this type I ever attend. Any tips for a newcomer? For example, what to expect when buying a print, how to store it around all day and not bend it, or anything else I wouldn't think of. I would greatly appreciate the help, thank you very much

either plan to go to your car and store between two pieces of clipped foamcore. or get really girthy tubes and have kraft paper inside you can roll the prints up in (rerolling the whole role each time you add a print).

For SDCC usually I would carry multiple tubes if my room and/or car was far away. Others like mockingbird would take things flat to their car every time

IronRinn

either plan to go to your car and store between two pieces of clipped foamcore. or get really girthy tubes and have kraft paper inside you can roll the prints up in (rerolling the whole role each time you add a print).

For SDCC usually I would carry multiple tubes if my room and/or car was far away. Others like mockingbird would take things flat to their car every time

Well, if you had a flat-file installed in the trunk, wouldn't you?

Natlebug

Neo Member

Thanks! When you arrive is there usually a schedule of when artist's booths will "open"? Or is it sort of a mad dash when the doors open for people to run to where they want to be first? I have several pieces I am interested in getting, just not sure if it will even be feasible.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Thanks! When you arrive is there usually a schedule of when artist's booths will "open"? Or is it sort of a mad dash when the doors open for people to run to where they want to be first? I have several pieces I am interested in getting, just not sure if it will even be feasible.

It's the latter.

With all the talk about minimizing lines, I hope they worked out a plan with Mondo's own booth. If it ends up being just one long line just for their stuff... ugh.

Natlebug

Neo Member
It's the latter.

With all the talk about minimizing lines, I hope they worked out a plan with Mondo's own booth. If it ends up being just one long line just for their stuff... ugh.

Oh great... I was hoping to pick up pieces from Durieux, Danger, and Mitchell. Now I suppose I'll have to pick which one want the most. I also didn't get a chance to get any panel tickets which I'm sort of bummed about. Hopefully Fantastic Fest also has some activities running throughout the weekend.

Thanks for the information by the way.

Not poster related but since I know of the Neogaffers here, I don't suppose there's anyone here that can pick up the limited edition of Hyrule Warriors for me on 9/26 at the Nintendo World Store? Willing to pay for your time/service of course.

boraaa

Neo Member
Not poster related but since I know of the Neogaffers here, I don't suppose there's anyone here that can pick up the limited edition of Hyrule Warriors for me on 9/26 at the Nintendo World Store? Willing to pay for your time/service of course.

If anyone is ordering extra copies, I'd like to make the same offer. After mockingbird of course :)

LaneDS

Do we have any idea how few copies there will be? Either way, I'll ask some people I know who live in Manhattan if they're able to swing by for you(doubt I can convince anyone to stand in line though).

Bii

Wow, I didn't even know that there will be a limited edition of it.

Just went through some of my poster collection and will probably have to sell some because I have no room to hang them. Anyone interested in Jock's Batman: The Black Mirror (Color Variant) or Craig Drake's Bruce Lee ($115 shipped each or $200 shipped for both if you're in the US)? They're in excellent condition and have been stored flat ever since I got them in.

IronRinn

Available tomorrow, Thursday, September 11th, from Mondo: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles:

9a6be75ecda2bd64b8f2129f_533x711.jpg

Poster by Tom Whalen. 18"x24" screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 300. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $45

46a6e7040f788bed884fc467_533x711.jpg

Poster by Rich Kelly. 18"x24" screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 300. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $45

03519f6eced7bfd37e7b0504_533x244.jpg

Poster by JC Richard. 36"x16.5" screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 225. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $45

f40ece623f30fb1ac914007f_533x708.jpg

Poster by Andrew Kolb. 18"x24" screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 175. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $45

Not a huge TMNT anymore, but that Kelly is pretty kick ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom